Court of the Fallen
Nothing there for you to see - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Nothing there for you to see (/showthread.php?tid=3164)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Nothing there for you to see - Korbin - 04-20-2020

Noting the interest, Korbin let the notes trail off and offered the instrument up to Loren to inspect. The music box was very thin, small enough to fit on his outstretched hand - though Korbin did have fairly large hands - and the tines were almost frail, and seemed only loosely attached. [say]"A kalimba,"[/say] he explained. [say]"They come in different sizes... it really is a toy though. It's the first instrument kids are given, usually."[/say] Most often the only one too. Few had the time and resources to waste on anything else.

Content to let Loren play with it, Korbin took the chance to warm his hands back up.

[say]"Oh? And how is that? Well, it might become your problem if they keep it up. It would be fairly easy to lump all the Launeleyns together and decide we didn't need any of them in Halo at all."[/say] Not that he had any such intentions, but the elders were grumbling.

Loren's comment made him grimace, half amused, half grumpy. [say]"And I already regret it,"[/say] he quipped back. His grin was a bit wolfish; if this was the way it was going to be, he might not be entirely adverse to the whole 'advising' business. [say]"But well... Something that involves the community. With Deepfrost coming, there will be no shortage of things that need doing. Everyone will be busy... but they also won't let you stand alone if you come and ask for their help. If you offer something as thank you for labor, they will take it. If you mention lessons and such while working, they'll be more inclined to listen. You gotta place yourself on equal ground with us, Loren. Physically, socially, mentally."[/say]

That was the key. Bow the stiff outlander neck and admit you don't know everything. Show some humility and respect, and it would be returned tenfold. Just look at where they were now; something as simple as respecting a custom was already making Korbin's walls come down. Not all the way, not easily, but it was a start.

RE: Nothing there for you to see - Loren - 04-20-2020

Loren's hands weren't quite as large as Korbin's, but the healer took the instrument easily enough. Beginning to pluck the tines, he just started getting a feel for it. [say]"I never had any toys growing up. Let alone an instrument."[/say] He didn't sound sad or mad about that, just matter of fact. Glancing up at the hunter, the healer smiled. [say]"So this really is remarkable to me."[/say] Indeed, there was something peaceful about him as he continued to play with the kalimba.

Sighing, he nodded. [say]"And here I was thinking the disownment would save me from such judgments."[/say] Tone wry, he found his expression growing more serious. [say]"Alright. I will impress upon them the importance of actually getting out in front of and being accessible and helpful to the community. And if not, well..."[/say] Voice trailing off, he shrugged. If they couldn't keep their titles, then they couldn't keep them.

[say]"I have that effect on people."[/say] Although he nodded sagely, his eyes crinkled with amusement. However, he listened carefully to the other man's words. [say]"You know..."[/say] Voice thoughtful, the Launceleyn's fingers stilled on the kalimba for a moment. [say]"I believe the Palace storerooms still need to be fully and properly stocked for Deepfrost. So that we can make sure everyone has the supplies they need to make it through."[/say] He shot Korbin a glance, unsure if that was something the people of Halo would wish to participate in.

[say]"None at all?"[/say] That did startle him. Even Korbin had some of those while growing up. Less and less with every family member that died, certainly, and all old hand me downs... but still. [say]"Well... you're doing a good job with that one."[/say] It was an easy instrument, that sounded good almost no matter what you did. More a matter of rhythm and timing than musicality.

[say]"Not as long as you wear the name and call them kin, you won't,"[/say] he snorted. But already this man had a slightly better reputation than any of the others. Slightly. Not by much. At least people knew his face. He nodded curtly to the words about convincing them to change their ways, but quietly wondered if it wasn't a bit late for that.

The suggestion of filling up the storerooms was met with an approving nod. [say]"That's a good idea even without ulterior motives,"[/say] he pointed out. [say]"Deepfrost is always difficult... and there will be no outside help to find."[/say]

None. No escape, no running off. Korbin studied Loren's features in the dim light, wondering how the long dark and cold would affect the man. It always brought out the best - and the worst - in everyone.

[say]"None at all."[/say] It was a quiet echo of Korbin's words. Honestly, though, most of Loren's attention was focused on the kalimba. He smiled a bit crookedly at the hunter's compliment. [say]"Thanks."[/say] However, the healer's fingers still plucked a bit uncertainly at it.

However, he glanced up at the other man's next comment. [say]"Should I blame you for everything Weaver does that I dislike and vice versa?"[/say] The Launceleyn's tone wasn't judgmental, simply firm.

Nodding, he felt his expression become resolved. [say]"I've heard."[/say] He took a deep breath. [say]"In that case, since I am nominally responsible for people's health and well-being around here, I will ask for help with that."[/say] Giving Korbin a grateful look, Loren handed the so-called toy back to the hunter.

There was a story to be told there, under the Healer's silence. It tickled the raven's curiosity, made him want to poke and prod and lay it bare. But he decided that they didn't know each other well enough for that yet,  and let the subject drop.

He listened to the disjointed tones instead, judged the timbre and color Loren produced with the offhand patience of someone who could do better but didn't feel the need to correct anything.

[say]"You could, and I wouldn't blame you if you did,"[/say] he replied calmly. [say]"Because I would back anything she did in an instant and defend every awful decision she ever made, even if I don't agree with them. That's what family means here. That's what everyone in the Citadel expects yours to be."[/say] And if they weren't, then it was only another reason why the Launceleyn family had no business sitting as Warden over Halo. How could they keep the people together if they couldn't even keep their family united?

He accepted the instrument back. Considered it for a moment, then resumed his own playing. It soothed his nerves, to make music. [say]"If I had my lute, I could make this waiting a whole lot less tedious,"[/say] he murmured, half to himself.

As Korbin spoke, Loren couldn't help but frown. He supposed the statement made sense, but something about it made him uncomfortable. [say]"Perhaps I should let you meet Neron and Zariah and form your own judgments."[/say] It was almost difficult to get the words out, since he didn't know if he could in good conscience defend all their actions, let alone most of them.

Then he gave the hunter an amused look. [say]"Besides, weren't you just complaining about Weaver running off everywhere?"[/say] The healer couldn't help a bit of good-natured teasing and ribbing.

However, he actually grinned when the other man mentioned a lute. [say]"I didn't know you played the lute. Are you a bard as well as a hunter then?"[/say] The Launceleyn's expression grew curious, and he found himself adding, almost impulsively, [say]"Why don't you sing me some of your favorite songs?"[/say] It would pass the time, plus he might learn more about Halo.

Korbin grimaced at that. Really, he would rather not. [say]"All I'm saying is, that if you really don't want to be lumped in with them, you gotta break away. Change your name, step away from their business, shelter under a different roof. Show that you're serious about being different... if that's really what you want."[/say]  

He chuckled then, and shrugged. Plucked a cheerful little trill from the kalimba. [say]"I did,"[/say] he admitted brightly, with almost boyish lightness to him. [say]"But I'm her brother, so I get to criticize all I want. If you try, I'll have to fight you."[/say] There was a wiggle of his brows, a half dare that wasn't all that serious. Really, Loren should have punched his teeth in several times over for the shit Korbin threw at the man's family. But he was starting to realize that it might not work as a way to rile the other.

Humming thoughtfully, Korbin lifted his fingers from the kalimba and let the sound die, melting into silence. [say]"Probably more bard than anything else,"[/say] he admitted, a bit reluctantly. [say]"I don't like hunting, or fighting. But it has to be done, or we won't survive. Weaver does most of it... I pick up when she gets injured or too tired. Mostly I do the trading, and take care of what she brings home. At least, it's how things were until she got that bar. Now I don't know what I'm supposed to do for her."[/say]

There was a bit of a frown settling back onto his face, a darkening of features that had been almost bright. He looked both younger and older than himself, all at once. Lost, unsure. Weighed down by responsibility.

Snorting at the expression on Korbin's face, Loren just shrugged. [say]"I would move out of the Palace into Snowcloak in a heartbeat if you feel it made a difference."[/say] Indeed, there was no hesitation in his voice, and the hunter might sense the healer's resolve through their link as well.

Grinning a bit, he nodded. [say]"I'll keep that in mind."[/say] The Launceleyns had never been like the Hales, and he seriously doubted they ever would. However, he found himself narrowing his eyes at the other man. [say]"For what it's worth, for all his faults, my brother's heart is in the right place. He wants what is best for Halo."[/say] The Launceleyn was sure about that, even if what Neron thought was best for Halo was him being Warden.

And even if his heart was now artificial.

Clearly distracted, Loren shook his head to clear his mind. That done, he focused on Korbin. [say]"Maybe you don't have to do anything for her but be in her life."[/say] It was a quiet suggestion, and the healer nodded at the kalimba. [say]"Make music for her occasionally. And for others, too."[/say] He found himself smiling faintly, not minding the idea of a bit of music and fun for once.

[say]"It might,"[/say] Korbin admitted. [say]"It would scream that you disapproved of your brother as Warden too though."[/say] He regarded Loren, tried to weigh what he'd said so far against that little display of faith. [say]"You may be right that he's committed to Halo, and that he means well. I guess, what we all question is whether he knows what Halo's best really is. Since he has made no attempt to be one of us."[/say] Loren had done more to that end in a few weeks than Neron had in years. If it was a choice between which brother to choose... But it was more than that.

He grew quiet again, lost in thought. Bowing his head to show he heard the advice, he didn't respond. But after a while, his fingers found their way back to the instrument, and the melody that rose this time was distinct. Simple, sweet and a bit melancholy, it repeated itself, the echo within the cave building a chorus that billowed and flowed. Like the wind whipping snow about outside.

[say]"Firelight on a moonless night,
oh Mother, we have far to go
A long road yet back to heart and home,
and oh, how the wind is howling
It's a baying wolf, it's a dawn-cold smile,
it's a promise of an end to sorrow
Don't listen to the sweetest voice in the dark,
oh, Mother, it's the Eirachi calling..."[/say]

His voice was deep and rich, smooth as smoke and honey and moved easily through the register. The song spoke of a long journey undertaken at night, and the many struggles that had to be overcome. It was told from the perspectives of a child, that saw the troubles as the tricks of the Eirachi and navigated them through with clever advice.

There were many verses, and they all detailed ways to survive in Halo. How to stay warm. How to find food, and shelter, how to hunt and fish.

It was, as seemed universal throughout many worlds, a childrens song. Haunting and grim... predictably, it ended with the child building a pyre for its mother.

[say]"...oh Mother, may you now burn brightly."[/say]

Korbin grew quiet, and stilled the vibration of the tines with the slow touch of a hand.

Humming thoughtfully, Loren eventually sighed. [say]"I know you've given him time already. But he's been taking an active role in negotiations with other lands, and he's assured me that he is ready and willing to give Halo the attention and listening ear it deserves."[/say] He gave Korbin a questioning look. [say]"And from the sounds of things, we should all be focused on getting prepared for Deepfrost, not internal conflict."[/say]

Then the healer's expression hardened. [say]"But there will be no other rulers to negotiate with next season. And if my brother still chooses not to listen to the people..."[/say] Letting his voice trail off, he shrugged. Hopefully the implication was clear.

Falling silent, he listen as the kalimba's notes twined around the hunter's clearly good voice. Content just to listen, the Launceleyn pulled his knees into his chest. At the end, he let the final notes ring out until the cave was quiet again. Only then did he release the breath he'd been holding. [say]"May you now burn brightly."[/say] It came out softly, with the intonation of a prayer.

Raising his eyebrows, he gave the other man an excited look. [say]"You're very talented. But I think you knew that."[/say] Then Loren's expression grew curious. [say]"What do you know about the Eirachi."[/say] He'd heard its name whispered, but never gotten many details about it.

Content to let the political matters drop with Loren's unspoken threat hanging in the air, Korbin lost himself to the music. He did know he had a gift for it. The ease with which he sang, the confidence to take up the space and show off a piece of himself, it was all there. Not to show off, not to brag... more of a quiet surety that he wouldn't lose anything by doing so. Because it felt good. Because he wanted to.

Loren's praise earned a lopsided smirk and a lofty shrug. [say]"Of course,"[/say] he replied, in an infuriatingly casual way he knew rubbed most people the wrong way. No point being humble about it, right? [say]"But it's always good to know the crowd is pleased."[/say] A little teasing; for all that the message of the song was somber, singing had put him in a far better mood.

As for the Eirachi... Korbin hummed thoughtfully. [say]"Not much, personally,"[/say] he admitted. [say]"It is a figure that appear in many stories and legends. Sometimes it is benevolent, sometimes not. Very fickle. Most versions suggest it is a powerful spirit or lesser divinity, though no one knows for sure."[/say]

Dutifully, but genuinely, Loren belatedly applauded the performance. Giving Korbin an impressed look, the healer soon let his hands fall back into his lap. [say]"Very pleased."[/say] Then his expression grew curious. [say]"Have you written any songs?"[/say] He found himself quite curious how seriously (or not) the hunter had taken his music.

The healer's expression grew curious. [say]"Fascinating."[/say] Hesitating, he searched the other man's features for a long moment. [say]"According to Morgan, the Eirachi was the one who originally appointed my brother as Warden. Or something."[/say] The Launceleyn had never gotten the whole story, and his uncertainty about what had actually happened was quite evident. However, in light of Neron's Ascension, Loren needed more details.

Playing stuffed up and arrogant wasn't as fun as it could have been when the company just played along with him. It made Korbin feel puffy in a way he didn't enjoy, and applause did more to deflate him than boost any flagging confidence. [say]"A few, yeah... Not written, really, but I make songs."[/say] Spontaneously composed, some worth keeping while others were left to be forgotten. [say]"It's just for fun."[/say]

The pause, the hesitation, did not go unnoticed. Korbin looked up, curious about what was so secret that Loren had to consider before talking about it. When the tidbit came... oh, that was juicy indeed! His surprise bled through the bond, as well as showed on his face.

[say]"Was it now... that's very interesting,"[/say] he said slowly, as he stretched out his long legs. Sitting curled up was taking a toll on his knees. [say]"That would explain why she follows him. I wonder... what he had to pay for that little trick."[/say] A finger tapping at the kalimba managed to make the notes sound questioning.

RE: Nothing there for you to see - Loren - 04-21-2020

Raising his eyebrows, Loren found his expression softening as Korbin grew a bit awkward. [say]"Shocking as this might sound, I don't mind a bit of fun every now and then."[/say] The healer's tone was wry. [say]"I would love to hear one some time, if you're comfortable sharing."[/say] However, his words were underscored by an understanding look.

Wincing, he gave the hunter an almost guilty look. [say]"I thought that was common knowledge, to be honest. I'm...not sure what to think about the fact that it's not."[/say] Sighing, the Launceleyn just hung his head a bit. [say]"I don't know. And...I don't know if I was supposed to tell anyone."[/say] He gave the other man a concerned look, though the cat was out of the bag now.