Court of the Fallen
cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: cut our teeth and make our bones right here (/showthread.php?tid=7764)

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 12-08-2022

[say]"Oho, now that is an idea,"[/say] Ronin drawls, pausing in the darkness while Remi figures out the manhole cover. [say]"What if we both spit in it? I wonder if it would show two sets of DNA and they'd freak out, thinking you were both wendigo and human at the same time."[/say] Smirking, he thinks it might be worth it to try, even if they'd both almost certainly get in trouble. [say]"Either that,"[/say] he says, [say]"or I'll just pull the fire alarms the next time I get the chance. My Christmas gift to you - abject chaos."[/say]

Rolling his eyes as well, even though Remi won't see it either, the Hunter falls silent as they prepare to go topside. [say]"When you are,"[/say] he murmurs by way of telling him he's ready; he knows he already has everything he needs to deal with the siren (hopefully), but he spends a second configuring his walkie and double checking the ammo in his gun. It's still a ways to go before they reach the docks proper, and who knows what bullshit they might come across in the meantime.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 12-08-2022

[say]"Ah, mi conosci così bene."[/say] The wendigo purrs and it doesn't matter at all what he's actually said given the joyful tone in which it's sung. Besides, Ronin deserves a bit of linguistic confusion given how obnoxiously cartoon his accent is liable to get.

Setting down the grate, Remi pops his head topside, taking a breath of air that feels ridiculously fresh by comparison. In actuality, they're in a back alley that stinks of piss and garbage, but from what the wendigo can make out, is deserted. Hauling himself up with eerie silence, Remi doesn't bother to lower a hand to help Ronin up; instead, he cocks his head to the side, eyes glazed as he listens, before tilting his chin up to scent the air.

Angling his head hard towards one of the streets that bisects the alley to indicate people, that way, Remi begins to stalk in the opposite direction towards the docks.

[say]"Gesundheit,"[/say] Ronin says cheerfully, though he falls quiet as the wendigo silently slips topside; he's done this long enough that it's second nature by now, to check the ammo in his gun and make sure his walkie is appropriately configured so they can talk as soon as they need to. He's already got all of his gear (and he had looked that over twice before even going to sign Remi out), so when it's his turn to climb from the sewers, he does so without pause.

He's quiet, but obviously he's nowhere near as silent as Remi, and as the wendigo scouts the way Ronin is busy looking skyward for any helicopters or spotlights. The snow is little more than grey sludge here, but as Remi heads for the docks (with Ronin at his heels, naturally), it gets heavy and thick on the ground and in the air, and the going will be fairly tough. [say]"I imagine the docks will be empty, given all the death,"[/say] he mutters.

[say]"One would think..."[/say] Remi murmurs under his breath, though as they reach the outskirts of the docks the pair are treated to a number of blue tarps erected around a number of different locations where one can assume bodies have been found. Grumbling under his breath like Henry Cavill in the Witcher, Remi lowers his head slightly that the might once again listen for things Ronin's ears wouldn't be able to pick up. In this way they're as good a team as any other hunter duo, with each seamlessly leaning into their strengths and letting the other do the same.

[say]'It would be better if you could flush her out of the water, but with how cold and dark it is, probably best that I do it.'[/say] Even so, there's a slight raising of pitch at the end indicating the wendigo would be open to suggestions. All the tarped enclosures and stacks of shipping containers around them would provide the pair with as much cover as it would give a siren places to hide.

Ronin won't say it out loud - mostly because this absolutely isn't the atmosphere for chit-chat - but he's missed having Remi as his shadow. (Or in this case, being Remi's shadow). The Hunter has staunchly refused another partner since the wendigo has been grounded, and while most might believe it's stubbornness to blame, the truth is that he's a liability now that he's worked with Remi for so long. Other Hunters don't have Remi's senses, and Ronin is far too used to relying upon them.

[say]"Flushing her out of the water is best done with some quality bait,"[/say] Ronin points out, unlooping the silver chain from around his waist as he speaks with the full intention of using it not on his partner, but the siren when the time comes. [say]"And between the two of us, I probably seem the more helpless and gullible. No offence."[/say] He grins.

[say]"That's probably where the other Hunters have been going wrong. Trying to go to her instead of waiting for her to come to them."[/say] Among a lot of other things. [say]"I'll go stand at the waterside. You attack as soon as she's close enough, alright?"[/say]

Remi's pupils grow wide as he watches the silver unbuckle from around Ronin's waist. A bit like watching someone you like casually undressing in front of you in a situation that prevents anything else from happening, the wendigo is torn between his desire to look and to be good. So it is that he scrunches his nose and casts a fleeting glance toward the sky. [say]'Are you sure that's smart?'[/say] It wasn't, and they both knew it. As long as nothing went wrong there was every reason to think that Remi could control himself.

If, if, if..

[say]"Ahh, I will let you have this one. It will be nice to play the hero for once."[/say] Remi agrees, bobbing his head up and down. [say]"Mmm. Too keen to think they could catch her unawares. She probably already knows that we are here. I certainly would."[/say] So saying Remi peels off his jacket, folding it neatly and placing it on a nearby crate. Next comes his sweater, and though there's hardly any meat on his bones, he doesn't shiver in the cold.

[say]"How long can you hold your breath?"[/say] Remi asks casually as he steps out of his shoes.

[say]"That's probably another place the other Hunters were going wrong. Trying to be smart instead of successful."[/say] Ronin offers a lopsided grin to Remi and shrugs his shoulders. They were here to do this right (and maybe fortify the wendigo's place in the complex, given that this is his first time out in so long). [say]"I thought you'd enjoy that,"[/say] he agrees about being the hero.

While Remi undresses and helpfully reminds Ronin that the siren probably already knows that they're here, the Hunter prepares his tools and his runes, his breath fogging the air. Once they're ready to go, he steps forward towards the waterfront. [say]"Hm? Oh, about a minute and a half. But in water that cold, I imagine it would take my breath away and shave a few seconds off that."[/say]

Rolling his shoulders, he doesn't bother glancing over his shoulder to the wendigo, trusting Remi to do his thing. [say]"Do you suppose she'll consider you competition?"[/say] he asks of the siren.

[SAY]"You have been making an awful lot of assumptions about me tonight, from the way I kiss to what positions I might like to try."[/say] Remi counters with a grin.

As Ronin turns towards the waterfront he'll likely hear Remi removing the remaining articles of his clothing before shifting and vanishing into the shadows. [say]under a minute..[/say] He thinks into Ronin's mind. His mental voice has all the rasp of a rabbit's pelt being pulled from its body as it's skinned, or a knife being sharpened on a whetstone. [say]if she's smart she won't.[/say] Though there's nothing to gauge directionality from with Remi's mental voice, there is something that suggests he's no longer near.

Which, wasn't exactly the plan.

Mist rises in lazy but stiff patterns from the water's surface. Rendered a sludge-brown both because of the ruddy light from the docks and the waste pumped out from the sewers, no amount of scrutiny will let Ronin see much of anything below the surface.

[say]"I'm merely giving you the perfect opportunity to prove me wrong - or right,"[/say] Ronin chirps, settling to stand on the waterfront and squinting through the heavy snowfall - and that's even before the mist begins to roll in. It's with ruddy cheeks and fingers threatening to go numb that he carefully begins to thread the chain through his hands, giving it more of a focus than anything the siren might be up to.

[say]Smart is relative,[/say] he thinks back to the wendigo, even as his lips begin to form wordless syllables in a language not his own. [say]She might have gotten cocky, after so many kills.[/say] But at least there weren't any more banshees around, right? Glancing up and narrowing his eyes at the mist, he thinks he can hear something moving through the water, thinks he can perhaps hear the beginnings of a melody. [say]I can't see a thing.[/say]

Ronin will receive no response from Remi, nor any other supernatural creature for the time being. There is only the slow thunder of his heartbeat and the unbothered waves that slap against the boards of the dock. Were this a horror movie it's precisely the time you'd be prepping yourself for a jump scare, what with all of the dark corners and close-up camera angles of Ronin's oh so pretty eyes.

Oh, the camera isn't panning to his eyes, it's panning by them, on its way to his ears. You know, to emphasize the fact that yes, there is in fact the beginnings of a melody.

It sweeps through the cold, unmuffled by the snow in a way that shouldn't be possible. Like lover's fingers, it brushes across the stubble of Ronin's cheeks before tangling into his hair and drawing him towards the water.

An imperceptible shiver runs through the Hunter as he feels the impossible caress of the song, through his hairline and down his spine and right the way through the rest of him. His lips continue to recite those silent sullables, but he can already feel the draw of the melody, and he's taken two steps towards the water before he realises it. Fortifying his willpower and clutching the chain between his fingers, it's with determined blue eyes that he pins his eyes on the mist.

[say]"No no,"[/say] he whispers as the song swells and fills his ears and mind, [say]"you come to me."[/say] The sigh he lets out is shaky, however, because all the counterspells in the world won't account for a siren's call. He could have brought ear plugs, of course - and he has them, just in case - but for this part, it needs to be real.

The way a lover might lavish the head of a cock with their tongue, so the siren's call swirls around Ronin's inner ear. It shifts his balance as fingers tickle the joints of his knees, beckoning him to fall onto them and into the water. Intrigued perhaps by the fortitude of this particular man compared to the others, the siren appears in the depths of the water to gaze upon Ronin.

Her features are vibrant and terrible; eyes of ocean-blue tinged with red and far too large for the doll-like proportions of her face. Scales and golden skin cover what bit of flesh can be seen, and though her teeth are jagged and sharp, her smile is intoxicatingly sweet. Reaching out a hand from the water, her porcelain fingers beckon for Ronin as the song intensifies, promising the hunter a world of pleasure, and power, and things that cannot adequately be named with words, if he'd only join her.

She makes his skin crawl and his cock hard, and that's a combination that Ronin both expects and despises as the siren appears. She's not his first one (hurr hurr innuendo hurr) but she's certainly the most beautiful powerful, and trembling fingers fight to keep hold of the silver chain in his hands. Blue eyes lock onto the creature, the song filling his ears and swamping his senses, and he does stagger - but he doesn't go down just yet.

[say]Now,[/say] he slurs to Remi, and if the wendigo has decided that he's going to break free and do whatever he wants, well... it's a real good time to do it, because while his willpower is holding out (for now), he's as good as dinner for the siren.

now, Ronin thinks. An optimist might suggest that the reason the hunter couldn't hear Remi's reply is because of the siren's song. A pessimist wouldn't even need to make an argument. They all know that there was no reply.

Free of chains on his first outing since having been wildly tortured? You're a pal Ronin, but would you put up with nonconsensual testing, constant supervision, and abuse just for a friend? This isn't the Disney channel, don't be so naive.

The siren's smile widens as she nears the dock. The water laps against the swell of her perfect breasts, and as she lifts slightly out of the water, one nipple emerges beaded with gold in the moonlight. A trickle of blood drips from one of Ronin's ears, as if all the liquid in his body is pining for the siren. Indeed, he'll feel himself begin to salivate and to sweat as her fingers reach up onto the wood where she might take his hand.