Court of the Fallen
cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: cut our teeth and make our bones right here (/showthread.php?tid=7764)

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Isla - 12-10-2022

Isla's eyebrows raise, wondering if it's a yes or a no to getting the fuck out of his pink room to go and see Ronin in the hospital. But he's gone and back again in a blur so quick that she barely has a chance to register how easily he could have torn her to pieces. And the quick breath in is all she's got a chance to take before he pulls her close. [say]"Remi,"[/say] she hisses as a precursor to the flashing lights, and although he'll absolutely be able to hear her pulse quicken, she does at least keep enough composure to hear what he's saying.

Reaching her arms around him in return, to the cameras (and the guards, coincidentally) it looks as though scientist and experiment are merely sharing a lovely Christmas hug, but that doesn't stop them from dragging Remi away from her as soon as they are in reach. But hey, Isla has succeeded, and the card is transferred from his pocket to her own by the time they get him on the ground.

Unfortunately, no amount of irritation or demanding on her part will convince them to let him up.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 12-10-2022

The wendigo doesn't fight as he's brought down, nor when he's hauled up again wrapped up in silver, though there is just the barest hint of a smile on his lips. [say]'You are just jealous.'[/say] He chuckles to one of the guards, and because the man absolutely is jealous, he stomps on one of Remi's feet. Conveniently the wendigo doesn't really feel it, but what's a bit of abuse of force to add into one of Isla's reports, mm?

Ronin's card, when he opens it, is not full of spit. Instead, Remi had shredded bits of toilet paper and affixed them with toothpaste to make a wintery wonderland (that also smells like peppermint), using dust from the floors to smudge out the shape of he and Ronin beneath a large moon. Using bits of rust from a screw, the wendigo has done his best to write merry christmas (though he'd cut the paper in several places). He has neither the tools nor the space to write any deeper sentiments, but given what had transpired over the past week he isn't sure what he could have said even if he'd been given all the time in the world.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 12-10-2022

And so that's that, for Christmas Day. There's no Christmas miracle, there's no everyone realised how badly they were treating Remi and everything changed for the better in 24 hours,. There's not even Christmas dinner - though Isla does put a bit of tinsel around the dose of her experimental Remi-gatorade for him. Not that there's any chance of salvaging this trainwreck of a holiday - so she doesn't try.

Tomorrow is a new day, though, as they say.

Ronin hears one helluva ruckus as he's wheeled (and isn't that fun) through towards the wendigo's room. Isla's voice is audible - and he can't remember her shouting when it's not an emergency of some kind - and the other voices behind the closed door are trying to sound placating. It isn't working, really, but he's gone before he can make out what it's about.

When he's brought into Remi's space, it's in a hospital gown and under some ugly blanket, in a wheelchair and with his left arm heavily bandaged and in a sling. From the slight glaze to Ronin's blue eyes, he's probably on some really good painkillers too, and in his hands he holds a wrapped gift. (He hasn't wrapped it, of course - have you seen the state of him).

[say]"Merry Christmas,"[/say] he murmurs.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 12-11-2022

Remi isn't told that he's going to have a visitor, mostly because neither Suuuuuuusan, HinkerStonker, nor the interns particularly care, and because Isla likely hadn't wanted to get the wendigo's hopes up just in case the visit was barred at the last moment. So as the light above Remi's door flashes on to indicate someone is about to enter, the wendigo sits up from where he'd been brooding reading, and eyes the door with a deep frown.

Sitting up abruptly like a child about to be scolded by their parent, the wendigo takes in the bandages, the glazed look over his partner's eyes, and then, with much more confusion, the gift in his lap.

[say]"And a happy new year."[/say] Remi replies, glancing at the guard and wondering if the pair were going to be left alone or not. [say]"You know you can come into my cell room without needing to be in a wheelchair."[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 12-11-2022

[say]"Oh, I just really felt like being pampered today. Besides, I can't tie my bootlaces one handed, and walking barefoot is a really bad idea. A doctor told me so,"[/say] Ronin informs the wendigo, waiting until the guard has wheeled him close enough to have a proper conversation with Remi before he waves his good arm to get rid of him. The guard resists and looks very uneasy about it, naturally, but the Hunter is insistent because, in his words, 'it's Christmas'.

Planning to check things out the second he leaves, the guard does at least leave, and Ronin looks quietly proud of himself when the door clicks shut behind him. [say]"Here,"[/say] he says, offering out the brightly wrapped present. [say]"Sorry I couldn't bring it yesterday. They were doing all that poking and prodding and testing to make sure my bones weren't trying to escape."[/say]

[say]"Ah, I wish someone had told me that. I walk barefoot all the time."[/say] On paper it might come across as light-hearted banter, but in actuality, Remi's words are laced with tension as he tries to determine what is actually going on here. Was this because of what he had told Isla? Was this a precursor to "anyway, we're done" ? Or was it more of a "hey, you get one last try" ?

The wendigo's golden-green stare flicks toward the door as it clicks shut, before being drawn back toward Ronin and the present in his lap. Leaning forward, Remi hesitantly takes it, if only because he's sure being so close to Ronin will set off some sort of proximity alarm. When it does, he merely leans back with the gift awkwardly held in his lap. [say]"They tend to do that when you expose them to that much electricity. Or so I've heard."[/say] The wendigo mumbles.

Biting at the inside of one cheek, Remi glances up towards the one-way glass, before shifting uncomfortably. [say]"I..I really thought the way I did it was the only way. I didn't realize that you'd think I'd leave you, although..."[/say] Laughing dully, Remi rubs at his forehead. [say]"I mean, why wouldn't you."[/say]

[say]"Lucky for you, here I am telling you it today. Look at me go."[/say] Ronin smiles sunnily at the wendigo, wiggling his bare toes under his ugly blanket. [say]"Granted, I reckon your feet are probably a bit more protected than mine."[/say] Just like the rest of him, actually, unless there was fire involved. [say]"Oh, yeah - real hazard of playing with lightning, that,"[/say] he agrees nodding emphatically.

If Ronin had been remotely sober, he might have been in a position to have a real conversation about Remi's decisions back up on the docks, but as it stands, only the feelings really make it through. [say]"I know,"[/say] he says softly. [say]"And I only thought you were gone when you didn't reply. Probably should've had a chat about that bit of the plan before I ran in and flashed my tits at a siren, huh?"[/say] He sighs.

[say]"Honestly, I'm only really mad because that bitch shredded my coat. There was a lot of good shit in it. Now open your present,"[/say] he urges.

Within the carefully taped wrapping paper, Remi will find - hilariously - a set of coloured pencils and a notepad; and honestly, Ronin had done that even before receiving his card. [say]"I told 'em that if you were gonna hurt anyone, you'd be able to do it without some colours. Their arguments kind of fell apart after that."[/say]

It's all a bit surreal, and ironic really, that whereas before Remi had been the ignorant one, now the roles seemed to have been reversed. Alas the wendigo isn't really in any position to appreciate how the turntables have...and so he merely watches Ronin's toes wiggle, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

[say]"Ah..yeah."[/say] Remi agrees with a delayed chuckle, before glancing down at the squarish object in his lap. Something in the back of his mind told him that when he opened it, fire would somehow burst out. Regardless, or perhaps because of this, Remi slices away the tape, folding back the pretty wrapping to stare at the coloured pencils and paper. [say]"I guess my card was a bit lacklustre, huh?"[/say] He wonders. [say]"The only other colours I could have gotten were red, brown, and yellow, and..."[/say] Well, Ronin was smart enough to figure out how the wendigo would have sourced those.

[say]"Mmm."[/say] He hums, turning the pencils over in his hands. Most of the things that were withheld were done so simply to be cruel, rather than for any valid safety concerns. But this...this was the very gift Remi had received since being here. The first thing that was properly his, never mind that Suuuuusan would likely find a reason to take it away from him, and rather than sparking joy, it only affirmed the wendigo's decision. [say]"You, uh...should find a new partner. I do not think I will be around much longer."[/say]

[say]"Mm...? Oh, no - I thought it was very thoughtful,"[/say] Ronin says, and in his current state, he can't be anything more than honest. [say]"Didn't realise you were so artistic,"[/say] he adds with a flash of teeth, settling back in his wheelchair and scowling at the pepto bismol walls all around them. [say]"I really hate the colour of your room, y'know,"[/say] he tells him. Anyway.

[say]"I got you the colours a few weeks ago. Figured you must've been going stir crazy waiting to be let out again. I know I would."[/say] He is, and he's only been conscious for like 48 hours. As Remi speaks again, it's with a soft hmm? that Ronin completely misunderstands the reasoning behind the wendigo's remarks.

[say]"How come?"[/say] he asks. [say]"I told them what happened, that you were being the hero. It'll all be sorted out."[/say]

The wendigo shrugs uncomfortably. [say]"Lots of time to do nothing in the shop where I used to work."[/say] He mumbles by way of explanation, before glancing around at his walls and nodding in emphatic agreement. [say]"Same."[/say]

Raising his eyebrows in surprise to hear that Ronin's gift wasn't in response to the card Remi had given him, he frowns softly and leans back against his pillows. For the second time, Remi is left feeling hollow instead of joyful in response to his friend's Ronin's thoughtfulness, and it's with fingers that suddenly feel overwhelmingly unworthy of holding the gift, that he sets it down on the bed next to him.

[say]"Just a feeling."[/say] Remi replies soberly, shrugging; the feeling of course being the sudden and overwhelming clarity of his situation, that the most the wendigo would ever have to look forward to were pity-hand holds from Isla and pencil crayons from Ronin.

The mention of a shop sparks something in Ronin's memory, though it's all kind of burning pain and blood back there from the docks. [say]"That's right,"[/say] he murmurs, [say]"you said you were a mechanic, right? What'd you fix? Cars, bikes, that sort of stuff...?"[/say] Mildly sedated Ronin is apparently very chatty Ronin, which is probably exactly what Remi doesn't need. Alas.

[say]"Mm, well, feelings don't really stop 'em from sending you out on missions,"[/say] he points out and offers a lopsided smile. [say]"When we do go, though, I'm gonna need you to speak up a bit."[/say] He lowers his voice to a stage whisper. [say]"That siren song fucked my hearing up apparently. One on one is fine, but they say with a lot of background noise I'll be useless unless I learn to lip-read."[/say]

[say]'Er...yeah, for the most part.'[/say] Rubbing at the side of his neck, Remi exhales, apparently deciding that there was no need to pretend to have been honest in the time Before. [say]"It was partially a chop shop too, or../mostly, I suppose. Stolen cars would come in, be stripped and sold."[/say] He shrugs; when your job was currently being a point-and-kill tool, illegal activities with cars hardly seemed the sort of thing to be upset about.

[say]"When, huh."[/say] Glancing at the ugly blanket over Ronin's lap as if he might be able to see through it, Remi tilts his head. [say]"How long until you are back out, do you think?"[/say] He wonders, for absolutely no reason in particular.

[say]'What, hunter benefits don't cover hearing aids?'[/say] Remi asks, only half joking.

[say]"Interesting,"[/say] Ronin murmurs. [say]"I used to have a bike, myself. Wish I'd known about you being a mechanic before I had to scrap it. We could have been cruising around topside, slashing monsters and shit."[/say] He smiles - wouldn't that be a thing, huh? [say]"I still did this, though. Think I'm probably one of the only Hunters here who's been born and bred into it. More or less, anyway."[/say]

As for when he's back out, Ronin shrugs his good shoulder. [say]"They won't let me out with one good arm and shit hearing,"[/say] he says. [say]"So a few weeks I guess. No hearing aids though, sorry. They got better things to do with their technology, apparently. Just gotta learn to lip read. Maybe we can practice through windows, but you gotta promise not to insult me more than three times in a row."[/say]

[say]"Oh yeah?"[/say] Remi's smile is a touch whimsical, despite all the suicidal thoughts floating about behind his eyes. [say]"What, with matching helmets, and me in a sidecar?"[/say] He suggests, hating just how easily he could picture it. [say]"Oh? Well go on then, regale me with your history. You do not talk about it much and.."[/say] we might not have another chance, is what he thinks, but instead his tongue manages to overwrite his thoughts with: [say]"...it is Christmas."[/say]

Chuckling despite himself, the wendigo shakes his head. [say]"Oh do they."[/say] He wonders. [say]"Just think of all the fancy shit you lot could have if they stopped experimenting on me."[/say] As for lip reading? [say]"Wasn't there a game like that? Someone would wear head phones while the other person tried to get them to guess what a certain word or phrase was?"[/say] He was sure there had been. He'd seen it on one of those late-night talk shows.