Court of the Fallen
cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: cut our teeth and make our bones right here (/showthread.php?tid=7764)

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 12-11-2022

[say]"Obviously. We could get those helmets with the mohawks. And we'd have a storage bit for your clothes,"[/say] Ronin nods sagely, as if this ought to be obvious. [say]"I think Isla got you some new ones. Clothes, I mean. I saw her doing some shady shit with a coat that looked like the one you wore."[/say] Whether shady shit was installing a camera or (more accurately) making it fireproof is beyond Ronin, though.

[say]"My history?"[/say] He snorts. [say]"Alright, but I doubt you'll believe me. Yes, you, the mystical wendigo. But I'll only tell you if you tell me yours,"[/say] He winks, but kind of fails because it's with both eyes. (Yay, drugs!)

[say]"Once upon a time,"[/say] Ronin begins obnoxiously, [say]"a mother and a father had a baby. This was in the Before Times, when shit was still weird, but before all the oogie boogies stepped out into the apocalyptic open. The baby was obviously the most handsome baby that ever lived--"[/say] It's Ronin, can you tell, [say]"--because one night, faeries snuck in an swapped it for one of their ugly fae kids. People always talk about changelings, right? But they never tell you what happens to the kids that get swapped."[/say]

Gesturing to himself, as if to say, ta daaaaaa, Ronin offers Remi a lopsided smile. [say]"Human born, fae raised. You can cheer, now."[/say]

As for the rest? [say]"I wish they'd stop experimenting on you. It's weird and it sucks."[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 12-11-2022

[say]"Oh is that so?"[/say] It's unclear if this is about mohawks or Isla's shady shit, but either way the wendigo seems to be biting back the smile that wants desperately to spread his lips.

Good job Kit Ronin. Rolling his heads, Remi nods in a passable sure sure, I'll tell you gesture as he interlaces his fingers across his lap and puts on his best I'm listening face...only to immediately roll his eyes as Ronin starts at the fucking beginning.Things only get more obnoxiously fake from there, but Remi listens politely if only because 1. what the fuck else is he going to do, and 2. this is actually fairly entertaining.

[say]"Hip hip, hoooray."[/say] Remi supplies, before very obviously looking at Ronin's ears. [say]"You know, I did always wonder why you had such fucked up ears. I suppose now I know."[/say]

As for the experimenting? What is there to say about that, really? Nothing, so far as Remi is concerned, and so he merely shrugs.

[say]"Hey,"[/say] Ronin scowls, his good hand coming up to smoosh at his ears. [say]"We're not even trying to lip read and here come the insults."[/say] Huffing out a sigh, he gets comfortable again in his chair. [say]"Anyway, when everything got all..."[/say] Rolling his wrist as if to gesture to all of this, [say]"I'd already been tracking down nasties for a while. When Undertown became a thing, suddenly I had to apply for the job I was already doing."[/say]

Snorting, he picks at a loose thread on his blanket. [say]"That's why I get all the extras from the shit we kill, though. Got a godmother who likes to get a cut."[/say] And a lot of the stuff is hella useful, though he's not going to go into that with Remi right now. [say]"C'mon, then. What about you?"[/say]

[say]"Gods, the hardships you have endured."[/say] The wendigo huffs, mostly joking, as he places a hand over his heart. [say]"Applying for a job you already had--the injustice of it all."[/say] Remi is ready to wave away this bullshit, when the mention of a grandmother slides so subtly into the story that Remi thinks it's almost unintentional. Either Ronin was actually quite the adept storyteller, or at least that bit of this whole thing was true. [say]"Ohho, so I have secretly been helping you satisfy the nona-mofia?"[/say]

Scrubbing his hands up his face and looking up toward the one-way glass, the wendigo shrugs. [say]"Oh you know, the classic story. Boy meets girl, boy and girl go camping in Canada, as you do when you want to get laid. Boy is attacked by a wendigo and becomes one. Tale as old as time."[/say] Those were the broad strokes anyway, the details of which no amount of torture had quite managed to pry out of Remi just yet.

[say]"I know,"[/say] Ronin huffs, completely missing Remi's dry tone and merely enjoying the agreement for what it is. [say]"And you have, actually. Though I don't know if the fae would take kindly to being referred to as the mafia... however true it is."[/say] Furrowing his brow as if this comparison is one he's only just drawing, Ronin shrugs it off. [say]"Either way, it'd be nice if it stayed a secret."[/say]

As for the wendigo's boy meets girl fairytale, with added wendigo shenanigans, Ronin can only scrunch his nose in apology. [say]"Gotta love that,"[/say] he mutters. [say]"Do you know I've never actually taken down a wendigo? We don't get 'em down here. How'd you get here, anyway?"[/say] he asks.

[say]'Well if they are ever inclined to let me know, I would happily meet them to discuss it."[/say] Remi drawls, fully imagining some Outlander-type scenario involving candles, Ronin in a white dress, and touching stones. Laughing, the wendigo nods. [say]"Easily done."[/say] Not that anyone would be inclined to believe Remi if he started talking about the fae and Ronin being a changling.

[say]"Gasp."[/say] Remi murmurs, unsurprised. Despite the similarities, there were no Winchester brothers stalking around to deal with supernatural critters. [say]"Well if you can believe it, suddenly becoming a wendigo does not come with an instruction manual, nor are we...pack? herd?"[/say] He shakes his head. [say]"The one who made me fucked off almost immediately. He probably didn't even know he'd done it. Even though I could not feel the cold, being from Italy I was not used to it. So I wandered, was found by one of your lot who had been stationed on this side of the Atlantic, and hauled over here."[/say] Remi splays his fingers to indicate that that was that. [say]"I was held for..oh, I cannot even really guess how many months before we met."[/say]

[say]"I'll see if I can arrange it, if they ever let you go exploring the complex,"[/say] Ronin says with a small smile. He means it, too, though whether the wendigo will ever be allowed to wander the Hunters' quarters is not something worth thinking about, really. (Because it's not going to happen, no matter how much Ronin might like to think it).

His brows draw together again as he listens to Remi's history, and if he'd had both hands working he'd be counting his fingers as if trying to figure something out. [say]"So how long have you been like this?"[/say] he asks, rubbing at the stubble on his chin. [say]"I always assumed you were some kind of veteran wendigo. But then I doubt anyone would have caught you if that was the case. No offence."[/say]

Sans drugs, Remi is not lightened by Ronin's optimism, and so his smile is terse at best. [say]"Sure."[/say] He agrees, swallowing and wondering when his bed had become so uncomfortable.

[say]"A veteran? Hardly."[/say] The wendigo gives his head a weak shake. [say]"Without birthday parties to track the years by...I would say...three, maybe? Four at the most?"[/say] He guesses. [say]"And no, I was caught after maybe two years or so. Been here ever since. I will have been a pet wendigo longer than a wild one before long."[/say] Suuuusan and the likes were probably counting down until that day, resting a good deal of theory on those types of facts accounting for why Remi was the way he was.

[say]"Guess that also means it has been about four years since I have gotten laid."[/say] He adds with a harsh laugh, before lifting his middle finger to the glass where someone was likely making a joke about how the wendigo had gotten laid plenty of times since having arrived.

[say]"No birthday parties either? We need to get you a lawyer,"[/say] Ronin informs the wendigo, raising his eyebrows up at the two-way glass as if to tell them that legal-expert (not) Ronin Taliesin is coming for them as soon as he can get up and walk around all by himself. [say]"When's your birthday? I'll smuggle in balloons. I bet it'll really fuck with them, imagining the damage you could do with them."[/say] He chuckles to himself.

Letting his head loll back to gaze up at the ceiling (it's also sick-pink coloured, what the fuck is up with that), Ronin frowns to himself. [say]"Do you think other wendigos think about that?"[/say] he wonders. [say]"Like... were you still you when you changed, right away?"[/say] Glancing back down, clearly the painkillers are starting to wear off, because Ronin smiles apologetically to the wendigo.

[say]"Sorry. I bet every scientist and doctor in this place has asked you bullshit like this. You can tell me to fuck off."[/say] He scrunches his nose.

Remi snorts and gives his head a slight shake. [say]'End of March.'[/say] He informs his friend, trying not to think how much damage to himself he could do with said balloons. [say]"You?"[/say] Because, you know, it seemed rude not to ask.

Running his palm roughly over his face several times before letting it flop back into his lap, the wendigo shrugs. [say]"Well, I have missed the last few yearly meetings, so I cannot say for sure."[/say] Remi informs Ronin, trying to sound amused by it all. [say]"It is hard to say really since I only know one way it feels."[/say] He tries to explain. [say]"You go from blind terror and thinking you are about to die, to this...this sort of hunger. Like a switch is flipped. If I had been killed right then and there that would have been it, but the wendigo fled for some reason, and.."[/say] Well. And Remi had satiated his hunger in a way that haunted almost his every waking moment, and certainly all of his unconscious ones. [say]'I think the way it goes is that once you feed that first time, you just stay as you are."[/say]

Chuckling, Remi smiles sadly and nods. [say]"They have, yeah, but I do not have the answers they are looking for. I do not know why I am different."[/say]

[say]"A spring baby."[/say] Ronin grins, before seemingly trying to figure out his own birthday - and it's not the drugs this time, at least. [say]"End of July,"[/say] he says. [say]"But I celebrate midwinter. It's just gone by,"[/say] he explains. He was born at the end of July, but he was born (into the fae) on the Winter solstice, so go figure.

For a second the Hunter looks as though he wants to query these yearly meetings before he chuckles, realising that this was a JoKe. Tilting his head, he considers what the wendigo has to say, however, huffing out a soft breath and drumming his fingers along the armrest of his wheelchair. [say]"I wonder if I could ask on my end,"[/say] he says, and Remi is well within his rights to kick the Hunter for only just realising this is something he could do.

[say]"For what it's worth, I'm glad you're different. Even when you're radio silent and secretly trying to drown me,"[/say] he says. [say]"Other Hunters are really... shit at Hunting."[/say]

[say]"...why?"[/say] Remi wonders, not privy to this helpful bit of explanation. [say]"Midwinter seems an utter shit time to celebrate."[/say] He adds, thinking that perhaps Ronin had just plucked the time of year out of a hat.

Rather than kicking Ronin, Remi just shakes his head. [say]"Learning more about them will not help me."[/say] He says, shrugging one shoulder. [say]"Besides, if it was of any interest I bet Isla would already have looked it up and mentioned it."[/say] Remi could count on Isla for that, or...at least he thought he could. Were he ever to become aware of the things the doctor knew and kept from him, he might rethink just how open their relationship was, but never mind.

[say]"Listen,'[/say] Remi snarks back with a sudden burst of amusement. [say]"You need to go download one of those breathing apps. Even before I was this, I could hold my breath for a lot longer than you."[/say] And who knows, maybe Ronin would learn he had some sort of cardiovascular issue. [say]"Yeah well, they take what they have for granted."[/say] The wendigo adds soberly. [say]"Stick them in a pretty pink room like mine and I can promise you they would put in a bit more effort."[/say]

[say]"It is,"[/say] Ronin says with a scoff. [say]"I'd have it at the end of July - that's when I was born. But I was taken at midwinter, so for my godmother that's the one that counts."[/say] He rolls his eyes. [say]"Maybe I should just have two birthdays. Like the Queen."[/say]

Nodding at the wendigo, the Hunter nonetheless commits to trying to do some investigations of his own. Isla might be a very talented scientist, but she doesn't have the connections he does, and he'll be the judge as to whether there are any other wendigos like Remi around.

Blinking and not expecting the sudden rush of snark and banter from his partner, Ronin lets his jaw drop open as if deeply insulted. [say]"Oh yeah? And how much ice did you fall through in Italy?"[/say] he wonders. [say]"I can't even ask you to try it now. Besides, the signal down here is shit. It's been years since I used an app."[/say]

Humming a sound of agreement, he wrinkles his nose at the room again. [say]"What colour would you have it?"[/say] he wonders. [say]"Maybe you can use your new pencils to colour the bit of the wall by your bed."[/say]

Remi pulls a face, trying to decide if Ronin was kidding or not. Though, when it came to the traditions on this fucking island, more of them were true than not, no matter how absurd they sounded. [say]"Sure, if you like."[/say] He agrees, of having two birthdays. [say]"Just do not expect two sets of presents from me, mm?"[/say]

Snorting and sitting up slightly straighter and raising his chin, the wendigo flares his nostrils. [say]'I will have you know that the Tyrrhenian sea can be quite cold."[/say] Really, it couldn't, especially not compared to the freezing rivers and bays nearby, but shut up. [say]"Well then use a watch."[/say] Remi huffs unhelpfully. [say]"You should be able to hold your breath easily for 90 seconds."[/say] Where did you get that statistic from Remi? What's that? Shut up.

Frowning thoughtfully, Remi looks around. [say]"I think...maybe a light grey. With a feature wall of green. Maybe accents of near-black."[/say] Picking up his package of pencil crayons, he gives it a little shake to see if said colours were included.