Court of the Fallen
cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: cut our teeth and make our bones right here (/showthread.php?tid=7764)

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 12-12-2022

[say]"I consider myself flexible,"[/say] Ronin says with a roll of his healthy shoulder and a good-natured smirk, much to the horror of the guard in the background. Apparently banter (flirting?) with the rabid wendigo is the best approach here, according to the Hunter. Go figure. [say]"Hey,"[/say] Ronin adds, [say]"I said the therapy would be terrible. The advice that comes from it might be gold for all you know."[/say] He grins.

But that fades by degrees into something more befitting of the severity of the situation, because Ronin isn't drugged up this time, and this shit is serious. And while worry-wart flinches, Ronin merely tilts his head, and he leans in a little closer (because they're less likely to be heard now that the guard is on his ass). [say]"Listen, I'm not saying I don't blame you - you've got more patience than me in this place. But things can't get better if you go this way. You know that, right?"[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 12-12-2022

[say]"Mmmmmmm."[/say] It's a sound of defeat, but that doesn't mean Remi is ready to talk about his inner child just yet.

Still..

Lowering his gaze, the wendigo sighs. [say]"Ronin, things are never going to get better. Even at their best I am treated worse than violent criminals in jail."[/say] He says, keeping his voice low. [say]"I have no privacy, no autonomy, my body is not even properly my own given the things done to it on the regular. I cannot easily be killed and wounding me is not all that effective, so no one is all that careful with me.

If the best I can hope for is a feature wall and a fucking plastic plant, I would rather continue to be a monster."[/say]

Biting the inside of his cheek, Ronin resists the urge to either punch the guard (for something to take his anger out on) or to shake the wendigo, partially because he's absolutely right but mostly because he doesn't like hearing it. [say]"Alright,"[/say] he says slowly. [say]"All of that is true. But you don't know it can't get better. And even if it can't..."[/say] He glances over his shoulder at the crackling on a walkie-talkie, knowing trouble is very likely on its way.

[say]"Don't go at it like this. It's clumsy. It's not you,"[/say] he says, scrubbing a hand across his forehead. [say]"We could have figured something out the next time we went on a hunt."[/say] But whether they ever let Remi out again after this is... well, Ronin has doubts about it, put it that way.

[say]"Of course I know."[/say] Remi snaps back, and gods but it feels good to be angry. [say]"Fuck you."[/say] He barks, laughing under his breath and sneering up at the too-close ceiling of his closet-sized cell. [say]"You don't know me. I'm just the thing that sets you apart from the other idiots. The thing that makes you feel warm and fuzzy about doing this stupid work."[/say] Rolling his eyes, the wendigo runs his tongue over his teeth.

[say]"Oh could we have, Ronin? Just you and me against the big bad world? You gave up on me almost immediately out there, so do not pitch this like it is some Disney fox and the hound bullshit."[/say] Did that even make sense? Probably no, but having waited so long to burst out of his cell and take a hostage, this at least feels much better than glowering at his door.

[say]"On the contrary, the thing that sets me apart from the other idiots is that I know what the fuck I am doing,"[/say] Ronin hisses, his tone low and his voice quiet in comparison to the bite and snark from the wendigo. [say]"And so did you, and you know what, it was nice to be able to work with someone with half a brain. So what happened to it?"[/say] He frowns.

And of course, Remi is right about his giving up on him, but his ears had been bleeding and his lungs had been filling with water at the time, so he blames panic and poor communication. Not that he thinks the wendigo is in the mood to hear it. [say]"What do you want, then?"[/say] he asks. [say]"If this is was ever going to get better, what would it look like? And don't give me that but it won't bullshit. We kill monsters, and they don't send Christmas cards, so you're already a little too human for their liking."[/say]

[say]"Yeah, I can sure see that."[/say] The wendigo snarks, glancing at all the places on Ronin's body that tell of injury. [say]'Too much time spent around you."[/say] Remi replies, resorting back to tried and true playground-style insults.

[say]"What do I want? A little fucking freedom would be nice. I have godsdamned stayed when I could have gone, haven't I? I would like to not be watched 24/7 for a fucking start."[/say] Really, Remi didn't even think he was asking for the world. He hadn't even said he didn't want any more tests or prostate-milking exams.

[say]"But barring that? I fucking flame thrower to deepthroat would be a real treat."[/say]

[say]"I don't see you telling me to leave,"[/say] Ronin points out, and while he'd usually be all for playground antics and having an argument while they're in the middle of a really tense situation, Remi is standing in the equivalent of a closet and now Captain Worry-Wart is pressing alarms and there's all sort of bullshit starting to blare overhead. It's rapidly becoming a life or death thing.

And so, nodding to the wendigo as if it was as simple as all that, Ronin straightens up and steps back enough to give Remi some breathing room. [say]"Okay,"[/say] he says. [say]"That's a start. I'm not a scientist or a doctor or anything like that, but I'll do my best to raise hell for you. And if I can't, I'll flamethrower you myself. But don't give them an excuse to hurt you more today, deal?"[/say]

[say]"Well you didn't exactly ask to come in, did you?"[/say] Remi counters, still not telling him to go. [say]'Notice how there wasn't a welcome mat?"[/say] He adds over the sound of a new siren that makes him wish he could cover his ears.

[say]"That's the thing of it though. They don't need an excuse."[/say] The wendigo replies, and whatever hope he's supposed to have gleaned from this conversation is overshadowed by the way he's thrust back against the wall only to have the door slammed in his face. Glaring into the darkness that feels much thicker than it had before, he can hear Ronin shouting something through the thick walls, but not enough to make out the words.

Though it was hard to track the passage of time when you were simmering in the darkness, eventually Remi was hauled out and shoved unceremoniously back into his room. A quick look around saw that blinds had been placed over the one-way glass above, controlled from the inside. Remi very much doubted that he wasn't being watched from somewhere else, but..well, colour him surprised.

Ronin has a welcome mat on order as well, thank you very much. It isn't here yet, though, and so when he knocks at the door to walk in, unfortunately he can't really wait to be told he's welcome. Besides, he thinks Remi will want to see this; as the Hunter walks in, he trundles along a small cart with a couple of cans of paint and some brushes. There are greys and greens, wouldn't you know.

[say]"Now, I'm going to need your help, because I still only have one arm,"[/say] he informs the wendigo. [say]"And if I accidentally paint over the window to make double sure those blinds are doing their job, well... oops?"[/say] Levelling a small smile at Remi, he offers him a nod of greeting. [say]"Hey. Baby steps, I know. Bear with it though, please?"[/say]

Suspicious of what other changes had been done to his room, the wendigo had been combing the walls, corners, and every other available surface to see where new listening and viewing devices might have been put. Sadly detective skills were not one of the automatic upgrades when one became a wendigo, leaving Remi utterly dumbfounded.

With his arms over his chest, Remi watches as Ronin rolls his little cart in. [say]'And...just how do you plan on getting paint that high?'[/say] He wonders with a slightly crooked smile, knowing that between the two of them they could certainly figure something else.

Raising an eyebrow in response, Remi strolls closer, peering over the top of the paint cans to see what colours Ronin has brought with him. [say]"What's this..physiotherapy?"[/say]

[say]"Well, I figured you could give me a boost, or we could throw it?"[/say] Ronin says, tilting his head up at the observation window. [say]"I should have gotten one of those extendable paint rollers, in retrospect..."[/say] Still, as Remi approaches, Ronin levers one of the lids off the paint cans (awkwardly, but he manages it) so the wendigo can observe for himself.

[say]"If it's not exactly what you had in mind, you can blame us being in Undertown. They didn't exactly have colour swatches available,"[/say] he says. He asked for green and grey and he's getting green and grey, come on. [say]"Which one did you want as your fEaTuRe wall?"[/say] he asks. His voice seems strangely echoey, and while there isn't necessarily more space... there's a lack of guards. They're absolutely there, no doubt, just... not right in their faces.

Yes, those are green and grey. Not the tints he had in mind, but beggars and choosers and all that. Still, anything was better than pink.

Before getting down to it, Remi has to ask, and it's with a hard swallow that he tries to ask as nonchalantly as he can. [say]"Your remaining wounds...none of them are open, are they?"[/say] He'd be able to smell it if they were, and though his partner would be more aware than most of just what sorts of things could trigger the wendigo, with how long he'd been cooped up for, even a papercut was liable to set him off.

[say]"I can put on ... the thing, if so.."[/say] The thing of course being his muzzle.

Having levered open the other paint can, Ronin straightens up in time for Remi to kill the vibe with the reminder that this isn't just a paint party, and the Hunter tries on a smile for him. [say]"No,"[/say] he assures him with a small shake of his head. [say]"All healing over well, and my collarbone wasn't an open fracture. If you want to wear the thing then it's your choice, but I'll absolutely think it's a kink,"[/say] he adds.

Before picking up one of the cans and waiting to be directed to paint one of the walls green, he turns fully to face his partner. [say]"Isla was responsible for the blinds,"[/say] he murmurs. [say]"To say I went to raise hell with her when we spoke last is... well, let's just say it wasn't my finest moment."[/say] He winces. [say]"But it got you paint. And privacy, for a few hours a day. If you find any hidden cameras, by the way, you can paint over them and play ignorant."[/say]

[say]'It absolutely is not a kink.'[/say] The wendigo complains before chuckling and trying to relax his shoulders somewhat. It wasn't like this was the first time he'd been alone with Ronin, but it was the first time he'd been alone with Ronin in the facility. In his room no less, and something about it had the hairs on the back of Remi's neck standing up.

[say]"That one."[/say] Nodding not to the main wall nor to the one behind his bed, Remi points instead to the wall he looks at most when falling asleep. [say]'I will have to remember to thank her.'[/say] The wendigo mumbles, feeling humbled and undeserving all at once. Swallowing, he rubs at the back of his neck before grabbing one of the dropcloths and spreading it out on the floor.

[say]"And you of course. This..."[/say] Remi looks around, green-gold eyes narrowed slightly, before he relaxes slightly in turning back to Ronin. [say]"It helps. I..."[/say] He shrugs awkwardly. [say]"..thank you."[/say]