Court of the Fallen
cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: cut our teeth and make our bones right here (/showthread.php?tid=7764)

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 12-12-2022

[say]"Sure, sure,"[/say] Ronin drawls, chuckling and heading over where he's directed to set down the paint can over the dropcloth. Wasting little time in mixing the paint in the can and dipping in his brush, he works on cutting in the edges and corners - and Remi absolutely won't be the only one who is relieved to get rid of the vomit-pink colours. [say]"How long have you had to stare at this sour milkshake colour?"[/say] he wonders.

Pausing only as he hears the wendigo's thanks, Ronin puts down his brush for a second to smile across at his partner - and friend. They're friends now for sure, because Ronin doesn't come to paint walls with colleagues. [say]"It's long overdue,"[/say] he confesses. [say]"I didn't... I don't think anyone gives the human part of you enough credit, to be honest. And given how often we've worked together... it's fucked up."[/say]

Turning back to his work, he grins to himself. [say]"Besides,"[/say] he pipes up, [say]"for all of the fuckery, you and I did take down that siren. And outside of the science wing, there's a lot of happy people."[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 12-12-2022

[say]"Mmmm, well it was white when I moved in."[/say] He murmurs, peeling back the empty bookshelf placed against the wall they'd be painting. [say]"But the doctors said it felt too sterile for them, if you can believe that."[/say] The wendigo chuckles under his breath. [say]"Can't have them working in an environment they don't like. But the pink was picked because of some experiment done in a prison."[/say] Remi explains, forgetting if he'd ever mentioned the why of it all to Ronin or not.

As Ronin pauses, the wendigo stills, wondering if this was when Ronin came over for a hug and inadvertently triggered the wendigo into shifting such that his pretty green wall was splattered with red. Remi's gaze flits from Ronin's face, to his brush, and then back to the wall before he shrugs. [say]"Mmmmm."[/say] He hums uncertainly, before grinning despite himself.

[say]"Oh yeah? And did you find...everything you left the docks with?"[/say] Remi wonders vaguely, just in case someone was listening.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 12-12-2022

[say]"Perish the thought,"[/say] Ronin gasps and rolls his eyes, continuing to paint and pausing only to grab the small stepladder he's brought with him to get to the higher parts. (Maybe that's how they'll get to the window, huh?) [say]"Well, the pink made me vaguely angry after a while,"[/say] he confesses. [say]"So if you could stage a few instances of being really zen after we do this, maybe we'll be able to convince them that grey is the new calm colour?"[/say]

Grinning as well, Ronin steps up on the ladder and reaches as far as he can with his good arm. [say]"Oh yeah,"[/say] he emphasises regarding their victory and the joy and infamy it has brought along with it. As for everything at the docks, his smile turns a bit wry, and he lowers his voice a touch. [say]"Yes I did, thank you,"[/say] he says. [say]"I haven't had the opportunity to check everything properly yet, but it's all accounted for."[/say]

Well, the spoils were. [say]"I am missing a few ingredients and tools, though, thanks to the siren shredding my coat. Might need to go out on a supply run to get more. I'll swing it for you to come as well, if you feel like a stroll in the woods."[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 12-15-2022

[say]"Oh no, not vaguely angry."[/say] The wendigo snarks in return, rolling his eyes with equal amusement and sarcasm, before narrowing his eyes. [say]"You know, this sounds like a lot of me doing the work to make your idea not end up a total failure."[/say] He comments with a grin. [say]"Though I expect if I started to meditate in the centre of the room that would be more of a cause for alarm than if I started clawing at the walls."[/say] Given his nature and personality, zen-Remi would probably come off as a red flag.

Keeping his smile plastered in place as he turns back to the wall, Remi exhales and ignores the way the muscles beside his lips are starting to grow tired. [say]"Well, if you can swing it, I will be there."[/say] He says, and not just because if someone signed him out he was obligated to go. [say]"I keep expecting this to sort of..start to unravel, the way dreams do, you know?"[/say] Remi wonders, speaking to the wall more than to Ronin. [say]"You coming in here with a gift, now painting...perhaps a jaunt in the woods..I know you said you would try, but.."[/say] He shrugs. [say]"It almost seems to good to be real. You know?"[/say] This last bit is said slightly into his shoulder as Remi hazards a glance toward the hunter, trying not to look or sound as vulnerable optimistic as he was currently feeling.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 12-15-2022

Humming a grave sound and nodding as if to say that vaguely angry was truly the worst of Ronin's temper (a lie they are both well aware of), the Hunter carefully covers the sick-pink with more strokes of mute grey, instantly feeling better as the tone in the room goes down a few notches away from screamingly patronising. [say]"If the grey does what it's meant to do, it won't even be work,"[/say] he points out. [say]"And really, I'm asking you not to do something, so how hard can that really be?"[/say]

Knowing Remi, he'd find a way to make it difficult, so Ronin isn't really expecting the world when it comes to that sort of a reply.

[say]"I think it'd be a nice change of scenery,"[/say] Ronin agrees, leaning up on his toes to finish cutting in the top section of the wall before stepping down from the ladder. [say]"Besides, between you and me, I've spent far too long around the docks lately."[/say] The woods would be a literal and figurative breath of fresh air.

Glancing across at the wendigo as he begins to (gasp) speak from the heart, Ronin at least does him the courtesy of focusing wholeheartedly on the wall as well. [say]"I know,"[/say] Ronin says quietly. [say]"And I can't say that things won't be difficult - that people like SuuUuuuUUuUusan won't make it difficult. But it won't be like before. Pretty sure the good Doctor Lockwood feels the same way."[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 12-15-2022

[say]' How hard?'[/say] The wendigo parrots, turning to fix his counterpart with a shit-eating smirk. [say]"Just stop breathing for a while Ronin. Stop being charming, Ronin. Shouldn't be hard at all."[/say] Raising his eyebrows to emphasize that not doing something wasn't always easy, he rolls his eyes and goes back to his own section of the wall.

[say]"That is true. I could do without water hags and the like."[/say] Besides, something about the woods called to the more primal side of Remi, and though that likely wasn't a good thing, his bones yearned for it now that the idea had been suggested.

Appreciating the lack of eye contact, Remi presses his tongue against his cheek, staring intently at the wall as Ronin speaks. [say]'The good doctor Lockwood.'[/say] The wendigo repeats on the heels of a sigh. Itching his cheek with his shoulder, Remi pushes his luck with a bit more honesty. [say]"She..took my hand the other day."[/say] He admits in a low voice. [say]"I know this is not some movie where the doctor falls in love with her dangerous ward, but...I did not realize how much she must pity me until she did that."[/say] For the most part, Remi was the one who made other's skin crawl, and it was an unwelcome change to experience it himself.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 12-15-2022

The shit-eating smirk earns little more than a raise of Ronin's eyebrows, because of course the Hunter has snagged on one particular part of Remi's snide comments. [say]"So you think I am charming?"[/say] he asks with a lopsided smile that threatens to take over his whole face. Instead of letting it (or letting Remi see it, rather), he turns back to his painting and steps back to make sure it's looking alright, before continuing.

[say]"Mm, we can trade in water hags for will-o-wisps, satyrs and trolls,"[/say] he agrees, and whilst one might think he's being sarcastic, it really would be a nice change of pace. Besides, Undertown or topside, things have felt far too urban as of late, and Ronin is keen to get out of the city.

And he's all prepared with a shit-eating grin of his own to hear that Isla and Remi had held hands, but then the wendigo goes and ruins it with what's probably the truth, but it sure does bring the fucking mood down. [say]"Or,"[/say] he says, [say]"maybe she just wanted to see what your hand felt like,"[/say] he says (lamely). [say]"If I took your hand it wouldn't be pity, put it that way."[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 12-16-2022

[say]'Well..'[/say] The wendigo nearly stammers, before stopping himself. [say]"You are Irish. It is sort of part and parcel, no?"[/say] Frowning, though he can't quite say why, Remi too regards the wall he's working on with undue intensity.

[say]"You should see the creatures we have back in Italy."[/say] Remi remarks with a wistful sort of smile. [say]"They are perhaps not so grand as what you have here. We have lots of sprites and demons, and many, many witches."[/say] The wendigo shrugs slightly. [say]"Obviously lots of water creatures too."[/say]

Glancing down at the hand in question, Remi regards it for a moment as if there was anything at all to see. [say]"It is just a hand."[/say] He replies, flexing his fingers. [say]"Before at least, when I was working, I had callouses and muscles. Now..."[/say] Well, now that he was a glorified pet who had supernatural strength that required little muscle or athleticism, he was sure his hands were nothing to write home about.

[say]"Oh?"[/say] Glancing slyly over his shoulder, Remi's eyes narrow slightly. [say]"What would it be for then? A thumb wrestle? Doubt if I could beat you at one like this."[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 12-16-2022

[say]"Oh, I suppose so. Charming or unintelligible, depending on the mood,"[/say] Ronin murmurs, smirking to himself and seeming very content with the way the new colour of paint has covered the Pepto-Bismol wall. Stepping back, he moves to grab the green this time, moving to the wall opposite where Remi sleeps so they can see how well the green will cover it.

Raising his eyebrows and seeming honestly intrigued, he grins over his shoulder at Remi. [say]"Witches?"[/say] he repeats. [say]"We don't have so many of those. Not ones you can hunt, anyway. I think they've started calling themselves herbalists or occultists here. Couldn't risk being caught or killed by topside, even though they're human."[/say]

He's just dipping his paintbrush into the green to start cutting in this wall as well when he catches Remi's glance out of the corner of his eye and smirks. [say]"Obviously it would be for when I proposed to you. I would need to hold your hand for that,"[/say] he points out. [say]"Or if I got stuck somewhere in the dark. You'd need to hold my hand to lead the way."[/say]

[say]'Mmm, very much so, but I think that is part of the charm really."[/say] Remi says of the unintelligible bit of Ronin's accent. He's gotten better at understanding the hunter when he flies off into leprechaun mode, but when it goes a bit too far Remi just interprets it a bit like a choose-your-own-adventure and supplies whatever the wants to hear in place of sing-song-syllables.

[say]"Our witches are not normally thought of as good or bad."[/say] The wendigo replies. [say]"They just sort of exist and if you barter with them, then you accept the consequences that go along with it."[/say] Then again, it had been years since he had been home, so what they did with themselves now was not anything the wendigo could really guess at.

Straightening, the combination of Ronin being nearer to his bed while simultaneously talking about being proposed to had the wendigo all the more certain that this must be some sort of dream. [say]"Well, you would have had to take my hand before that surely. If only to find out my ring size."[/say] He counters, waggling the fingers of his left hand in the hunter's direction.

[say]"Or we could play the hot and cold game."[/say] Remi suggests, of how he might lead Ronin out of the dark. [say]'You know, I would tell you that you were going the right way only for you to walk into a wall, you would get mad and try and hit me, only to hit said wall, etcetera etcetera.'[/say]

[say]"Oh, well that is very nice to know,"[/say] Ronin says with a smirk; his leprechaun mode only usually activates when he's stressed, angry or particularly excited about something (so a lot, if he's honest). The witches are a great deal better to know, though, and he's busy thinking about bartering with them in terrible Italian while he slaps more green paint against the walls.

[say]"Damn,"[/say] he says softly. [say]"I suppose it must have been years since you were able to go back there, too."[/say] Another thing to add to the list of why Remi's life sucks and Ronin has missed those cues. It's probably why, as Remi waggles his fingers at him, the Hunter snorts and puts down his paintbrush. [say]"Yeah? Fine,"[/say] he says, stepping across the room to take said hand in his own, arching an eyebrow as if he's trying to size up Remi's fingers.

[say]"Oh, I love the hot and cold game. I think we played that once a few months ago going after a vampire. Always very enjoyable."[/say]

Tilting his head slightly, Remi considers before nodding. [say]'Five years or so, yes.'[/say] He really hadn't been counting, if only because at the rate things were going for him, he'd never make it home again. Better to blur those sorts of timelines and dates in your own mind lest they become suffocating.

At first, the wendigo didn't really think much of it as Ronin approached, but it was only as the hunter reached out to take his hand, that he stiffened. It was nothing to do with them both being men and everything to do with the ever-present tension that existed within Remi that screamed I can kill you, and worse, part of me always wants to.

Finding it hard to know if he was blinking too much or too little, Ronin will find Remi's hand tense and rigid as the wendigo's gaze grows slack and unfocused. Whereas normally his breathing was almost nonexistent, now his chest noticeably rose and fell in measured instances. [say]"Mmm. I told you that there was a large log in your way you had to step over, when in fact there was nothing."[/say] Remi agrees softly.

[say]"Perhaps I'll have to do some research and see if there are any supplies that I need that can only be found in Italy. Or whether there are any very nasty, big bad witches out there that we desperately need to take care of, because they've learned how to... I don't know. Sail boats, or some shit."[/say] Grinning and shrugging, it seems just as likely as anything else that goes on in the world these days. [say]"Besides, I've never been."[/say] To Italy, he means.

And suddenly talking about it while holding a wendigo's hand in his own seems weirdly funny, only Ronin doesn't feel like laughing. He can see the visible rise and fall in Remi's chest, something he's attuned to not noticing, such is their partnership, and it's neither too quickly nor too slowly that he releases his grip on him. [say]"You had me goose-stepping all over the place,"[/say] he agrees with a smirk. [say]"And I reckon your ring size is a little smaller than mine. Such dainty, dangerous little hands."[/say]

Remi gasps sharply. [say]"Not sailing boats!"[/say] Gods, the horror of a mostly-island nation learning to sail? [say]"Oh no? You should. Next time you have vacation time. I will give you a full itinerary of where you should go."[/say] Remi adds breezily as if this was anywhere near the realm of possibility.

With his eyes directed somewhere near Ronin's shoulder, the pull of the hunter's hand out of his own is strangely heightened in such a way that makes Remi want to itch at his palm or perhaps just stare down at it. He does neither of these things, though he does rub his thumb of his other hand across his palm for just a second or two. [say]"You looked like an absolute fool."[/say] The wendigo agrees, smiling a bit too quickly.

[say]"Oh, you reckon?"[/say] Looking at his ring finger and then Ronin's, Remi tilts his head to the side, before his smile fades away entirely. [say]"Only when I am like this, I suppose."[/say] Shifted, though his hands were entirely made of bone, it wasn't the bones of a human hand, but rather elongated and nightmarish things that were a good deal larger than Ronin's.

[say]'You were right though."[/say] He adds in a low voice. [say]"It did not feel like pity."[/say] Hazarding a green-gold glance up at the hunter, the wendigo resumes his too-slow speed of breathing.