Court of the Fallen
cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: cut our teeth and make our bones right here (/showthread.php?tid=7764)

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 12-16-2022

[say]"I wonder if Italy has an Undertown. Maybe the entire country is run by the mafia now, you don't know. Or maybe there are loads of volcanoes and the whole place is covered in smog."[/say] Ronin shrugs his shoulders. All of this is just as plausible as being able to get - double gasp - vacation time in the first place, as well as being able to go to another country. They'd likely have to smuggle themselves in.

[say]"Well, I wouldn't know,"[/say] Ronin points out, [say]"given that I wasn't able to see. Which was the entire problem to begin with."[/say] Rolling his eyes and hiding a smile as he catches Remi's own, the Hunter clears his throat and takes a few steps back away to his wall, resuming the addition of green to the wendigo's new room.

[say]"That may be the case, but I bet a ring would still fit on there. Might just have to get you a nice bracelet instead though, if that's the case."[/say] Shrugging his shoulders, he's been painting for a few moments more when Remi's voice chimes at him again, and his smile is secret and just for himself. [say]"It shouldn't. Because I don't pity you."[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 12-16-2022

[say]"No I do not know."[/say] Remi agrees. [say]"Maybe it is run by witches."[/say] He adds, waggling his eyebrows. [say]"In which case we would just have to barter something of value to them."[/say] You know, like one of their eyes, or hands.

[say]"Which is why I am letting you know now."[/say] The wendigo interjects with a grin. [say]"If nothing else I will always tell you when you look stupid, even if it is because I made you that way."[/say] They both very efficiently go back to doing other things with enough synchronicity to suggest that they're likely doing it for the same reason.

Turning his head ever so slightly, Remi isn't able to see Ronin through his peripheral vision, but he tricks himself into thinking he could feel the hunter's presence across the room. Raising his eyebrows and mouthing a response he doesn't give voice to, Remi takes a few steps back to survey their work. Furrowing his brows hard enough to make distinct ridges, he glances up at the observation window, where, unbeknownst to either of them at the time, the curtains had been parted. [say]"Mmmmmmm."[/say] Loudly clearing his breath to get Ronin's attention the wendigo nods his head up toward the window.

[say]"By witches,"[/say] Ronin repeats, gasping softly under his breath. [say]"Well, I'm glad I will be going with an Italian native to tell me how to navigate a country run by witches. Especiall given that I don't speak the language."[/say] He wonders, briefly, whether Remi gets a sort of leprechaun mode, before realising that he's giving it far, far too much thought to begin with.

He isn't the only one either, apparently, as they both go back to their paintwork with a concentration they probably don't give to their jobs, unless they are in immediate danger. So when Remi voices his, er, breath, Ronin is drawn from his reverie and glances up at the wendigo, before glancing up again tot he observation window. Oh. Perhaps they had been spied holding hands.

[say]"It isn't a soap opera,"[/say] he mutters under his breath, loud enough that he knows Remi will hear. And then, loud enough for their observers, [say]"how is it looking? We've made pretty quick work, if I do say so myself."[/say]

[say]"Mm, succederà quando i maiali voleranno, ma certo, di' a te stesso quello che vuoi."[/say] Remi trills melodically, making sure to really stretch out the syllables while rolling his consonants as if his life depended on it.

Glancing at Ronin without moving his head, the wendigo hardly blinks as he glares up at the window. Quite what being seen will mean for either of them, if anything at all, isn't something that the wendigo particularly wants to think about. Either it will be harassment from the interns or a new brand of torture and interrogation from Suuuuuuuuusan, and definitely more pity from Isla.

Sneering slightly, the curtain is crisply closed as Ronin calls out, indicating that though no one was peeping through the window at that moment, someone was absolutely listening. Scratching his fingers through his hair, Remi huffs out a breath before giving Ronin a rather uncertain look. [say]"Next time you should bring music."[/say]

Ronin doesn't know why he finds the sound of Italian spilling from the wendigo's lips so endearing (hint hint buddy, it's written into your character) but he does, and he's glad that they're focused both on the observation window and on the walls instead of each other, because the Hunter can't stop his smile.

[say]"Yes, all of that,"[/say] he hums, the smile only growing to see the curtains swiftly snap shut. [say]"Next time I will,"[/say] he agrees of the music, before getting back to their decorating. And he's very careful to keep conversation light and boring from there on out.

It takes a good few weeks before Ronin is able to swing a trip out to the woodland - mainly because he needs his arm to heal properly and his hearing to be extensively tested (it's fucked, they all know it is, just get over it) and because he is convinced that Remi is coming with him. And, in the name of he's a human who is also a wendigo, not the other way around, he manages it, too.

[say]"It has been a long time since I was out here,"[/say] Ronin murmurs, ducking under branches clogged with ice. It's a miserable night by all accounts, slush and snow covering otherwise naked trees, the ground even more treacherous than it would be otherwise. [say]"There are a few things I need, but some might be hard to find in this weather."[/say]

Were it not for Ronin's visits, Remi wouldn't have known anything at all was going to change. Whoever was trying to keep Remi from being signed out (read: everyone but Isla) had fought it until the very last moment such that the wendigo was only told of his outing that morning. It isn't like you need to prepare one of the interns had snapped at him while drawing some of his blood, and gods, had Remi not been chomping at the bit to get some fresh air, he might have thrown the kid across the room.

While Ronin has appropriate footwear, Remi is basically in sneakers. He supposes he doesn't blame anyone for this, given how often he loses (or destroys) the things he's given to wear, but it doesn't stop him from slipping and sliding around. [say]'Oh? And what are we after? Tears of a unicorn? True loves' kiss? The eye of a troll?'[/say] It's about as tropey and leprechaun-y as he can imagine, which he hopes both annoys and amuses Ronin.

It does, in fact, annoy and amuse Ronin in equal amounts, and just for the snark, he doesn't tell Remi about a patch of ice he's just managed to grip himself across using his appropriate footwear. [say]"Well,"[/say] he begins, starting to hike up a sludgy, muddy incline, his torchlight dancing along the forest floor, [say]"I need some water from the river, some moss from a west-facing tree, and a mushroom called a Funeral Bell."[/say]

Bobbing his eyebrows at the wendigo, he reaches out without thinking (and with a gloved hand, luckily) to offer some help to the top of the incline. He's taken off Remi's chain the second they were out of sight of the complex, but they've had a good walk to hopefully stretch his legs and get rid of any latent murdery inclinations. They'll see, anyway.

[say]"Also some hawthorn, juniper and holly. And the antlers of a stag."[/say]

Predictably, though Remi is more than able to see the ice around them, he often forgets what this body is capable of, and so as his heels slide in opposite directions, he lets out a yelp and grabs for the nearest tree. That tree happens to just be mostly a shadow, and were it not for his quick reflexes, he'd certainly have gone down. [say]'You are a real pal, you know that.'[/say] He grumbles, realizing now that Ronin must have absolutely known about the ice.

Following along but picking his path more carefully now, Remi nods. [say]"First two sound easy enough."[/say] If he hadn't already slipped once the wendigo might have snubbed Ronin's outstretched hand, but as it was, he accepted it willingly enough. [say]"Shed antlers, or...?"[/say] The wendigo tilts his head slightly; silly Ronin, murdery inclinations could never be gotten rid of.

Just then, far in the distance, Remi could hear the small and muted crK! of a branch being broken. Sharply turning toward the sound (his hand still in Ronin's, lol) he peers into the textured darkness. [say]'Are there...any bear-like monsters in these parts, or...?'[/say] Or was that just a bear.

[say]"I am,"[/say] Ronin chimes in agreement, not bothering to hide his sunny and very shit-eating grin to see the MIGHTY WENDIGO bested by some ice. [say]"You can get me a Best Friend mug for my birthday."[/say] Hefting Remi up so he's on level and more stable ground, Ronin scoffs under his breath and shakes his head. [say]"Of course not. That isn't the sort of thing that makes the Fae happy. And I thought you'd be able to make the most of the rest of the deer."[/say]

A real pal, see?

A shame that a maybe-bear-maybe-monster starts to ruin things, and Ronin's blue eyes flick towards the darkness despite being entirely useless (which is why his torchlight swings that direction, too). [say]"A few,"[/say] he admits. [say]"There have been a migration of a bunch of creatures since everything went to shit. Used to be that you wouldn't see even regular bears out here. Could be a yeti in this weather..."[/say]

[say]"Oh, but I already got you a life-sized American Girl doll for your birthday."[/say] The wendigo pouts as if he's put out by the idea that Ronin might want something else. Grinning, because who doesn't love a fresh kill, Remi nods, before the moment changes course and the wendigo is left glaring into the darkness.

Turning back to Ronin, his eyes all gold in the torch light, Remi raises a brow. [say]"Sarcasm?"[/say] He asks of this being a potential yeti, before awkwardly pulling his hand away and turning properly toward where he'd heard the sound. Sniffing at the air, he considers, before shaking his head. [say]"It does not smell like the sort of thing that is...overtly aggressive."[/say] It was hard to explain, how things smelled, but whatever was out there, it was the sort of thing that would leave them alone if they left it alone.

[say]"Lead on the way you were going. I will keep an ear out."[/say]

[say]"You did? Aw, damn. Well, maybe you can have her holding a Best Friend mug, and it'll cover everything. Or I could remind you again that I have two birthdays."[/say] Waggling his eyebrows (because it's bullshit and they both know it, really, the whole midwinter shit), it's unfortunate that the moment gets all ruined by a thing that might be a bear. He only notices that Remi's hand slips out of his own when he releases it, the Hunter clearing his throat and slowly panning the torchlight across the woodland.

[say]"Actually, no,"[/say] he says of his not-sarcasm, offering a smile that's almost apologetic to the wendigo. Nodding at the suggestion, however, Ronin does just that. And he manages to collect a sample of moss, a sprig of holly and some hawthorn as they continue, pausing to pack the items away in his backpack. [say]"How are we looking?"[/say] he asks, keeping his voice low. [say]"If you can smell a deer, by the way, feel free to head off and hunt it down."[/say]

Narrowing his eyes, because of course Ronin was able to seamlessly blend those two ideas together (#charm), Remi gives his head a shake. [say]"If you did, I would remind you that I am not getting you two sets of gifts."[/say]

Exhaling a small white plume to hear that yes, yetis might actually be around here, the wendigo bites at the inside of his cheek and lets his head loll back and forth. [say]"Well I am not sure what a yeti smells like, so..."[/say] ...so he'd be on the lookout, he supposes. Or nose-out? Whatever.

Sticking to Ronin like a shadow, Remi's head is almost constantly at an angle that he might be able to listen more acutely. Though the tips of his ears have gone red with cold, he doesn't feel it nor seems to mind. The downside was that even though he didn't really feel the cold, he could absolutely still get frostbite, and so it was with a grumble that he tried to turn the collar of his jacket up.

[say]"Mmm? Well,"[/say] Resisting the urge to say one of us is looking good, Remi instead replies with, [say]"there are a number around, mostly bedded down for the night by the sounds of it. Call you if you hear or see a yeti, yeah?"[/say] Receding into the dark, it's the flash of his eyes that's the last (creepy) thing that Ronin will see before Remi shifts. No longer completely silent, the wendigo still moves quietly for such a massive creature as he stalks through the darkness.

[say]"Well, drat,"[/say] Ronin murmurs with a smirk as he's helpfully reminded of the exact thing Remi did say to him about his two birthdays. As for the yeti, [say]"You did say it didn't seem immediately aggressive,"[/say] he murmurs. [say]"I'm not sure if that is yeti behaviour, but I suppose we'll just have to trust your nose for now."[/say] Which, you know, it isn't the first time and it won't be the last. At least there's no siren tonight.

Used to the wendigo sticking by him like some creepy second skin, their going is seamless in a way that would likely look impressive to any other Hunters - not that Ronin is keen to bleat about it. With their luck it would result in rookies tailing them to learn all about the wendigo-Hunter partnership. (Ew). Even so, it feels good to be out again like this, doing something that feels the right amount of dangerous, and as Remi peels away to get the deer, Ronin huffs out a laugh.

[say]"Oh, you'll hear me,"[/say] he assures him, watching him (or wishing he could, in the dark) melt away and shift, ghosting through the trees and out of sight. While Remi hunts, Ronin locates juniper berries and his Funeral Bell mushrooms, and begins to pick his way towards where he can hear the river running.

[say]"Hey, I am just the muscle."[/say] Remi protests, looking anything but the muscle just now. [say]"You are the one who is supposed to know these things."[/say] It isn't a criticism he means of course; who the hell knew things about yetis, aside from cartoons?

[say]maybe this time i will even answer[/say] Remi thinks back, his voice cold and dissonant even as he aims for humour. Such was the trade-off for this particular brand of telepathic speech: the wendigo could manage it, though his voice always sounded as horrible and nightmarish as he looked.

As Ronin nears the river, in the distance he'll hear the startled bleats of a small herd of deer, followed by enthusiastic running. Around 10 or so leap out in front of the hunter, all wide eyes and hammering hearts, and all does. Having once again failed to take into account his clothing, it's with his pants badly torn and his jacket around his neck like a scarf that Remi returns in human form. The toes of his shoes have blown out making them look like absurd sandals, but having just been in predator mode, the wendigo cares very, very little.

Eyeing Ronin, he gives his head a stiff shake.