Court of the Fallen
cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: cut our teeth and make our bones right here (/showthread.php?tid=7764)

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 07-17-2023

[say]"I certainly will,"[/say] Ronin mutters, and he certainly will not unless he has the sudden and inexplicable urge to be without a thumb. The reason he and Remi work together so well, after all, is because (unlike the majority of his kin, though those tides do seem to be changing) he has a healthy respect for the things the wendigo is capable of, even collared.

Pulling a face at Remi mid-stretch, the hunter snorts as if he has to be joking. [say]"In celebration of your being released from that torture chamber they call a science wing? In celebration of my getting a new roommate? In celebration of both of us being alive despite all the odds? Take your pick, man."[/say]

Crossing the room to grab his coat and tie his shoelaces and all that other good stuff, he nibbles at his cheek as he considers Remi's question. [say]"Nah,"[/say] he decides eventually, grabbing the wendigo-kit - just in case. [say]"If anyone asks we'll say they're contacts. The chain could be any old jewellery."[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 07-17-2023

[say]"Oh, I thought you meant..."[/say] It's wrong to say that Remi blushes, but his cheeks do seem to colour slightly as he realizes the mistake. Though maybe it's just the light. [say]"To not be stared at while sleeping."[/say] He offers, before smiling wickedly in Ronin's direction. [say]"For one of us, at least."[/say]

Not needing a jacket for the cold but moreso to hide who and what he is, it's with a skeptical stare that he regards Ronin for a long and silent moment. There are very few times when he has had reason to distrust the hunter, and though by no means does he think Ronin is intentionally leading him astray here, he does think perhaps the hunter is being a touch naive. Or optimistic. He never really understood the difference.

[say]"Can I at least borrow a sweater? Assuming you have something that will fit me."[/say] It's a joke of course; as a man Remi is significantly scrawnier than his hunter counterpart, but even so he stands straight and rolls his shoulders back to make them as broad as possible.

[say]"Joke's on you, what if I sleep walk?"[/say] Ronin raises his eyebrows; he doesn't, but if they're going for the wickedly bizarre, why not? [say]"Then we'll just be staring at each other endlessly. Or I'll try and put my shoes in the fridge. Who knows?"[/say]

Maybe he is being a touch naive, but Ronin nonetheless meets Remi's skeptical expression with a smile. [say]"You're more likely to draw attention by wearing sunglasses at night underground, that's all I'm saying,"[/say] he murmurs. [say]"But by all means - if it would make you feel comfortable."[/say] Likewise with the sweater, Ronin giving Remi a pointed up-and-down with his eyes before heading into his room.

When he returns, it's with a dark blue sweater that smells faintly of cheap detergent, sage and sandalwood (aka Ronin), the hunter passing it across to his new roomie. [say]"Is that better?"[/say] he asks, heading for the door.

[say]'Well unless you're planning on shackling me in bed, I can't see that being a problem.'[/say] Remi counters with a grin. [say]"And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that's how you got your steps in every day."[/say] He adds with a small shrug. Who knows indeed, and in a few hours he supposed he'd find out firsthand.

Standing firm and menacing shackled under Ronin's gaze, the wendigo blinks expectantly until he finds himself victorious. Unable not to notice just how overwhelmingly like the hunter the sweater smelled even without shifting, Remi tugs it on over his head before carefully adjusting it over his shoulders. Whatever the garment was to Ronin, Remi was very rarely given anything while in the medical wing, such that even throw-away garments were treated rather reverently.

[say]"Yes thanks."[/say] Remi chirps sarcastically, smoothing the material down over his stomach and making his way toward the door. Eyeing Ronin to make sure the hunter did indeed have the wendigo-kit with him, Remi steps out into the hall waiting for his partner to lock all 76000 locks.

[say]"Bet we could cheat at cards if there are any games going."[/say] Remi murmurs conversationally as they begin to stroll out of the apartment.

Unable not to bob his eyebrows at Remi - shackled to his bed, indeed - Ronin merely smiles to himself and proceeds with the arduous task of unlocking/relocking his apartment, until they are suddenly standing in the quiet hallway with nothing but the night stretching ahead of them. [say]"I'm pretty sure you tried that last time, and they were on to you,"[/say] he says conversationally, resting his hands in his pockets and doing his best to walk with Remi rather than just ahead of him, as is their usual custom.

[say]"We could always just play cards though, fair and square? Not that I've got anything to bet with. If there's a pool table I'll let you win, though."[/say] It's strange to be having such an ordinary conversation, even if they've had close to such things out on hunts together. When the backdrop is the quiet hum of distant voices and the echo of their footsteps on the stairs, it seems somehow more than.

[say]"So tomorrow morning,"[/say] he says as they exit the building, [say]"you report to Isla so she can give you a checkup, and then the day is ours. Might even get an assignment to do."[/say] How exciting.

[say]"Did I?"[/say] Frowning as if to suggest that it didn't sound at all like him, Remi brightens instantly with an idea. [say]"We could play for your weird pinecones."[/say] He suggests, and not that the wendigo has any to trade, but given how easily he could hear Ronin's heartbeat and his breathing, it wouldn't be hard to gauge his cards. [say]"What do you mean you'll let me win?"[/say] Remi wants to know, and though he's never actually played a game of pool, he finds himself instantly competitive for no reason at all.

About to say something about hitting balls with wood, mention of checking in with Isla has the amusement falling from Remi's lips as he nods thoughtfully. [say]"I suppose that means we can't get blackout drunk tonight, mmmm?"[/say] He asks as if 1. that were possible, and 2. they were the sort of men who went out and did such things.

[say]"Ooh, and assignment."[/say] Keeping his eyes low as they walk lest anyone peer too closely at the strange golden ring that bled around his pupils, Remi shrugs. [say]"We should try and get back out into the woods to see if any of your pals have been about."[/say] He murmurs under his breath. Not that anyone was around them, but certain topics seemed to demand that they only be spoken of in whispers.

You know, like if your friend is a changling baby who has now been threatened by its kind. That sort of thing.

[say]"Acorns,"[/say] Ronin corrects with a lopsided smile, the hunter heading in the opposite direction to the tunnels that lead topside (their usual course). [say]"The pinecones are much more dangerous. You've not seen them yet."[/say] They head in a vaguely downward trajectory, towards the clump of shanty buildings that have grown organically throughout the undertown.

It reminds Ronin of an ant nest (or a rat nest, more accurately), and whilst the building they've just left may have been quiet and relatively sleepy, the skinny streets and stacked districts are alive with the night. Indeed, the Sex and Sunset, when it comes into view, is a lot busier even than when they'd previously visited, and the "girls girls girls!" are on display in full thrust. (Heh, geddit).

[say]"Not sure we'll get a game of pool in without being crushed by tits,"[/say] he remarks to the wendigo at his side with a smirk.

[say]"Same thing."[/say] Remi says carelessly if only because he knows that they aren't, and it will likely annoy Ronin to hear him say so. [say]"Oh? Well that settles it. If I win, you show me your pinecones."[/say] Does Remi know how that sounds? Yes. Does he care? With all the jokes made thus far about staring at Ronin while he's sleeping? Absolutely not.

Wide-eyed now despite wanting to keep a low profile, given that they aren't sneaking into the bar this time around, Remi is fully agape at the undercity. The lights are mildly disorienting to his senses, and though he blinks rather aggressively at the neon and fluorescent signs, his mouth hangs appreciably open.

Feeling somewhat uncomfortable about the prospect of being crushed by tits or in their vicinity, not that he can really say why (sexual torture under the guise of medical research and testing, is the answer), Remi just snorts under his breath and nods toward the bar. [say]"Why don't we start there and see if we can't find somewhere to sit after."[/say] So saying, the wendigo takes a last deep inhale of what feels like "clean" air, before moving into the throng of evening drinkers.

[say]"Deal. And if you lose, I'll still show them to you. But it won't be in an enjoyable context,"[/say] Ronin replies sunnily enough, and with the number of shackled jokes paired with the watch-you-when-you're-sleeping jokes thus far, he's not even sure whether he means what he's said any more. But anyway. Back to the tits.

More bothered and squinty from the fluorescent lights than appreciative, Ronin nonetheless squeezes between several pairs of breasts and pawing hands to make space for the two of them to get to the bar, and if there's a gentle hand on Remi's back, it's for focus and direction rather than force. This is a little overwhelming for Ronin - he has no idea what it's like for the wendigo with him.

[say]"I haven't got anything to make you a Bloody Mary this time around, sorry,"[/say] he says apologetically. [say]"Hopefully being outside makes up for it."[/say]

[say]"Weird, but okay."[/say] Remi agrees, finding something endearing about what absolutely sounded like a threat on Ronin's part.

But yes, ahem, the tits.

The hands pawing at the wendigo has him biting at the inside of his lip and keeping his eyes trained up toward the ceiling. Hands with long nails on them reach for his arm, tugging at Ronin's sweater with whispered words of a good time. Not needing to hold his breath and yet looking absolutely like a man doing just that, it's with something like relief that he feels Ronin's hand against the small of his back and though it likely says a good deal about the life he's lived these past few years, Remi quite willingly submits to being physically led.

Trying not to be shoved back and forth (this at least Remi finds quite easily, able to stand like stone despite the jostling bodies around him), the wendigo tries for a laugh but sounds as though he has something caught in his throat instead. [say]"Definitely wasn't this busy last time."[/say] He murmurs in a voice that tries its best to be free of panic.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 07-18-2023

[say]"Mm, no. It wasn't,"[/say] Ronin murmurs as he sidles up beside Remi at the bar, his hand still a grounding presence against his back. The hunter is already on edge, trying to gauge the best route out of the Sunset (i.e. the route with the least amount of bodies in it), whether he can order a quick whiskey before it gets unbearably crowded, and the likelihood of Remi losing his shit and accidentally mauling half the people here, even if he can't shift.

[say]"Do you need something to help?"[/say] he asks, needing to lean in close to be heard, even if he feels like the wendigo would be able to pick his voice out regardless. At the same time he raises his free hand to hail the bartender, ordering himself a double on the rocks. By help, Ronin of course means one of the sedatives from the wendigo-kit. He knows it won't take Remi out, but if it makes things easier to deal with, it's sort of like being drunk, right?

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 07-18-2023

Remi can easily distinguish Ronin's voice, (he can also distinguish his smell, his heartbeat, and his body temperature too), but it doesn't bother him that the hunter leans in. Somehow it seems to break up the cacophony of input that berates the wendigo's senses and gives him something familiar to focus on.

Wondering whether or not he did need something to take the edge off, just as Remi opens his mouth to reply, it happens. The thing they'd been subtly wondering and worrying about this entire time. Just passed Ronin's shoulder a brawl suddenly erupts and a punch is thrown. Given that this is a bar full of hookers and hunters, it's a good solid shot that crackles with the sound of breaking bones and snapping cartilage as someone's nose collapses into their face amidst a garish string of curses. In slow motion, at least it feels that way to Remi, he can smell and see the droplets of blood that fly through the air, speckling the side of Ronin's face before they pitter-patter against his parted lips and onto his tongue.

Still partially leaning forward, Remi freezes as his eyes darken and his pupils widen. He hasn't closed his mouth yet, though gods he wants to, but already his saliva is mingling with the blood and dripping down the back of his throat.

Another punch is thrown and this time the sound is of a fist hitting wet flesh as yet more blood is sprayed into the air to thunderous applause.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 07-18-2023

Ronin is already reaching for the kit beneath his jacket, unfastening it and letting his fingers slip around one of the tranquilisers - something which will prove to be an extremely wise move in the next couple of seconds. His drink settles on the bar just as some asshole throws a punch, and suddenly there's blood on his face and in his whiskey and in Remi's mouth, and the cute little fight taking place has no idea how much worse things are potentially going to get.

Luckily, the thunder of applause, strippers screaming and the shoving of bodies to make an impromptu boxing ring is the perfect distraction (he hopes), and it's with a tragically practiced ease that Ronin plunges the sedative into the side of Remi's thigh through his clothes. [say]"I've got you. Just look for the emergency exit sign."[/say] Ronin already knows where it is - and he's going to be heading there as quickly as possible - but hopefully it gives Remi something to do.

[say]"One foot in front of the other, yeah? Keep talking to me. Tell me more about Italy, and how you ended up as a mechanic. You said it was some chop shop, right?"[/say] Let it never be said that Ronin isn't cool in a crisis, his arm wrapped firmly around the wendigo by now as he tries to hustle them outside.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 07-18-2023

I didn't even make it a day, Remi has time to think. The words are slow and sad in his mind as the taste of copper sings through his veins. The metal around his throat feels suffocating all of a sudden, but somewhere deep in his bones, there's a repeating chant that reassures him that even if he can't shift, he can still kill. It's fine, it's fine. He'll have the blood, he'll have-

-grunting as the needle pierces his skin, the wendigo blinks hard as his teeth click together. He can hear Ronin saying something, but for once the hunter's voice is distant and choppy despite how close he was. Even as he tries to nudge Remi toward the exit, the wendigo feels himself resisting. Leaning forward and into Ronin with his eyes fixed on the sights and sounds and oh gods the smells of the brawl just behind him, Remi gives his head a weak little shake as he inhales deeply.

[say]"I can't-"[/say] He says under his breath, as if he's trying to keep himself from hearing the words.