Court of the Fallen
cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: cut our teeth and make our bones right here (/showthread.php?tid=7764)

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 07-19-2023

[say]"How would I have eaten pizza in such a way as to get a blood splatter of sauce down myself?"[/say] Ronin is wondering, making sure he's got everything with him (you never know if you're going to get called out on some job, though the likelihood in the daytime is pretty low) while Remi takes off the sweater. He doesn't expect the garment to be so well taken care of, finding a smile on his lips as he gets the door open.

Their trip down to the medical wing is pretty quiet, actually - hunters tend to sleep a lot in the day, given the nature of their jobs - but by the time they reach the disinfectant scent and bleach-white walls of the research department, there's an understandable buzz of white coats and orderlies. And, of course, no shortage of eyeballs gawking at Remi as he passes by.

Isla has told Ronin where to go, and so it's outside a small examination room that he draws to a halt, gesturing for Remi to go ahead. [say]"I'll be out here,"[/say] he says. [say]"Just tell her I need to talk about the kit when you're done."[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Isla - 07-19-2023

[say]"Don't worry, she already knows."[/say] Isla has been in the process of opening the door of the examination room when she catches this little snippet from Ronin, and though she casts a suspicious eye at the kit she'd sent him off with the day before, it can wait. Offering a sunny smile to Remi - and honestly, she's barely been able to contain herself since yesterday, wondering how this stretch of freedom has treated him - she steps aside so he can enter the room.

[say]"Good morning,"[/say] she murmurs. [say]"If you can take a seat on the bed, I just need to do the usual, and then you can get on with your day."[/say] Which might be akin to their usual conversation, true, except this time Remi actually has a day to get on with.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 07-19-2023

[say]"If you...dropped it?"[/say] Remi hazards with a crooked smile, before his fingers are arranging the garment just so. It's both out of reverence and appreciation as much as because Grimm was a neat freak who had regularly taken it upon herself in the early days to beat Remi with rods of silver anytime he left his bed unmade.

Not holding his breath but not breathing either, Remi eyes the high and oppressively white walls of the medical wing with clear disdain and familiarity. [say]"Will do."[/say] Resisting the urge to say something like home sweet home, or that's assuming I manage to make it back (Remi isn't superstitious, but he is a little stitious), he straightens abruptly at the sound of Isla's voice.

Knowing the drill backward and forward by now, the wendigo goes to the bed and sits himself down. With one hand he rolls up his sleeve to reveal an unimpressive bicep, and the other he tucks under one leg as if that might provide some small amount of security for Isla. [say]'That's two good mornings I've heard today.'[/say] He says with a small smile. [say]"200% increase from yesterday."[/say]

[say]"Is that so? Given that good mornings are generally considered positive greetings, I'd say that means things are going in an upward trajectory since your release yesterday."[/say] Smiling to herself as she turns to collect her tools and lets Remi settle on the bed, Isla can't help but steal glances over at him, as if trying to note any differences now compared to the day before.

Once she's ready, the doctor goes through the usual vitals; pupil dilation, blood pressure, pulse and so on, before preparing to draw some blood. [say]"How has it been?"[/say] she asks as soon as she's able, glancing up at Remi's face. [say]"I haven't heard any reports, alerts or panic from the hunters' side of the complex, so I can only assume that your evening was quiet."[/say]

[SAY]"An upward trajectory, mmm? Sounds like someone has been writing articles again."[/say] Remi had found Isla's bedside manner was decidedly more academic when she'd been immersed in writing papers and the like. Not that the wendigo minded, but in lieu of Ronin's little comment about Isla likely knowing he had a bit of a crush on her, his level of familiarity with her mannerisms suddenly felt inappropriate.

More than aware that he's been looked at, Remi lifts his eyes and gazes casually around the room that Isla might see what she needed to without him having to necessarily watch her do it. [say]"Well, we had a pillow fight, made ice cream sundaes, and then watched a paper documentary."[/say] If they were playing two lies and a truth, Remi thought he might just win this round.

[say]"But no, it's been..."[/say] The mental scent of sandalwood, of blue eyes and sweaters, of Ronin's hand guiding him into the bar and then hauling him out of it again all flashed behind the wendigo's eyes. [say]"..just fine."[/say]

[say]"Well, given that a large part of my research is now taking place in the hunters' area of the complex, I suddenly find that I have quite a bit of free time on my hands,"[/say] Isla remarks with a grin, taking a vial of blood from the wendigo's arm with a precision that speaks of familiarity between them as much as with the work she does. [say]"It's given me time to reprioritise a few side projects."[/say]

Or - and she doesn't want to say it because he'll definitely feel guilty - time to work on the actual reason for the wendigo project, rather than just trying to damage control for Remi everyday. Nodding that he can roll his sleeve back down, Isla stores away the vial of blood and writes a few notes in that aforementioned file, before giving him her full attention again.

[say]"Fascinating,"[/say] she says with a skeptical raise of her brows, though her amusement is nonetheless clear. [say]"It can be even more positive than just fine if you want it to be. I'm not going to be offended that you prefer having a bit of agency,"[/say] she adds. [say]"How are the pills compared to the IV, by the way? Any side effects you've noticed?"[/say]

[say]"Unless you came out with us?"[/say] Remi finds himself suggesting before the ramifications of the offer paired with the events of last night promptly have him wishing he could take the words back. [say]"In..the future, if this goes on."[/say] He murmurs quickly, looking down at his arm where too-dark blood was currently flowing neatly into a vial. [say]"Side projects mmm? You've other monsters waiting in the wings, have you?"[/say] Gods, if only he could just make himself stop talking.

[say]'We really did watch a paper documentary."[/say] The wendigo counters with a sly tilt of his head. Tugging at his sleeve before staring fixedly at his knees, Remi considers, just briefly, lying. He's lied to Isla in the past of course, saying he was fine when he wasn't, saying he hadn't just been sodomized repeatedly because Grimm was in a bad mood, but as of yet he'd never done anything to specifically hinder Isla's work. Though his pause suggested that he was indeed thinking about it, the slump of his shoulders and the sigh that dropped from his lips spoke of resignation rather than deceit.

[say]"The pills don't work as quickly as an IV as I'm sure you'd have guessed, but they also aren't as effective. My blood dissolves them before they have a chance to really do much."[/say] Running his tongue over his teeth for a moment, Remi considers before continuing. [say]"And...out there with an environment that isn't as controlled...I'm not sure it would work to give me more, but...this isn't enough, long term."[/say]

It probably wasn't even enough for now, given how close he'd been to wendigoing out of his mind at the bar.

Offering Remi a surprisingly bright smile at that, Isla nonetheless shakes her head politely. [say]"I'm a doctor, Remi. I don't do well out in an environment like the one you and Ronin play in every day."[/say] She means, of course, the hunting side of things, but had Isla known about the Sunset, the tits on display, the gratuitous violence... honestly, tits aside, it's just like being in the medical wing anyway. So maybe.

[say]"Oh, hardly,"[/say] she murmurs of other monsters, not quite saying you're my favourite one but the implication is there regardless. [say]"Just don't be surprised if I offer you a few new things to try in the coming weeks."[/say] Providing, as he's already mentioned, that it's a long term thing.

Which, based on the wendigo's lengthy pause and eventual admission, feels as though it will never be, but (as Remi might have expected), Isla's hypothesis has included such challenges and hurdles. More interested than disappointed, the doctor flicks through Remi's file and removes a few papers, quickly jotting down his observations.

[say]"Thank you,"[/say] she says, her tone genuine as she smiles back up at Remi. [say]"I know it might have felt easier not to say anything, but this will help a great deal. I'll keep working on the pills, and in the meantime, we'll add an IV to your morning check in. You can use the current dosage to top up if you need to throughout the day. How does that sound?"[/say]

[say]'Okay ivory tower.'[/say] Remi quips, though in reality, he's glad Isla declined. The very last night he needed was to be put in a position with both Ronin and Isla's eyes on him, tits and gratuitous violence or not.

Raising his eyebrows before remembering himself, the wendigo does not tug at the innuendo but instead nods politely. [say]"Sounds...exciting."[/say] He says dryly, if only because new things from Isla could be anything from nanobots in his veins to a new brand of soap.

Glancing at her diligent notes and wondering what Ronin's own file on him, seashell or not, might look like, Remi finds himself for the first time trying to discern what Isla was writing based on the motion of her hands. He couldn't do it of course, though with enough practice he might have been able to, such was his vision. Fully expecting Isla to snap the file shut and tell Remi that he'd be staying in the wing until they could sort things out, that she was happy to let him try and manage his own dose as he saw fit while remaining free, had him all but gaping at her.

[say]'That..sounds..'[/say] Eyeing her warily, his words careful as if waiting for the other shoe to drop, the wendigo straightens on the bed. [say]"..good?"[/say]

[say]"We're underground, so I'd appreciate it if you'd refer to it using the proper name. Ivory bunker,"[/say] Isla correct, as dry as ever even as she finishes her notes, replaces them and closes the file. [say]"And you have no idea,"[/say] she adds about what new and exciting things might be coming for Remi down the pipeline. (Not just a new brand of soap - shampoo and conditioner, too!)

Having gotten the file in order, as well as the vial of blood to test once he's gone on his merry way, Isla isn't quite expecting to see the wendigo openly gaping at her when she straightens up and turns back around to face him. [say]"I'm glad,"[/say] she says slowly. [say]"If there's anything else you think you need, or would be helpful, just let me know, okay? For now, I'll get an IV set up for you and go chat to Ronin about whatever the fuck he's done to my kit."[/say]

Placing an apologetic hand over his heart, Remi splayed the fingers of his other hand in a conciliatory gesture. [say]"Hopefully you will forgive an ignorant monster his mistakes."[/say] He mutters, fingers itching over his chest as if to dampen the feeling of excitement that all of this was (uncomfortably) causing.

Still staring at Isla, as if expecting her to reach up and pull off a mask and some sort of illusory suit and reveal that it was Grimm all along, Remi nods slowly. [say]"Nothing I can think of."[/say] He murmurs, and when he sips in a small breath of air it's absolutely to try and ensure that Isla still smells like Isla.

[say]"Oh, that. It was my fault really."[/say] He murmurs of the kit, and while technically true, because he doesn't like lying to Isla, he'll let Ronin explain the rest of it. Tugging back at his sleeve for the IV, Remi blinks unnecessarily a few times while his mind works to convince his tongue to spit out the words he'd been toying with ever since he came in.

[say]"I...a few weeks ago...I really didn't want to wake up, after..."[/say] After he'd tried to kill himself. Looking down into his hands, unspoken words flash across the wendigo's face in a myriad of small gestures before he raises his eyes to Isla and offers her a small smile. [say]"..this really helps."[/say]

[say]"But of course. Every day is a school day, or so they say,"[/say] Isla tells him sweetly, already moving to the small fridge in the corner of the examination room where she's (of course) prepped a few IV bags precisely for an occasion such as this. [say]"That's fine. It's only been a night, really, and you'll see me every morning, so if there is anything you think of, just let me know."[/say]

Preparing the IV line and carefully inserting it into the crook of Remi's arm, Isla is preparing to leave the wendigo in peace while she speaks with Ronin when his voice hits the air again. Furrowing her brow and seeming equal parts sad and relieved, Isla reaches out to grasp one of his hands, giving it a warm squeeze. [say]"I know you joke about it, but you're a man, not a monster. Grimm couldn't hurt a monster the way she managed to hurt you,"[/say] she says softly, before straightening up.

[say]"I'm glad we can finally make other people understand that, too. I'll be back in a few minutes."[/say]

Remi has to bite at his tongue as Isla reaches - and then grabs - at his hand. The silver collar around his neck means he's mostly safe to be around, especially given that the only fresh blood in the room is his, but gods if it isn't a shock to his senses just the same. Her hand is warm and small but her words feel sharp and excruciating for their kindness. Feeling overstimulated and yet yearning for more, Isla has straightened and moved away from the wendigo before he can formulate a proper answer, leaving Remi nodding stiffly in the doctor's wake.

Looking down into his hand, only once the door is closed does Remi softly trace the place Isla's fingers had just been, before reaching down to grip the bedframe with both hands and squeezing hard enough to have the metal bars groaning.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 07-19-2023

It's only a matter of ten minutes or so before the tranqs have been replaced and Remi has been properly hydrated, and Ronin waits mostly patiently for the wendigo's release. Oblivious to whatever acts of intimacy (hand holding, gasp) have taken place behind the closed doors of the examination room, when Remi finally does appear, Ronin has already made several mental shopping lists and has read all of the safety documentation in the wendigo kit.

The point being, he's bored now.

[say]"I'm glad you've had breakfast, because I'm starving,"[/say] he says cheerfully, getting to his feet and gesturing for the other man to hurry. [say]"Come on. I hate these walls,"[/say] he says, and that probably says a lot about how Remi must feel about the medical wing, after having been trapped in it for years.