Court of the Fallen
cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: cut our teeth and make our bones right here (/showthread.php?tid=7764)

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 07-21-2023

[say]"Carve them, mm?"[/say] Remi says wonderingly. [say]"With what? All the sharp tools Susan will no doubt allow me to have? Or perhaps I will be allowed to use my own tools, and be free of this."[/say] He thumbs at the thick collar around his neck with a smirk. As for full wendigo mode, Remi can only laugh as he looks down at his hands. [say]"You know, for as easy as I make this all look, having fingers made of mostly bone is not as useful as you might think."[/say]

Pleased that they were both happy to exclude the rest of the world at least for now, Remi smiles bashfully as he nibbles at the inside of his cheek. [say]"She did, though growing up of course I did not appreciate it."[/say] He says, glancing at Ronin over the table as if to judge whether this was a situation the hunter had also experienced.

[say]'Ah, well. He did not know it was me. Neither did she, until she caught me doing it one day. At the start, it was enough that I let her know someone else thought of her every day."[/say] The wendigo explains as he picks up the coffee cup out of habit. [say]'Maybe if she never caught me things would have turned out differently...for the both of us."[/say] Hazarding another glance toward the hunter, Remi swallows unnecessarily. [say]"I wonder about that, sometimes."[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 07-21-2023

[say]"With one of those long latte spoons? You're strong enough to do it, I bet,"[/say] Ronin suggests with a grin, rolling one of his shoulders in a shrug. Though his own tools would be better, granted, and in this hypothetical wendigo-coffee-shop, of course Remi would be allowed to use whatever he needed to attend to his customers. [say]"It isn't?"[/say] He gasps, as if this knowledge is a complete revelation. [say]"And here I had images of you knitting and everything as a full wendigo."[/say]

The glance across the table will be met by Ronin smiling into his coffee cup, which probably ought to answer the question in and of itself. But given that Remi is opening up, it only seems fair that he uses his words, too. [say]"I don't remember my mother,"[/say] he admits. [say]"And the fae aren't at all like Tinkerbell would have you believe."[/say] As Remi has now found out firsthand.

As for Carmelita and the great game of what-if, he can only shake his head gently. [say]"Things might have been better or they might have been worse,"[/say] he points out. [say]"You only have to go topside for five minutes to know that death isn't the worst thing out there."[/say] Topside, or to Susan's office.

[say]"The blood tends to get all over the yarn which makes it really difficult to work with."[/say] Remi says, nodding sadly as if the difficulties of knitting with bone-fingers was something the wendigo had struggled with for years.

[say]"Oh...oh right."[/say] Frowning slightly, the wendigo taps a finger against the table thoughtfully, before itching it across his forehead. [say]"I suppose I just imagined..."[/say] Exhaling, he shakes his head. What he'd imagined didn't matter. [say]"How old were you when you...came back?"[/say] Or were put back? Released?

Not wanting to argue the point, the wendigo just adjusts the cup from one hand to the other. [say]"That is what I mean though. I might have just..died in Italy like everyone else, instead of becoming this."[/say] No Carmelita meant no trip to Canada, meant no wendigo in the woods, meant no girlfriend murder.

Wishing they could just continue shittalking about blood knitting, Ronin instead resigns himself to the sort of character building conversations that he and Remi, by rights, should have been having ages ago given how long they've known each other. [say]"I think about 13 when I first started coming through the veil again,"[/say] he says slowly. [say]"That's when I made my first pact with my godmother. I was..."[/say]

His expression darkens considerably as he wonders how much to reveal, before realising that Remi probably wouldn't be surprised or horrified by much of anything he had to say. [say]"I helped to take other changelings, for a while,"[/say] he says. You know, a casual bit of baby-napping, all good.

[say]"Then they started training me for hunting. I don't think they ever intended for it to be against the sort of shit that happened in the end. Mainly I was just a tool to help defend my godmother's territory."[/say] But when what happened had happened.

As for the death of it all, Ronin winces and nods. [say]"No, that's a good point. Then again, we still don't know why you're like this,"[/say] he points out. No other wendigo is like Remi, after all.

The veil? Remi's eyebrows flinch together, though not wanting to interrupt and ask if that was a metaphorical description or some actual thing out there that the hunter had parted like a curtain. [say]"Sure, sure. As one does."[/say] The wendigo agrees with a nod; he's appropriately somber about the whole thing, but as someone whose body counter was higher than he could even guess at, it wasn't as if he was in a position to judge. [say]"What's the..."[/say] Looking just over Ronin's shoulder for a moment, Remi's eyes narrow before he looks back.

[say]"..the why? From what I can tell wendigos just..are. There's no plan to it. But the Fae at least seem somewhat organized. Is taking and making other changelings is that just...like a form of reproduction?"[/say] It felt like a crude way of putting it, but then maybe given the horrible nature of what the Fae had turned Ronin into, that was to be expected.

[say]'Ah well, for the good of science I suppose it is great that it happened.'[/say] He snorts, smirking darkly before rolling his eyes.

[say]"Not reproduction,"[/say] Ronin says with a shake of his head. [say]"The fae take children to put them to work or just as general playthings,"[/say] he continues. [say]"The creatures left behind to replace the human babies usually just get sick and die. But there are infinite uses for a human child in the fae realm."[/say] A tool that's either mortally afraid or utterly devoted, that can lie and wield cold iron? Priceless.

[say]"I mean, for the good of science I guess we can say that about a lot of things,"[/say] he adds just as darkly, before drinking the rest of his coffee. [say]"That,"[/say] he informs Remi, [say]"was incredible. Name your price for teaching me how to make coffee that way."[/say] Obviously he can't free the wendigo or anything like that, but if it's within Ronin's power he'll do it.

[say]"Ohh..."[/say] Frowning, Remi nods with an understanding he wished wasn't as readily available to him as it was. That other species (races?) were just as quick to enslave the weak and vulnerable as humans were was something he didn't find surprising at all. [say]"What's the fae realm like..?"[/say] Inching forward on what felt like uncertain ground, now that each has taken steps to open up about their pasts, Remi simply assumed they'd each call a halt if things got too far.

[say]"Can and have."[/say] The wendigo agrees with a stern nod, wondering what sorts of atrocities someone like Isla could name, before very quickly deciding he didn't even want to think about it. As for his price? Remi shakes his head, and though there's a fairly significant scowl on his lips given their topic of conversation, a smile eventually does bully its way through. [say]"Think nothing of if. It's what friends are for, mm?"[/say]

Remi raises his eyebrows only just as he glances at Ronin; it is what friends are for, right?

He's been expecting the question, in truth, Ronin smiling into his (mostly empty) cup now and weighing up how to respond. [say]"It's really weird,"[/say] he says eventually, laughing at his own vague description. [say]"It doesn't obey the laws of physics the way this realm does. And like I said, there are different territories. The spaces in fae tend to warp and change depending on whose ground you're on, and how they're feeling at the time."[/say] Sort of like wandering through someone's lucid dream, he supposes.

Ronin is fully expecting some kind of strange compromise in return for Remi's coffee-making, so when he replies so earnestly and with a remark so simple and yet not, the hunter can do little more than smile at him and offer a warm nod. [say]"Yeah, of course. Thank you,"[/say] he says, before chuckling. [say]"I'll add this to my growing list of reasons why I think this trial should be made permanent,"[/say] he decides.

The wendigo frowns, making no attempt to disguise his expression of utter confusion. That it made no sense didn't really matter though. It would be like trying to explain what it was like to be a wendigo to Ronin, he supposed. [say]"Charming."[/say] He mutters at last, opting not to ask any follow-up questions if only because in the big scheme of things, what did it matter? Maybe he'd find out what the fae realm was like for himself one day, or maybe it would never come up again. Either way, trying to wrap his mind around physics-altering other realms was hardly going to do him any good right now.

Grinning openly now, the wendigo tilts his head to the side with a half-smile that seems to spring up as if to balance his face. [say]"Because it gets you a free barista?"[/say] He guesses, before glancing toward the front door. [say]"I suppose I would also make a fairly good alarm system should anyone try and come in."[/say] Turning his attention back to Ronin, the wendigo raises his eyebrows wonderingly [say]"Whether or not that makes up for the utter lack of privacy you would have with me around..."[/say] Looking down at his coffee, Remi shrugs. [say]"..might just be worth it."[/say]

[say]"It actually can be,"[/say] Ronin informs the wendigo with a flash of teeth and a shrug of his shoulders. [say]"When it wants to be, anyway. And obviously getting a free barista is top of the list."[/say] It's with a solemn nod that he gestures around at the cups, the coffee grounds and the other equipment Remi has brought into the apartment, as if to ask what he's supposed to do with it all if not for the wendigo.

[say]"And not to worry. I feel as though I'll be able to get some privacy if I really need it."[/say] And if not him then whatever forces his godmother has at her disposal. Either way, all of that is to say that he thinks Remi is a pretty decent roommate, especially after these recent developments.

[say]"Anyway. Do you want to watch some more trash on TV for a bit? I usually try to get some more sleep in the afternoon ready for hunting this evening, but I can spare an hour or two for you to watch The Office."[/say]

Remi, interpreting the glance as one which means clean this the fuck up, clears his throat and rises, pushing his chair away with the backs of his knees. [say]'You say that, but it is very quiet in here, which makes everything you do very loud."[/say] The wendigo counters with a shrug as he goes to the sink and begins to wash away the grounds of coffee from the press. [say]"Do they still make noise-cancelling headphones?"[/say] He wonders, glancing over his shoulder. [say]"Because if you ever planning on bringing someone in here with you...or even masturbating, I would suggest we find me a pair."[/say]

Having not napped in years much less slept through the night, at the mention of a rest before the evening's activities, Remi finds himself instantly tempted. [say]"After being out this morning, I would actually be okay laying down for a bit as well. I'm not sure I'll sleep but...I mean, it was a lot for me."[/say]

Surprised to see Remi suddenly on his feet, Ronin waves a hand after him as if belatedly realising he might have misunderstood. [say]"Don't worry about it,"[/say] he tells him. [say]"It's not like anyone else is going to use the kitchen, right? Besides, it only seems right that you should enjoy the smell of coffee for as long as you can."[/say] For all that it had been a gift and a delight, Remi had still bought it for himself. (And Ronin is still proud, honestly).

[say]"I usually keep the radio on,"[/say] he points out, nodding at said radio at the end of the kitchen counter. [say]"But that's a pretty good point. If only we weren't saving up for a VW camper, we could have gotten some headphones for you earlier."[/say] For now, no masturbating for you, Ronin.

Surprised but not to hear that the wendigo would be alright with a rest, the hunter nods and gets to his feet. [say]"I bet,"[/say] he says, smiling softly. [say]"Remember to write it in your diary, yeah? And I guess I'll set an alarm for a few hours, and we can go and see what's ready for killing topside."[/say]

Snorting, Remi doesn't stop cleaning despite the wave of Ronin's hand. It was second nature to the wendigo now not to leave things laying around, lest they either be taken away by Susan, or be pUniShEd. [say]'I can smell it on your breath.'[/say] He murmurs, both as a dig as much as a statement of fact.

Glancing at the radio and tilting his head at it as if it might suddenly turn on and give a demonstration of the sorts of sounds it was able to produce, the wendigo just smirks before snapping his fingers. [say]"Ah yes. Well, we all have to make sacrifices."[/say] He chuckles. [say]"I suppose you will just have to go and find your demigoddess if you want to get laid."
[/say]
Wiping the counter clean, the wendigo turns, and though he doesn't yawn, his body seems to relax as if he had. [say]"Dear diary. Today being with Ronin was so boring I took the first nap I've had in 6 years. Love Remi."[/say] He intones sweetly. [say]"You probably won't have to wake me up, but...yeah, let me know when you're ready to head out."[/say]

So saying, Remi wandered into his room and without closing the door he laid down on the bed. Yes, he was on top of the covers still dressed, but he did in fact close his eyes. Whether looking as though he was dead was better than mildly possessed and staring at the ceiling was any better, would be up to Ronin to decide.

[say]"I knew this touching moment between us was too good to last,"[/say] Ronin says through a sigh as Remi delivers a 3/3 on the sass-every-time-he-opens-his-mouth. [say]"Alright. See you later."[/say] Waving over his shoulder as he heads for his bedroom, this time Ronin still closes and locks the door, but there's no extra silver involved. (He might feel more comfortable around the wendigo, but he still doesn't want to be watched while he's asleep).

And so that's that; the beginning of a routine that gets easier every day despite challenges - and there are some challenges, even if they rarely seem to arise between Remi and Ronin directly. Because of course Hinkerstinker and Grimm have their opinons, and some of the other hunters in the complex have their concerns, and maybe once or twice Ronin has thrown a punch on his partner's behalf and been reprimanded.

But all good things - even sneakily purchasing Remi some clothes so he isn't wearing the same sweater every day - must come to an end. And despite the trial being, for all intents and purposes, a screaming success, the morning does arrive when Ronin has to take that last walk down to the medical wing with the wendigo. [say]"Well,"[/say] he says softly, walking purposely slowly down the stairs, [say]"this is your last chance to wear a fake moustache and pretend you're Remi's human twin brother."[/say]