Court of the Fallen
cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: cut our teeth and make our bones right here (/showthread.php?tid=7764)

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 07-24-2023

Meaning to close his fingers around Morgan's wrist and snap the delicate bones within, the wendigo finds that it's his own finger that has broken, and the dry snap! of it is far less satisfying than he'd been hoping for. With a snarl, the wendigo tugs his arm back, and were it not for the aroma of Ronin's blood on the air, Remi might have aimed a swipe at the witch's face for good measure.

[say]cagna. scegli qualcuno della tua taglia[/say] Whatever languages the fae could speak, it wouldn't surprise Remi if she understand him. If not, his tone was clear enough: however highly she thought of herself, the wendigo thought of her negatively in equal measure.

Having never left Ronin like this before and certainly not one to walk away from a fight, nevertheless the wendigo does walk back across the stadium, though he does so slowly. Even back in the locker room he'll be able to hear the pair so long as he really focuses, but not before glancing about on the off chance that Ronin has just happened to drop some of his acorns or walnuts or whatever they were.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 07-24-2023

[say]"Mm, and he speaks one of the old languages, too?"[/say] Morgan blows a kiss after Remi. [say]"Just call my name if you ever want to see me, piccolo."[/say] With a soft peal of laughter like a sunshower, she turns her attention back to her charge. However slowly he wants to drag his bony self across the stadium, it makes little difference to her.

As such, Remi will be able to hear the conversation in full, though it may only leave him with further confusion. He'll be able to hear the shower of kisses Morgan bestows upon Ronin's forehead and cheeks, he'll hear the questions she has about the nuckelavee and why he hadn't called her, about the shapeshifer and Cernunnos's presence in the woods. He'll hear the rustle of silk and smell blood on the air.

And as for Ronin's replies, they are candid, quiet and void of anything but respect. Cernunnos has returned for Ronin, and he doesn't believe anything Morgan does will prevent it (hence the sudden scent of blood). Remi had dealt with the nuckelavee, and he'll promise anything she wants if it means she leaves the wendigo alone. Morgan doesn't accept.

Finally, with a breeze that has no right to be this warm in the wintertime, Ronin is left alone once more. With a row of crimson lines across one cheek as if he's been scratched by a cat's claws and a posture that gives off utter exhaustion, he comes to find his partner.

Having left his jacket on the opposite side of the field, it's with just a wet and bloody towel wrapped around his waist that Remi meets Ronin as the hunter starts his walk of shame. There's an exaggerated smirk on Remi's lips as he considers which of the many quips he might offer up his partner, though it fades away instantly as he properly looks upon the other man. No stranger to trauma, the wendigo just clenches the hand holding up his towel and offers the hunter a sincere look of concern.

[say]'You okay?'[/say] He wonders, finding how much he disliked the scent of springtime that was suddenly swamping all of Ronin's usual smells, and wondering if he wiped at Ronin with the towel, dirty as it was, if he'd be able to rid his friend of it.

[say]"Oh, shit. Sorry, I forgot your coat,"[/say] Ronin mumbles as he spots Remi swaggering out in his towel, turning to lead them back in the opposite direction so the wendigo can dress in more than his birthday suit and a pair of shoes. [say]"I will be, I hope. I'm just tired and I need a drink,"[/say] he says of being okay, letting his shoulders sag a little as they reach the discarded trench coat.

[say]"Is your hand okay?"[/say] he asks, retrieving the garment and holding it out for Remi to shrug into, all the while checking the stadium for any signs of further bullshit. Only when Remi is dressed (ish) does Ronin grasp his shoulders suddenly, searching out too pale eyes under the stadium spotlights. [say]"Don't ever call for her, okay?"[/say] he says. [say]"Not even if it feels like nothing. Not even if you think you're doing it for me."[/say]

[say]"I think you mean I forgot my coat."[/say] The wendigo counters smoothly. Holding his breath and actively trying to keep his nose closed against the overwhelming scent of eau de fae bitch, Remi grabs his jacket and marches back in the opposite direction before bothering to put it on.

Using one arm to put on the coat as the other holds the towel, only once he's sure he's mostly got it does Remi allow the towel to drop so that he can button the trench coat up. It will hardly keep him warm, but that isn't its purpose anyway, so the wendigo hardly minds. [say]"Mm? No, broken."[/say] He says mildly of his hand, before frowning as his shoulders are suddenly clasped and Ronin becomes Very Serious.

Raising an eyebrow and failing to see what the hunter was so upset about, Remi just nods slowly. [say]"...sure? Why would I call for her?"[/say] He wants to know. [say]"What...is she? Other than horrible. That I figured out for myself."[/say]

Grumbling his agreement - alright, Remi, you forgot your coat and Ronin has autonomy again - the hunter can only wince an apology at the news that the wendigo's hand is absolutely broken. [say]"We'll say a ghoul did it,"[/say] he mutters, and though they really ought to be leaving the stadium behind and heading back to undertown before more trouble shows up, it is vital that he knows Remi understands first.

[say]"Because she'll want you to call for her,"[/say] he mutters, letting his hands drop and rubbing at his eyes as they head out over a pile of ghoulish bodies. [say]"She's taken a shine to you. She might just... show up to see you. She'll make you like her. And then you'll want to call her, and that's when you end up making a deal with a faerie."[/say] And things will go real south real fast, Ronin promises him that.

As for what she is, he lets out a soft laugh and shrugs his shoulders. [say]"Something from a fairytale, practically,"[/say] he mutters. [say]"I don't know how much you know about King Arthur, but Morgan Le Fay was - is - a powerful sorceress from that legend. She's practically fae royalty. And she's also my faerie godmother."[/say]

Frowning as he shakes his head, Remi looks down as his hand and gives his thumb an experimental waggle. [say]"Honestly, it will probably have healed by the time we get back. Good enough that no one will notice right away."[/say] No one of course didn't include Isla, but for Ronin, the wendigo was happy to lie.

[say]"Congratulations to her."[/say] Remi says with another of those shrugs that was indicative of just how little of the situation he understood. Letting Ronin finish, the wendigo can only scoff and shake his head. [say]"I won't do it. Besides, the very last thing I want to do is be related to you and have to start caring about acorns and sage."[/say] He says with a laugh.

[say]"Assolutamente niente."[/say] Remi replies, holding the fingers of his good hand together to make a zero. [say]"But...none of that is real.."[/say] The wendigo implores, frowning doubtfully at Ronin. He could believe in the fae he supposed, but all of that King Arthur stuff? Come on. [say]"So she came to you, and you what? Said you would be her godson in exchange for being handsome?"[/say]

Honestly, the wendigo's dry humour is exactly what Ronin needs right now, the hunter finding himself laughing despite everything as they meander back through the streets towards the grate that will lead them to the Undertown tunnels. [say]"Who the fuck says I want to be related to you either?"[/say] he says with a half smile. [say]"Besides, you wish you'd get to be her godson. She'd probably just make you a glorified footstool."[/say]

Groaning at the other man's ye but it isn't reeeeeal, Ronin can only roll his eyes. [say]"Yeah, neither were banshees and ghouls until a few years ago,"[/say] he reminds him. [say]"And no, actually. I was born handsome."[/say] If Ronin had long hair, he'd flick it over his shoulder for good measure. [say]"I agreed to be her godson so I could come back here,"[/say] he continues, though his voice is a great deal quieter at the admission.

[say]"It's because of Morgan that I was able to come back through the veil and try to make a life. Then... y'know. The world went to dogshit."[/say]

[say]"Well now I'm definitely not going to call for her."[/say] Remi decides with a huff that's purely for Ronin's benefit. [say]"I'm definitely not into feet, although...I would like to ask her how she got you to shut up so quick. I'd like to learn that."[/say] He adds with a grin, and were he not afraid of knocking the hunter on his ice for all of the slush and ice around, he'd have nudged him for good measure.

[say]'Sure you were.'[/say] The wendigo snarks back, though his tone has lost a good deal of its laughter as he considers the suddenly serious expression Ronin's face has taken on. [say]"What fucking timing you have."[/say] He murmurs; at least Remi had become a monster when the world suddenly became full of them.

[say]"So...how does this work then? You're just indebted to her forever and she comes around to pull your strings and make your friends into footstools when she gets bored, or...?"[/say] Remi raises his eyebrows, before kneeling down to shove the grate away from the ladder with his good hand.

It might be a joke but even the idea of Remi calling Morgan just to ask her a question has Ronin wrinkling his nose, and though he tries to maintain his joviality, it's a difficult thing when it comes to his relationship with his godmother. [say]"I mean, it's pretty easy. Just convince me to sell myself into servitude and seal it with a fae pact,"[/say] he murmurs. [say]"It hurts, trying to go against what she tells me to do."[/say]

Helping to heave the grate away, Ronin gestures for Remi to go first so he can concentrate on climbing while he re-covers their entrance. [say]"Right? Might have been born handsome, but I'm also hella unlucky, apparently."[/say] With a grumble of effort, the hunter seals them into the darkness and they begin the descent to the tunnels. [say]"I mean, pretty much,"[/say] he says. [say]"If she has anything she needs me to do, she'll tell me. And obviously with the current situation, she's at risk of losing me, so she's obviously a little more invested."[/say]

Miming taking notes, the wendigo nods dutifully. [say]"Okay, I'm sure I can get you to sell yourself into servitude since you have already done it once, so...what's this fae pact? Just some glitter and walnuts, or..?"[/say] Furrowing his brow, the wendigo suddenly huffs. [say]"If this is a sex thing, I am going to have to stop you right there."[/say] He jests, ignoring but absolutely hearing what the ramifications of disobedience were and knowing intimately what that was like.

[say]"No kidding. Born handsome and now look at you."[/say] Remi calls from the darkness. [say]"Ahh, I see."[/say] He hums, despite not seeing at all.

[say]"Well, while we are on the subject and given that I quite literally cannot help eavesdropping...don't...don't try and protect me in this. Honestly, for as bad as you say she is, my life cannot get much worse than it is now, so if it comes to you bearing the weight of anything more or me doing it..."[/say] Not really knowing how to say it, the wendigo just grumbles as he continues to climb down.

[say]'I won't bargain on your half, and you don't bargain on mine. Deal?"[/say]

[say]"Glitter, walnuts, blood and a sex thing. So I guess you're out, huh?"[/say] Ronin calls down the ladder with a smile that doesn't reach his eyes; not that it matters, since Remi can't see his face right now anyway. [say]"And I know, right? How the mighty have fallen."[/say] Can't hear for shit, unlucky as all hell, and his faerie godmother wants to get her claws into his friend. All around good times for Ronin.

Listening intently as the subject turns to Remi's too-good-at-eavesdropping, Ronin grumbles under his breath but, regrettably, the wendigo makes a point that's valid, fair, and best for them both. Waiting until they're on solid ground again, Ronin offers the other man a guilty smile, but he nonetheless nods. [say]"Deal,"[/say] he murmurs, feeling privately relieved, because he knows Morgan wouldn't be above using Ronin to get Remi to bargain with her.

[say]"It's a real dick move that they've put you back in the medical wing,"[/say] he says suddenly as they head down the tunnels. [say]"On nights like this, I could really use your unique brand of misunderstanding The Office's humour."[/say]

[say]"Out and then some. I don't do glitter."[/say] The wendigo calls with a boyish laugh. [say]'Oh and you're mighty now as well."[/say] Exhaling theatrically as if that was the final straw in all of this, as Remi's feet touch down, he nearly opts to reach up and yank Ronin to him. Were it not for his injured hand and the fact that Ronin seemed like he was nursing an emotional hangover just now, he might have done it.

[say]'What do you mean misunderstanding? It just isn't funny.'[/say] The wendigo says testily, though his words have no real bite. Looking down at one hand and flexing it to see how much it had healed (quite a bit, actually), he considers. [say]"I mean...they don't know we're back yet, do they? We could watch an episode and tell them we found even more ghouls to deal with to explain why we're late. Then my hand will be fully healed and I won't even have to lie to Isla. "[/say] The wendigo suggests, finding the idea quite palatable despite the fact that even a month ago neither man would have even dreamed of such a plan much less seriously considering it.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 07-25-2023

[say]"I've always been mighty, but now you're finally at a point where I think you can appreciate it,"[/say] Ronin sasses, though it's lacking in its usual vibrance. [say]"And I'm glad to hear it was the glitter that was the straw that broke the wendigo's back. I'll post something into the fae feedback box for you."[/say]

His footsteps slow to a halt to hear the beginnings of Remi's suggestion (his wrong opinions about The Office aside), the hunter wondering whether or not they'll actually manage it without being caught, before deciding abruptly that he doesn't care and he'll deal with the consequences later. Can't be worse than Morgan, in his view.

[say]"Alright,"[/say] he says in an attempt at breeziness, though he does reach belatedly into the inside pocket of his jacket. [say]"Sorry,"[/say] he adds, drawing out the silver choker. Waiting for Remi's permission (and isn't that refreshing, too), only once he's gotten it will Ronin reach out to fix the clasp around the wendigo's neck, though he forgoes the leash as usual.

[say]"If we're quick, there might be time for coffee, too,"[/say] he adds off-handedly, trying not to sound too hopeful.