Court of the Fallen
cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: cut our teeth and make our bones right here (/showthread.php?tid=7764)

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 07-26-2023

Putting both book and coffee somewhere neither would spill or fall, the wendigo goes to fetch his coat. There isn't time to remove the clothes Ronin gave him, though hopefully, no one would notice that they weren't the ones he'd set out in that evening.

[say]"Er...n-no sir, it was just...when you didn't check in...uh..."[/say] The walkie clicked off for a moment, cutting off the soldier's nervous throat clearing. [say]"Well so, they were going to send a squad out but..."[/say] Hissing something to someone else the walkie cuts out, then back in. [say]"Listen Ronin, we're all good here but it's the medical wing that was all up in arms."[/say] Whether this is meant to serve as a warning or explanation is up to Ronin.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 07-26-2023

[say]"Ah, c'mon, you don't have to do the sir thing,"[/say] Ronin mutters into the walkie as he carefully fixes the chain to Remi's choker. [say]"I'm sorry - it's been a long night on this end, too. I'll take care of shit down at the medical wing, and I'll cover a patrol of the tunnels once I'm done."[/say] The sound of his unlocking the many catches and locks on his door will carry plainly through the walkie, and Ronin steps out and locks up in record time.

[say]"At least you caught me before they sent the squad. I don't feel like being tased tonight. All good here too - be careful out there, okay?"[/say] Saying his goodbyes and letting the walkie go dead, Ronin lets out a long, shivering sort of sigh and rolls his shoulders as if to rid them of tension, before glancing over his shoulder to Remi. [say]"Sorry, I guess it's curfew time for you."[/say]

Following along silently until the conversation is done, the wendigo can only shrug. It's difficult not to feel infinitely disappointed that their little detour was over so quickly, and yet he wasn't at all surprised. Still, it stung in a way he wouldn't have predicted, especially since all they were doing was watching a documentary.

[say]"What is it they say? Too much of a good thing?"[/say] The wendigo muses, sounding as though he's trying to convince himself that this is all for the best. Not needing to sigh but doing it anyway, Remi itches the back of his neck as they make their way back toward the medical wing where no doubt they'll both receive some sort of lecture. [say]"Ah well. At least you know how to make your coffee in the morning."[/say] It's a poor attempt at levity and one that feels incredibly uncomfortable, but for the first time in a long while the silence between them begs to be filled, at least on Remi's end.

[say]"Mm, something like that,"[/say] Ronin murmurs, even though, like Remi, he currently feels like it's not enough of a good thing right now. [say]"And that's true, yeah. Think of me as well, won't you, while you're all cozy in your room and I'm doing a pointless patrol through the tunnels for ghouls we both know aren't there."[/say] Smirking across to the other man, they both know Ronin will carry out the task for authenticity's sake, though he also feels the silence stretch between them as they approach the medical wing.

[say]"And, you know... maybe I'll accidentally burn the coffee tomorrow as well,"[/say] he says quietly, beeping them into the wing and raising his eyebrows at Remi, as if to suggest that maybe a helpful Italian wendigo might have to visit the apartment to teach him again. Maybe there will be time for another episode of The Office, too.

For now, though, Remi is absolutely correct. HineyDangler and his cronies all but swarm the two of them; Ronin receives a strong lecture about checking in more regularly (snooze) and Remi is thoroughly decontaminated using his old friends, the hoses, before being carted away for his evening of medications and experimentation. (The LITE version though, of course, because Grimm has been told off).

[say]"Nah, I think I will be imagining your sex demigoddess instead."[/say] Remi counters with a grin, though they both knew that it would be Ronin the wendigo thought about, if only because of how very small his world was.

[say]"Do not even joke about that. I spent basically all the money I had in this world on you, and you are going to joke?"[/say] Sounding believably upset, Remi rolls his eyes and were they not already being watched by several interns, the wendigo might have fabricated a reason to hug the other man goodbye. As it was, their goodbye was as they'd both expected and somehow that made it all the worse.

The remainder of the night passed without incident, though after his decontamination he'd noticed that the smell of the hunter had been stripped from his skin and the clothes he'd come in with had been replaced by boring scrubs. Pacing around his cell for gods knew how long, the wendigo spent his time imagining scenarios wherein Ronin might be able to break his pact with Morgan. Little did he know that just thinking about the witch was dangerous, but honestly, what in his life wasn't these days?

As the light above his cell flashed several times and the door gave a warning hssssssssss as it was activated, Remi turned toward it somewhat skeptically. Having already seen Isla for an exam, he could only assume that it was someone else coming to bother him.

It is someone else coming to bother him, though Ronin has a rather cheerful smile on his face as he steps through the doors, flanked by a couple of interns holding what he's been told is the extra speshul Remi potion. [say]"I swear I can see a trench in the floor of this room, where you pace around,"[/say] the hunter drawls, through the warmth in his expression gives him away. [say]"Hey,"[/say] he adds.

[say]"Isla invited me down - she said she wanted to try this serum she's been working on, but apparently I'm part of the experiment now as well. I can be trusted with everything but needles - go figure - so I can't give you the injection. But I'm here for fifteen minutes of Heaven."[/say] Unable not to laugh about it, Ronin does nod up at the windows overhead. The two-way glass blinks and becomes clear for a moment, revealing Isla with her files and notes and laptop. She gives them a dorky thumbs-up, too.

Having mentally prepared himself for someone unlikeable to come into the door, Ronin will be treated to a glaring and posturing wendigo as he enters. Straightening instantly, Remi regards the hunter with a quizzical expression that chased away the animosity previously on his face. [say]"Hey?"[/say] He answers back, looking at the interns, then back at Ronin.

[say]"Oh."[/say] Understanding dawns on Remi slowly, but as it does, he looks more and more unsure, if only because having recently told Ronin just how poorly this all had gone, he can't imagine the hunter's presence will be anything but embarrassing.

[say]"Fifteen?"[/say] Unable not to laugh at that, the wendigo folds his arms across his chest and grins crookedly. [say]"For us it used to only be seven minutes in heaven, probably because that rhymed. But fifteen? No wonder you can see the demigoddess and I can't."[/say] Following Ronin's glance and seeing Isla, Remi feels the sudden urge to disappear under his bed. Instead, he offers her a quick wave before giving Ronin a look which was impossible to read, if only because it comprised so many thoughts at once.

Later, Ronin will take Remi aside and ask if that was really his most intimidating expression, because he's sure he's seen the wendigo look scarier in the time they've been partners. For now, though, there's heys to be had and ohs to be shared, and only as some incredibly nervous interns approach the wendigo to deliver his shot of humanity does the hunter offer his friend a gentle smile.

[say]"I've been told that it should be a little more gentle on you this time, but I won't be offended if you need to excuse yourself."[/say] To vomit or for other reasons. [say]"See, now you're starting to understand. It's fine, we'll get you to fifteen and you can see her in the apocathery too,"[/say] he decides, glancing to the interns as if to ask Remi if he's happy for them to go ahead.

[say]"Mostly, Isla said she's interested in what happens when you go back to wendigo-land,"[/say] he says. [say]"Apparently you don't want to murder me as much as other people, so... thanks, I think."[/say]

Looking doubtfully at the interns as if debating whether or not it was worth screaming BOOO and scaring them shitless (which no doubt would result in Remi being GrOuNdeD), the wendigo holds out his arm and stands rather docilely as he's stabbed injected.

Assuming he had a few minutes as he did before, Remi makes his way toward his bed so that his legs might not slip out from beneath him. [say]"Fuck you."[/say] The wendigo sings cheerfully, before sitting down and looking like he was at the top of a rollercoaster as he waited for the serum to hit.

[say]"Oh is that so? Does she want to know if I get into my feelings again, or-"[/say] Pausing and only just remembering that Isla could likely hear everything he was saying, Remi loudly clears his throat. [say]"You were the one who pointed it out."[/say] He says instead with a shrug. [say]"Maybe I'm like one of those scent dogs that can detect can-"[/say] The words are cut off by a sudden clenching of Remi's teeth, and though his fingers are suddenly white-knuckled on the bedframe, there's no sound of groaning metal to accompany it.

[say]"Fffffff-"[/say] The word barely makes it past his lips before the wendigo is sipping in short gasps of air as sweat breaks out on his forehead.

Cheerfully standing by to be fuck youd while Remi accepts his ritual stabbing, Ronin waggles his fingers in a wave to watch the interns skedaddle out of the room as quick as their squeaky shoes will carry them. [say]"I might have pointed it out, but I didn't tell anyone else, did I?"[/say] Raising his eyebrows to Remi as if to point out that this was all his fault, the hunter goes to grab the wendigo's desk chair to sit down on. (Joining him on the bed feels a bit too teenage girl).

He's about to snark that he'd rather not know if he's got cancer when the sudden reaction from the wendigo has Ronin right back on his feet. [say]"Are you okay?"[/say] he asks, blue eyes flicking up towards the windows instantly as if to tell Isla that something is clearly wrong. [say]"How can I help? Is there an alarm on this room or...?"[/say] Clearly no one has warned Ronin that Remi does not, in fact, transform into a human a-la Sailor Moon.

[say]"Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnn."[/say] The wendigo grunts, wanting to sass his partner but finding his teeth clenched together against the bile threatening to rise in the back of his throat. [say]"Please, just..."[/say] Feel hot and clammy at the same time, Remi inhales a lungful of air as if it was something he might get his teeth around. [say]"..shut the fuck up."[/say] The wendigo begs, feeling as though there was a marching band crashing through his skull, none of whom were playing the right notes.

Unlike last time though, the transition passes almost instantly, and though for a few seconds, the wendigo would have sworn he was going to die, suddenly he found that he was fine. Blinking at his knees and waiting for a second wave to hit, when it doesn't, Remi glances up at Ronin with one eye partially closed. Heaving a sigh of relief, the wendigo holds a thumbs-up toward the window where Isla no doubt had a stopwatch going.

[say]"Fuuuckkk."[/say] He moans, straightening and running his fingers through his hair, before peering intently at Ronin with eyes suddenly bright and sea-glass green. [say]"Sorry. So far that bit has not been fun."[/say] Remi explains with an apologetic shrug.

Finding himself frozen halfway between the doorway and Remi's bed, if the wendigo still had the senses for it, he'd absolutely hear the way Ronin's heart is hammering out of his chest. Shut the fuck up can translate to I'm concentrating all the way through to don't mind me while I die, so he hopes his partner will understand his continued caution. Still, it's suddenly over just as quickly as it began, and Ronin straightens up slowly to pad back to the chair.

[say]"Are you... you're-- whoa."[/say] Cut off by himself this time, Ronin plops down onto the desk chair and tilts his head at the human version of Remi suddenly gazing up at him. [say]"Your eyes are really green,"[/say] he says, obviously without thinking, and he's looking very obviously at the rest of the other man before catching himself. [say]"Fuck, sorry. I don't mean to stare. I... so you're just... human, now?"[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 07-27-2023

[say]'Uhm..'[/say] Tilting his head ever so slightly to the side and finding himself instantly distracted by just how smooth Ronin looked to him now that his vision wasn't heightened, the wendigo raised a brow and gave his head a final little shake. [say]"..what?"[/say] Given he hadn't looked into a mirror last time he'd done this test with Isla, having been in too much of a rush to leave his bathroom lest she get the wrong idea, it was with a rather blank expression that the wendigo regarded his partner before obnoxiously fluttering his eyelashes at the hunter.

As for being human?

Pulling in a breath, and then another and another as if the act of breathing once suddenly reminded Remi that it was something he needed to continuously do, the wendigo gives a rough little shrug. Looking down into his hands and flexing them once before waggling his fingers, he looks back to Ronin with a grin. [say]"I think so. If you ever wanted to beat me in arm wrestling, now is your chance."[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 07-27-2023

[say]"It's nothing, don't worry,"[/say] Ronin says, happy to cover up his random compliments given the chance, and he clears his throat instead as Remi tests out the mechanics of breathing. Only at the sight of the other man's grin does he truly relax, the hunter letting out a slow whistle. [say]"That's a hell of a breakthrough,"[/say] he murmurs. [say]"And, well, it's a bit early to arm wrestle, but..."[/say]

He glances over his shoulder where a small bag has been deposited just inside the door by one of the interns, having been checked and decontaminated and all the rest of it. Crossing the room to fetch it, Ronin draws out a small coffee flask. [say]"I did try to brew coffee the same way you did. It doesn't taste quite as good, but it's better than all my other attempts. If you want to try some."[/say]