Court of the Fallen
cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: cut our teeth and make our bones right here (/showthread.php?tid=7764)

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 08-01-2023

[say]'Well seeing as you never shut up about it, I'm bound to remember something.'[/say] Remi snarks back, before flailing an arm out to grab onto Ronin's arm to keep himself from tumbling over entirely. [say]"This is how you are going to treat me, on my first real outing?"[/say] He huffs, brushing off his jacket haughtily as if he hadn't just done precisely the same thing to the hunter.

[say]"I mean...I can tell you that poison can't kill me. Besides, I'm not sure they would risk it."[/say] He mumbles confidently. [say]"Or at least, Isla wouldn't."[/say] There's a colour to the way Remi says her name, something perfectly golden and familiar; not that he noticed.

Narrowing his green eyes suspiciously at Ronin walks backward ([say]"showoff"[/say] he mutters, given his own poor coordination just now), Remi raises his eyebrows thoughtfully and nods. [say]"You are just saying that because you don't want Isla upset at you for bringing me home drunk."[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 08-01-2023

[say]"I'm so sorry - from now on I'll just let you walk straight into fae traps and make terrible decisions."[/say] Ronin huffs right back at Remi, though he doesn't begrudge the other man the need to hold on to his arm. He does, however, notice the sweet cadence that wraps itself around Isla's name, and there is no way Ronin is going to take that without running with it.

[say]"I see what it is,"[/say] he croons to the other man, expertly swerving out of the way of someone walking in the other direction. [say]"You've been playing nurse-and-patient with the good Doctor Lockwood, haven't you?"[/say] The wide grin on his face says he'll believe it even if it's not true. [say]"Well now we have to have a few drinks, so I can return you to her full of Dutch courage."[/say]

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 08-01-2023

[say]"Well, considering I have made it this far in life without walking into a single fae trap or making a single bad decision-"[/say] Pausing to beam at the other man, the wendigo grins. [say]"-clearly I have been doing just fine."[/say]

Remi's mouth drops open before he can help it, though given the way Ronin so succinctly hit the nail on the head, it's a wonder he didn't trip over his own feet. Blushing in earnest before looking down at his watch as if it might suddenly be time to go home, the wendigo clears his throat noisily before raising a boyishly indignant stare. [say]"A gentleman never kisses and tells, but I wouldn't expect you to know that."[/say] He adds, rolling each sound as if to make himself sound more distinguished.

[say]"Dutch courage? At home we call it fortuna liquida...ermm.."[/say] Closing one eye to reach for the translation, Remi lands upon: [say]"Liquid Luck."[/say] Which he'd very much need if he was going to turn playing nurse-and-patient with Isla into anything more.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Ronin - 08-02-2023

[say]"Ah, my mistake. Of course you have. I'll keep my nonsense to myself nonetheless, to save your poor ears,"[/say] Ronin drawls, all sass and Irish charm, and he finally slows his steps to walk with Remi again and listen to the lies, delusions or (shock horror) truth he comes out with. And, unexpectedly - which makes Ronin convinced it's the truth - the wendigo decides to avoid the subject altogether.

[say]"My, my,"[/say] he all but sings as they turn down the street towards the Sunset. [say]"I know I'm not a gentleman, but I do wonder how you've got a clue about it."[/say] As for the Dutchliquid Luckcourage, what Ronin of course zeroes in on is that Remi hasn't denied that he'll need it. And so, like any good wingman, he makes an internal promise to deliver the wendigo back to Isla as socially lubricated as possible.

[say]"Well, then. What will you be drinking to make you feel so lucky?"[/say] he wants to know.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 08-02-2023

[say]"If you wouldn't mind."[/say] Remi said with a gracious smile as if Ronin really was saving him the trouble.

Tutting under his breath, the wendigo scowls at his partner and makes a show of adjusting a bowtie and suit jacket that he absolutely isn't wearing. [say]"That is for me to know, and you to find out."[/say] He replies stuffily, chin raised like they're heading into a ball instead of some seedy bar/strip joint.

Conveniently as they enter the bar this time, the wendigo isn't assaulted by the sounds and smells quite the way he was last time. Able to breathe normally, he glances around waiting for his vision to clear and sharpen in the low lighting before realizing that it wasn't going to. Huhing to himself, he follows alongside Ronin, no longer needing the other man to guide him (though if he feels a phantom hand on his back, so be it).

[say]"Err...I don't suppose the wine is any good here?"[/say]

[say]"Oh, I get to find out? You're so generous,"[/say] Ronin says, pretending to swoon into the Sunset and heading straight for the bar. Remi's senses might not catch it given that he's human this time, but the hunter does keep a close eye on his friend even if he keeps his hands to himself, not particularly wanting to test the serum in earnest in the very same place where blood was punched into Remi's mouth.

Luckily it's the wrong time of day for bar fights (even the strippers are moving lazily on their poles), and they reach the counter without incident. [say]"Oh gods no,"[/say] he says with a firm shake of his head. [say]"Not unless you enjoy drinking piss. Get something strong enough to coat the glass - and keep the glass when you get a refill,"[/say] he suggests. Naturally, he orders a whiskey as before, but this time he actually intends to drink it.

[say]"Some people get mad or sad when they drink, whereas I just get more gentlemanly."[/say] Remi sings in response; whether or not this is true Ronin really will find out.

Pulling a face, the pair suddenly seem very Aziraphale and Crowley for all of Remi's naivety and blonde hair and Ronin's vast dark knowledge and blue eyes, the wendigo glances behind the bar with a rather queasy look. [say]"Er...same?"[/say] He mutters to the bartender who gives Remi a look but pours him a whiskey just the same. Looking doubtfully into the glass, Remi raises it to his nose to take a delicate sniff, before immediately recoiling.

[say]"Ugh. It smells like paint thinner."[/say] He complains theatrically. [say]"And that's without my normal nose."[/say]

More gay, is what Ronin wants to retort, given the wendigo's reaction to the alcohol so far - and he hasn't even drank any yet. [say]"Shoot it back and quit complaining - it'll keep your bones warm."[/say] He grins, doing just that with his own drink (though not without a practiced wince, because it really is like paint thinner) and promptly ordering another to nurse for a bit.

[say]"You know,"[/say] he says conversationally, [say]"there are still a few liquor stores up top that haven't been touched since things went to shit. They're all in the off-limits part of the topside. Dangerous as fuck out there, but you might just find that wine you're looking for if we went."[/say] Raising his eyebrows and paying for their drinks, Ronin murmurs his thanks and grabs his second whiskey so they can go and sit at a table.

With his expression growing only more doubtful, the wendigo turns clear green eyes down to the muddy liquid and takes a breath. [say]"Alla nostra."[/say] He murmurs, before mirroring Ronin's movements with far less grace than the other man. The whiskey felt not like fire down his throat but of poorly cut fingernails scraping their way down toward his belly. Exhaling before having to immediately try and gag in another breath, Remi looked up at Ronin with watery eyes and a rather pathetic expression of help me or perhaps why do you hate me.

[say]"I thought I ordered the one that wasn't horse piss."[/say] He gulped, slamming his glass down onto the bar. [say]"I have risked my life for far less and would risk far more for a good bottle of red right now."[/say] Remi complains, before following Ronin to a table and slumping down. Glancing around and finding little in the bar worth looking at - certainly the noon strippers were not putting in much effort just now, not that Remi blamed them - he eventually looks back to Ronin. [say]"With the whiskey you have at home, why would you ever want to come here?"[/say]

[say]"Would you believe me if I told you that you did?"[/say] Ronin laughs, clapping Remi on the shoulder as they head to a table and sit down together. [say]"And that's good to know, because I might just have figured out where one of those liquor stores is,"[/say] he adds, seeming equal parts smug and excited about it.

And as for his whiskey at home, Ronin rolls his eyes. [say]"I told you that was for special occasions. If I drank all of the good whiskey right away there would only be horse piss left,"[/say] he points out. [say]"Besides which, how do you know that the stuff I have at home is even any good?"[/say] Taking a sip from his glass this time, he settles back in his seat and relaxes.

[say]"Besides,"[/say] he adds in a slightly softer voice, [say]"sometimes it's nice not to stare at the same four walls, right?"[/say]

[say]"Oh no, a monster in that area? Gods, what are the chances, eh?"[/say] Remi sputters as the air in his lungs is summarily dismissed by the clap on the back.

[say]"I...well.."[/say] Frowning across the table as if Ronin had just transformed himself into a fae full of trickery and fuckery right before his eyes, the wendigo can only stare, defeated and impressed. [say]"I suppose I just assumed that horse piss was not for special occasions, but...I mean, my first outing and you did bring me here, so either this is not a special occasion, or this is really as good as it gets."[/say] You see Ronin? Remi can be clever too.

Was he being clever?
Don't answer that.

Already feeling his nose begin to grow vaguely numb thanks to the alcohol swimming cheerfully through his veins, the wendigo fixes the hunter with an affectionate smile. [say]"Vai a farti fottere."[/say] The insult rolled off of Remi's tongue with practiced ease and gods if he thought he had the strength to really make a go of it, he'd have kicked Ronin under the table.

[say]"Unfortunately there are a lot of monsters - the place is overrun. But if I can think of something absolutely worth getting from the same area... well. We'd be silly not to, right?"[/say] He winks. Only for Remi to be the one to pull the fae fuckery card with his next trick. Blue eyes growing sharp as if realising he's potentially dismissing the wendigo's few hours of humanity, the hunter clears his throat and promptly rises to his feet.

[say]"Get to fuck with you."[/say] He smiles, gesturing for Remi to hurry up. [say]"Come on, then."[/say] But just for that, they're going to finish his Special Occasion Whiskey. [say]"Yeah, yeah. Viper farty foxes to you, too."[/say] Gracing his friend with a shit-eating smile, he hurries on out of the Sunset and back towards the complex, as if they're wasting precious time. (They are).

[say]'Well, and if we are effiscient surely no one needs to know...?'[/say] Very nearly does Remi suggest that they go now, before the world swims out of vision for a moment and he's reminded how pathetically human he is just now. He'd probably not even be able to climb the ladder to get topside with his strength as it presently was.

[say]"Hey, wh-"[/say] About to say that he was only joking and that really he didn't mind being here at the Sunset, it's the hunter's crooked smile that has his shoulders relaxing. Whiskey-soaked butterflies shift in his stomach as he rises to his feet, already slightly unsteady.

[say]"Oh, is that Gaelic? Beautifully spoken."[/say] The wendigo wonders innocently, beaming at the hunter before trying to keep pace as Ronin practices for his debut in Olympic Speed Walking. [say]"Hey, slow down."[/say] Remi calls, sounding more bubbly than he means to. [say]"I'm still getting used to this whole not being in the body of a super hero, thing."[/say]

Luckily for the both of them, Ronin has been pathetically human for a lot longer than Remi as of late, so he's more capable of holding his shitty liquor. Otherwise gods, maybe they would have gone now, and all of Isla's hard work would be ruined by two drunk idiots trying to fight monsters.

And only joking or not, Remi will find himself corralled along and back towards the complex before the hunter figures they've wasted more than thirty minutes of the wendigo's human-time; Ronin even drops back with a warm laugh to ferry the other man along at a pace he prefers. [say]"If that was Gaelic, then superhero must be Italian for wendigo,"[/say] he counters with a flash of teeth.

Regardless of the warm, boozy blanket beginning to drape over everything, Ronin is true to his word at least, and they're very soon at his front door. [say]"You know, we always seem to end up here,"[/say] he informs the other man with a smirk as he unlocks everything.