Court of the Fallen
cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Character Resources (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Forum: Not-Canon (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: cut our teeth and make our bones right here (/showthread.php?tid=7764)

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Isla - 08-25-2023

[say]"Yes, you know... freaking out,"[/say] Isla clarifies with a smile that suggests it's a very common expression, at least for her. [say]"And honestly, I can't blame you. Especially after two days of Grimm, a nap is the very least you deserved."[/say] If their relationship was a little more like that which Remi has with Ronin, the doctor might have even mentioned a visit to a brothel or something similar.

Maybe she'd have even volunteered herself.

Ahem. Anyway.

[say]"I'm sure we can have a lovely time even without a date outfit and flowers,"[/say] Isla agrees with a nod that's as serious as it is understanding. [say]"She'll be none the wiser, I promise. And with any luck, there's very little left for her to test."[/say] Not that she puts it past Grimm to be able to make up experiments to fill the time.

RE: cut our teeth and make our bones right here - Remi - 08-25-2023

[say]"Is that because cats normally freak out when having kittens, or simply...that if a person had kittens it would..make? them freak out?"[/say] Looking far more perplexed than the situation called for if only to tease Isla, the wendigo grins and nods before the situation turns slightly (read: a good deal) more serious.

[say]'Don't jynx it."[/say] Remi says with a huff, meaning both having a lovely time sans date prep as much as Grimm having nothing more to test. [say]"You will no doubt look as beautiful as you do without a date outfit, however I think I will be at a disadvantage showing up empty handed."[/say] He mutters with a rather leading shrug; if Isla had thought that what Remi had been doing was flirting either, she'll be in for quite the surprise when she sees what Remi can do when he properly pours on the charm.

I'm Date-Mike. Nice to meet me.

[say]"On a more scientific note,"[/say] Remi segues, clearing his throat. [say]"Having you heard really has helped with coming down from the serum."[/say]

[say]"Something like that."[/say] Isla grins, more than happy to delve into the history of idioms (as long as Remi is happy to provide some Italian ones in return) on their date. Or on their definitely-not-a-date, as far as Grimm is concerned. Deciding not to mention it further - and thus risk jinxing it - Isla instead does her best to play it cool even with flushed cheeks. [say]"I don't think anyone who is able to hear my pulse is at a disadvantage,"[/say] she points out.

[say]"Just be in one piece when it's time for us to go, and I'll be more than happy,"[/say] she adds, her tone playful because, lol, as if Remi would have a choice depending on Grimm's experiments. Her expression softens, then, scientific note or not, and Isla offers him a warm smile. [say]"I'm glad. I'm still working on something to see if the transition between states can be less harsh, but I'll still be here even if I figure it out."[/say]

Indeed, Italians have some wonderful ones, like drowning in a glass of water, or in the mouth of the wolf. Perhaps if they hit a conversational lull on their date they can swap. Snorting under his breath, the wendigo gives his head a quick shake. [say]"I more meant that it is not often I show up to a date empty handed."[/say] He clarifies. [say]"And I suppose if Grimm gets any ideas, we could always say that you are just looking to monitor me in a new setting and that Ronin's note-taking cannot be trusted."[/say] Technically, all that was true. That Remi and Isla might coincidentally enjoy one another's company was entirely superfluous to the science being done.

[say]"Tch-"[/say] Remi clicks, stiffening both for a bit of drama but also as a genuine reaction. [say]"Do not give her ideas, or she will start cutting off limbs to see if I can heal them back."[/say] For what it as worth, he couldn't. [say]"Physically this was much better."[/say] He offers, notably leaving out that it was still the psychological transition that was the hardest to endure, but then, as he'd already mentioned with Ronin, Remi wasn't quite sure Isla was up to the task of dealing with a needy wendigo.

[say]"Well, if it makes you feel any better, you won't find very many flowers down here in the undertown,"[/say] Isla says, though she'd be lying if she said she didn't find Remi's concern over doing things properly to be very sweet. [say]"And whether she gets any ideas or not, this is still my project and she'll have to accept whatever excuse I give her."[/say] Two can play at the I need Remi for my research game. And Ronin's note-taking is non-existent shit, too.

Wrinkling her nose, it's on that bittersweet note that Isla checks the IV and leans forward to remove it now that it's empty. [say]"I'm glad at least there are some improvements,"[/say] she murmurs, rising to her feet. [say]"I need to go and discipline some interns now for handling you so roughly when you got back. But... well. I'll see you tomorrow, won't I?"[/say] She smiles.

[say]"I have noticed that."[/say] The wendigo says with a stiff nod. [say]"I can make them out of silk or paper, though."[/say] He adds thoughtfully, lifting his eyes for just a moment a touch smugly before looking back down at the line of the IV.

As the needle is removed, the wendigo looks down at the small circle of red on his arm before it seals itself closed in seconds. Sighing a touch at that, he glances up both surprised and not that their time together has come to an end. Not able to feel melancholy now, the wendigo just nods.

[say]"I hope so."[/say] He agrees, matching her smile and inwardly guarding himself against the thoughts he knows will accumulate in his mind during the remainder of the day before Grimm sends for him in the morning.

Isla hopes so too. And it's hope rather than anything else that stops her from monitoring Remi too closely overnight and into the next morning, the doctor not wanting to raise any sort of suspicion from Grimm. Not only that, she imagines that the wendigo won't want either of their immediate memories of each other to be while he's mid-torture, especially if they're supposed to be going out. (A thought that causes a strange flop in her stomach that she doesn't try to put a name towards).

Regardless, it's around lunchtime when the interns - all grown up, look at 'em go - administer a four hour dose of Remi's serum, and Isla approaches the door to his room only a few moments later. She's not in a date outfit, as promised, though if her white coat is covering a sweater dress that's a little less sciency than usual, so be it. Punching in the code, the door hisses open, and Isla peers in to find Remi.

Better that only one of them have memories of torture, it's true.

Either healed already or injured in ways that don't leave marks on his skin, Remi is sitting on the edge of his bed with his hands folded in his lap when Isla peers into the room. Thanks to the serum, unlike normal, Remi's heart is a runaway thing in his chest to the point where he finds that he needs to take a few deep breaths to keep himself steady, but as the door hisses open the wendigo hiccups in a breath that he nearly chokes on.

Turning, rosy-cheeked and eyes a bright green, the wendigo rises immediately. There's something in his hand that he's trying to hide, and it's only once he's near enough to Isla that their bodies block the camera's eyeline, that he opens his palm.

Torn from the pages of The Wind in the Willows, Remi has made Isla a small origami rose. [say]"It is nice to see you."[/say] He says softly in a voice sudden infused with uncharacteristic warmth and personality.

Relieved, more than anything, to see Remi not missing limbs or scarred or limping, Isla is halfway through sighing out the tension that's been lingering in her shoulders when butterflies erupt into her throat instead. Blinking down at the small, perfect rose, she has to bite at the inside of her cheek to stop her smile from running away with itself. [say]"It's beautiful,"[/say] she tells him, glancing up into eyes that seem so green that it feels impossible that they were ever golden at all.

[say]"I wish I had anything as lovely for you. Unfortunately, I only have this."[/say] Reaching into her pocket after accepting the rose, Isla produces a small lanyard with a pass attached to it. [say]"It's just in case anyone hassles you, if we get separated. You are officially signed out for the next four hours with me."[/say] A more wicked person would have said you're mine, but as Remi well knows, Isla is anything but.

[say]"I need to drop a few things back at my place first, if you don't mind a quick detour?"[/say]

[say]"You are far more lovely than a cleverly folded bit of paper."[/say] The wendigo interrupts, one cheek dimpling with the crookedness of his smile. Looking down at the lanyard and chuckling, Remi accepts it with a nod. [say]"Well, I do not plan on leaving your side, but thank you just the same."[/say] Tucking it into a pocket rather than looping it around his neck lest this outing feel more like a field trip than a date, the wendigo is completely unable to help the flush to his cheeks as Isla mentions her quick detour.

Given how quickly things had amped up in virtue of being in Ronin's apartment, the wendigo can do little about where his mind goes, and so he's forced to clear his throat and nod wordlessly so that the boyish tremor of his voice doesn't give him away.

Following Isla out and doing his best to seem like a docile research subject rather than a man suddenly bursting at the seams with joy and excitement, it's only once they've passed the security post that Remi moves to walk at Isla's side. [say]'Well, so far so good.'[/say]

[say]"And you are quite the flatterer, Remi,"[/say] Isla teases him in return, though she's absolutely not complaining about it. He tucks away the lanyard and she turns to lead them away from the stark white walls and cameras. There's another detour prior to the security post, but the wendigo will have at least seen this before, if never having been inside.

Isla's office is as practical and minimalist as expected, the doctor shedding her labcoat and shrugging into a red jacket that's much more civilian, grabbing her purse and a stack of files (some light reading, hence needing to go to her apartment) before they're able to get on their way properly. [say]"Mm, no alarms and nobody has burst into flames,"[/say] she agrees with a smile.

Rather than out of the complex and back in - as Remi would have experienced with Ronin - instead Isla leads them through a pair of double doors deeper into this wing, swiping a keycard and heading down a small corridor where they can call an elevator. [say]"Was there anywhere in particular you wanted to go?"[/say] she asks. [say]"I have a few places in mind, but I wasn't sure what Ronin had shown you so far."[/say]

[say]"You mean that you don't think you're more lovely than a bit of paper?"[/say] Remi wonders, eyebrows raised and lips pulled down in a disbelieving but playful frown.

Almost wishing for his keen eyesight that he might take in all the details of Isla's office in the few seconds they spend within, Remi drinks in as much as he can before stepping back from the doorway and resuming his shadowing of the doctor down the corridors. Frowning as they veer away from the exit he normally takes with Ronin, the wendigo experiences a brief flash of anxiety as he wonders if this isn't all some cleverly orchestrated trap. Isla is, after all, not just more lovely than a bit of paper, but several leagues above him in terms of desirability.

[say]'Ahm...'[/say] Looking at the elevator a touch nervously as if they might step in and descend down into some super duper secret section of the ward where the proper monsters were kept, Remi forces a smile and shakes his head. [say]"I have seen exactly the sorts of places you would expect Ronin to show me."[/say] A titty-bar, the market, and his bed.

[say]"I don't suppose there are...rivers or ponds or anything like that down here?"[/say] Remi wonders, very much missing the ocean but doubting if the undercity had bothered with the resources needed to maintain anything like an inland lake or sea.

[say]"I didn't say that,"[/say] Isla counters rather smoothly. [say]"But for what it's worth, the bit of paper was very lovely."[/say] Glancing to the elevator as it pings and they can step inside, the doctor waits for Remi to join her - oblivious to his anxiety, naturally - and instead presses a button to take them up. It's near the top of the complex, in fact, and as they rumble towards the floor, things feel quieter, even if they probably aren't.

[say]"I won't ask."[/say] She grins, knowing just as well the sorts of places Ronin might have taken his newly-human friend. And there's no ponds or rivers, no, but the wendigo's remark does have something of an idea bolting through Isla's mind, and as they step out into a corridor that feels miles away from the hunters side of the complex, she turns back to him. [say]"I think I know a place,"[/say] she says. [say]"But let me surprise you?"[/say]

Hurrying down said corridor, Isla pauses outside a door sans horseshoe, silver or otherwise, swiftly unlocking it and stepping inside. [say]"Come in,"[/say] she invites Remi. [say]"I just need to put these files down and change into some better shoes."[/say]

The doctor's apartment is as close to topside normality as one can get. Void of the clutter and fae bullshit of Ronin's space, it smells faintly of vanilla and is warm, clean and welcoming, if not looming with books tucked into all sorts of unexpected places.

[say]'D...do you live here?'[/say] Remi wonders a touch ignorantly. Of course, it made perfect sense for the medical staff to stay on the premises, but the wendigo had always had the sense of Isla leaving, when she went home. Perhaps that was just wishful thinking on his part, that at least one of them got to escape when the day came to an end.

[say]"Probably best you don't."[/say] Remi agrees with a slanted smile. And it really was, for so very many reasons. Stepping into the hallway and looking down a corridor that was neither dingy nor dimly lit, Remi pulls in a breath before nodding slowly. [say]"I am very easily surprised these days"[/say] He murmurs distractedly, before refocusing his attention on Isla, his lips melting almost immediately into a smile.

Though stepping into Isla's apartment feels entirely inappropriate, it doesn't stop Remi from doing just that. Though he loiters just inside the door so as not to soil the cleanliness of the space with his mere presence, the wendigo glances around and does what anyone would do on a first date: he visually snoops as much as he's able. Drinking in the books, the warm but muted colours, the dull scent of something that makes his mouth water, Remi finds his fingers have begun to fidget rather restlessly, against which he laces them together. [say]"No pets?"[/say]