Court of the Fallen
[SE] ignis aurum probat - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [SE] ignis aurum probat (/showthread.php?tid=8191)

Pages: 1 2 3

[SE] ignis aurum probat - Fox - 05-01-2023

He's never been to the Climb.

And he knows, he knows - for an Ancient, especially, this sounds ridiculous. But Fox had found Dygra in a shrine he's half certain shouldn't exist at all, deep beneath a lake in the Hollowed Grounds. And so he's never needed to visit this place, but after meeting a unicorn wrangler in King's End... well. It's got him thinking.

The journey hasn't been a short one, and he's crossed through countless hamlets and rode on ships that he's quite convinced should stay in the water, but don't. Enough of that, though - he's here, and he's found himself spilled out underground somewhere, in a cavern that, by all accounts, should be hot and oppressive as hell.

It isn't, though. Fox actually finds it kind of pleasant, and his pace is best described as an amble as he meanders through the ghoulishly lit tunnels, fingers brushing against the stone walls as he goes.

RE: [SE] ignis aurum probat - Deimos - 05-01-2023

The Sword was not an individual to wander without purpose – whether it was a liberation of movement and motion, political nuances, amusements, training exercises, or guild business. Today was the latter, flying over with Belial, a bag in his talons, and a faint notion of other flora and fauna to sketch and outline amidst the journals hastened by other monster hunters.

Shifting and landing, conducting some routes to memory from ventures with Kiada and other moments scattered amidst the embedded lands, he immediately began pulling his hair back off his neck, into some makeshift bun, from the blast of heat surrounding and pervading. While he would never be remiss of fire, it was still an entirely different climate from Halo, and would take more than a few moments to settle into.

Taking out the notes from the journals, he turned to a specific page and gestured silently to Belial, who soared off and on ahead amidst the Burrows. Striving not to roll his eyes at the peryton’s antics, his long strides persisted and pursued, until he could hear the residual hoot and holler of the beast.

Which meant he’d found something.

Turned out it was a person along the turn of a cavern’s midst, at which Belial gave a mighty bellowing screech in some foolish greeting – and Deimos inwardly grimaced. [say]“Apologies,”[/say] he offered in a deep rumble thereafter, glaring at the back of the companion’s head.

RE: [SE] ignis aurum probat - Fox - 05-02-2023

Fox wishes he could say that he was suave and cool in the face of a creature suddenly bellowing in his face. Gods he really does wish he could. Alas, even as a seasoned hunter, he'd been quite enjoying his ramble through the tunnels, and alert is not a word best associated with him in the current moment. So while he does skitter back into something of a defensive posture, his fists raised, it looks nothing short of silly in the face of Deimos and Belial. (Not to mention at least two seconds too late).

[say]"Oh, you're fine,"[/say] he blurts, straightening up and quickly raking his hands back through his hair to disguise the small tremor in them. [say]"I didn't need those nerves anyway. Weren't doing me any good."[/say] Huffing out a long breath that puffs out his cheeks and stuffing his hands in his pockets this time, he finally looks at the man and the monster flying stag... other thing in earnest.

[say]"Ah, you aren't an Ancient,"[/say] he says, somewhat foolishly. First impressions are hard, man.

RE: [SE] ignis aurum probat - Deimos - 05-02-2023

Belial had enough self-awareness to realize the Sword meant the warnings commanding and demanding through the bond. He ceased the screeching immediately, and scurried back to Deimos’ side, settling at the tall man’s legs and not budging an inch. The damage had already been done though, based on the stranger’s reactions, in between the dry humor, the noticeable tremors, and the long breaths. While the Warden’s features remained stoic, the inward scowl grew ever broader. The peryton noticeably glanced at the floor, bordering on the pretense of guilt and shame.

The other statement though caused some break in the tension and reticence, his head tilting vaguely, studying the outset of horns on the man’s head, immediately reminded of Kiada, the one who’d been caught in a trap, and Edmund; uncertain if he should be wary, or simply scrutinizing. Choosing the latter, he shook his cranium. [say]“Hybrid.”[/say] Holding out his hand in some token manners, he supplied his name as well. [say]“I am Deimos.”[/say]

RE: [SE] ignis aurum probat - Fox - 05-03-2023

Maybe Fox should have felt relieved to see the peryton visibly shrink in the presence of its master, but given how good a job it had done at intimidating the fuck out of him, it only makes the man before him seem even more imposing. Slowly straightening up and forcing letting his shoulders relax, the hunter tries for casual, which somehow seems even more out of place in the dimly lit tunnels.

[say]"Ah,"[/say] he says helpfully, taking a hand out of his pocket to reach out and shake the other man's hand. [say]"I'm Fox. Sorry for being skittish - this is actually my first time up in the Climb. I wasn't expecting to run into..."[/say] He nods at the peryton, at least managing something of a smile this time. [say]"It'd make a good guard..."[/say] Instinctively he wants to say dog even though the creature is anything but.

RE: [SE] ignis aurum probat - Deimos - 05-03-2023

There were worse things out there besides Belial, but given the nature of the exchange, Deimos kept that to himself. For now. The notions of the Ancient not being within the Climb before struck a curious note in the Sword; mostly because he presumed all of them ventured there, a far more common accord with the pressing heat and penchant for fire. Perhaps he utilized Torchline’s beaches instead. [say]“A peryton,”[/say] he explained in his brief accord, head tilting vaguely. Though Belial’s proficiency in guardianship wasn’t the foundational level – he’d been working quite hard on being a noteworthy spy.

It would help if he wasn’t so loud.

Maybe that would come with age and time. Besides, there were other inquiries to muster. Advancing along, long strides intending to sweep around the next interval of the cave, his voice rumbled and echoed along the vast halls. [say]“Are you looking for some part in particular?” [/say]

RE: [SE] ignis aurum probat - Fox - 05-04-2023

[say]"Peryton. Yeah,"[/say] Fox confirms with a nod that suggests he knows exactly what the other man means (he doesn't) and that he's heard of a peryton and now instantly knows what associations to make with one (he hasn't). They pass him by, and if he'd had any particular destination in mind they probably would have gone their separate ways and that would be that. As it stands, though, Deimos continues the conversation and Fox finds himself drifting in his wake.

[say]"Not exactly,"[/say] he admits. [say]"I've heard a few things about the place - landmarks and so on. I was wondering if I would run into any other Ancients. I figured they might know more."[/say] But in fairness, Deimos seems knowledgable enough about where he's going despite being a self-confessed hybrid. (And the notions of that will hit him again later, eventually).

[say]"How about you? Are you headed somewhere specific?"[/say] Surely he doesn't live up here?

RE: [SE] ignis aurum probat - Deimos - 05-04-2023

To hear Fox talk sounded as though there was a sense of newness, foreign intricacies, along the notion of Ancients, even if he was one himself. Maybe he’d been recently changed? Altered? In need of guidance from other, more experienced sources? The Sword thought of Kiada, how she’d grasped at the next opportunity to live and breathe, and kept most of the notions to himself. [say]“I have been through here several times, but I admit I do not know much about Ancients, or if they have specific landmarks.”[/say] A way of apology, perhaps, for the notions of ignorance about the primordial race, or unfortunately running into him, rather than one of his brethren.

Rolling his tunic sleeves further up his forearms, the Warden paused, briefly, to show the sketches and journal page of the guilds’ notions towards Fox – scant as they were, with a fixture of notes along the side. [say]“Wanted to see if I could add some information about darklings for the guild.”[/say]

RE: [SE] ignis aurum probat - Fox - 05-05-2023

[say]"Oh, that's alright. I suppose exploring is all part of getting out more, right?"[/say] Fox says with a self-deprecating grin, figuring that his behaviour thus far means he doesn't have to explain the remark to Deimos. He's not exactly a fish out of water, but given that this is the Ancients' apparent hideaway, he does stick out.

The journal draws his attention, though, as Deimos turns to show it to him, the hunter slowing his footsteps and raising a curious brow as he glances over the notes by the ruddy light of the tunnels. [say]"A monster hunter's guild?"[/say] he murmurs, and another smile - this one a great deal more comfortable - curls at his lips. [say]"No shit - that's what I do for a living back in the Grounds."[/say]

He hasn't heard of a darkling or seen one before, unfortunately, but he can absolutely understand wanting to document the local flora and fauna (especially if it has teeth and likes to cause trouble). [say]"That's the same guild that used to be in the Grounds, right? It relocated to Halo?"[/say]

RE: [SE] ignis aurum probat - Deimos - 05-05-2023

It seemed lately, or at least after the war, more and more individuals were seeking out the rest of the world – carving a niche for themselves that otherwise may not have happened. As such, the Sword took the explanation with a simple nod – a cretin of venturing and exploring himself, with a penchant for nosiness and curiosity – though it left him with more inquiries not yet unfurled from beyond the scope of his machinations.

Instead of meandering through them though, he noted that the journal and statement seemed to spark something out of Fox, and his brow arched at the murmur and smile. The proclamation coinciding caused his head to tilt, a brief snort rumbling through at fellow trackers, maybe with an inkling of a grin beginning to form in one corner of his mouth. [say]“Yes. I was not aware there were many hunters left in the Grounds,” [/say]especially after the burning of the original building, to which he could only credit himself and the monsters lodged within. [say]“Have you been busy?”[/say] Especially if he was amongst and amidst the few.

Another nod rallied at the trail of movement and motion of the league. [say]“I took it over and moved it there when it was going to be disbanded.”[/say] For Kiada, and assortments of other memories and loyalties.

RE: [SE] ignis aurum probat - Fox - 05-06-2023

[say]"There aren't,"[/say] Fox says with a smile that's quickly turning sheepish. [say]"Especially since the war. I think I'm one of only a handful left,"[/say] he explains. But, as Deimos might well imagine, that does make the answer to his second question an obvious one. [say]"Very much so,"[/say] he confirms. [say]"There are a lot of new creatures roaming around. I mostly take jobs to clear farm perimeters, but the odd mystery does crop up every now and then."[/say]

Still gazing down at the journal and finding himself standing beside Deimos as a brother in arms more than an awkward stranger now, he tilts his head to hear he's actually speaking with the guildmaster of the monster hunters. [say]"Damn. Small world."[/say] Fox smiles. [say]"Did you used to live in the Grounds as well, then? Can't blame you for leaving, honestly. It's a different place now."[/say]

RE: [SE] ignis aurum probat - Deimos - 05-06-2023

It wasn’t a surprise to hear of a subdued number. Quick glances towards the village when he’d last been there to assist in building the skyport revealed the same struggling structures, a gradual rebuilding. It made him wonder if Darkeye had been successful at all – or if Noah being pulled there to assist had shifted anything; when some probably only wanted to persist and survive. [say]“A shame,”[/say] he rumbled, nose wrinkling, but as one of the many who’d left before the war, could fathom why. Whether or not Fox’s loyalties kept him there or not probably wasn’t any of the Sword’s business, so he snagged at another angle as they walked. [say]“Do you have many Ancients there?”[/say] Wondering, vaguely, if the surviving Ascended had opted for another path, much like Kiada.

The makeshift grin remained, with a snort to follow, and while the inquiry wasn’t pointed, it still lingered, coursing around old scars. [say]“I did. Only left when there was nothing for me any longer.”[/say] Amalia gone. Kiada dead. Hotaru disappeared. Sickness rampant. Pulled and called to mountains for eternity, and not to a dying, collapsing void. Maneuvering away from the sobering semblances, he persisted in other matters. [say]“Let us know if you ever need any of the guild to help.”[/say] Especially if there were enigmas and mysteries and monsters twisting about in something too hazardous; especially for a wounded world such as the Grounds.

RE: [SE] ignis aurum probat - Fox - 05-07-2023

[say]"It is. But still better than when things were on the brink of war,"[/say] Fox admits with a smile that, while sad, holds no small amount of relief. Peace has been hard won for the Hollowed Grounds, and it will always bear the scars of its past. But hopefully the future will see it contribute something other than conflict to Caido. Maybe they can even be allies to other places.

As for the Ancients, his brow furrows and he shakes his head. [say]"I have never met another one there,"[/say] he admits - he has never met another one in general, truthfully. [say]"I was an Ascended as you can probably guess. There's a shrine to Dygra in the Grounds, though I don't know how it got there. It's where I chose to change."[/say]

He absolutely understands the need to leave the Grounds, and there's no bitterness or resentment there, Fox instead falling back into step with Deimos as they meander through the tunnels. [say]"That's kind of you - I'll send something up to Halo if anything goes badly awry,"[/say] he says with a small nod. [say]"I'd visit myself, but uh... the cold isn't too kind to me these days."[/say]

RE: [SE] ignis aurum probat - Deimos - 05-09-2023

A certainty in the precipice of war – how many actions had been taken and snagged in the fights for relics, in the belief that something could be conquered in all the mess. While he didn’t begrudge the Ascended for taking hold of the Grounds, striving to make defensive procedures and measures, the way some had gone about it had simply made everything worse for them in the long run – and well, here they all were, years later, still meandering around the fault lines.

No other Ancients there perplexed him, and his brows furrowed slightly, for he was certain he’d seen one when they were making the skyport. Ophelia, perhaps? The other truth though, not about prior Ascension, but the Dygra shrine caused that bout of inquiry to flood its way through his mind, incapable of ever truly shutting the machinations off. [say]“Hm. It was not placed where the Ascended shrines used to be?”[/say] Sudden replacements would make more sense to him, given the Voice’s prior actions.

Nodding at the inclination towards assistance from the Halo branches and brambles, he pondered over additional inclusions. [say]“You are more than welcome to join the guild – you do not need to be able to visit in order to do so,”[/say] attempting to alleviate that worry, though he understood if it was simply out of the cards for the moment. [say]“We tend to meet in other lands as well.” [/say]