Court of the Fallen
nobody can hear you - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: nobody can hear you (/showthread.php?tid=8214)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

nobody can hear you - Sohalia - 05-08-2023

Sometimes, Sohalia really didn't think things through, and never was that more apparent than right now.

She'd come to King's End, hoping to find Sunjata and take him up on the offer to show her around, having never really explored the area before. She was hoping to add it to her list of map offerings for some very interesting patrons that had come into her shop not too long ago, specifically requesting maps of King's End - and offering to pay handsomely for them. What she had forgotten - or perhaps not entirely appreciated - was that the only place she knew to look for Sunjata was at his brothel. Soh, obviously, had never been to such an establishment, and whatever she was expecting it to be like, this certainly wasn't it.

The young woman was entirely unprepared for the number of scantily dressed people milling about, and she looked diligently at the floor, her face pink, as she hurried to what appeared to be a bar. She hoped that someone would be able to point her in the right direction - preferably somewhere outside. She was sure it was a perfectly lovely brothel, but she'd be much happier getting some fresh air, thank you very much. Unfortunately for her, the person behind the bar didn't know where Sunjata was, and Soh had just turned to leave, disappointed and uncomfortable, when a patron sidled up to her.

"Hello, beautiful," said the man, standing close enough that Soh could smell the alcohol on his breath - which was entirely too close for comfort.

Soh swallowed hard, taking a step back, but the man followed, leering at her. [say]"I-I was just leaving,"[/say] she stuttered, trying again to make a move for the door.

The man blocked her way. "What's wrong, sweetheart? Don't have time for one more?"[/say]

With a jolt, Soh realized that he thought she was a worker at the brothel, and her eyes grew round. [say]"Oh, no - I'm not - I don't -"[/say] On the verge of panic, Soh made another move for the door, frantically thinking that if she could just get outside, this nightmare interaction would end - but no such luck. The man grabbed her by the arm; she winced. His grip bordered on painful. [say]"Let go, please,"[/say] she said, trying and failing to say it with authority. Instead, it came out as a near whimper. She tried to jerk away, but the man's grip was like iron.

There was no escape.

RE: nobody can hear you - Sunjata - 05-09-2023

It’s true, he isn’t in a place to be found just right this moment. But that doesn’t mean he’s off premises. No, he’s been counting inventory in the back, hidden away in the little overstock department, ducked down where it’s difficult to see if anyone’s there, let alone him at his full height. Luckily, though, it’s a job that’s completed relatively quickly, and the Flood departs to head to the bar to slip the inventory list in the drawer when he’s told by the bartender that someone had been looking for him.

It isn’t an uncommon thing for people to be looking for him here of all places, but with the way that the bartender seemed to pick up on some hint of her not seeming like she’d intentionally come here for any other reason than to talk to him? That captures his attention a bit more. And even more so, it’s easy to spot Sohalia as he heads in her direction, most notably by the man blocking her way, gripping heavily onto her arm.

He's got a reputation here at the House of Midnight, and with a love of the dramatics, Sunjata will always go all in if only to ensure that it’s such a spectacle that perhaps whoever it was might not ever return, especially with those unsavory intentions. The horns appear, curling around his head, his dragon wings sprouting from his back and curling in as he cuts in, taking the man’s hand off of Sohalia’s arm. “[say]Are you deaf?[/say]” He’s far more graceful this time than the first time they met. “[say]If that’s how you intend to spend your time here, then you're going to leave my establishment.[/say]” He announces with all the regality of his voice, from years of learning how to command a room from his father.

Sunjata even goes the extra mile of stepping toward Sohalia, one of those leathery bat wings curling around her protectively, staring down the other man as if determining whether or not he was going to give in and leave or if he wanted to start a fight.

RE: nobody can hear you - Sohalia - 05-09-2023

Whatever grace and dignity Sohalia possessed, it certainly was not available at present. She was as near to panic as she'd ever been, trying to get it through this man's seemingly thick skull that she was not whatever he thought she was. He didn't seem willing to just let her go, and the way he leered at her made her increasingly fearful. Her options were limited; she had no access to her staff, having left it at the inn where she'd chosen to stay, not thinking she'd need it around Sunjata. She carried no other weapons. Nor did it occur to her, in her panic, to scream.

When Sunjata appeared seemingly out of thin air, Soh nearly melted with relief. That is, until she saw the horns and the wings that sprouted from his head and back, respectively. Then she paled, surprised and awed by the display (and perhaps a little nervous). But when Sunjata's wing curled protectively around her, she suddenly felt safe. Surely only a madman would attempt to force their way through the draconic form Sunjata now wore, and thankfully, he seemed keen to help her. She took the moment of tension between the two men to calm herself; she swallowed hard and smoothed her skirts, glaring at the stranger with much more animosity than she'd been able to muster moments before (or ever, in fact). Meanwhile, the other man cursed, eyeing Sunjata warily. It seemed that he was not a madman, for he spat on the ground and turned to leave, muttering something about 'keeping all the good ones for yourself.'

Soh waited in silence, tension still evident in every line of her body, until the man made it all the way out the door. Then she gulped, not quite able to meet Sunjata's eyes. [say]"Thank you,"[/say] she whispered to the floor, mortified and ashamed (of what, she couldn't quite say).

RE: nobody can hear you - Sunjata - 05-09-2023

Sunjata keeps his gaze trained on the offender, and for all intents and purposes almost appears as if he might breathe fire on him should he try to argue back. Alas, his dragon shift harbors lightning and no such kiss of flame, but the intimidation is enough to satisfy him for the moment. At least, long enough that he doesn’t lose it on the man as the spit comes close enough to his boot that it immediately flares frustration in addition to his newfound annoyed mood. A hand raises toward one of the house keepers, a quiet murmur of make sure he never gets back onto this property, before his attention is entirely captured by his guest.

He flashes her a soft smile, crooked with how the scar pulls on half of his face, and but he keeps the wing around her in case it alleviates some fear. “[say]I’m so sorry, Sohalia.[/say]” He pauses, letting his apology cross the air between them. His gaze lifts toward the door where he can see the retreating figure of the drunkard, before he speaks again. “[say]The House of Midnight is new, people think they can bend the rules.[/say]” They’ll learn how much of a terrible idea that is, however.

And it isn’t like he won’t be up for the fight, too, should it come to it.

For now though, she’s safe as can be. “[say]Do you want to go somewhere else quieter?[/say]” The droning of voices and glasses moving are loud in the space, and she looks like she could use some air or a space to gather her thoughts.

RE: nobody can hear you - Sohalia - 05-09-2023

Soh wrapped her arms around herself as the drunkard left. She felt strange, somehow dirty, as though the strange man's bad intentions had rubbed off on her. When she thought about what might have happened if not for Sunjata, it made her skin crawl. Although someone probably would have stepped in eventually, she was glad that Sunjata had done so sooner than later.

Sunjata's smile was kind as he looked down at her, his wing still curled protectively around her body. Somehow it made Soh feel all the worse for having inconvenienced him. If only she could protect herself, stand up for herself, perhaps the altercation needn't have involved him at all. [say]"Somewhere quieter would be nice,"[/say] she admitted softly, her pretty features drawn. The sound of buzzing voices and clinking glasses was a little loud, and it was beginning to press in on her senses now that the danger had passed.

RE: nobody can hear you - Sunjata - 05-10-2023

It isn’t her fault – it’s the people that think that they can simply show up and take advantage of the place for what it was. It’s why Sunjata remained there most days – trying to make sure the rules were set and followed to prevent people from getting the wrong idea. After all, it was simple. If you didn’t follow the rules of the House of Midnight, then you had to deal with the Flood. And these days, his reputation far exceeds him, but one thing has remained – he betrayed Safrin and survived it. Most people walking through those doors don’t intend on crossing him.

So, he guides her away, up the stairs toward his little office where the clinking glasses disappear – hidden behind a door of soundproofing the second they get there. If she looks around, she’ll notice that on top of it being his office, it’s also his bedroom – a loft of sorts. He steps over to open the window to let in a bit of a draft, before gesturing to the plush chair beside the thick oak desk. The room itself is opulent, with rich colored bedding for his bed, well built nightstands, oil lamps that appear to be used regularly. There’s a bookshelf full of what appear to be random books, a few laying on the desk they sit at amongst the spread of paper he’s been writing on and keeping track of things. And behind him, against the wall on a shelf sits a vibrant metal and red lantern, in a space that makes it seem as though it’s immensely important to him (it is).

By the time Sunjata sits, the wings and horns have melded back into his skin and his smile is still kind as he regards her. “[say]I would’ve taken you outside, but I wasn’t sure if he was intending on lingering. Nobody will bother us here, though. Can I get you anything?[/say]” He asks, hoping he might have something like water or a blanket that might soothe her frazzled nerves.

RE: nobody can hear you - Sohalia - 05-10-2023

Sohalia allowed him to guide her through the brothel and up a set of stairs, studiously ignoring any doors they might have passed by on their way to an opulent room in the back. The minute the door closed, the noise from behind them ceased, and Soh breathed a sigh of relief - that is, until she realized that she was standing in Sunjata's bedroom. A flush crept up her cheeks as her mortification returned. It wasn't that she mistrusted him - it just seemed so intimate to be in a man's room, and one she barely knew, at that!

Still, she was grateful as she took a seat in the plush chair he offered her and looked around the room. It was splendid, full of beautiful furniture and rich colors that put her own apartment to shame. There were books everywhere among stacks of paper, and against a wall on a shelf sat a lantern of exquisite make, all on its own and away from the rest of the decor. It was a lovely retreat from the chaos downstairs.

[say]"Oh, no - I'm fine,"[/say] she said hastily as he offered to get her something. It wasn't a complete lie - she was calming, now that she was out of the House of Midnight proper and in a quiet room. But, more importantly, she didn't wish to be any more of a nuisance than she'd already been. She was quiet for a moment. Then, because she felt like she should say something, she said, [say]"I really wasn't trying to start any trouble. I just remembered that you said to look you up if I came to King's End, and this was the only place I knew to look for you."[/say]

RE: nobody can hear you - Sunjata - 05-10-2023

He lets her look around the room, not often keeping company here. The House of Midnight was still new, however, and he hasn’t gotten around to adding in the extensions for an actual office space just yet. It was on the agenda, however. And Sunjata rarely lived in a place full of grime, having gotten good at cleaning up after himself.

He nods as she tells him that she’s fine, and the Flood settles in as he watches her toy with beginning to speak again. When she does, his head tilts slightly. “[say]You didn’t start trouble.[/say]” He tries to alleviate her worry. “[say]He started it the second he didn’t listen to you.[/say]” Sunjata shrugs casually, as if regardless of what she thought, he’d never find her at fault. “[say]Sorry I wasn’t there to grab you initially, I was in the back doing inventory.[/say]” An apologetic smile graces his face.

“[say]So, what do you think of King’s End so far?[/say]”

RE: nobody can hear you - Sohalia - 05-10-2023

It isn't that Soh thinks that someone should be able to just take what they wanted; she simply didn't wish to stir up trouble, sometimes to the point that she was too compliant. It had never gotten her into trouble before, and she didn't know what to think of the interaction downstairs. She also didn't know what to make of Sunjata's insistence that it wasn't her fault, so she simply nodded in silence. Regardless, he certainly had nothing to apologize for, given that she had simply shown up hoping to find him. She was about to protest, but then he asked a question, and she let it go.

She fiddled with her skirt, picking off a bit of lint that clung to the fabric. Her experience thus far in King's End was limited, and perhaps a bit overshadowed by the drunkard downstairs. [say]"I haven't seen much yet,"[/say] she hedged. [say]"It's beautiful land, though."[/say] That, at least, was true: a region of fertile hills, it was unlike anything she had at home in Stormbreak, or even that she had seen on her travels to other regions of Caido. Looking back, she'd seen much more of forests and trees than she had of rolling hills.

RE: nobody can hear you - Sunjata - 05-14-2023

The fact that Sohalia hasn’t seen much yet leaves a lot of wonderful things to be explored here, and Sunjata nods, offering her a gentle smile at the agreement. The rolling hills were gorgeous in their own way, different from the towering woodlands of the Greatwood, more lively and full than the Grounds were, not quite rocky enough to get toward the Climb or Halo’s cold mountain peaks. So he considers her for a moment, looks down to his desk where a little agenda of things he needs to do sit, before he looks back up at her.

“[say]I have time the rest of the day. I can show you around if you’re interested?[/say]” He pauses, waiting to see how she takes that offer before he continues. “[say]The Last Step and Meadowreach are here. And if we go a bit further you can see Mourn.[/say]” All beautiful, despite being dry from the Longheat sun. At least the visibility would be quite far.

RE: nobody can hear you - Sohalia - 05-15-2023

Soh was recovering now from her scare, and she was grateful as Sunjata offered to show her around. It was a kind offer, and much appreciated, as Soh had learned quickly on her travels that no one was better to explore with than a local. Still, Soh was nothing if not polite, so she ducked her head with a shy smile. [say]"Only if it's not too much trouble. I wouldn't wish to impose."[/say] Although, perhaps she would - after all, had she not done exactly that by showing up today?

[say]"I've read about Mourn,"[/say] she admitted, brightening by the minute, her resilience kicking in to set her to rights. [say]"I bet it's beautiful, this time of year! I'm not familiar with the Last Step or Meadowreach, but if you say they're worth seeing, then I'm certainly interested. I've been making annotated maps of the areas I visit,"[/say] she said, scrambling for the journal in her bag and pulling it out with a flourish. She flipped open to an example of her work, a map of the Greatwood accompanied by neat handwritten notes and small sketches of notable flora and fauna, and offered it to Sunjata. [say]"So if there's anything notable to record, I'd love to know about it."[/say]

RE: nobody can hear you - Sunjata - 05-21-2023

“[say]You’re not imposing.[/say]” Sunjata’s quick to alleviate her worries on that front – especially with how stuffy the brothel has gotten today with the show he’d had to give downstairs. He wouldn’t hate to stretch his wings, anyway. So when she brightens and speaks of Mourn, Sunjata’s smile grows too – the scar on his cheek tugging lopsidedly as he nods, lips parting to speak right before he promptly shuts them down at the work she shows him.

He leans over the desk a little to inspect it, steel eyes focusing on each intricate detail of the Greatwood (a space he had been unwelcome for so long now that it seemed bizarre to see all the places on a map). “[say]That’s amazing.[/say]” Sunjata says, running his fingers along the edge of the book, scanning over the flora and fauna she’d noted. He takes, perhaps a little too long, taking it all in as his smile softens a fraction and he hands it back to her. “[say]We can start with Mourn, then. We can fly there if you have a winged shift, or you can catch a ride with me.[/say]” As a Pegasus or dragon – though something tells him that when he’d met her on that branch high up in the jungle that she likely had an attuned shift capable of heights.

RE: nobody can hear you - Sohalia - 05-22-2023

Sunjata's genuine smile was enough to alleviate Soh's worries as she pulled out her journal. Perhaps he would appreciate a break from the day-to-day running of the brothel. She was sure that a great deal of effort went into maintaining the establishment, and if she could provide a small break from the work, then perhaps that was a good thing. Sunjata studied her map, offering words of praise, and Soh beamed at him, content to wait until he was ready to return her journal to her. It was always a pleasure for the young woman to watch others take in the intricate detail of her maps; it was as though, by watching them, Soh could see the maps take shape for the first time all over again.

[say]"My shift's a snowy owl,"[/say] confirmed Sohalia as she took the journal back and tucked it away safely in her bag. It would be a bit warm, but she could fly herself. Standing from the chair, she shifted, the strange sensation taking root deep in her bones as she shortened and lightened, sprouting feathers as she shrank. When she was done, she was indeed a snowy owl, and she peered up at Sunjata with keen eyes. Lead the way, she said, her Attuned mind-voice alight with a smile.

RE: nobody can hear you - Sunjata - 05-23-2023

As she tells him what her shift is, Sunjata’s smile grows a bit lopsided once more, the Flood sifting through the shifts in his own arsenal to try and figure out one that would be able to accompany it better. The main choice is likely the macaw, and by the time Sohalia has shifted into that bright shift and speaks to him mentally, Sunjata’s already shifting too. All of his more dangerous shifts tucked away in order for him to give into the large tropical bird with navy feathers and bright yellow surrounding a black beak and dark eyes.

[say]Sure thing.[/say] He replies to her, hopping up the window sill before he dives out of it, taking off toward the left and banking to make sure she’s on his heels. [say]If we go up high enough you can get a more broad view of the valley.[/say] He informs her when they’re back side by side, peering at her from his dark gaze as his wings push him higher.