Court of the Fallen
[RQ] between the cracks - Printable Version

+- Court of the Fallen (https://cotf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: Out of Character (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: Important (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Archives (https://cotf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: [RQ] between the cracks (/showthread.php?tid=8229)

Pages: 1 2

[RQ] between the cracks - Deimos - 05-16-2023

The springs were much the way they’d left it from interludes of creation and construction; the bubbling, brewing proportions familiar and similar to the wake of the Climb. Only it was theirs, belonging to Halo and Halo alone, without the presence of overbearing warmth coinciding; instead, the pleasant abyss and promise of sinking and sliding within, assuaging worn muscles and weary souls.

With more to come, once they were ready.

For the moment, the Sword kneeled where he could fix the many stones he’d marred in the process in preceding months; too distracted and deterred by remnants of the Voice’s shrine to be much help. Rendering his assistance quietly and contentedly, placing earthen wakes amidst the rocks and ensuring they were stable and adequately detailed, he focused on the actual plan, kneeling and crouching beside the pool of water, and beginning to orchestrate his own elemental incantations over the surface.

RE: [RQ] between the cracks - Hotaru - 05-23-2023

The Valkyrie does not often leave the Academy or her home, but the construction of the springs has led to far more trips out into the snow to relax amidst their depths. Although she has the spa, it has become a fully fledged business that she oversees instead of micromanaging, and she has built a new home to give up the small quarters there to the current manager. Given that, she does not get to experience the relaxing effects of its mud pit any longer.

It's not uncommon to find others gathered on the edge of the pools or in their bubbling depths, but Deimos' presence - especially without his beloved - is one she hadn't anticipated. [say]"Hello Dei,"[/say] she denotes with a pleasantly surprised air as she approaches. Standing at his shoulder while he kneels, she investigates his actions like a curious bird. [say]"What are you doing?"[/say]

RE: [RQ] between the cracks - Deimos - 05-23-2023

Perhaps he should’ve expected Ru – as the patron of spas and likely one of the few who would know how to operate a hot spring effectively – but his eyes only widened slightly as she approached, before easing back into their welcome familiarity. [say]“Ru,”[/say] he echoed in return, listening as the rumble ricocheted off of the walls, before contorting the water beneath his hands again. It rippled and churned, turning over and over as if boiling, but only due to incantations, rather than painstaking heat.

Indulging her, as he often did, his smile was drawn to one corner of his mouth. [say]“Frey asked for light based or healing magic to purify the springs and the surrounding area.”[/say] And given the rarity of him having any of the more mending and soothing elements, he, like so many times before, carried on and strived to assist. [say]“Figured I would do my part.”[/say] Pausing momentarily, he tilted his head. [say]“I can come back another time if you need to use it.”[/say]

RE: [RQ] between the cracks - Hotaru - 05-24-2023

Squatting down beside him as he indulges her curiosity, Ru peers into the bubbling water and determines he must be using his magic as his skin does not look even remotely pink from the heat of the water. He explains moments later as Hotaru leans her shoulder against his companionably, watching the eddies in the water instead of his face.

[say]"Not at all, I don't mind postponing. Care for some help?"[/say] Her magic has always straddled the line of light and dark, a mixture of elements and implications that have always felt rather fitting for her soul. It's no surprise that Frey is involved as they often go to the herald for Halovian advancements, so Ru would happily help even if it were not for the benefit of their people on the whole. [say]"Have you tried them yourself much?"[/say] Surely he'd done it at least once given all the work they'd put into the springs, but she has yet to run into him actively utilizing them.

RE: [RQ] between the cracks - Deimos - 05-24-2023

More than once he contorted the ripples so they made tiny, insignificant whirlpools, lazily churning and burning along the rest of the springs, until they convoluted on one another and collapsed. Then he’d start again, amused by the potency in the silence, half-tempted to bump Ru into the pool of water, but opting to behave himself in the stillness. [say]“If you want,” [/say]for he rarely forced anyone into something unwilling – and Ru would never have been one of those individuals anyway.

The question gave him pause, because, no, he hadn’t, and ordinarily he might’ve been amidst the first to launch within. Time had been stretched thin amidst the summer season, and in between all his other tasks, settling into the mending, assuaging features should’ve been on his list. [say]“Not yet,”[/say] he surmised with a lazy grin, expecting a forthcoming lecture. [say]“Been busy.”[/say] Utilizing the opportunity to sidetrack, he snagged a portion of the liquid and turned it over again. [say]“You?”[/say]

RE: [RQ] between the cracks - Hotaru - 05-26-2023

Wanting is the least of her worries with requirements from Frey on the line, but she has no qualms about being put to work either. Shuffling so she can sit next to Deimos while putting her bare legs in the water, Hotaru leans over her thighs to touch her fingers to the surface of the water and lets her healing magic pool out from her palm. There’s nothing to truly mend which makes the sensation quite odd but in the end not uncomfortable.

Surprise flits over her face at his admission. Not even once, immediately after the installation of them? He may be busy, but given the nostalgic nature of the springs she is still rather surprised. Not that she condemns him in the least for it, moving on naturally. [say]“Only once or twice. I’ve been busy as well - the Academy is flourishing, and I’ve been asked on a few expeditions.”[/say] Out to Hak Etme with Tal, Torchline to her daughter. She has been on a gratuitous amount of skyboats recently. [say]“Is there anything I can help with? This aside of course.”[/say] Ru may not be a formal council member, but in everything but name she may as well be with how often she pitches her name into the hat.

RE: [RQ] between the cracks - Deimos - 05-26-2023

He’d long since rolled up his long pants to his knees, and only now dipped them within the water. The rush of warmth around muscles and calves instilled a welcome relief, allowed the smallest of sighs to slip through his lungs. The temptation to simply swing his legs around and kick the liquid about – like a juvenile child – still slid along his mind, and the fact that he managed to contort and control it likely spoke volumes of impending immaturity.

When no lecture about taking time for himself was forthcoming, he broke it apart in his mind too, knowing he was saving opportunities for other occasions. [say]“Have you been getting more students?”[/say] An extension of his magic further churned along the water, turning it over and over along the surface, amused by the easygoing squall. [say]“Expeditions?” [/say]and he arched his brow, knowing of their own rescue mission, but unaware of any of her other traversings.

At her inquiry though, his eyes lifted to the vaulted, then open ceiling, before flickering downwards. [say]“I asked Alys if she would like to lead a group going to the Grounds. Need a lot of efas herbs. You could join her.” [/say]

RE: [RQ] between the cracks - Hotaru - 05-31-2023

It’s true she doesn’t take the opportunity to chide him for not relaxing - but only because she can see him starting to do it here and now. If she holds her tongue perhaps he will indulge even further. And though he resists the urge to kick his legs Hotaru does not, though it’s a slower process more like the leisurely strokes of treading water.

[say]“Not yet, but I’ve had students report back interested individuals they’ve found abroad which is a start.”[/say] She will have to do some outreach, but it will hopefully be worth the end result if it means increased numbers. Merely yet more traveling to do. [say] “Tal and I were hunting for plants in Hak Etme most recently. We found the oasis finally - it was beautiful, though I’d only ever be willing to get there by boat or wings.”[/say] It was far too much desert to contend with on foot.

Still leeching healing magic into the water, interest lights up her eyes as she kicks her legs. Anything with Alys nearly guarantees her presence these days with how close they’ve become. [say]“Absolutely, I’ll let her know I’m interested. I’ve missed terrorizing the speaking squirrels honestly.”[/say] She and Deimos had killed so many it was a miracle the population hadn’t been affected.

RE: [RQ] between the cracks - Deimos - 05-31-2023

[say]“Gets you out of the region too then,”[/say] he offered in jest, head raised immediately after in a manner and matter of sedition. Unfurling more of his magic’s potency, the water began to undulate in slight waves, churning over themselves in gentle form; having no need to overflow the boundaries of the springs and cause a larger mess. For now anyways – since he’d have to be the one to clean it up.

Tilting his head vaguely as she mentioned wanderings to the desert, the habitual wrinkle to his nose garnered upon the mere topic at hand, it only ceased at the comment of an oasis. [say]“I have never seen it,”[/say] considering he rarely ventured there, and only in absolute necessity. [say]“I hope it was better than the Grounds?”[/say] Especially given the amount of traversing required – needing an apt description before the thought of flying there himself would even dare cross his mind. The befitting notions of the Hollowed terrain's own had been...lacking.

Content with the approval of Alys and Ru heading towards warrens and mazes, he didn’t bother hiding any chuckle about the speaking squirrels. The laughter echoed across the carved hall, curling and contorting around the cleansed water too. [say]“They deserve it. Maul at least ten.”[/say]

RE: [RQ] between the cracks - Hotaru - 05-31-2023

He's not the first one to say that, and Ru groans dramatically, lips twitching. [say]"Flora said something similar, and invited me to visit - she took over the Hanged Man. I suppose I've been hiding away more than I thought."[/say] She has had to face the raw truth of her healing journey with open eyes, but she hadn't expected herself to ignore this part so staunchly. While she has been moving on in some ways, it's clear she has thrown herself into her work, which has led to isolating herself for nearly a year now. Two if she counts the year spent fixing the Academy.

As Deimos' magic stirs up the water, tickling like jet bubbles against her legs, Ru grins. [say]"Ten times better than the Grounds oasis. It was stunning, I would definitely go again."[/say] Which means that, given the high praise, she recommends Deimos does too. [say]"Perhaps you should take Evie. There were plenty of plants I'd never seen before."[/say] It's common knowledge that the Evergreen has stubbornly kept to her green-thumbed ways even after becoming Warden.

Her grin takes on a more predatory, toothy angle at his request. [say]"I'll bring back a belt of their tails as a trophy. The ningo aren't nearly as fun to blitz through, it's a shame."[/say]

RE: [RQ] between the cracks - Deimos - 05-31-2023

It'd been an echo from those regarding him, and in true Sword facets and signature maneuvers of passing on bits of therapy (rather than adhere to the instructions), he laughed at her dramatics. [say]“Not so much hiding as working,”[/say] he reminded; but maybe Ru saw it that way. He never considered his own responsibilities and duties as tucking himself away from the world – that on its own was a natural force. But every day was committed to seeing the people of his kingdom, so he didn’t measure it as reclusive.

Flora’s undertaking of the Hanged Man gave him pause enough to cease maneuvering his legs for a moment, before they started again, and he widened the ripples of the water, tossing waves along as they flowed underneath one another; simultaneous currents as they were healed and cleansed by Ru’s forces. [say]“Is she doing well?”[/say] If the youth was anything like her mother, there were likely endless opportunities for trials, tribulations, and trouble.

Oasis venues better than the Grounds (not that it held rave reviews) ensured the angle of his features rested on hers for a moment, before snorting. Were plants and water enough of a temptation to send them towards such a hellhole? [say]“I will ask her,”[/say] because the stubbornness of his own mind was already leaning heavily in favor of avoidance.

A belt of squirrel tail trophies sparked his own juvenile grin, fanged and all. [say]“Do wear that to the festival.” [/say]

RE: [RQ] between the cracks - Hotaru - 06-06-2023

Laughing lightly, Hotaru shrugs one shoulder elegantly. [say]"I will gladly agree with that, but considering you've been chided for such arguments, perhaps we are enabling each other."[/say] Not that she sees the problem in that if it ensures she does not have to change the routine she has come to rely upon. Hotaru has never been the type to resist change before, but her stubborn nature is well known. They merely happen to coincide for once.

His pause and the resulting waves makes her smile down into the waters, magic still uncurling freely with no need for pause or respite. [say]"She is. Far better than I could have hoped - though her taste in men is as woefully terrible as my own."[/say] Snorting her laughter because surely Deimos will find that hilarious given how often he has lamented her choices, she cuts a grin his way. She thinks that Enzo's visit had in some ways done far more for Flora than the rest of the family; not unexpected given they were twins. Ru would give anything for just one moment more with Raeden.

[say]"I just might, and fashion them so that only you will know their source."[/say] She wouldn't be so bland as to hang the tails freshly split from her waistline - fur would certainly be fun though.

RE: [RQ] between the cracks - Deimos - 06-06-2023

Enabling one another seemed to be a major portion of their friendship, so he couldn’t help but snort. [say]“Fine,”[/say] and he rolled his eyes, persisting in rolling the undulations along until they covered the entire springs – watching as it churned in circular motions. [say]“I will take a break if you do,” [/say]and to that he wrinkled his nose again, a daring, provoking sentiment.

The statement about Flora, and her taste in men, enacted and instigated a loud bark of laughter. [say]“A taste of your own medicine,”[/say] he crowed, beginning to chuckle enough that it echoed along the walls, and aligned the water’s movements into larger waves. Deimos could recall many of Ru’s conquests, and hadn’t been impressed with any.

The Valkyrie in squirrel fur was another unrelenting strike against his boyish humor, and once he’d finished laughing, wiping a tear from his eye, he loosened another raw chuckle. [say]“Like a hat?”[/say]

RE: [RQ] between the cracks - Hotaru - 06-14-2023

She wrinkles her own nose back, finding the idea just as distasteful and reluctant to make that deal because of it. It is sufficient revenge, though not enough of one to prevent her from rolling her eyes and nodding, a huff of a laugh escaping her. [say]"Fine. Consider it a deal. Though you have to tell me what you do so I can ensure you actually did it."[/say] As if they don't trade stories freely anyway, this way it merely gives them an excuse to sit together and talk.

Though she won't want to talk to him now as he guffaws loudly, the boisterous sound making her shoulders quake hopelessly with her own stifled laughter. While not normally in the habit of poking fun at herself, in this case, it was worth it to be able to sit back and revel in his humor.

[say]"Oh trust me, I know. And it is quite sour,"[/say] she snorts inelegantly, fondly exasperated; with Deimos or Flora (or maybe even herself) was unclear. Flora has all of her good parts, yes, but unfortunately seems to have acquired quite a few of her flaws. Hopefully Hotaru's presence in her life will ease any of the growing pains the Valkyrie had been forced to experienced on her own.

Making a disgusted face, Hotaru splashes water at him in lieu of an answer, the idea of a hat made of squirrel tails deeply disgusting. [say]"You are a lost cause, Ignatius."[/say]