Murphy's Law
Nurse

Age: 37 | Height: 6’1 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Now I know there's no one I can trust - I used to think there was
you can tell me that I'm cutthroat but I think you've got your eyes closed
It's definitely not the answer Bart was expecting. "Yeah? Think things are better for ya now, at least?" He hasn't seen any prejudice against the Ascended transfer to the Ancients, but the convenient acceptance of the Old Gods may have a hand in that.

Luckily or unluckily is for Fox to decide, because Bart usually sees someone eating their own foot and goes gee willickers, I hate to be left out! "He became The Voice's demigod which shut him outta stayin' away from the Draig and he died." Gruffly spoken when it didn't really need to be, but hell, he never talks about it with anyone else. Maybe saying it out loud will help, or so the fake therapist in his head suggests. "Sorta just leaves me here, tryin' to help out the rest of you lot. Better hope I'm better with cows than rats, huh?" He shoots Fox a lopsided smirk that falls flat, ducking under another branch and exhaling noisily with gratitude upon seeing the lakeside once more. Now to just find his clothes.
Feel the fear and swallow back the tears
let weakness disappear
BARTHOLOMEW
Fox Sinclair
Monster Hunter

Age: 35 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
"Better and then some," Fox admits, and the way his shoulders seem to visibly relax is a big tell towards the reminder at how much better things are now. "I know not everyone felt the same way about it, but for me it was like being cut off from the world and told to like it. And as a bonus, everyone hated you as well." Put simply, absolutely not what had been sold to him, in Fox's opinion.

But hey, why wallow in his own self-pity when he can wallow in Bart's as well? Not that Fox can even call that sort of grief self-pity, and hazel eyes widen at the realisation that he's knee deep in a faux-pas with nowhere to go. "Gods, I'm so sorry," he says, and he means it, the hunter blowing out a long sigh that puffs out his cheeks. "And you're still trying to help out the Ascended, even after that?"

Kudos to him, because he's a more forgiving man than Fox will ever be.

They emerge back out onto the lakeside, and he frowns and watches the ripples along the surface of the water as if expecting some ROUS to jump out. "In your defence," he says, "I don't think the cattle here group together to go out and do murders. So they should be easier to handle."

welcome to the desecration, baby
we built you up and we'll tear you right down
Nurse

Age: 37 | Height: 6’1 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
It's like hearing someone speak above water after years of people shouting down at him through pond scum, and Bart's face plainly shows it. "See, that makes sense. And it pisses me off that she couldn't just do it from the start, y'know? Why make you poor sods suffer and scare away new blood to boot?" Why not wake Dygra early, or allow them the ability to feel outside of that weird room? Bart is used to being small-minded and focused on the here and now, but he won't pretend to understand something he sees as a glaring problem in the recruitment tactics The Voice had utilized.

The apologies are unfortunately familiar, and Bart's neck goes a ruddy shade as his jaw feathers slightly. A reaction to the tangle of emotion in his chest more than the man who had inspired it. "Way I see it, just cuz the Old Gods said you guys are cool in their book don't mean ya aren't still the underdogs. Ain't gonna let ya be left out and ostracized a second time." He'll cater to them on his own if the rest of the world won't.

It's a relief to snort a laugh at the reemergence of humor, and Bart takes the initiative to creep out onto the sandy bank towards the clothes he can see down the shoreline. "Don't curse me with that, Fox. If I get schemin' cattle now, I'm huntin' you down." He pauses in stride to shoot a wicked grin over his shoulder. "Think that'll be a fun change of pace for ya?"
let weakness disappear
BARTHOLOMEW
Fox Sinclair
Monster Hunter

Age: 35 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Fox wrinkles his nose and shakes his head, equally as uncomprehending. "Her opinion was that we were better for it," he says. "Not needing anything unnecessary, not restricted by base needs and desires..." He breathes out a long sigh. "I suppose it would have made sense if the Ascended had been born that way, not knowing any different. But to have it and then not? It was hard." Even knowing it was coming. Even choosing it.

Shoving his hands in his pockets, there's no easy place to look as Bart is forced to deal with his apologies (ones Fox is aware he's likely heard enough time to be meaningless at this point). Still, he does finally glance up to hear that the other man is still aiming to help the Ancients, the hunter feeling a smile curl at his lips. "Yeah? Well I'd be a fool to turn you down when you put it like that."

Bart creeps out onto the shoreline and Fox slips his hands back out of his pockets to follow in his wake, but while the nurse is focused on his wayward clothing, he's more interested in whatever ripples are skating along the water's surface. "Having you hunt me?" he repeats, his voice low, amusement in his tone despite his concentration. "It'd make a change for sure. Not so confident you could catch me, if I'm honest."

Nurse

Change author:
It's refreshing to speak so plainly of The Voice and her inadequacies without inviting blatant prejudice or overt Old God groveling, and it's apparent in the relaxing of his normal glower, the softening of his dark brows. "Exactly, and s'not like she could just erase all those memories either. Lady clearly never heard of compromise or fixin' bugs." Not that the Old Gods were known for their open forums and democracy, but Bart wouldn't consider the Ascended a perfected lifeform either. Pretty premature for her to have waged a war with a discontent military in his mind.

"Well maybe ya can be my first patient then. I'll hook ya up with monster hunts from injured idiots reportin' em, and you gimme insight on your health needs." He hasn't even opened his clinic yet, but he'd be a fool not to propose such an advantageous union. Snatching up his clothes and skittering back shamelessly to Fox's side, Bart follows the man's gaze out towards the water and huffs an amused noise. "If it involves naked runnin' in the woods, clearly not," he admits with a snort. Bart gestures his chin at the lake as he pulls on his shorts. "Anythin' I can do to help ya with those suckers?"
let weakness disappear
BARTHOLOMEW
Fox Sinclair
Monster Hunter

Change author:
Never having heard the term fixin' bugs, even having been an Ascended, Fox can only hum his agreement and hope the conversation doesn't stray too far into a topic where he has to pretend that he knows that he's talking about. Luckily he does at least know about his own health (he thinks), the hunter offering Bart a crooked smile and nodding, inching closer to the shoreline even as the other man skitters back towards him.

"I don't remember the last time I even had a check up," he confesses. "Didn't really need them as Ascended, and the Grounds doesn't exactly have much any more in the way of a medical presence. Apart from you, that is." And whatever hedge witch nonsense that goes on in the farmlands, he imagines.

As for the ROUS, Fox glances back at his new acquaintance. "Got a big, sharp stick you could stab them with?" he wonders. "I should be alright, but it depends on their numbers. You don't have to stick around if you don't want to - at least you got your clothes back."

Nurse

Change author:
The confession is met with a wildly unimpressed stare. "See, that's why ya need a doctor. Even if it's just someone who can bang down yer door to remind ya to take care of yerself." Which would be Bart's only version of a house call. And he'd charge overtime for it too, just to make a point to people like Fox. "Thinkin' of settin' up a clinic instead of rebuilding the one in the temple. Keep it nice and removed from any religious overtones." Or any firebrand fingers given the history of the place.

"I can rip one offa one of those trees," he offers, though it's a bit of a gruff thing, clearly reluctant. The recalcitrant look only deepens the moment Fox offers him an out though. "Nah, I want my revenge. You do - whatever it is yer gonna do to get 'em in the open. I'll go get a stick." He ventures off to do just that, pulling at one of the heartier branches to break it off the trunk and then stripping the outer bark with his fingers stubbornly to make the edge a little sharper. It's not much, but with enough force it'll be decent at stabbing.
let weakness disappear
BARTHOLOMEW
Fox Sinclair
Monster Hunter

Change author:
Holding up his hands in an attempt to placate Bart against any knocking down his door check-ups, Fox still can't help the grin on his face. "Alright, alright - noted," he assures the other man. "If you need a hand setting this clinic up, let me know. I'm no craftsman but I've got a thick skull and I don't mind hauling supplies around." And it feels like the least he ought to do for the man who cares more about his health than he does.

"That'd work." Fox nods, glancing across to the trees where, he imagines, even the living branches will be dry enough to break off and use as potential weapons. As for what he is going to do, the hunter is already dropping to a knee to rummage in his bag again, withdrawing a small, wrapped package with rusty stains seeping along the paper edges.

Tearing open the parcel of raw meat (don't ask what kind), he haphazardly scatters it along the shoreline before backing up and finding some long grass to crouch in and wait. "It shouldn't take long before the greedy little bastards sneak up to take a look," he murmurs.

Nurse

Change author:
It's a kind offer that follows the placating, which means Bart subsides far faster due to his deathly allergy to niceness. "Yeah, I'll give ya a ring. Would be nice to have help." He may be stubborn but building an entire clinic is a little outside his scope of abilities. Bart is admittedly still grateful when the topic is moved past swiftly in favor of stabby stuff. Newly armed and ready for vengeance, Bart returns to squat in the grass abreast of Fox, eyes narrowed at the meat in the water. He surely won't be swimming in that again anytime soon.

Fox is clearly a master of his craft, because the water is disturbed nearly seconds after the meat has stopped bobbing around from being thrown. Dark shapes emerge from underneath the surface, prickly little faces poking free to scent the air. Bart looks to Fox, tense and waiting for a signal or a lead to follow.
let weakness disappear
BARTHOLOMEW
Fox Sinclair
Monster Hunter

Change author:
Not knowing what kind of ring Bart is going to give him or how it corresponds to helping him set up a clinic, Fox wisely opts for silence on the matter, giving little more than an agreeable nod. Besides, there's something much more interesting to deal with now, and his eyes narrow at the sight of pointed noses poking up from the surface of the water like periscopes. "A little longer," he whispers, as the first of several fat ROUS swim to the shore to partake in the meaty offerings.

Only once they're all not-so-safely on land does the hunter spring his trap, which just so happens to come in the form of shifting into a hulking great dog-like-thing. A fyrhund is still canine enough in appearance to get the point across to the ROUS, but as Fox unhinges his jaw and lets loose a plume of fire, among the scent of burning fur and furious squeaking, he gets the distinct impression that the rats hadn't encountered anything like that before.

A couple of them are incinerated instantly; a couple more go for the water, but some scatter, singed and angry, right into the path of Bart and his conveniently sharpened stick.

Nurse

Change author:
Fox is far from the first person to have been baffled by language Bart refuses to part from, so it's a good thing the miscommunication flies straight over his own head. And he can't even blame it on the tense moment, because he's just socially stunted. The rats, meanwhile, are distinctly not. It's a relief to Bart to see he clearly hadn't misjudged their size or been scared off by something pitiful, because as they lumber out from the water they look more like soaked dogs. Ew, wet rat smell?

Bart startles hard from his juvenile thinking as Fox moves like a torpedo straight at his chosen targets and promptly explodes. It takes a moment to see a shape beyond the sudden appearance of fur, but they then there's fire? Bart stands there like an idiot with his sharpened stick, wondering how the hell Fox ever allowed him to stay when he's clearly not half as cool or helpful.

That is, until a few come hauling ass his way. Intent on both revenge and pulling his own weight, Bart stabs one right through the front of its chest and dumps it sideways so he can kick at the other and shove his bloodied stick down at its spine to puncture its heart and end it swiftly. Then he lets go of the stick and backs away with a grimace, grossed out. "Rat-kebab. Yuck." Turning towards the giant dog-thing assuming it's Fox, he calls out. "I think we got 'em all! Ya need some water for that throat? Or can ya drink the lake water like that." Maybe animal stomachs would tolerate it? The science here is bewildering, but Bart is stubborn enough to memorize it through firsthand shitshows if he must.
let weakness disappear
BARTHOLOMEW
Fox Sinclair
Monster Hunter

Change author:
Having reduced some of the rodents to cinders, while Bart skewers another two on his stick, Fox takes care of the last one; an enormous thing with yellowing buck teeth and nothing behind its black eyes. If this were a videogame, it would likely have Boss Rat and a healthbar above its head. Regrettably, it's just as weak to fire and jagged teeth as its compatriots, and by the time Bart calls out to him, the fyrhund is giving the ragged creature a final, violent shake in his jaws before spitting it out.

More rock and lava than fur, the ground around its paws is already starting to smoke, such that Fox promptly shifts back lest he start a wildfire on top of all of it. "I think I'll be alright," he says of the water with a rueful smile, swiping at a streak of blood on his cheek as he straightens up. "Thanks for your help - hopefully you can relax by the lake in peace from now on." Safe from this particular pack of rats, anyway.

Nurse

Change author:
Bart watches like it really is a videogame, more than content to stay out of the literal firing line (heh, get it?) and watch Fox absolutely destroy the last rat. It's gross but also not unlike watching a car crash so he can only blame himself if he gets nightmares tonight.

Watching him shift back is equally disconcerting, but losing his lunch the second Fox has feet again seems a little too pointedly rude so Bart chokes it down. Though it's probably clear he's queasy as he watches Fox swipe blood over his (damnably still attractive) cheek.

"Don't think 'm ever gonna look at this lake the same actually but thanks," he barks on a laugh. Beginning to pull his clothes back on, Bart sloppily salutes the man. "But hey, keep an eye for my letter, aight? I'm callin' in that favor." Even though if anyone owes anyone, it's Bart owing Fox. But before the other man can object or point it out, Bart grins roguishly and disappears back into the woods with shirt in hand and a few more scrapes to bandage.

- Fin! <3
let weakness disappear
BARTHOLOMEW