On This Night
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Mature Content Warning 
Samuel
And he's smiling like he means it, and he's stretched out on his back
And he's telling me now that he loves me, for the fifth or the sixth time, I can't keep track

Sam did not usually have busy evenings, but LongNight was fast approaching and he had to prepare his home to be left alone for a week while he was at the Rathskeller. Exactly what this task would involve he wasn't sure, but so far it had mainly involved walking about and panicking, staring at Mia with pleading eyes as if she would have a solution and moving about furniture every so often.

Truthfully, he was not worried about his home. He was worried about LongNight, and about Jigano, and Remi, and this ridiculous spire plan, and Ludo, and...there was so much. Underneath all of it too, just to add to the confusion, Sam was happy. About a lot of things. He had recently seen his father told off by Remi, had discovered the joy of touch and put it to some use that made him wish he could blush...

Life was confusing and odd when you went outside, it turned out. But not entirely bad. After a good hour of pottering about not doing much, he finally made himself sit down in front of the fire with a book, staring at the page without really reading it.

Embarrassingly, the thoughts coming to mind were not of any of his worries nor exactly his joys. They were of Remi, the way he had pulled Sam over him, how they had kissed...he stared off into the fire and wondered what might have happened if the scene had continued. Of course, Remi was still unwell, so they would not have the time to find out until after LongNight, he was sure.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059

Remi had gone to the bookstore first. It seemed a likely enough place to find Sam, and yet the inside was dark and barren. This made him pause. Given that they weren't...well. Remi was all but sure he knew what Sam wanted him to be, and yet he'd rather shamelessly skirted around the question twice now. Something in his heart felt like shards of glass were being pressed into freshly flayed meat whenever Sam hazarded a comment about the future and where the pair of them might find themselves in it. It hurt, because once Remi had done the same, subtly and (at the time he thought) slyly dropping hints, but that future had never come for him. Truthfully, Remi didn't know if he was protecting Sam's heart from the wounds Jigano all but promised the alchemist's presence in his life would bring, or if it was the other way. If Remi wasn't the one ready to commit because while his body had healed, Safrin had done little for that which was truly broken in him.

And so he stood on Sam's stood in the gently falling snow, wondering if it wouldn't be best to simply go back into his own shop.

A shiver tore through him, and without thought he was covered in feathers and flying through the night to Sam's doorstep. Wings unfurled and suddenly his jacket was sweeping around him, and before he could think or second guess, his fist was against the bookmaker's door and he heard himself calling out Sam's name.

remi
Come on skinny love just last the year
Pour a little salt we were never here
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Samuel
And he's telling me now that he loves me, for the fifth or the sixth time, I can't keep track

Sam heard a fluttering of wings by the window and looked up hopefully, then shook his head. It couldn't be Remi; he was recovering in the infirmary and wouldn't be flying anywhere right now. He convinced himself he just had the other man on his mind, was too obsessed in the moment and assigning everything to him; but then there was a knock on his door and an all too familiar voice calling his name.

"H-hold on!" He said, jumping up from the chair and running to the door, fiddling with his keys for a moment before opening the door and pulling Remi in by his coat sleeve. "Remi! It's...I m-mean I'm glad to see you b-but it's snowing and you're hurt and..."

His voice trailed off as he actually looked at Remi and saw that he was standing straight, without the flinches of pain and cringes from the last few days. "Wait...a...are you o-okay? You look...good." Sam reached forward to touch Remi's hair, nervous to touch him as if he might be an illusion.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

Remi laughed brightly as Sam tugged him inside, his feet shuffling over Sam’s threshold as he was dragged in. With a slowly widening grin, the alchemist raised a brow waiting as Sam looked him over, slowly piecing things together. “Do I?” Remi asked with a delighted chuckle as Sam ran a hand through his hair. Snatching it, the alchemist pressed a kiss into the man’s palm, then took that hand touched it to his side. With the other hand, he raised his shirt slightly to show that not only were the bandages gone, but the scarring was as well. Previous scars remained, but the mass of disfigured tissue was now smooth again.

Pressing Sam’s door closed with his foot, Remi laughed again. “I ... met Safrin.” He said with a boyish and crooked grin, running a hand through his curls. “She healed me.” He explained.

Reaching into his pocket, Remi pulled a hand out that was cupped obviously around something. “This is for you.” Remi said, holding his hand out and waiting for Sam to extend his own to receive it. When he did, the alchemist would slowly reveal a glass paperweight, heavier than most. Within was the flower Sam had given him on their first date, perfectly preserved. “I thought it could be used to help hold books closed while you are binding them. And ... to remind you of a date that did not end up going horribly wrong.” He added with a buoyant chuckle.

remi
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

Sam grinned, delighted, as his palm was kissed; it was a small gesture but one filled with such affection that he could not believe it had happened to him. As soon as Remi's side was revealed to him he went to touch it with intense curiosity, fingers running over ribs that were no longer bloody and raw. "...S...Safrin? I thought...she was just...stars..." He mumbled, but honestly didn't care too much how it had happened, only that it had.

It appeared Remi was not content with just given him the gift of his recovery, either. Sam took the paperweight reverently, held it up to the light so he could see the shine of the glass and the colour in the petals. It was beautiful. "Remi! R..Remi this is...a-amazing. I..." Suddenly he rushed forward, holding the paperweight in his fist as he pulled Remi into a tight hug, pressing his face into the side of his neck. The concerns about the spire and Ludo were still on his mind, but for the moment Remi had managed to charm his way past them.

Mia came down the stairs to investigate the new visitor, pushing herself between both of their legs and walking around to look at Remi. Sam glanced down at her and laughed. "Oh. Th-this is my new c-cat. Mia. I think...she likes you."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Remi chuckled and shrugged. "Both Bastien and Ronin have spoken so highly of her...but honestly she was far more than I expected. So kind...especially when compared to Ludo and Frey. Ronin mentioned that I was injured and she was the one to offer to heal me."

Laughing softly against Sam's hair, the alchemist wrapped his arms around him with a contended sigh. He thought that Sam would probably like the gift, but that didn't stop the warm rush of relief and happiness that welled up in him at seeing the way his friend's greenfml blue eyes had alighted with joy.

Looking down at the cat suddenly on his foot, Remi grinned. "I wonder if that is because she thinks I am a bird she can chase, or a fellow feline?" He quipped, pulling his arms away from Sam to lean down and regard the cat. "Hello Mia." Remi said softly, leaning his face out towards her. As he did so, his nose became that strange mushroom-shape that cats have and whiskers sprouted from a face suddenly quite golden and feline. "I cannot speak with animals like this the way I can with others." He said after a moment, glancing up with a face which was entirely human again.

remi
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

"You aren't f-flying or furry ri-right now..." He said, amused by Remi's theories on why Mia was interested in him. It appeared that actually she was just sociable, walking up under Remi's chin and rubbing up against it, flicking her tail against his jaw. Sam watched as his face changed, wondering if it hurt.

Probably not, if he did it so often, right? And it hadn't hurt when he'd been a bird...the thought brought to mind biting Remi, if he'd be doing that now that the other man was well; if he was expected to do it...it was complicated and sad, so Sam stopped thinking of that and moved right onto something else just as complicated and sad.

"Remi..." He said, his voice quiet and concerned. "Ji-jigano told me. That you...w-wore a mask from Ludo. And...th-that you are g..going to the Spire. Is that....t-true?" The tone of his voice very much implied that he wished it were not true, and he hoped Remi might tell him that actually Jigano had had the wrong idea of things.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

"I think they can probably smell that I am different even when I am not changed. Animals have always treated me a bit differently." Remi replied with a gently shrug, extending a hand to scratch Mia in that hard-to-reach place behind one of her ears before rising back up.

Likely just as Jigano had been doing, Remi tried to school his face into a neutral expression as the other man's name was mentioned. The concern and worry was evident on Sam's face and in his words, and yet Remi's honesty was immediate. "Yes. I asked Ludo how we might lower the barrier, and he told me the answers lay at the top of the Spire." With a chuckle, he shook his head, reaching for one of Sam's hands. "A few of us even flew to the top, as if it would be that simple...but yes, Ludo gave me a mask. It let's me see through the barrier, as well as other things."

With a complicated sort of expression, Remi sort of both smiled and frowned, nodding gently. "I...have been to the Spire several times. To study and draw it...When the snow melts, Ronin has planned an assault on the creature that guards it. He was given a weapon by Safrin that he believes will overcome it." So saying Remi's shoulders rose and fell gently as he tried to peer into Sam's eyes. "Why do you ask?"

remi
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

Sam was pleased to see Remi and Mia get along, but his happiness didn't last for long as Remi confirmed that yes, what Jigano had said was right. Even worse, he added in something new. Flying to the top of the spire?! Sam's eyes widened as he struggled to even believe it. Why would Remi something so foolhardy?

"...Y...you..." He had so hoped Remi would say 'no, don't be silly' that he hadn't prepared for him saying yes. Sam reached forward to hold Remi's hand, more out of a kind of desperate need to keep him here than anything else.

"Remi...th-that's all so dangerous. What if...wh-what if it goes badly? I...I really c-care about you and I don't...you c-could die. Please think." He squeezed Remi's fingers, knowing that the words would likely doing nothing but needing to try.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

The desperateness with which Sam held onto his hand made the alchemist bite the inside of his cheek, his expression crumpling slightly. With a deep sigh, Remi stepped out of his boots and shrugged out of his jacket. Last time he'd taken Sam's lack of host-ly hospitality as some sort of hint, but now that he knew the man slightly better, Remi just assumed it had more to do with the narrow tracks Sam's mind rolled down at times, than anything he should take personally.

Moving to take Sam's hands again, and lead him...well. Remi had only been in the kitchen before so he sort of gave Sam a gentle nod to silently suggest that the ascended should pick a place they could perhaps talk more at length. "It is dangerous, yes." He agreed gently with a nod. "But I do try to make sure that if things go badly, I am prepared. When I put on the mask for instance, the most powerful magic users and healers that I know of were around in-case anything went wrong." He continued, occasionally pausing to bite the inside of his cheek with worry and perhaps a bit of frustration. Given that it was Jigano who had mentioned these things to Sam, Remi couldn't help but think that the bard would be pleased at Sam's current state of unhappiness with the alchemist. Jigano wouldn't be pleased that Sam was upset. But that someone else was echoing the bard's own criticisms? Yes. Remi thought Jigano probably would find satisfaction in that.

"I know." Remi said after a moment. "But there are things in this world that require risks to be taken." He added with a reassuring and gentle smile, biting down on the immediate flare of unhappiness he felt as Sam suggested that he should think, as if like Jigano, Sam just thought he was a reckless idiot as well

remi
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

Well...he supposed it was a little reassuring that Remi had had people around to make sure he'd be alright, but Sam couldn't help but wish he'd made friends and gotten crushes on people that didn't like to be main characters. Who were content to blend into the background like he was; who wouldn't drag him out into the light by his concern.

Remi seemed to want to go somewhere more private. Sam glanced at his kitchen, then at his front room...was it too early to take Remi to his bedroom? It would be comfy and private, space for them both to lay out. After a moment's pondering he took Remi's hand again and began to guide him up the stairs, speaking as he went.

"Well..j-just...be careful. Don't...don't do anything you sh-shouldn't. ...Make sure you c-come back." He found once he started talking he didn't have the energy to argue anymore like he had with Jigano, just wanted to remind Remi that someone cared and wanted him back home. Maybe it would help. "I..if you're g-going to do anything really dangerous. I want to c-come. To help." The idea truthfully terrified him, chilled him to the bone more than any of the new cold he felt could, but he could not have his friends disappear in the night without him at least saying goodbye.

They would come into his bedroom, which was a modest room and the only room in the upstairs of the house besides a small washroom. A slanted roof and a small window framed a double bed with caramel coloured sheets, a small table with a pile of books and a candle, and a bookshelf was crammed into the far wall. On the floor was a thick brown carpet, clearly made from expensive wool. By the door was a chair and a wardrobe, and the whole room was particularly neat.

"You can...s-sit where you like." Sam said, moving to sit on the bed. Mia appeared at the door for a moment to look at them then left on her own mission. "...I just...p-please promise me you'll be a..alright."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Following dutifully behind, Remi took advantage of the brief respite where Sam's gaze was not upon him to run his free hand brutishly across his eyes. Raking his hands through his hair Remi tried to shake himself out of the weariness he was feeling at having to have this conversation again. First Jigano, then Vai, and now Sam. It was getting to be a little much for the alchemist's mind to continue to meet with understanding and tolerance, but such was life. And Remi was more than used to not getting his way.

"I will always try my best to come back." Remi replied gently, squeezing Sam's hand. The idea that Sam wanted to come along if (when) the alchemist did something dangerous was surprising. Sam definitely did have his own unique brand of bravery, but unlike Remi who was perfectly fine with placing himself in dangerous situations and dealing with the consequences, Sam certainly seemed less so. Though unlike Jigano might have, Remi merely hummed a note of agreement. "Alright. If you like. You can always be a lion if you are with me, I suppose. Or...Can you take my magic too?" Which would be more useful? Being a predator, or being able to control the earth? To create things out of thin air?

Remi glanced around the bedroom as they entered. Modest by most standards, it was still more than the alchemist had ever had his entire life. Glancing over Sam's shoulder, Remi wondered why it was they were in here. There was a table and chairs downstairs...and very likely a sofa or some such in one of the other rooms.

But Sam had brought him here. Remi swallowed, a fluttery sort of feeling dancing in the pit of his stomach, suddenly washed out by cold uncertainty. Clearing his throat with a quite cough, a candle appeared suddenly in Remi's hand. It was quite large and earthy smelling with 5 wicks in the centre. Moving towards the already-lit light, Remi gently let the dry wicks catch, before adding it to the table with a small smile.

Looking towards Sam, there was a gulf of sadness in Remi's eyes as he considered for a moment. Sitting next to him on the bed, Remi wrestled with something he always had. Honesty vs. hurting those he cared about. Inevitably, Remi made the same decision he always did. "You know I cannot promise that, Sam." He said in a low voice, nearly a whisper. "But I will always try."

remi
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

"I'm...n-not sure about the magic. Maybe." He had never tried. Sam considered Remi's magic something otherworldly, amazing. Even others he'd know with magic couldn't do half the things he could, and not with half the flair. He was sure if he tried to make a golden feather or a candle from thin air he'd end up with embarrassment and empty hands.

Speaking of the candle...Sam smiled at it with wide eyed delight, not sure why Remi had made it but thrilled to see a display of his skills. But he had little time to comment on it when Remi made it clear he wouldn't -- no, couldn't -- promise a good outcome to his adventures.

After a long, quiet moment, Sam nodded. "I...un-understand. I think. But...y-you must tell me. Before you go, and...w-when you come back. Because we...we're..." He stopped himself before he ruined this thing with an incorrect word, but he hoped Remi would understand. Gently, he rested his head on Remi's shoulder.

"...Although m-maybe if you can d..defeat the spire de-demon as a lion, you will g-get a lot of ri..riches from the Gods and we c-can live like Kings from a st-story." It was a desperate attempt to make things a little happier, Sam suddenly finding he didn't want to dwell on the likely death of his friends that he probably could not prevent anyway.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Remi could only give Sam a questioning sort of stare at the ascended's uncertain answer. We should find out, if you want to come with me.. He wanted to say, but of course what it would take to test it was not something Remi could so lightly suggest. Not at this moment anyways, in this room with candle light softly glowing around them and Sam looking as though his heart was about to break.

Perhaps cruelly, though of course Remi would never have intended it to be, he sat silently as Sam wandered around potentially trying to label them. Pale eyes scanned Sam's face thoughtfully as he nodded. "I will always tell you. I promise." Remi whispered softly, wrapping an arm around Sam's shoulders as he leaned in, and softly pressing his lips into his hair. "There was a story I heard once...of an army made up entirely of lovers. Many thought that the army would be weak or distracted by having someone they loved on the battlefield, but it was not so. Instead they fought all the harder, knowing they were literally fighting for and with someone they cared about." The alchemist wasn't entirely certain what had prompted him to say such a thing. Perhaps some sort of assurance that should Sam come along on one of these dangerous adventures, that he wouldn't be a hindrance. Perhaps it was something more, or nothing at all, Remi really didn't know.

Chuckling at the the idea, the reverberations of the sound echoing against and into Sam, Remi shrugged his shoulders. "I think that even if I had riches I could never live as a king. I am too used to sleeping on floors and living in a wagon to change now." He added with a grin. "What would you do? If it is you who defeats the demon as a lion and is rewarded by the gods?"

remi