Training Slice of life
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 10 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 52 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
"Oof!" Tal didn't usually mind supporting his friends, but this was taking things a little too far! He barely braced himself from getting pushed back underwater as Hotaru righted herself, but her laughter was so rare and sounded so good he couldn't bring himself to even pretend to complain - for once. It was all he could do to hold his mock-pout until she poked him and he deflated like a punctured balloon, a single laugh slipping out before he clapped his hand over his mouth to try and stifle the betraying humor.

"Mort save me!" he begged, clutching at his 'wounded' chest dramatically. "An' I dunno if it's a win for you if we both lost!" Conveniently forgetting that he'd hit the water first, if only by a second. "But if y'wanted a haircut, y'only had t'ask." He sheathed his own Dagger and reached up to run his hands through his hair, pushing the shaggy, dripping mass back out of his eyes with a preening shake. "I'm pretty good at cuttin' my own. Yours'd be easy!" What could possibly go wrong?
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Could I but ride indefinite, As doth the meadow-bee
And visit only where I liked, And no man visit me
Grinning like a loon as his laughter slips free, she pokes him again for good measure - a little lower towards his ribs in the hopes of coaxing it out further. “You hit water first, so it’s a win!” She sinks further back towards her heels to allow him to sit up, though his thighs are still firmly beneath her hips, keeping him in the water.

As he runs a hand through his hair the Valkyrie laughs, flicking a chunk of his wet hair (and then, tenderly, tucking it in its proper place). “You do a surprisingly good job. But are you ready for the consequences if you mess up?” Hotaru is hard to please in many aspects in life, her hairstyle is firmly on that list. Flopping gracelessly sideways into the water to sit beside him, skirt floating around her, she looks up at the sky and basks in the sun warming her shoulders. “I’m all looks you know, can’t go ruining my main source of intrigue.” She’s beginning to change her mind about all that, but it’s a slow process.
And dwell a little everywhere - or better, run away
HOTARU
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Luckily for him, Tal wasn't particularly ticklish. It had been a necessary protective trait when growing up with three older sisters, so he just grunted when Hotaru's finger poked into his ribs and he gave her a look of wounded indignity.

Dignity was in short supply all around, soaking wet in the pool with Ru perched victoriously in his lap and rubbing in his loss. "Hmph." It wasn't the most gracious concession speech ever given as he huffed a reluctant sigh, but there wasn't much he could actually argue about with her logic so he settled for changing the subject to his hair-cutting skills which were...

Well. They were certainly something.

He stuck his tongue out at her as she messed with his hair, nose wrinkled to try and hide his surprise at the gentle way she straightened the wayward tress. It left a warmth in his chest he'd never been good at showing, much less vocalizing, but their teasing was always easier to fall back on then the sincere affection that underpinned it.

After she repositioned he leaned over to bump his shoulder against hers, head tilted down with his eyes half-closed as he basked in the moment. "Don't think y'have t'worry about that. What with all th'magic an' the spa an' your fightin' an' your sewin'. Just 'cause y'got a pretty package doesn't mean what's in th'box isn't just as good." The wisdom of a courier made more sense if you didn't think about it too hard.

"But I'm not too worried," he agreed easily to the mention of consequences, looking as smug as a cat with fifty knives pointed at it. "I can run a lot faster'n I used to!" Sure, some might call it cowardice, but Tal preferred to think of it as a healthy and active self-preservation instinct!
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
She departs from her perch overtop him partly because she knows he finds it difficult to accept the gestures that Hotaru desires to give. Allowing space and a moment to breathe that he needs more than she does. Bumping her shoulder companionably back against his, she smiles down at her lap at his objections. "Perhaps I should have you write my dating profiles then, maybe I'll have better luck." Alys' tarot reading often lingers in her head these days, but she doesn't know how to move forward without falling prey to the same old habits that had invited so much hurt into her life in the past.

Laughing quietly at his self-assured response, Ru aims a smirk sideways at him. "I can just outpace you in the skies." She doesn't shift or even half-shift as often as some Attuned, which leaves her easy to underestimate. It helps that her animal urges were already aligned with her personal ones well before Frey ever turned her into a hybrid.

Propping her arms behind her in the water, the Valkyrie looks up at the sky through the boughs that reach towards one another from around the circumference of the lake. "Think we should head back soon?" She wouldn't mind lingering, talking, but Tal has never been much known for that. Not about the kind of things that Ru has on her mind. This trip has been a pleasant distraction already, one she won't discredit.
HOTARU
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Like a cat a little space brought him right back into her orbit, content to give and receive physical affection once he'd regained his equilibrium. His grin at her suggestion wasn't as warm as the Hak Etme sun, but it was a close second. "Cuttin' your hair, writin' your datin' stuff... You're sure keepin' me busy!" Not that he really minded. Hail, he probably could write her a pretty good dating profile if he put his mind to it!

Her threat was waved away - literally, splashing fresh crystal droplets across both of them so that the water shimmered on Hotaru's bare shoulders and created glistening trails down Tal's arms - with continued confidence and that smug grin. "Hey, I can fly too, y'know! An' the Peregrine didn't get her name for no reason!" ...Even if a true bird was probably faster than a skyboat. It just depended on how much of a head start he had!

It seemed a shame to cut their interlude short, but the plant-finding was a bust and they'd have plenty of time to talk on the boat during the trip back. Still, the courier was reluctant to let the lovely afternoon end just yet. "Hm? Oh! Yeah, we could. But first... don't s'pose we could talk about the knife trainin' for a bit?" he asked a bit sheepishly, belatedly remembering his task from Frey. "Got any tips for me? Or lessons on why y'did what y'did?"
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Grinning right back, she bumps her shoulder against him a second time. "Like mother like daughter, right?" She'd heard plenty about the adventures Flora had tasked Talyson with and had laughed herself silly at times. So long as her daughter knew that Hotaru had first dibs on Tal's talents as the man's best friend, everything would work out fine. "Besides, this way you can advertise even more services. 'On the go, housecall haircuts by Talyson Seawright'!" She waves one hand in the air in a dramatic arc as if reading out a billboard, dimples deepening as she vainly tries to fight her amusement.

Cringing away from the flying droplets with a laugh, Ru lets him believe what he desires - she would sniff him out anywhere he tried to run or hide. Clearly he still respects her abilities or he wouldn't be asking for advice.

"Of course. A lot of the success in fighting with knives and daggers is the element of surprise - striking first, and being bold enough to get close. People are often too afraid of getting cut to realize that their opponent cannot swing easily if you're in their space." Not without awkwardly trying to change their grip one-handed, risking dropping their weapon entirely. "It's why you step into someone's chest and arm if you're trying to disarm them." Snagging at her floating skirt as it ventures a little too high, she lets it flow back down around her ankles, watching how the colors shift beneath the surface. "Getting low is a risk, but I know how to use my height to my advantage so it likely wouldn't work for you. But never forget your legs and the advantage of fighting dirty - kicking your knee out would mean you'd try to balance with your hands, and that would remove your knife as a threat to me."
HOTARU
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal groaned theatrically as Hotaru reminded him of the chores he'd run for Flora... with variable success in collecting payments at time of delivery. "Don't even joke about that! Flora's great, but one o'her is enough!" She was intimidating in a whole different way from Hotaru, and between the two of them Tal felt safer with Ru's knives and magic than Flora's not-so-innocent flirtations!

He trusted Ru to at least patch up any hurts she caused him afterwards.

Her suggestion for his business expansion drew a bark of laughter from him and he shook his head ruefully. "Honestly I need a few less services afore I work myself t'death," he admitted wryly, though that would be the least of his worries if he butchered Hotaru's hair, he knew.

Turning the conversation to knives, he nodded thoughtfully as what she said pulled some of what he'd noticed into sharper clarity. Hearing it put into straightforward, simple words made it easier to understand and he gave a sharper nod and a grimace of agreement to being afraid of getting cut. He leaned back as she continued, squinting up at the blue sky overhead and watching a bird circling above them as she continued. "Guess I didn't think about it that way," he admitted slowly. "So, since I've got longer reach'n you, I'd be better off keepin' you at a distance an' not lettin' you get in close?"
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
She tamps down on the hurt that stirs in her chest at his unintentional wording. Flora had not been 'just one' once upon a time. But he's right in calling her unique, and Ru can't help but chuckle slightly. "If you can believe it I was even worse at her age." Perhaps time will temper her fiery daughter, but Ru would burn the world to keep Flora from having to change to fit into it.

"Have you considered hired hands? There's a risk with not personally attending to everything, but it's what I had to do with the spa." The Academy had become more important, and in the end Hotaru was merely one woman who could not be everywhere at once. She'd had to fire her first manager, but now things were going well in her absence and she only had to check in once or twice a season.

Lifting a wet hand to slick her hair back and cool off her nape, Ru gives him an encouraging smile. "Exactly! Keeping a closed form is helpful too instead of wide swings that expose your chest for someone to step in. Compactness is important in knife fighting for defense, and your longer limbs are helpful to keep others at bay."
HOTARU
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Oblivious to his verbal misstep, Tal gave his friend a look of mock-horror at her revelation, followed by a theatrical shudder. "Frey save us from a teenage Valkyrie," he beseeched the sky - then immediately snuck a shit-eating grin back at Hotaru as they leaned together companionably in the water.

Her suggestion was met with a snort of wry humor followed by a short laugh of resignation. "Everyone's got th'same advice on it, so you're all prob'ly right," he admitted, trailing his fingers through the water beside him. "I've got a lead on a mebbe-'prentice next season..." He grimaced, heaving a sigh. "If we can work t'gether. But, Ru... he's just so nice I dunno what t'do with 'im!" Compared to rough-around-the-edges, see-how-many-feet-I-can-fit-in-my-mouth Tal, Jude was pretty much a saint, and the courier's plaintive admission came with a vaguely hang-dog look as he scowled down at the water between his legs.

The conversation on knives was a relief and Tal threw himself into it whole-heartedly - especially when it involved a little praise from his bestie. "So how would you suggest someone like me fightin' someone like you?" he asked slyly, and definitely not with future spars in mind.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
It's good to move past the hurt and laugh. Like a lesson she has to learn every time it happens, to not linger and instead move forward. "Save us indeed, I shudder to imagine meeting a teenage version of myself." She is grateful for all the ways she has grown even if at times she misses those chaotic, adrenaline-fueled days.

His complaints make her laugh and bump her shoulder against his once more. "You can't suppress your personality in hopes of keeping an apprentice. If he's too soft, merely find another. You're looking for compatibility, not the first option that comes along." Then again Ru has little qualms with hurting someone's feelings, so maybe she isn't the best person to seek advice from.

Which makes it all the more satisfying to merely smirk at his wheedling. "I've given you plenty of tips. If I hand you any more, I'll lose my edge!" And then what would she do? Lose? As if.
HOTARU
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
At least he wasn't the only one who had a healthy fear of a younger version of Ru - even more fearless, ferocious, and merciless in her teasing, Tal was certain! The current version, worldly-wise and tempered like fine steel by experience, was already more than he could handle.

Her laugh lightened his scowl in spite of himself, easing something that had held tight in his chest since the first night he'd held her in the dark. The pain might never leave her entirely, but joy was starting to grow through the cracks again and the sun was finding its way back into her smile. He snorted, rueful but far softer than he might have otherwise, and slanted a wry look at his friend. "Guess there's truth t'that. Well, I'll give 'im a shot an' see how he does." Who knew? Maybe the kid was stronger than he'd seemed that night at the Observatory. And if not, well... Hotaru had struck to the heart of the matter, as always.

Well... mostly. She deflected his own sly query and he mock-scowled at her in disappointment. "You? Th'day you lose your edge, they'll be puttin' you on th'pyre," he scoffed, pushing himself suddenly to his feet in a splash of water. He turned to offer the lady a hand up, scowl melting into a grin like snow in the desert sun. "C'mon, let's grab some plants for th'Greenhouse an' head back. Boreal's waitin' for us!"

~Fin~