iso understanding
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 21 - Int:
TARAK - Mythical - Griffin (Fire Breath)
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
Sohalia Lumaris
The Collegium was quiet and empty, peaceful in a way that Sohalia had not expected. She walked through the towering stacks of books, clutching her bag against her side as she looked up, turning round, inspecting her surroundings with unabashed curiosity. Today, she wore her light blonde hair in a single plait down her back, coiled and pinned at the base of her skull, a few tendrils escaping to frame her pretty face. Her dress was a deep green and of simple, but comfortable, make; her skirts swirled around her ankles as she turned on her heel again, this time just for the joy of spinning.

It was midday, and she wondered if perhaps the library was so deserted because it was lunchtime; she herself had eaten a late breakfast and was ready to spent quite some time in the Collegium. She'd come with questions, and she wasn't planning to leave until she got some answers. It was far past time for her to learn about all the things her guardian had kept her safe from, before she had left home half a year before.

She'd start with the gods, and she sought out a section on the deities of Caido, poring over the books she found there with a practiced eye. She'd learned of the history and geography of Caido in the Greatwood's Undercroft, and it was there that she had found a love of books and learning. Here, though, it was about more than just satisfying her own curiosity. It was about gathering the information she would need in order to live successfully in this world she called home.

Sohalia made a careful selection of one book, then two, then three, and took her small stack over to one of the small tables scattered throughout the library. There she sat down, opened the first of her books, and began to read.
Anju Rao
Captain

Age: 31 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 10 - Int:
RIYA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
In my brightest reverie I can see her walking next to me
I feel her breath upon my cheek, speaking gentle words to tame the beast
The library is deserted around lunchtime, which is precisely why Anju had timed her arrival for this exact hour. While not an avid reader, she had been rebuffed by the local seller where she had obtained the saltwater taffy Ludo had been so enamored by - apparently their taffy recipe was a closely guarded secret, which is exasperating to say the least. So here she is, striding with muted but purposeful thumps of her boots through the familiar aisles as Riya soars over the stacks just overhead, recipe book loosely held in her hand by the spine and thumping against her thigh.

Unwilling to check the book out and risk forgetting to return it, she begins to hunt for one of the tables in the library to sit down and transcribe the singular recipe she needs. Her eyes skirt over the blonde figure in the corner with the express desire to avoid conversation; she should have known it would be a useless endeavor. Riya trills from on high, excitement clear as it thrums across the bond between them, forcefully pulling Anju's attention - alongside a wordless grunt of objection that goes unheeded.

Riya swans down towards the young woman, wings spreading wide to slow her descent and land at the feet of the chair she inhabits. Seconds behind her comes Anju, a stormcloud of a woman with more muscle than facial expressions - aside from the clear disapproval that she aims towards her companion. "Leave her alone, she is clearly reading," she chides her sister, who is already trying to put her claws up on the armrest of the girl's chair to nose at the book in her hand.
Anju
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Sohalia Lumaris
Sohalia read quickly, her eyes skimming over page after page. At this stage of her studies, she was interested in general information more so than the details, and so she flipped through pages almost haphazardly, absorbing bits and pieces of information about the gods as she went. There was Caido, the god of all, for whom their world was named; Vi and Mort, the gods of life and death, respectively. Mort, at least, she knew as the god that had blessed her with her attuned form. Then there was Rae, the god of nature, and Dygra, the goddess of entropy.

Beyond the gods of Caido were the heralds: Safrin, Ludo, and Frey. Soh wasn't entirely clear on what made gods gods and heralds heralds, but perhaps further reading could enlighten her. The new gods included the Voice, who Soh remembered from her conversation about the War with Tal, and the Core, which was a new name to the young woman. And then there were the seasonal deities, with whom she was most familiar.

All this and more, Soh reveled in, devouring page after page as though she would never be able to visit the library again. It was in this state that the dragon found her, the trill coming only a few moments before the creature landed at Soh's feet, startling her from her trance. "Oh!" she exclaimed in surprise, then laughed. "Well, hello!" The silly thing began to climb up on her chair. It was followed by a woman with a stormy expression, who chastised the dragon for interrupting. "Oh, no - it's fine! I welcome the distraction." Soh smiled brightly, hoping to diffuse any tension between dragon and mistress.
Anju Rao
Captain

Age: 31 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Riya takes clear encouragement from the young woman's delight, her overlarge body wriggling like an excited dog's as she thrusts her scaly snout between the book and the woman's arm, hoping to force it atop her head for scratches and pets. Anju meanwhile crosses her arms, the recipe book laughably out of place as she frowns down at her sister - badly hiding the discomfort on her face, embarrassed as always by her companion's far more sociable nature. "If you give her even a moment of attention, it will be more than a brief distraction. She is incorrigible." The monotone bluntness of her words is laughably underscored by Riya's pleased trill, clearly confirming the accusation.

Sighing, the Dragoon shifts uncomfortably for a moment, reluctant to curse the poor young girl with her...her-ness. "It is her way of forcing me to socialize. She insists it's good for my health." Something Anju blatantly disagrees with considering it always gives her a stomach ache. Tilting her chin in a militaristic fashion, her arms flex with thick muscle as she uncrosses them to place her solitary book on the table. "I am Anju. This is Riya."
Anju
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia Lumaris
Sohalia giggled as the dragon squirmed between her and her book, and she sat the tome down on the table, open to the page she'd been reading, in order to focus her attention more squarely on the creature that was slowly wriggling her way into the young woman's lap. The dragon trilled happily, and Soh did her best to scratch and pet the creature wherever it seemed that she most enjoyed it. When she glanced up at the dragon's mistress, however, she noted the clear discomfort on the woman's face and swallowed her giggles. "That's alright," she said easily. "The books aren't going anywhere, and I'm always happy to make new friends." With this last line, she tickled the dragon's snout, grinning at the newest addition to her growing list of said friends.

"I'm Sohalia," the young woman said, stretching a hand across empty space - and around wriggling dragon - to offer it to Anju. "It's a pleasure to meet you both." She paused, waiting for a handshake - should it be forthcoming - before returning her attention to petting the dragon. "It's my first time here - isn't it wonderful? I'm researching the gods. I don't know much about them - at least, not as much as everyone else seems to know." She laughed, then realized she was rambling and that she should allow the woman to get a word in. "What brings you to the library today?"
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
Riya is clearly pleased as Sohalia puts her book down to better focus on the petting and scratching that she demands. It's a miracle she can get her arm around the dragon at all to present it for a shake - not that Riya doesn't try and prevent it, the little attention sap that she is. Or perhaps it is reverse psychology, as Anju reaches to take Sohalia's hand (gently, because the girl looks rather...breakable) if only to keep it from attending to the needy dragon.

"A noble cause. Stormbreak is full of only Accepted and Attuned - we once revered ourselves as closest to the gods, and the most knowledgeable of them. There are plenty of books filled with personal accounts of meeting the heralds here." They would be found in the handwritten section, so if it piqued Sohalia's interest she would have a starting point.

Glancing down at her own book, Anju grimaces slightly. "Ludo gave me a quest. I brought it taffy as a token, and it asked for me to hand-make some for when I return. The shopkeeper would not tell me their recipe, so I am writing down the one I found." Unaware of how difficult she makes further conversation with her simplistic answers, Anju merely turns her eyes back to Sohalia and her purring sister-companion, at a loss as to how to regain control of a creature she has never really had control of her entire life.
Anju
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia Lumaris
Her hand shaken, Sohalia offered a smile as she returned her attention to the dragon. She was remarkably unbothered by the creature's wriggling excitement; though she hadn't a companion of her own, she had always loved animals, and she was particularly fond of the exuberant ones, like Riya. "Does she like jerky?" asked Soh, who had begun keeping some in her bag after the last time she'd run into Tal and Boreal and learned that Boreal loved snacks.

Sohalia perked up at the mention of personal accounts of the heralds. "Oh, wonderful!" She looked at the stack of books she'd found thus far; they were more historical than anything, and rather dry to read. "I'm sure those will be much more interesting than these." Of course, she would probably read both; personal accounts were more likely to be opinionated, and she wanted both fact and opinion in her quest for knowledge.

Anju's book, as it turned out, was a recipe for taffy. "How marvelous!" Soh exclaimed, intrigued by the notion. "What's Ludo like? Are you going to try to make some? Do you need any help?" In some ways, Soh was just as earnest as Riya, and the overall tone of the young woman's queries was certainly that of an overeager puppy.
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
Anju's lips part in some semblance of answer, but Riya makes some god-awful noise of excitement that has ember-sparks popping between her teeth, making Anju wince. "Riya we're in the library," she hisses, palm finding its way to her forehead in exasperation. "She'd eat stones if they had any amount of seasoning on them. I insist it's why she's so abnormally large for a dragon." Which effectively means 'go for it'.

Eyeing the historical books Sohalia has scattered on the table, Anju quirks a tiny smile. "I find them boring too sometimes," she confides, though she has read most of them herself. While not much of a reader, she is a woman of extreme faith - which is why she's more than willing to share her experience with Ludo. "Ludo is a deceptively playful entity. It can sometimes have a fittingly dark sense of humor. Humanity can be understandably small to the heralds, and it can have a childlike outlook of seeing us as playthings. But Mort is defined by his love for all of us, and Ludo is much the same; I always leave the shrine feeling happier, more fulfilled." It is the most amount of words she has spoken yet, and it's clear by the gentle look on the Dragoon's face that her devotion to Ludo is not without its reasons.

"It seems to be a rather simple set of ingredients, so I will attempt to try today. You are welcome to join me - though it will be in my home." It would be up to Sohalia to determine her level of comfort with that notion.
Anju
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia Lumaris
Stifling a laugh, Soh dug through the bag she wore at her hip to find the jerky that she'd mentioned. She held it out to the dragon carefully, not entirely sure she wouldn't get accidentally bitten by the exuberant creature. She remembered how she'd treated excited dogs as a child, when they would try and snatch treats from her hand. "Now, be gentle," she told the dragon with a raised brow and a smile. Whether or not it worked, well, that was something else entirely.

At the news that Anju was familiar with Ludo, Soh lit up, her worries about the dragon in her lap entirely forgotten. "I think you're the first person I've met with a relationship with Ludo. Most I've talked to work with Frey, in one of their aspects." Her eyes shone with excitement. "Thank you for telling me about it! It's so much more interesting to hear from actual people instead of these old books." Not that the books weren't interesting... in their own way. They just weren't as exciting as people!

With regard to the taffy, Sohalia tilted her head to one side to consider. She wasn't the most cautious of beings, with very little real world experience under her belt to dissuade her from trusting strangers. So it took but a moment for her to smile brightly at Anju. "I wouldn't wish to impose," she said. "But if you wouldn't mind the company, I am quite curious about this taffy."
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
Despite her exuberance, Riya is quite gentle, having learned that it often inspired people to be repeat-treaters. At least until they realized how many snacks were disappearing into the stomach of a dragon who wasn't even their own companion. Luckily, Sohalia is fresh meat. And her dried meat is even better!

Anju's smile is a little warmer this time around at the clear exuberance. "Frey is quite popular, mostly because they are very open-minded and forgiving, even to Abandoned. Ludo can be a bit mean in its mischief, so they could be called opposites." Anju had always liked that honesty and dedication to its values though, and most others felt the same. "You're welcome. Do you intend to seek any of the heralds yourself?" Perhaps that's what all the literature was for, preemptive investigation.

"No imposition," she confirms in her normal plain, blunt way. "You may take some home if you help. The kneading and stretching can be annoying alone I have read." The implication hanging unspoken that she would quite appreciate the help actually. But frankly she feels like she has said so much in the past few minutes that she allows herself not to verbalize that sentiment. "You can check out anything you want to bring. I won't be staying any longer myself." Riya cranes her head backwards to stare, unimpressed, at Anju for the way she'd worded that, but the Dragoon merely shrugs back. What? It's true, isn't it? It's not like she's outright rushing the girl!
Anju
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia Lumaris
Soh was more than happy to provide treats and scratches to the dragon, having a particular soft spot for the creatures thanks to her (thus far) very positive experiences with them. She snuck an additional piece of jerky to Riya with a small smile for the dragon. For a moment, the young woman felt a pang of envy. What must it be like to have a companion with whom one shared a special bond? But the moment quickly passed, as she certainly didn't harbor any grudge towards those who had their own companions. She simply wondered if perhaps she would ever be so lucky.

"I'm not sure," she said in response to Anju's question about the heralds. "I'm rather drawn to Frey, myself - their nature aspect, anyway." She was also a bit curious about their sexual aspect, but she didn't admit that out loud. "But we'll see how I feel after I learn a bit more."

Soh perked up at the offer to take some taffy home. It sounded like a great deal of fun, helping to make it, and then to share in the spoils? "It's a deal," she said with a grin. She began to close and stack her books, selecting a few to take with her and setting most of them aside to put back on the shelves. "Give me just a moment to put these away, and I'll be right behind you!"
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
Riya eagerly takes the additional treat with a clever swipe of her tongue, careful not to use her teeth too liberally. Then - clearly aware of the agreement between the women - she retreated off the girl's lap to trot back to Anju's side, practically radiating smugness. Anju staunchly ignores her, refusing to feed into her antics no matter how soft they made her heart in private. "Frey's nature persona is quite popular. Especially among the Fae. If you ever need tips on what to bring for offerings however, I am happy to give advice about Ludo." She couldn't speak on the other heralds, and likely would never desire to.

Anju nods shortly and heads to the entrance of the library, waiting for Sohalia to join her before opening the doors. Riya shoots off into the sky immediately, and Anju rolls her eyes fondly before guiding the young woman through the adjacent streets to her home. It's a small abode with few decorations on the outside and no plants, merely her last name emblazoned by the door for couriers. Unlocking it and inviting Sohalia inside, the Dragoon closes the door behind them and removes her shoes and coat. "Please take your shoes off. Do you like tea or coffee?" Perfunctory as always, she heads straight to the kitchen to set the kettle to utilize the hot water for whichever Sohalia desires. Allowing the young woman to wander the main floor at her leisure; a loveseat with a dark orange blanket sat opposite the fireplace, a tiny eating nook nestled in the window alcove, a bookcase and modest kitchen with an island. Functional and not much more. The ingredients for the taffy sit in orderly lines on the island like soldiers awaiting orders.
Anju
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia Lumaris
"Thank you," said Sohalia, meaning it. She would certainly gather as much information as she could before approaching any of the heralds, so Anju's offer of advice was welcome. The young woman hurried to gather her things and followed her new friend through the streets of Stormbreak to a small, simple home with 'Rao' emblazoned beside the door. It was otherwise unremarkable, but Sohalia looked it over with interest anyway. She'd no home of her own, and it was always interesting to see the homes of others.

Inside, Soh removed her shoes and set them neatly by the door. "Tea, please," she said, following Anju to the kitchen as she looked around. She saw a cozy-looking loveseat with an orange blanket, a fireplace, an eating nook in a window alcove - that was a feature she loved immediately - and a bookcase, aside from the modest kitchen. "You have a lovely home," Soh said cheerfully. "Do you enjoy the eating nook? I love the little window."
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
She is a biddable young woman, which Anju can respect. In fact her soldiers would do well to learn a lesson or two from Sohalia. As a reward, Anju begins setting about making the girl's tea immediately, grabbing a cup for herself as well considering her own ambivalence to the decision. Filling the strainers with the loose leaf tea (she is far too picky for the cheaper, bagged options in Stormbreak) and letting them begin to steep, Anju steps out of the kitchen with arms folded habitually behind her back to observe Sohalia's explorations.

"Thank you. I had it customized when I bought it to fit my needs and have never regretted it." The nook especially, which Sohalia also seems to appreciate. "I do, immensely. I enjoy eating while dawn breaks, so it intentionally faces the east." While she is not a voracious reader she usually enjoys the local paper as well, or one of the books on her bookcase.

Glancing back at the tea and estimating it has steeped appropriately, she invites Sohalia to the island with a jut of her chin and takes the vessels out so they may drink. "The taffy has few ingredients and is quickly made; the most difficult part will be stretching and rolling it. Let me know when you are ready to begin."
Anju