Shot in the dark
Open! (Safrin quest task)
Jude Quinn
Singer

Age: 19 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Jude
There are barriers up here that Jude isn’t familiar with, metaphysical ones he can feel without touching his hands to them. They resonate with hurt, and though Jude wants to leech the pain out of them he doesn’t know how. “No…but I’m sorry for you. Heart too big for his gangly frame at times. “My Maman has been missing for almost a year. I can’t imagine -” except he can, because he does. Imagines she’s dead, lost forever, and they’ll never know for sure. He isn’t sure if that’s worse than imagining she left because she simply doesn’t want to be in their lives anymore.

Catching his tongue lightly between his teeth to put a stop to that thought and sentence alike, he takes the distraction where it’s offered - for both of their sakes. He’s far from offended by Tal’s staunch dedication to defending his home at Torchline’s expense, only giggling quietly at the sudden vibrancy of emotion. “I’ve never been to the other lands. I like the heat, but I burn easy.” Unlike both his parents who seemed like golden gods to him. Or maybe Phoebe’s glamor merely concealed her sunburns. “I haven’t picked an apprenticeship yet. It’s hard when I have to split my schooling between lands - nobody really wants to invest in training me if I can’t stay the whole season.” Which was why he was so often seeking out knowledge on his own; in books, people, and the world around him.
stop trying to keep this alive
you're pointing at stars in the sky that already died
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 10 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 52 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
He heard pity in the kid's voice and Tal's jaw clenched against the outburst that pushed against his teeth. Yelling at someone who looked half his age wouldn't make him feel better. Not for more than a heartbeat, at least. But when Jude didn't drop it the courier pushed himself up on his elbow, ready to pack it up and head out.

Of course, hearing that his mother was missing made the courier feel like a proper ass a moment later and he subsided in discomfort to stare up at the stars as an excuse to avoid analyzing his own mixed emotions over the exchange.

At least talk of Halo helped to center him and lift his mood, if only by tickling his competitive streak. "You'll burn easier in Halo," Tal admitted, almost proudly. "But if you're wearin' all your proper layers it'll protect most of you from it." The cold and the punishing sun that reflected from snow and ice as well as piercing down from the sky above.

He could understand the difficulty of Jude's potential employers. Though airships had revolutionized travel between regions it still wasn't instantaneous. Of course, his conversation with Ronin echoed in his thoughts as well and he scowled up at the glittering stars, so dangerously close on a night like this and under this particular sky. "What about a travelin' 'prenticeship?" he tested cautiously.
Jude Quinn
Singer

Age: 19 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Jude
Jude subsides immediately as Tal sits up abruptly, aware he has suffered a misstep somehow but unsure where or how badly. When the courier doesn't immediately leave he assumes it's not a level he can't come back from, and shakily exhales his relief. Another day without putting his foot too far into his mouth.

"Why would I burn?" Pure, innocent curiosity tinges the question. "I thought there'd be a lot of clouds with all the snow." And while he's becoming rather well-traveled, Jude hadn't aged until after winter had passed, and hasn't seen any of the Wilds coated in snow yet either.

On the coattails of that curiosity comes real intrigue and perhaps a tinge of excitement. "Really? That's an option? I would love that!" Realizing his voice is overly loud (to him, because it really isn't even in the empty space) Jude subsides and tucks his hands tighter against his sternum to control his eagerness. "I do a lot of traveling already, I like exploring all the new lands. Do you know much about it?" Perhaps he had done it himself, or knew a potential mentor.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Halo was a safer topic for the courier to focus on, and he eased his head back a bit further into the pillow of his arms with only a small wince for the growing lump on his skull. "Huh. Figured, bein' from Torchline an' all..." He trailed off with a grumbling sigh and gathered his words. "Sunlight bounces off water like it's a mirror, yeah? 'Cept if it's frozen water, like ice, it can kinda... um. Magnify, it." He knew he was doing a terrible job explaining and scowled up at the starry sky. "So if there's snow an' ice everywhere it's like the world turns into a gigantic mirror that's just bouncin' sunlight around an' intensifyin' the burn if you're out in it unprotected. Like bein' on the ocean, but worse." Not that Tal traveled on the ocean, but he flew over it plenty when he was in the Peregrine! And he'd listened to the tales of sea-sailors turned sky-sailors while he was 'prenticin' with them to learn how to sail his own little boat.

The segue was natural after that, but at Jude's excitement Tal winced again, realizing he'd opened a can of potential worms. Still, Ronin's words came back to him...

"Sure, I mean, I'm a courier an' all," he said, voice gruff. "Deliverin' packages an' letters takes me all over Caido. There's bein' a skyship sailor, too. I did a skyshpi 'prenticeship for a year, learnin' how t'sail. But y'probly better finish schoolin' first. How long d'you have left, anyways?"
Jude Quinn
Singer

Change author:
Jude
It's not a bad explanation at all; Jude has suffered far worse teachers than Talyson, though he's unaware that it's a backhanded compliment even in his head. Whether to his teachers or Talyson is up for debate. Considering his schooling has been split in two different regions and has involved a lot of surprise aging, it could be either.

"Oh...well I guess it's lucky it's cold then, makes it easier to cover up," he murmurs contemplatively. It would be better than sweating and burning in his opinion. Usually living in Torchline involves a lot of sunhats for Jude. He doesn't mind them from a fashion standpoint, but they don't sound helpful in Halo.

"I only have this season left." He'd finished a little early given his father's tutoring. It's difficult to bite back his excitement at the prospect of an apprenticeship, but Talyson's blatant discomfort makes it easier. "Would you...want to take me on?" It's a tentative question, and Jude's hands grip each other tighter over his navel. "O-Or if you can tell me who you did the skyship apprenticeship with that would help!" He bails immediately, giving Tal an out if he so desires it, unable to be so plainly forthright. Staring unblinking at the stars, Jude doesn't even bother trying to fight the tension in his shoulders against the floorboards, aware it's a losing battle.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Jude's murmured observation didn't seem to really need a response, so Tal just nodded - and then winced, regretting it - and kept his eyes on the sky as the talk turned to life choices and careers. Education on Caido could be so hit or miss that he had no idea where on the spectrum the kid fell, but he certainly looked old enough to be almost done with it.

And then came The Question. The courier's hands tensed beneath his head, his stomach tightening as he swallowed hard. Sure, he'd kind of expected it when he saw the direction the conversation was going, but there'd always been the chance that he was jumping to conclusions. It was something he had a lot of practice at, after all.

"...Um," he began, with his usual tact and charm. "I... uh. Funny story..." He remembered Ronin's advice, and Alys's divination, and his own floundering under so much work in these times of peace and increased travel thanks to the skyship  network... "...Maybe?" He exhaled heavily as Boreal let out a sleepy, smoky chortle between them, amused at her human's conflict. "I mean, not 'til y'finish your schoolin', for sure," Tal hastened to qualify. He bit his lip, chewing it uncertainly as the gruff note remained in his voice. At least he managed not to squirm, using the ache in his head to remind himself to stay still. "An' y'might change your mind. Y'don't even know me. Y'might decide y'hate me after a few days aboard the Peregrine." Certainly plenty of other people found his awkward bluster to be grating at best. "But if - if - we work well together... I mean... I am lookin' for a 'prentice so... It's a definite maybe."
Jude Quinn
Singer

Change author:
Jude
Jude is luckily a patient young man, so Talyson's hemming and hawing is something he can wait out without complaints. Though it does eat a bit at his anxiety, which insists the man is trying to pawn Jude off on anyone else if it means not offering him an apprenticeship directly - surely due to a failing he perceives in Jude. (He is astonishingly close to the truth, though he is far meaner to himself in his head than what might be truly transpiring)

Trying to temper his excitement lest he scare off his potential, maybe, sort-of new mentor, Jude merely smiles at the sky. "I can do maybe," he assures, far more firmly than any of his previous utterances. "Next season I can find you in Halo and we can see where it goes?" Surely the man's name would be well known, so Jude is relatively confident in his future ability to find Tal.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Responsibility didn't frighten Tal. He'd been bearing up under it since he'd taken over his aunt's courier route in Halo, delivering supplies and tradegoods to the tribes out on the Tundra and the Sea of Glass at a fairly tender young age. Even responsibility for the dogs in his sled team had come naturally to the often-taciturn young man.

But responsibility for another human being? One younger than he was?

Truth be told, it scared the hail out of him.

But artificially aged up or not, the kid was technically almost an adult. Would be, really, as soon as he finished his schooling. If 'prenticing to the courier was what he wanted to do, well...

He was probably crazy. But Tal wasn't going to argue too hard about the opportunity that had been dropped in his lap. Long as he didn't accidentally make Jude cry, well... maybe it would be good enough?

"That sounds good," Tal agreed as Boreal rumbled her approval at her human's acceptance of the inevitable. "Can take some test flights. Y'can shadow me an' see how it goes. See if it's somethin' y'like enough t'stick with me long enough t'learn the ropes." And who knew? Maybe it would end up like Soh; an unexpectedly good mix of opposites.

Or maybe they'd crash and burn. Only time would tell.

But the shooting star overhead that punctuated his gruff offer seemed like a good omen.

~Fin~