{se} a friend like me
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
HARPER
“I’m pretty clueless on Dygra myself, but Edmund’s devotion to her and choice to become an Ancient has given me a small amount of insight.” The firsthand experience makes him more amenable to the goddess, but everyone was understandably hesitant given she’d appeared after The Voice was defeated.

He notices how she stiffens slightly, but intentionally chooses not to comment or linger on it. The only way they can truly rekindle their friendship is by moving past these awkward moments intentionally and embracing the hard parts with open arms. As he stirs the sauce and the noodles he checks in on where she’s at with the chicken, and lowers the flame to keep it at a simmer until she’s done. “Maybe,” he laughs, cheeks a little pink. He’s too humble to consider himself that important just yet, but the idea is appealing. “Do you have any idea of a council for yourself?”
some things take insane bravery
but after that, you'll be free
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
"Has he said anything about her?" she asked, curious what Edmund's take on the goddess was given he had chosen to become an Ancient. She wasn't sure how much he had confided in his adopted father though. Frankly she didn't know much about his relationship with Edmund. Or Edmund at all. Just that Jude was partial to him and so she was therefore partial to him.

The chicken was moving along at a steady pace, and she kept a close eye on it as she prepared the spicy honey glaze for it. "Maybe." she parroted with a laugh. Harper didn't know how important he was. He never had. Sometimes his modesty was maddening. "No. There isn't really many people to choose from. And traditionally the affairs of the Greatwood are handled by one person." she said, shrugging a bit. But it was a bit scary thinking of taking it all on on her own.
the nightingale
laughter is the language of the soul
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
HARPER
“I haven’t pried given he ran away because of it, but they call her Mother as far as I know. So she seems to have a more maternal presence.” Though the similarities to The Voice still made him slightly uncomfortable for that very reason. He cares for Edmund like another son, and he and Jude were thicker than thieves, so he cannot help but worry about the sudden shift in allegiances.

“True, but maybe that needs to change. Have you thought of hosting a party or event just to get people to visit and see the place?” The Greatwood had always struggled in terms of their leadership, so maybe it would be best to overhaul it entirely. Mimic the regions that were currently succeeding, even if it meant poaching a few citizens.

Turning and reclining back against the counter, hands relaxed on the edge behind him, he watches her work with the chicken and merely takes a moment to appreciate the return of easy conversation between them.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
"I don't like that." Phoebe admitted as she tossed the chicken in the honey sauce. "It makes it sound...cult like rather than a god and devotee." Which to her were two very different things. Frey advised and guided her, but rarely prescribed things. A mother though? Part of the job was prescribing doctrine so your child could flourish in society.

"I hadn't." she said. "But I'm not sure people would come. All of the things that make the Greatwood wonderful aren't as...flashy as what the other regions have." The Greatwood was tranquil and mysterious. But Stormbreak was god blessed, Torchline one big party, Halo a frozen wasteland but filled with activity. They only place they had a one up on was the Hollowed Grounds. "But do you think something like that would help?" she asked, pouring the glazed chicken into a bowl.
the nightingale
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
“I’m…torn on it. Many people refer to the heralds that way even if we don’t ourselves.” He’s not sure how the heralds feel about it or react to it in person, but then again he’s never uttered those sentiments himself. “But then again, when I first came to Caido, everyone seemed cult-like to me.” Too close to modern zealotry and religion, especially with the divide between the New and Old Gods. It had taken a lot of time and firsthand experience for him to see the nuanced differences, but some things never seemed to change when it came to humans.

“I think it would! Think about it, it’s the perfect season - heat of summer, and plenty of places to swim in the Greatwood to cool down.” Torchline’s bonfires and beach parties were always a wild success, maybe she could replicate it. “And if you’re truly desperate you can offer a prize or gift for a randomized attendee. Greed is a good initial motivator.”
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
"The Heralds don't prescribe that we call them that though." she pointed out. It seemed that since all the Ancients called her that that it was required. That didn't sit well with her. But at Harper's next comment she laughed. "Including me?" she said with raised brows. "You must've had some strange cults in your world." she added with a grin.

Phoebe pulled down plates for the food to be served on as she listened to Harper. "You're right. It might work." she said with a smile. "But I should probably wait until I am actually in charge." It was hard to entice people away from stability to an unstable land. But once she was officially the leader...it was definitely something to consider.
the nightingale
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
He concedes the point lightly. “True, but we don’t know she requires it either. There are very few Ancients, so even if they all do it, the statistics are a little biased.” Not that he feels any desire to defend Dygra given he doesn’t know her, but it’s a comfortable topic to debate - especially given her response which makes him laugh. “Most of the cults in my homeland were based on religion, so…yes. Even you.” It’s spoken fondly, not meaning any offense. It wasn’t like he hadn’t come to be devoted to Safrin himself.

As she pulls down the plates he uncovers the noodles and cuts the flame fully, beginning to serve it and reserving a large portion for both Jude when he came home and the leftovers for Dygra. “You don’t necessarily need to host it as a leader, anyone can post on the notice boards. But if you did, you could use the opportunity to advertise it as a time for people to ask questions about the new government.” Like an open forum, but with swimming and snacks.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
"I suppose." she said with a sigh, also conceding the point. Frankly, neither of them knew enough about Dygra to make any judgement calls. It was all just guessing in the dark. She smirked at him as he confirmed he had considered her a cultist. "Oh yes, the cult of Frey is very strong indeed." she said in exaggeration with a laugh. Frey would likely balk at a cult made for them.

She too set aside enough chicken for Jude and the festival, then looked to Harper. "How do you think it is served?" she asked, unsure how the two dishes came together on a plate.

Phoebe considered his words and nodded. "It's a smart idea. I'll start planning something." she said with a smile. "Thank you for your help. Sometimes I wonder if I am really up to the task." she said. She was just a midwife after all. She knew nothing of military strategy or politics. She just knew she wanted to help the place that had become her safe haven flourish.
the nightingale
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Choosing to stick his tongue out at her cheekily instead of continuing the thread of conversation down the rabbithole of cults and what constituted them, he gestures her to bring the chicken closer to focus instead on the food. "The chicken is usually cut in strips but all held together so they fall neatly like dominoes on top of the pasta, but so long as it's on top I don't think it matters!" It would all get incorporated eventually, whether on the plate or in their stomachs.

Fetching the silverware - which takes looking for a few drawers in the spots he knows she normally keeps them - he returns and hands her a fork with an encouraging smile. "Most of the political know-how can be learned as you go. So long as you have a passion for the job, it will carry you through the growing pains of learning a new career." And considering she has plenty of passion to spare on top of being considerably bright despite her outlook on herself, Harper is confident she will flourish in the role.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe nodded at his instruction and set to work. First she prepped each plate with a pile of pasta. Then she cut the chicken and carefully placed it on top, letting it fan out naturally. "Pretty!" she said in delight. Save for sweets, her food usually couldn't be called pretty, just delicious. Picking up both the plates, she carried them to the table. "What do you want to drink? I've water, lemonade, and ale." Then she smirked. "And some whiskey if you'd prefer."

Whatever he said, she set about procuring it. "I suppose I have changed careers a lot." she admitted. Being a midwife was a constant, but she had run a medical college and brothel too. Maybe she had more to offer than she gave herself credit for. "I would hope to make good connections with Hadama. There is nearly as much water here as in Torchline, certainly some merfolk would like living here." she said setting his glass down.
the nightingale
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Trailing behind her to the table after putting the leftovers away for both Jude and Dygra (separated ahead of time so their voracious child wouldn't mistake the doubled serving as his alone) Harper barks a laugh at the offer of alcohol. "Not sure we want to invite the same reaction as last time," he chuckles, ears a little pink with shame even as he takes it in stride lightheartedly. "Though the skyboat pilots would have a laugh at me getting sick in the air." Which would be hilarious from the outside, but not if he was the one hanging over the side providing the entertainment. "Lemonade would be great though." The temperature is milder inside, but the heat is undeniable.

"I don't know how many Mer live outside the kingdom actually, that's a great point!" Maybe it would be a pool of potential future citizens for her to tap into. "Alliances seem to be rather lacking in Caido since they're not often fruitful. Would you reach out to any of the other lands?" Pulling out her chair habitually, he seats himself across from her and twirls his fork, eager to dig in.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe laughed at his reaction, glad he took it in stride rather than getting defensive. "I'd feel sorry for any passersby below the skyboat though." she said with a snicker. Honey chicken vomit just falling from the sky. Oh the joys of life in Caido. But she obliged him and brought him some freshmade lemonade instead, opting for some herself as well. "I really wonder where Jude got off to. Maybe he has more friends we don't know about." she said with a grin as she sat.

The Nightingale considered his question as she twirled some noodles onto her fork. "Halo would be a good one. They are flourishing but that's thanks to Frey's influence. They could still use more produce and herbs and such, especially right before Deepfrost." And the Greatwood had plenty to spare, fruitful as it was. "Some Stormbreak architects would be good for improving infrastructure too. That might make the Greatwood seem less...uninhabitable to people."
the nightingale
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Laughing because he’d had the exact same visual image, Harper gratefully accepts the lemonade and takes a quick sip before they get the food situated. “We can only hope right?” It would be preferable to the boy exploring the wilds under the guise of curiosity when he was really just looking for Maeve. Harper had contended with that for a while after he’d first aged up and it had broken his heart.

“And their own efforts - don’t offend them preemptively,” he cautions playfully with a wink as he twirls a bit of noodle around his fork tines before skewering a section of chicken. Maybe it’s just his own interaction with Talyson, but Halovians seemed the prideful sort, and Frey’s involvement had been theirs to seek out. Just as he wouldn’t credit Safrin for all of Torchline’s advancements. “I think more buildings that are accessible and more familiar to tourists would be helpful. It can be easy to see all the Fae homes and wonder how in the world you’d ever live here without months of labor and ground breaking.” Taking his first bite, he makes an appreciative noise immediately, pleased to see the food had turned out perfectly.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
"So long as he is recruiting those friends to live here." she said with a laugh. Phoebe took a bite of the food too and brightened, cheeks turning a shade of pink as the slight heat hit her tongue. "Mmm! This is delicious! I'll need to copy the recipe!" she said once she swallowed. It was spicy and sweet at the same time, not a flavor combination she was used to but found she enjoyed.

"Well I wouldn't say it like that to their faces." she said with a grin. She knew better than to give all the credit to the gods, even if it was their magic that made things work in the end. Rarely did any of the gods just give things.

"What do you think the Greatwood could offer Torchline?" she asked. He was the closest thing to a leader in Torchline at the moment. "I don't think we would want anything too different from what the Fae built though. Just...more." She wasn't sure how to describe it. It was only a half baked idea in her head at the moment.
the nightingale