{se} a friend like me
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
HARPER
"He's pretty charming, though he insists he's not," Harper reassures with a laugh. People seemed to gravitate towards Jude despite the boy's desire to be overlooked most days. Harper blames himself and Phoebe both; they have 'come talk to me' faces. Jude was merely cursed with the collective results. Grinning as her cheeks go a bit pink with heat (he'd toned down the recipe significantly for today given his own preference for far spicier fare) Harper takes another bite and has to smother a chuckle with a mouthful of noodles at her mischievous mention of Halo.

As for what the Greatwood could offer, he has to consider that for a moment. "Hadama mentioned there's an algae that grows here that can be used for people to breathe underwater. If you can grow it and trade it, it would be a huge hit in Torchline." Though she might have to race Hadama for the honor depending on how viable a solution it would be for landwalkers to visit the Underwater Kingdom. "Given the environmental differences too, there could be a good trade market on the table for edible plants and specifically minerals. Like gold." Here he gives her a pointed look. Smugglers would go crazy for it, the black market as a whole really, and while she could do it above board it would be a huge boost for the Greatwood to tap into a resource he hasn't seen the Fae care to investigate.
some things take insane bravery
but after that, you'll be free
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
"Maybe I'll put him in charge of recruiting citizens then." she joked, knowing her son would likely rather do anything else. Perhaps someday he would learn that his charm was an asset and not a curse.

"I think I've heard of that algae actually. I'm sure it can't be terrible difficult to cultivate." she said. What with all the water that now filled the Greatwood. You could throw a rock and likely hit a place that such algae could grow. But as for gold? Phoebe raised a brow. "I'm not sure there is gold in the Greatwood." she said, giving him a look that said tell me what you know that I don't. If such a resource was actually plentiful in the Greatwood, it would serve as a serious boon to the region.
the nightingale
laughter is the language of the soul
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
HARPER
"Especially with all the Fae to help and advise? I think it would be a great idea. Maybe you can even cultivate a strain that doesn't have the ear-ringing side effect?" It would take either magical help or carefully hybridized breeding, but then they could have a market for those that could compete with the locally sourced algae in Torchline. It seems a little backwards to be helping her out in competing with his home region's economy, but nobody ever said nepotism wasn't effective.

As for gold...

"The Fae never mined anything, and with the Greatwood breaking apart I'm confident you'll find all sorts of raw metals. Gold is very frequently found in rivers and streams, which you now have an excess of." Not that the war's effects were something to celebrate, but they could take advantage where they needed. "Plus since it's untapped, there's probably a lot already in the rivers without needing to do excavation." Shrugging, Harper takes another bite and chews leisurely as he considers his words. "It's at least something to look into! Even if I'm wrong."
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe leaned back in her chair, listening to Harper in silence. He had sound advice and reasoning behind it. It just had to be put into action...and for that the Greatwood needed to be organized under a leader again. And as the days passed, it seemed more and more likely that it would be her. No one else seemed interested or had put in as much effort into building the place up as she had.

"You've given me a lot to consider." she said with a grin. Too much almost. She wasn't as used to this leadership thing as he was. But she stood, her plate now empty, and took it to the sink. "I just hope I am cut out for it. The Greatwood needs someone competent." she said and smiled at him. "Like you." she said jokingly. She knew he was interested in the leadership of Torchline.
the nightingale
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
A little behind her in finishing his food given how much he'd been talking (not the first time that has happened, oops) Harper takes a moment to clear his plate before standing and following her to the sink to deposit it inside, edging her out of the way with his hip so he can start cleaning them. It's an activity he has always found quite calming, so he has never minded taking it upon himself.

"Sorry, I hope it wasn't too much. But you know you can always write or visit if you want someone to bounce ideas off of." He's not nearly arrogant enough to say she can come to him specifically for advice. Phoebe is more than capable in her own right, so long as she can believe in herself. Though it seems she's insistent on believing in him instead, which makes him chuckle. "You know the deal - if I lose the election I'll come crawling with my bags packed. Or if Safrin does not approve." His goddess giving him a different path would be the only thing that would change his mind even if he was already voted in.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe remembered Harper's preference to wash dishes. At first she had protested it, but the modern man would get what he wanted in the end. So she stepped aside, instead piling dishes up for him to easily grab. Then she grabbed a towel, ready to help by drying the dishes at least.

"On the verge of too much." she said with a laugh. But just the thought of getting the government going at all was enough to overwhelm her at times. "You'd best be careful with what you offer. I just might take you up on it." she said with a grin. That he might lose the election though? She scoffed. "There is no way you'll lose. Not with your connection to the previous Queen and the King of the Merfolk." she said.
the nightingale
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
It's an easy rhythm to fall into, one that is achingly familiar. Harper hands her the dishes one by one, and takes his time with them - there weren't many to begin with, even with what they'd dirtied to cook the meal, and he knows he will be leaving soon after they are dealt with. It makes it easier to linger a little, chat a while longer.

Laughing, Harper hands her a plate. "I wouldn't offer if I wasn't fully willing, just don't write too much that it won't fit in the mailbox!" Grinning, he turns back to the sink and tries not to focus on the way his ears turn pink beneath the force of her faith in him. "I hope so. But at the end of the day, I want to do what Safrin commands. I wonder if Hadama consulted her prior to this." Likely not. It's a rather mundane, human affair, but he can't help but wonder if his goddess will approve if he does win. He has only seen her once after the war, for his current quest. Not nearly enough.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
As Phoebe dried each piece of flatware and pans and plates she put them away in their respective cabinets. It was an achingly familiar routine, one that made her stomach clench with discomfort. But this was part of the healing process she supposed; discomfort until the routines became platonic instead of memories of intimacy.

"That sounds like a challenge." she said with a smirk as she stacked some dishes. "Perhaps I will send my questions one word at a time and you will be tasked with putting them together like a puzzle." she said with a mischievous grin. But then she laughed, ensuring he knew it was a joke and not an impending reality.

"In my experience, the gods care little for human politics." she said as they finished up the washing. "I am sure Safrin would be delighted to have one of her devotees leading a land again."
the nightingale
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
It is definitely a part of the healing process, and Harper is not immune to the ache of old memories and habits. If they are honest about wanting to be friends again however, it's a necessary adjustment.

"I'll have you know I'm a wiz at crosswords, I accept your challenge," he retorts with feigned snootiness. Though he's very aware that now she actually might, if only to make him put his money where his mouth is. At least it would make his days more interesting if she does.

"Very true, though I can't help but envy the closeness of the demigods sometimes." It may seem a bit out of place to say it in that way, but Harper often wishes Safrin did care if it was Harper at the helm. Given she has two demigods of her own however, he often tempers his expectations and merely tries to do what he can in service of her. "I believe Torchline is the only region with an announced dedication to any of the gods. Do you plan on doing that here in the Greatwood?"
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
She laughed at his insistence that he would still be able to interpret her messages. "Then I will just send hints of what the words are and you'll be tasked with figuring them out and putting them in order." she said with a grin. Not that she ever would - unless she was terribly bored - but it was a funny thought imagining him puzzling over her letters.

"Being a demigod comes with its own burdens." she said softly. Like disappearing and losing the love of your life. But she wouldn't put that into words. He'd have to figure it out on his own. But as far as declaring a deity alignment for the Greatwood? She shook her head. "Not with Mathair here. She is woven into everything in the Greatwood, but she is not so high as the other gods. To do so may insult her though." she said, explaining her thought process.
the nightingale
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
The upping of the stakes makes him laugh as he hands her the last utensil to be dried and put away, plucking his own towel to dry off his hands as he rests his hip on the counter and turns to her with a grin. "Alright, that might be a bit more than I can handle, I can admit that much." Never ashamed to concede defeat or admit his weaknesses even playfully.

The tone shifts a bit, and Harper can only look down at the towel in his hands, feeling the ache of solitude even with her at his side. "I know. But some days I think I would prefer them to the ones I have." Sometimes he envisions stepping away from all notions of romance and duty and committing himself to Safrin alone, so that nobody could ever leave or hurt him again. He doesn't kid himself that it's a real possibility, but the ache lingers anyway.

"Hmm. I suppose, though Halo has been courting Frey even with the Eirachi present." Not refuting her point, but it was something to consider at least. "I wonder - are they any less powerful than the heralds? The seasonal deities?" Were they capable of granting regional requests?
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
She put the last utensil in its appropriate drawer, a chesire grin upon her face. "I win." she chirped happily.

"The grass always looks greener on the otherside." she reminded. Just because his current problems weighed him down didn't mean a different set of ones would be any easier to manage. He had a control in his life that the demigods didn't, subject to the whims of their parent deities. But she wouldn't argue the point further. It was normal to wish for those things one didn't have.

"Yes, but they could use Nature Frey's help in bettering their climate." she said. It was becoming less frozen wasteland and more growing metropolis thanks to Frey's assistance. "I'm not sure. I don't know much about them and have never met one." she admitted. Surely they weren't as powerful, being subdieties. But she could be wrong.
the nightingale
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Merely humming since they would have to agree to disagree, Harper re-hangs the towel and rests against the counter, knowing their time together is wrapping up but unwilling to make motions to depart just yet. He is almost tempted to try and make it humorous and warn her that she sounds rather heretical to tout warnings against being a demigod, but he also knows it will fall flat. Right now the best course is changing topics.

"Maybe that's where you should start - by visiting Mathair?" If she is so integral to the Greatwood it would only be right to seek her out at least once in Harper's opinion. "Though I'm sure Frey could give you insight as well." Not just on the Mathair, but on the power scaling of the deities and how best to respect her presence in the woods.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe stared at him, almost dumbfounded. Visit Mathair? Why hadn't she thought of that? It started as a quiet snicker but built to a full laugh as she leaned against the counter. "Well I feel a little stupid for not thinking of that." she said, still chuckling a bit. The Fae had always sought her council, so why not her?

"I suppose I should get her blessing if I am going to rule here too." she said. She would have sought Frey's too but she knew they cared little for human politics. But it was growing late and she sjghed. "And I suppose you have a Skyboat to catch." she said a bit sadly.
the nightingale