[SE] Red on black
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 10 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 52 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
"Hey, that's great!" Tal flashed his friend a grin, a little surprised but genuinely pleased that her divination business was taking off. Of course, he was even more smugly pleased that his suggestion of scribe-work had proven to be a success. He hurried to man the bellows again at a curt gesture from the smith and after a few moments, once the iron was glowing red, she fished it out of the coals and began to work it over with swift, economical strikes of her hammer, beating the iron flat and folding it on the anvil until she judged it ready for shaping.

Speaking in between the ringing of the hammer, Tal answered Alys. "Well... maybe," he admitted reluctantly. "I did find someone who was interested but..." He grimaced, giving an awkward one-armed shrug. "He's kinda... Mm. Too damn polite, y'know? I feel like I'm constantly walkin' on ningo shells around 'im."

The smith inspected the piece of iron that she had bent and twisted, then set it in a trough of cold water and went to grab the crucible with a different set of tongs, swirling it gently to check the state of the silver within and then selecting a ring mold that matched the sizing she'd taken from Alys. She tilted the crucible carefully, pouring the liquid silver into the mold with fierce attention and a steady hand.

"Have y'had a chance t'start travelin' more?" he asked his friend curiously while watching the smith.
Alys Glasse
Seer

Age: 27 | Height: 5'2" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 8 - Int:
SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
Alys watched as the smith began to work the metal, growing more intrigued in spite of herself as the piece began to take shape under the woman's skillful hands. She shot Tal a quick smile. "It's mostly referrals," she explained. "One person who's happy brings back a friend, that sort of thing." It helped that her Sight was usually pretty accurate. She'd have gotten a poor reputation as a Seer if it wasn't, and then she'd be truly out of luck!

At the mention of a potential assistant, Alys perked up. She hummed agreement to Tal's analysis, shrugging a shoulder. "Polite could be a good thing with customers," she pointed out. "Besides, you can always find someone else if he doesn't work out."

Alys was even more interested in the smith's work when it came to her ring, and she watched the woman pour the silver with a keen eye. Of course, she didn't know what she was looking for, specifically, but she wanted to watch over her creation all the same. "I went to King's End recently, but that's about it. It's too bloody hot to go further south."
Alys
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
"Sure, but that's how any good business starts," the courier said confidently. His own had certainly expanded from such humble beginnings! ...Give or take the family name, reputation, and history of transporting goods and letters from one end of Halo to the other for generations before the world had opened up to them.

The smith worked diligently away on iron and silver, ignoring the chattering of her two assistants for the tasks as Tal grimaced uncomfortably but kept his hands on the bellows instead of rubbing his neck. "I mean, you're not wrong," he conceded. "I just feel like if I say a harsh word t'him even by accident it'll be like kickin' a puppy." And Tal wasn't the most tactful of Halovians on his best day!

The ring molds had been prepared in advance in a variety of sizes. The smith poured the silver into the one that suited Alys's commission and then went back to work on Tal's iron while the silver cooled. There was final shaping and smoothing to begin and she motioned the courier to stand beside a contraption of several wheels while she swapped out the sandpaper on it. At her signal Tal began to tread up and down on the contraption's pedal and it spun swiftly while the smith held the metal against it, smoothing out the rough edges.

"Y'got that... right..." Tal agreed, huffing a little at his task. "'Least th'Greatwood... is shady this... time o'year, though." Shadier than the places Tal had been to in King's End, at least!
Alys Glasse
Seer

Age: 27 | Height: 5'2" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
It might have been a little harder to get started in business without the family name and reputation that Tal had, but it was no less rewarding either way to succeed. Alys was learning, slowly but surely, that hard work not only led to positive results, but it was also rewarding. As she built her business - indeed, even as she worked as a scribe - she began to feel a sense of peace that had been sorely lacking in her life.

Alys snorted at the idea of Tal kicking a puppy. She couldn't picture it, even in jest. Sure, he could be a bit surly, but she'd never known the man to be unkind. "Well, only you know what your business needs," she said with a shrug. "But if you do take him on - either he'll work out, or he won't. Or someone else who's a better fit will come along. I still think it's a shame I don't have an interest in Torchline," she added with a grin. "I'd solve your problem for you."

The silver was setting in the mold while the smith continued to work on Tal's iron. She was most curious about how the precious stones would be incorporated into the designs, and she kept a keen eye on the work even as she waited to be needed again. "Fair enough. Maybe I'll give the Greatwood a try next. Where's your favorite, aside from Halo?"
Alys
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
The rough edges and spurs of the iron were soon filed and sanded smooth and the smith allowed Tal to stop while she went to check the silver. It had hardened nicely within its mold and she broke it free from the clay and quenched it before cutting the ring free from its sprue and using a small file to rasp it flat. Then it was Alys's turn to work the treadle while the ring was sanded smooth.

"You'd be perfect!" Tal agreed, wry grin returning as he moved aside to let Alys take her turn on the contraption. "An' I already know we work well together!" High praise indeed from the grumpy, awkward courier!

Her question had him lapsing into silence, brow furrowing and pulling his expression slowly into a scowl of thought. "Hmm... I dunno... Torchline in Deepfrost, mebbe?" He did know, but he didn't want to cause hard feelings by mentioning it. "So for your divinin' business, d'y'get the same people comin' back an' asking questions over an' over? Or is it more 'one an' done'?"

Meanwhile, the smith gestured Alys to stop and set the ring down next to the brooch. Now she moved to the stones they'd handed over, measuring out silver wire and preparing the jump rings and prongs that would hold them.
Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys grinned at her friend's praise. Who would have thought, when the two of them had met in a tavern all those weeks ago, both a bit gruff and rough around the edges, with absolutely nothing in common, that they would have become such fast friends? Even Alys, with all her Sight, could not have predicted such an outcome.

The smith continued her work, smoothing the edges of the iron before indicating that Alys was to take Tal's place working the treadle. She took his place and began to pump the contraption. It was harder work than it looked, and she had to concentrate to focus on both that and the conversation at hand. "I'll have to - spend more time in Torchline - when it cools down," she panted as she worked. She'd not heard anything bad about the area, after all, and she could always use new clients. She wondered if people would be willing to take a reading from afar. If they sent her a letter, after all, she could still do a reading and send it back in written form. They didn't have to meet in person. Something to consider, anyway.

"Some people come back over and over," she explained as she stepped away from the treadle. "The cards always have something new to say. The thing about Seeing things is, nothing is ever set in stone. That's why I like to do readings for the present moment rather than the future. Every decision someone makes, or someone adjacent to them makes, can affect the outcome. We're all in charge of our own destiny, after all. So the cards may give different advice tomorrow, or next week, or next month. Usually, my repeat clients come in every few weeks with various questions. It's not usually the same one. Some people only come once, for a specific issue, but that's okay, too. They know I'm here, if they need further insight."
Alys
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
True, imagining gruff Alys working in laid-back, party-loving Torchline was hard to imagine, but no harder than trying to imagine himself there for any length of time. Tal nodded, his grin going a little lopsided as he caught his breath and let Alys handle the sanding contraption for a bit. "Well, when you're ready, I know a fast skyboat with reasonable rates," he offered, enjoying the chance to tease his friend.

Then they were both given a break while the smith did the finicky work of preparing the settings, and Tal, shifted from where he was leaning against a counter so Alys could join him while they chatted. He listened to her explanations of her business with curiosity and nodded along. "Huh. I didn't realize y'could keep askin,'" he admitted thoughtfully. He subsided then, watching the smith work with brisk efficiency as she painted the metal with flux and proceeded to attach the prongs, then dunked the settings into a jar of some sort of pickling liquid. After testing the fit of the stones she reclaimed the ring and brooch and, working swiftly now, she used copper salt and a blowpipe with an oil lamp to solder the settings to their respective pieces.

A quick quench and she inspected them a final time before sliding the nearly-completed pieces towards her customers with a set of polishing cloths and a grunt of satisfaction.
Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys grinned back at Tal. She did indeed know a fast skyboat with reasonable rates, and it was nice to have such a helpful connection - if, of course, he could spare the time between deliveries. From her understanding, he was quite busy these days!

As they took a break, Alys rejoined Tal at the counter, leaning her shoulder into his companionably. "Sure you can," Alys said. "But I always warn people that the answer might not change. Sometimes people just want to ask until they hear what they want to hear, but that's not how it works. Why, did you want another reading?" She tilted her head to one side; she hadn't thought Tal was as taken with her abilities as, say Hotaru, but perhaps she'd been wrong.

They watched together as the smith finished off their pieces. This part of the process was more interesting to Alys, and she watched keenly as her obsidian was fitted to the ring. When the finished piece was presented to her, she picked it up and examined it carefully from a variety of angles before sliding it onto her finger. "It's perfect," she said, offering the smith a small smile. "How much do I owe you?"
Alys
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
He would always spare time for his friends... but more likely, he'd find a way to combine business and pleasure, giving Alys a ride while he was making a delivery to Torchline, or heading there to pick one up for transport elsewhere. It was how he got things done, finding ways to multitask and make his life more efficient whenever possible - a holdover from when he'd delivered via dogsled, and every ounce of cargo, inch of space, and hour of time had mattered.

Tal picked up his polishing cloth and went to work, shining up his brooch while he chatted with Alys, and he took her question with a thoughtful scowl down at his rubies. "Um. Hmm. Maybe...?" he tentatively agreed. "Not th'same one. Everyone's been makin' the same suggestion you an' the cards did, so there's gotta be somethin' to it." The admission was made with wry humor in his voice as he rubbed at a particularly stubborn spot of soot until if came away and left the iron gleaming. "But I guess it couldn't hurt t'ask about th'particular apprentice I found." And hey, even if it was just supporting a friend's business, well, there was no harm in seeing what the deck said, right?

Tal set the polishing cloth down and pinned the brooch to his tunic proudly, then listened to the haggling about to commence. He'd paid up front with several small ruby chips that had accompanied the larger pieces in his brooch, and finished off the deal with his labor. But for Alys...

The smith was wiping her hands on a clean cloth while she considered. "Two pounds of limestone," she stated after a moment. "Or five rabbits." She paused, then nodded to the ring. "Or another piece of good obsidian, about that size."
Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Satisfied with the fit of the ring, Alys slipped it off her finger and began to polish the silver, copying Tal's efforts. "After lunch, then," she told him. It was always funny to hear how the rest of the universe aligned with the cards; if others had been telling him the same thing, perhaps it had swayed him to some kind of belief in her abilities beyond that which he had already possessed. "We'll see what we can find out about your potential apprentice." Already, her mind was at work, considering how best to phrase the question to get the most detailed answer.

As Tal pinned his brooch to his chest, Alys took the opportunity to study it, nodding her approval. "It looks great," she told her friend with a smile. And it did - it suited him well.

Alys pursed her lips at the smith's price. She had neither limestone nor rabbits - at least, not on her at the moment - and she doubted that the smith would be willing to take an IOU while she went hunting. She'd been hoping to keep her leftover obsidian for herself, to add to the small collection of shiny rocks and oddities that she kept in her dormitory room at the Academy, but after a moment, she decided the price was fair. The smith had supplied the silver, after all, and done the hard part of the work. So Alys dug in her pocket for a small piece of obsidian and laid it on the counter, offering it to the smith with a nod.
Alys
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal flashed Alys a grateful grin and admired her ring as the silver began to shine and the obsidian gleamed, dark with secrets. "Thanks! Yours turned out really pretty, too," he assured her. Simple but elegantly mysterious, the ring was definitely a good match for a seer! Though Tal figured it would have looked good on Alys no matter what her profession was.

An IOU for the other pricing options could have been worked out, but the smith was happy enough to accept the chunk of black stone, lifting it to the light and examining it closely before grunting her approval and slipping it into a pocket of her leather apron. "Pleasure doing business with you," she told them with a nod to conclude the deal. She waited a moment to make sure there was nothing else, then turned back to the work she had been engaged in before Tal had arrived with his commission.

Speaking of Tal... the courier's stomach rumbled loudly and he did his best to look innocent, glancing towards the sky as if checking the weather as he rubbed sheepishly at the back of his neck. "So, uh... about that lunch..."

And it was all the more delicious for having worked up a good appetite.

~Fin~