be all my sins remembered
open!
Octavius Acanthio Belefort
Dragoon

Age: 25 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 0 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 3 - Int:
Played by: Crow Offline
Change author:
MP: 225
Octavius
Octavius' steps echoed in the great hall as he walked inside, face aggrieved. He was not familiar with the schedule of services in the temple, so he was glad to be lucky enough to have come on a day when no one seemed to be around. As soon as he entered, he felt how this place summoned the presence of the Gods in all its grandeur. He had never been inside a temple so enormous; the one back at the manor seemed minuscule in comparison. He walked in slowly, looking around, trying to get his bearings. After a moment, he noticed the smaller altars along the walls, and walked through a pew to get closer.

Each altar was dedicated to a different deity or herald, some more lavishly decorated than others. Octavius admired them as he passed before stopping at an altar with a statue he recognized. The visage of Vi in all his glory was displayed in a statue that looked down upon Octavius, with various decorations in silver and gold at his feet, along with some offerings from previous visitors. Octavius looked around for an unlit candle, lit it with the proffered matches, and set it down at the front of a large group of them already placed beneath Vi's gaze. Then, Octavius knelt on the cushion before the altar and began to speak quietly.

"Glorious Vi, God of all life, please accept my repentance and forgive my sins. Today, I could have helped someone in need, but I didn't. Instead, I allowed them to suffer at the hands of a superior officer," he said this under his breath, ashamed at even speaking the words aloud. The memory of that poor man being abused was almost too much to bear. "I didn't know what to do. I don't know what to do. Perhaps Mother was right about all this, and I should just resign," as soon as he said this, he regretted it, and quickly added, "But I have been able to help people this way. I don't wish to resign, truly. I just wish this injustice never occurred, or that I had the strength to stop it." He didn't know how to end his prayer, so he just went with the generic one he knew from childhood.

"May Caido bless us with His radiance. So it is." When he was finished, he lifted his head to look up at Vi once more and didn't move for a time.
i wake up alone, with only daytime between us
Anju Rao
Captain

Age: 31 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 10 - Int:
RIYA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
gladly feast on all those who would dare to try and subdue us
Anju, devout as she is, is often found in the temple these days as the world around them changes with expediency. After a lifetime raised on these pews (somewhere, surreptitiously, her initials are carved in the back of one of their legs) she has come to know the etiquette surrounding prayers and their hallowed sanctity. It is easy to tune out voices in respect of their privacy - that is, until Riya nudges at her knee with her warm snout, the bond alight with half-words as the dragon insistently pulls her attention towards one of the younger dragoons.

Only then does she break her focus in her prayers to Mort, catching the man's fervent words and feeling her heart sink. Riya's golden eyes look steadily into her own as she instinctively drops her gaze to her sister, and Anju feels the tear in her heart between the duty of ignoring prayers that do not involve her and the duty of keeping her soldiers safe.

Rising silently with a scarcely uttered sigh, Anju moves on quiet feet around the others praying scattered throughout the pews to make her way to Octavius' side and sit next to him. "I do not mean to interrupt," she murmurs, voice cast low in the echoing temple. Riya slinks between the pew and her calves, golden eyes peering up at the man but for once tempering her hyperactivity. "Nor pry," Anju continues, "but if you have seen injustice in our ranks, I will not allow it to continue. Will you tell me what occurred? I can vow that your anonymity will be kept intact." Though her stance as captain is a hollow one with no leader to report to, Anju's stance as the eldest Dragoon and most physically competent has led to it occurring rather naturally. As such, it falls to her to exact punishments.
Dragoon

Age: 25 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Octavius
As Octavius kneels before Vi's altar, feeling only marginally comforted after finishing his prayer, he senses someone's presence approaching. He moves to sit instead of kneel and, assuming it to be someone with a prayer for Vi of their own, provide the newcomer with some privacy. The utter bewilderment on his face at the sight of Captain Rao is clear in the way his eyebrows lift and his mouth opens slightly. Octavius quickly composes himself, however, resuming his knelt position and giving his captain a nod of respectful greeting.

At her words, he feels a flash of bitterness, then shame as he realizes he was overheard. He breaks eye contact with her to look ahead and into nothing, mulling over what he will say. He supposes there is nothing to say besides the truth.

"We were doing a routine patrol on the outskirts of the city and came across a man with a broken cart. There was nothing more urgent to do, so we helped him repair it. While we were doing it, however, the person I was on patrol with, they declared they must do a search of the cart. I questioned them for what, but they didn't answer and went ahead with it anyway. As it turned out, there was a symbol of the New Gods amongst his possessions." Octavius paused here and had to take a deep breath before continuing.

"My...fellow Dragoon was irate upon finding it, as was I, but they immediately accused the man of heresy and betrayal of the Old Gods. They...they...began beating the man. I tried to stop them, calm them down, but they fought me away. They said I had to be a heretic myself if I was defending him." As he told the story, he became even more ashamed because he realized exactly why he did nothing. "I was so afraid of that label...heretic, that I convinced myself it would be better to stand by. But now, now I feel so ashamed at this. I'm disgusted at myself. And I'm confused as to how I should feel. Because while no innocent person deserves what that man went through, he may well have been secretly worshiping the New Gods. What then?"
Anju Rao
Captain

Age: 31 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Given her status, Anju has not had the pleasure of having Octavius directly beneath her wing. Her own squadron is comprised of other high-ranking Dragoons, ones she has trained with for many years now. They often teach the new recruits in pairs or large teams to not only improve their skills but to introduce themselves, but it's clear to her as he looks up at her bewildered and stunned that she needs to do more.

He forfeits the truth faster than she might have expected, though her rank may have something to do with that. Anju sits beside him, patient and attentive. Absorbing every word with the seriousness the topic dictates and attempting to honor the risk he is taking in revealing the despicable actions of not only a fellow soldier, but a superior.

With her stoic expression it is easy to hide the disgust she feels as he expands on the incident, and only when he has fallen silent does she tilt her chin down to consider it all at once.

"Your fear is not unfounded. Heresy is heavily weighted here, and rumors can be devastating." Her brown hands fist themselves on her folded thighs until her knuckles bleed pale, and Riya makes a soft crooning noise beside her that Anju ignores. "You have more honor than your superior or any who abided his actions, Octavius. Know that. Speaking up in the face of cruelty when outnumbered is deserving of the highest praise, no matter your success in stopping it." As a younger Dragoon, she would not fault him for having failed in the least.

"As for your question - your superior was in the wrong for many reasons. Not only are we as Dragoons not executioners or enforcers who cannot take the law into our own hands, our job is to ensure due process is allowed for all potential guilty parties." It's clear by the passion in her voice that she feels this strongly, and always has. Practically reared on the ideals of justice and law. "The merchant may not have even known what he had in his possession. It may have been planted there by a business rival. What, then, would a beating have achieved?" It may have been farfetched in terms of excuses, but nothing is impossible; precisely why they have trials and investigations in joint forces between detectives and Dragoons. "To begin with, no search of the cart was initially warranted. We are here to keep our citizens safe, not cowering in fear - your superior was grievously wrong from the very start to have turned a moment of aid into something more." Gritting her teeth, the muscle in her jaw feathers conspicuously as she contends with the force of her anger and disappointment.

Turning, she meets his eyes to convey appropriately her own disappointment in herself for this having escaped her purview. "Heresy against you or this merchant would not have even become a threat if due process had been kept by your superior. That is why we have them, to protect soldiers such as yourself from empty accusations. For that, I can only apologize that I did not know about this sooner." Shaking her head slightly, Anju breathes out slowly and tries to determine where to go from here. "I cannot force you, but if you could tell me your superior's name, it would be for the best. They cannot be afforded the safety of our ranks and titles if they will abuse them." Anju will not stand by it. She will oust them personally if she must.
Dragoon

Change author:
Octavius
Octavius waits as his captain considers her answer, distressed at what she just heard. Then she speaks, and Octavius feels relief at her reaction. She is clearly upset with the sergeant, and she even reassures Octavius that he did right and should not feel shame. He agrees with Captain Rao; the Dragoons are not enforcers, they are meant to help the people of the city and protect them.

She asks for the superior's name, and Octavius hesitates. When he thinks about Sergeant Hendriks, he knows from experience that he can be a spiteful man, especially against those who do him wrong.

"It was Sergeant Hendriks, ma'am," he says, looking away from her penetrating gaze. He almost wants to ask her not to mention to the sergeant exactly why he is being dismissed when the time comes. But he figures that type of decision is not up to him, and Hendriks will likely ask for the reason regardless. In any case, Captain Rao made it clear she would remove him from the Dragoons.

"Can I ask what will happen to him, exactly, and will it be expedient?" Octavius could only hope she'd say yes to the second inquiry.
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
Hesitation is not surprising given he had been endlessly careful not to name his superior in the retelling of his tale, but Anju is a patient woman. She will insist if she must, or otherwise research the fellows who may have been with the Dragoon on that day if he decides not to tell her. This will not escape her hand of justice.

Luckily it seems she will not have to resort to that, though the very corners of her eyes betray her as they narrow the moment he mentions Hendriks' name. She has reprimanded him in the past for various infractions and always despaired that she could not prove anything worse that would strip him of his rank. At last it seems she can.

"Thank you for telling me Octavius," she intones solemnly, though it is strange to use his primary name when most soldiers - even amongst themselves - utilize the surname. Here in the Temple however, with neither on duty, it would feel wrong.

Though the spirit of fairness and anonymity should hold her tongue, given how affected Octavius had been by Hendriks' actions it seems only right to tell him what lies in his supervisor's future. "He will be stripped of his rank immediately and ousted from the Dragoons, barred from ever returning. The merchant will be found and I will speak with them personally to corroborate your story, but it will be a formality. Your witness account is enough to oust him prior to that happening." Tucking her long dark hair behind her ear, eyes far away and hard, she continues. "Reparations will be given to the merchant from his own coffers, and he will be given a court date to determine if he will serve time or be forced to perform community service." Head turning back to him, a small smile - rare, for her - curls up her lips. "And, of course, you will receive a new supervisor to report to. Though I don't think that will be terrible for you?"
Dragoon

Change author:
Octavius
Octavius looked intently at Captain Rao as she thanked him with his first name, feeling somehow honored, and explained to him what would happen to Hendriks. He felt reassured by the fact that his superior would indeed be removed immediately, if not for his own sake, for that of the citizens of Stormbreak. There was still a small worry in the back of Octavius' mind, however.

He smiled a little, expression still rueful, and nodded in response to her last question. Hendriks was difficult to work with, though Octavius' skill and capability saved him from much of his wrath. He had never before seen the man inflict violence on another, however, and it occurs to him that he was likely waiting for an opportunity to do what he did, preying on someone vulnerable. Worry still clouds his eyes as he thinks of the merchant.

"And when you go to the merchant, will you investigate him as well? Because of the symbol?" He doesn't know what answer to expect, nor the one he wants.
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
That's a bit more difficult of a question to answer, and Anju leans forward to brace her elbows on her thighs as she considers her answer fully before supplying it. "Compensation or not, they must still be investigated. Properly this time." No matter how much Anju may desire to simply make reparations and have the merchant move on, Stormbreak was the worst possible place to have New God paraphernalia. Anju understands it given her personal hatred for The Voice, but she cannot decree a traveling nomad not to have their own beliefs. It was a fine line to walk.

"Possession of an artifact is a misdemeanor at best, even if they are aware of what they have. The societal backlash is far harsher than anything we would officially charge them with." Given The Voice had been defeated, any depictions of her or her kin were...well...rather meaningless. Unless they found a connection to a future uprising or sect of worshippers who might have dangerous plans, the punishment - legally - would be light. "But I will oversee it myself. I can promise you that much." Maybe that doesn't mean much to him given their minimal interaction thus far in his career, but it's the only thing she can provide that will hopefully reassure him that an impartial, scrutinous eye would be applied to the investigation.
Dragoon

Change author:
Octavius
Octavius met Anju's eyes with a solemn expression as she answered his question. He became tense when she revealed an investigation would have to go forward regardless of the way it started, then relaxed when it turned out the legal consequences of possessing an artifact were minor. Hopefully, with Anju's oversight, it would be done quietly and away from the eyes of any particularly zealous citizens.

He nodded in acknowledgement of her words, then didn't say anything for a time. It was then that he realized she had listened in on a prayer which he thought was private between him and Vi, and his feelings began to get mixed. She had helped him to a certain extent, but shouldn't it have been Octavius' choice to share with a superior? Either way, the outcome had been good; Sergeant Henriks was unlikely to ever see Octavius again, or abuse his power. He honestly didn't know what to think, what to feel. All he knew was the appropriate thing to say.

"Thank you, for listening, and for promising to do something about it. When I joined the Dragoons, I never thought something like this would be allowed to happen. I thought all the Dragoons were paragons of justice." As he said this, he began to sound embittered, ashamed of himself for his naivete and disappointed that reality did not match his expectations.
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
He is not the only one with conflicted feelings about how she had come to discern this information. Were it not for Riya she may not have interceded at all. In some ways she is glad for it considering the news surely would not have reached her otherwise, allowing Henriks to continue his reign of terror, but as a pious woman, she cannot help but feel disquieted by the intrusion she'd performed. Still, she is also a logical one; it has already been done, and he will either forgive her or he will not.

"It would be a better world if we were all who we claimed to be," she agrees plainly. "Unfortunately, a title cannot scrub clean or replace a tarnished moral code." Though they could hide and scuttle around like cockroaches, a gilded exterior could not change the vermin they were beneath. All that remained was to exterminate them.

Collecting herself, Anju turns her intense gaze toward Octavius. "I cannot force the new recruits to come to me or trust me with such delicate admissions." She is also usually training the older Dragoons, keeping them sharp and coordinating their efforts. If she could be everywhere at once...but no. "It is not a formal task I entreat to you, but a request. If you hear of anything similar to this from others around you, please do inform me. I cannot help if I do not know." Anju may not normally be perceived as the 'helping type', but when it comes to her soldiers nobody is more devoted to ensuring fairness and success.
Dragoon

Change author:
Octavius
Octavius watches his captain as she responds, stating the plain truth. He nodded. He realizes he is only now coming to learn that titles said little about those who held them. His own parents and older siblings are honorable and committed to their morals, having taught Octavius all he knows about what is wrong and right. So, he had come to think that those who held rank were entitled to that power due to their integrity and honor. Apparently, this was not always the case.

Anju meets his eyes with sudden intensity, and Octavius looks back with all his attention as she gives him her order. Well, she calls it a request, but Octavius takes it as an order. He feels honored as she explains it to him; as a new recruit, he barely saw the captain, so this is a rare and special instance. She is entrusting him with a task that he knows is vital to making the Dragoons into the best possible force it can be.

"Of course, Captain. It would be my honor," he replies in a solemn tone, nodding with breaking eye contact. At the very least, his captain proved to be worthy of the title she held and the power she wielded. He didn't doubt her sincerity and wish to do good for a second. After a moment, he looks away and down into the bottom of the pew from where he is sitting.

"I am glad, at the very least, that the Dragoons have leaders like you who stand for justice," he has to say, finally, smiling while looking up at her, leaning his forearms on his knees.
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
She is loathe to use her rank when out of uniform, but it seems it does not matter given the way he straightens beneath her gaze. It is hard sometimes to see this; Anju is not a woman without her softer sides, even if they are fewer, and at times she longs to have moments of favoritism and closeness. To be a person to confide in instead of obey, to offer physical comfort and companionship instead of doling out justice and hoping it brings the wounded some measure of comfort. But perhaps that is not to be. All she can do is be grateful for his loyalty, his trust and dedication to not only her but the Dragoon cause.

"You do us proud, Octavius. You do me proud. And you have my gratitude." The extent of praise she is allowed even here in the privacy of the Temple. As he looks away so too does she, far from expecting any further answers - much less a compliment. Surprise is clear on her face if he looks, only to soften into something rare to see on her that even she cannot name. "As am I." Spoken with a tone that verges on emotional, or perhaps tender. Because what more is there to say?
Dragoon

Change author:
Octavius
When the captain praises him, Octavius cannot help but smile as a warm feeling rises in his chest. He has much respect for Captain Anju, so her words are quite meaningful to him. He wants to prove himself as a competent soldier, trustworthy and hardworking. Where he was once feeling intense doubt regarding his worthiness to be called a Dragoon, now he feels relief and newfound confidence in himself. He is a Dragoon, a worthy one too, and all of a sudden he is reinvigorated with motivation to do his very best.

"Thank you, Captain," he says earnestly, meeting her eyes again and finding a softness there that he hadn't noticed before. A vulnerability, perhaps, that looked foreign on his captain's face. His brow furrows slightly as he considers how much weight she herself had to bear, wondering whether she is truly alright after hearing all she did. He can't imagine the dozens of other stressors in her daily life, and here she is listening to Octavius, reassuring him. He looks away once more and relaxes into his seat again, gazing at the majesty of the temple before him. If Octavius himself can't provide comfort, he only knows of one other support his captain might have.

"Did you originally come to the temple for worship? I apologize if I interrupted any plans of yours. Perhaps you had a prayer for Vi," he says this with a gentle smile. His gaze continues to wander along the intricately carved stone and beautiful stained glass windows, feeling the need to give his captain some privacy.
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
He is not the first to see such a glimpse and provide her the respect of not mentioning it, and Anju appreciates that. It allows her time to compose herself - or, rather, to restrain herself. As the eldest Dragoon aside from Anna these days, there is little true companionship to be had, and even with no titles or roles upon their shoulders in the Temple with neither of them working Anju is aware there are certain boundaries that cannot be crossed. Relationships that cannot turn truly into friendships no matter how she may sometimes desire them.

"I am a follower of Mort actually," she corrects kindly with a small smile. Ludo has been her herald since she was quite small, and she used to sit in the temple with Koa's mother whispering and laughing between prayers. It makes her sentimental to remember. "I try to pray regularly, so you interrupted nothing dire. But I will leave you to your own prayers - without unintentionally overhearing, this time." Here she shoots Riya a look given the dragon had been the reason for all of this. The ivory serpent merely blows content smoke rings from her nostrils, clearly unrepentant. Standing, Anju touches Octavius' shoulder and smiles. "Perhaps next we meet outside of work will be for something more lighthearted, hm?" Anju hardly ever drinks but it is a common past-time for the Dragoons; meeting at bars after work for companionship. Maybe she will have to suck it up and finally go to one such gathering if she intends to see Octavius again outside of uniform.

Quietly excusing herself, she calls Riya to her side and the sisters walk down the middle aisle, clearly intent on making things right now instead of later with Octavius' superior.

- Fin! <3