[se] the reign of doves
crafting SE!
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 19 - Int:
MITTENS - Mythical - Abominable Snowball
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 10254
Lena
hope is the thing with feathers
that perches in the soul
Lena kept careful watch over Koa from the corner of her eyes – much like one would a puppy or a toddler. Besides all of that, figuring he was occupying himself with the fiddling of his toy, the Caretaker listened to the potentials, and began sorting through her basket. She had plenty of odds and ends – bandages, herbs, the occasional clipping of whatever animal she’d been tending, until eventually she came upon what the merchant sought. An exchange of services was soon agreed upon, with hours of work to be had, and she eventually wound her way back to the door.

Opening it for both of them, the Attuned relished the fresh, summer breeze the moment they stepped outside. With a grin forming in the corner of her mouth, she obliged the nature of the chaotic being. “Now, you must have some reason for tagging along with me.” Errands could be a dull affair for anyone.

Mittens peered over again as well, removing its head clear from its body to get a better view.
and sings the tune without the words
and never stops at all
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 28 - Int:
PIPSQUEAK - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
K O A
and they will shake their heads
and wag their bony fingers
Koa is glad to be out of the stuffy jewelry shop, though truth be told he was having rather a fun time within. He snaps a salute to the shopkeeper before stuffing his hands deep in his pockets, sauntering after Lena with a self-satisfied smile. As they enter the fresh air the young man raises his tan face sunwards, inhaling as deeply as though he'd been caught in a mine for weeks and this is his first taste of a non-stagnant breeze. "You have great taste," he informs Lena. "I think it'll turn out fantastic."

Ah, but as for why he's decided to stick with her. "Can't a guy just want to enjoy your company?" the boy asks with a shrug, a playful, flirtatious smile on his unabashed face. But the expression fades quickly, replaced with something a bit more serious, simultaneously embarrassed and hopeful and at a loss.

"Actually," he begins, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly, "I was hopin' I might get your help with something. My companion. Pipsqueak. She's a dragon, but she can't fly." His copper eyes take on a pleading, puppy-dog quality. "Is that normal? I mean, she's almost two seasons old now, and she won't even try."
in all the wrong directions—
and by daybreak we'll be gone
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
She didn’t fall for the flirtations before, and certainly wouldn’t now, save for a small smile. The actually was enough of an indication to know where his intentions had truly lain, and she remained poised and quiet as he began his explanation.

Only for her brows to furrow at the mentioning of his dragon, and her inability to fly. “No, that doesn’t sound it. I’ve known quite a few hatchlings and fledglings who try, even when sick or wounded.” It was a natural instinct for such an animal – to give into their primordial factions, predacious threads, and ability to overcome opponents, adversaries, and of course, prey. Adjusting her basket over her arm, she steeled herself. “May I see her?” Perhaps they could get to the bottom of the why, and then go from there.
and never stops at all
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
K O A
Good call, Lena; don't fall for the bluster and charm. Koa's undaunted by this not-quite-rebuttal, but he is brought down by what comes next: confirmation that all his inkling misgivings have been correct. Something is wrong with Pipsqueak, something is keeping her from being the dragon she's supposed to be.

And though Lena is too nice to say so, Koa knows: it's probably his fault.

Crestfallen and anxious, he shifts his weight, palms rubbing unhappily against his thighs. "Well shit." Why, Pip? What had he done wrong? He'd tried to encourage her with games and treats and words of affirmation and threats to yeet her off a cliff, and none of it had worked.

"She's not here." Koa sighs, his gaze trained somewhere over Lena's shoulder, a pensive expression on his handsome face. "She hates the heat, so I let her stay home if I go out at midday." Also probably something a dragon is not supposed to do.

"I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing," Koa confesses softly. "My mom's dragon... he was so different from Pip. Do you think... if I bring her to the Celestine, you could fix her?" He's turned a pleading look back to the caretaker, all flirtation and bravado replaced with a childish insecurity uncommon on his face. It's rare that Koa drops his mask, but Pipsqueak makes him weak.
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
Pip not being around left little for the Caretaker to work with, and her smile rendered itself into a tight consternation. “I won’t be able to tell you much then,” pondering over the dragon’s hatred of heat as well. Perhaps she wasn’t of the fire breathing designations, or merely an altogether different beast.

Considering and pondering the other statements, for all animals were complex in their own ways, she nodded. “Have you asked her over the companion bond?” Simple, forthright, concise. “Or does she give you any indication of emotions around flying?” She tapped on her chin, mind already deep in thought about the possibilities. “I can’t promise about fixing her, but you can bring her over. I have some dragonlings in right now. If worse comes to worse, she can at least see how they fly.”
and never stops at all
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
K O A
In Koa's defense he hadn't planned to bump into Lena today, it just kind of happened. But he still looks chagrined at the consternation, feet shuffling uncomfortably on the cobbled street. As for asking her opinion? "Uh... I mean, I get the impression she just... doesn't care?" Koa shrugs unhappily, letting his gaze drift down to Mittens. "Like... she doesn't see a need. Which is crazy. Who wouldn't want to fly?."

He brightens at the idea of introducing her to other dragonlings, practically bouncing on the balls of his feet. "Oh, really? That'd be awesome!" Gone are all hints of flirtatious bravado, replaced by boyish hope. That he loves Pipsqueak dearly should be obvious, as should his relief at having found a potential for help. "When can I bring her? I have, uh, work tonight, but tomorrow I'm free before afternoon training...?"
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
Lena’s brows furrowed further, completely at a loss. She’d never known any dragon to not instinctually rise off into the sky, even when wounded or sick. “Interesting,” she murmured, thinking about checking out some books within the Collegium on the way home. Had this ever occurred before?

Taken out of her contemplative reverie, the youth grasped her basket handle a little harder. “You can come by in the morning then,” an accord and agreement to survey Pipsqueak and her current dilemma. “I should head back,” jutting her jaw towards the jewelry store, as her ring would be ready soon. “I’ll see you then. And brings lots of treats.” With a friendlier smile, and no explanation to the latter, the Caretaker hastened off, with promises stuck on the seams.

{FIN}
and never stops at all