[se] i'll point you to the mirror
For Tal <3
Alys Glasse
Seer

Age: 27 | Height: 5'2" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 8 - Int:
SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
Alys
Alys arrived at Tal's right at the agreed-upon time, carrying a bag of groceries that she'd picked up in preparation for their lunch. While it was much more common to go out for a meal with her friend, sometimes staying in sounded just as nice, and that had been the case today. She wasn't really in the mood for a bar or a tavern or a restaurant with all the noise and chaos. She wasn't in a bad mood, particularly, but she'd been rather frustrated all day, having been practicing her magic. In recent weeks, she'd reached a plateau with her abilities, and no matter how much she tried, she just couldn't seem to get past it.

But today wasn't about her; it was time to shake off the irritation and simply enjoy the time with Tal, which she'd come to treasure since deciding to stay in Halo. Between Tal and Ru, Alys was rarely lonely anymore, and she'd found that it was a nice change, even though she'd never considered herself much of a people person.

She let herself in after knocking, juggling the bags in her arms as she called out a greeting. "Hey, Tal!"
Oh, I had a dream that you couldn't hear me screaming
Trying to tell you everything but it wouldn't stop you leaving
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 10 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 52 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Tal still lived in with his older sisters in the house built into the back of the family store, but those particular notables were either working in the front, running inventory in the storeroom, or out holding down his old dog sled delivery route, respectively. The house and kitchen were blessedly quiet for a change, and he'd asked Alys to come around to the back family entrance for their meal.

His sisters, of course, had been delighted that he was having a friend over and he'd set Boreal to guard the door to the store and make sure there'd be no eavesdropping or embarrassing familial interruptions.

"Hey, Alys!" he called from the kitchen where he was carefully using his Dagger to cut potatoes on a counter a few feet out of reach while continuing to stir a sauce pot that was simmering with a savory, garlicky smell. "I'm in here! What'd y'bring?"
Alys Glasse
Seer

Age: 27 | Height: 5'2" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys
Alys made her way into the kitchen, offering her friend a smile as she set her bags on the counter. The courier's dagger was chopping potatoes nearby as he stirred a sauce pot. It smelled wonderful, and for a moment Alys was content to just take it in. At Tal's question, she began to pull out items and set them on the counter. "Some vegetables, mostly. I wasn't sure what you wanted to make, so I just grabbed a variety. But I did bring dessert." She pulled out some brownies and held them up. "So no matter what happens with lunch, we're covered there," she added in a teasing tone.

She approached Tal and peered around over his shoulder into the sauce pot. "What are you working on?"
Minor powerplay allowed without permission.
Feel free to use force/magic on Alys.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
"Oooh, the veg'll go good for a side," he agreed. Then the brownies appeared and Tal's expression lit up. "Hey, even better! ... Waitaminnet, are you expectin' my cookin' t'go badly?" He pretended to scowl suspiciously at the Seer but the effect was somewhat ruined by his continued cooking endeavors. It was hard to look truly intimidating when he was being so damned domestic.

Several more potatoes were reduced to chunks by his Dagger as Alys came to peek at the goods. The saucepan contained milk, certainly, and the smell of butter, onions, and garlic were much more noticeable directly over the stove. "Mashed 'tater soup," Tal revealed proudly. "In fact, th' 'taters are just ready for smashin'." He wrinkled his nose and grinned down at his petite friend, gesturing towards the cutting board with his chin. A bowl and masher waited nearby for the potato chunks to be added in and reduced to pulp. "There's more milk'n butter in the ice box outside the door if y'need 'em," he added helpfully.

"So were you thinkin' side salads or roasted veggies?"
Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys
Alys grinned, pleased that her friend was pleased, and laughed at his mock suspicion. "Of course not," she told him. "But there's always my cooking to consider." It was only half teasing; truth be told, she rarely cooked. The Academy dormitories were comfortable, but they were noticeably lacking in kitchen space. Instead, she often ate out or joined her friends.

With the potatoes chopped into chunks ready for mashing, Alys went over to them and began to carefully collect them into the bowl, avoiding the dagger. "That sounds delicious," she said over her shoulder. "Be right back!" She took but a moment to fetch the milk and butter from outside the door, and returned in time to hear Tal's question. "Why don't we do salad?" she suggested. Soup and salad sounded like they would go well together in her book, anyway, and she had all the makings of a simple salad in her bags.

As she began to mash the potatoes, stirring in a bit of milk and butter as she went, she asked, "How goes your search for an apprentice?" She remembered that the last time they'd spoken about it, he'd had a candidate in mind, but had been unsure about taking the person on. "Are you still searching for someone less nice?" she teased.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
"Hmm... good point," Tal agreed cheerfully, though he wasn't really sure how bad Alys's cooking really was. The lack of space for her to cook in her own place meant he hadn't gotten to try it out. His own was generally passable, but definitely leaned into the simple and hearty rather than anything fancy. Since he'd had to eat his own cooking on the trail before the skyships came along, however, he'd had excellent inspiration to learn enough of the basics to get by.

He set the dagger aside as Alys neared the potatoes, not wanting to cut her by accident. He kept stirring the soup base, tasting it occasionally and adding a dab more pepper or garlic now and again. Her suggestion of salad was met with an easy nod. "Sounds great," he agreed. A mix of heavy and light, hot and cool sounded good on a Halovian Longheat day.

Her questions brought a snort from the courier as he set a lid over the soup pot and went to rummage in her bags for the vegetables, figuring he could wash them up while they chatted. "Not havin' any luck," he admitted, grin falling into a faint grimace, though it wasn't truly a scowl. "Though I'm not lookin' all that hard right now. The kid's not the worst I could do. I just dunno if he'll stick around once he has t'fly with me for days on end, y'know? But I guess we'll find out in Leafchange. That's when he starts," he added, unsure if he'd mentioned that detail before. "How about you? How's the magic comin' along?"
Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys
Alys picked up the bowl, shifting her position so that she could look at Tal while they talked, and continued her task of mashing the potatoes. She added milk and butter until she judged that it looked right, and then found a clean spoon with which to taste her concoction. She pondered for a moment, considering, then snapped her fingers. "Do you have any salt?" she asked, raising a brow at Tal.

The courier washed vegetables as they chatted, sharing his doubts about his potential apprentice. Alys hummed sympathetically. Either the apprentice would work out, or he wouldn't. Only time would tell. She was pleased that at least Tal had found somebody. He was going to need it, from what it sounded like, especially as he tried to expand his business. Even though it brought its challenges, she was happy for and proud of her friend - he was doing good work, and he deserved the success.

When the talk turned to her magic, though, Alys made a face. "Slowly," she admitted. "But I think it's my own fault. You know I've been working as a scribe, and then with my divination clients... I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to really train. I've mostly been taking theory classes at the Academy." She sighed. "What I really need is a good session with Ru." But they both stayed busy, and when they weren't, they were just being there for one another as friends. Alys hated to interrupt that for something like training her illusion magic.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
"Huh? Oh, yeah, here." He handed the salt cellar over from where he'd been hogging it near the stove while he was on his way to the vegetables. Alys listened sympathetically to his fears and Tal found it reassuringly easy to talk to her about his worries for the new apprentice. Jude was a sweet kid... but those were two things that Tal didn't have the best  track record of dealing with. Still, only time would tell how it would go, and nothing either the courier or the seer could do would make it go faster.

He turned the conversation back on her, always fascinated by the practice of magic and those who had access to it as an integral part of themselves. At her own admission he wrinkled his nose in sympathy and gave a slow nod. "Yeah, sounds like it. Though if y'wanted t'just get some practice in, maybe I could give you a hand?" He shrugged sheepishly as he arranged the cucumbers and tomatoes on the cutting board and then stepped back to retrieve his dagger. With a look of concentration, tongue sticking out the corner of his mouth, he began to slice them from a distance with the weapon's magic. "Safrin gave my Goggles a li'l extra sparkle recently. Y'can always try an' fool me, like y'did with your footprints durin' the snowball fight." He flashed her a quick grin before focusing on the salad prep again. The slices were a little on the thick side, but remarkably clean. " What d'you want t'do with 'em? Make 'em bigger? Or go farther?"
Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys
"Thanks," Alys said as she took the salt, sprinkling a little into her mashed potatoes. After tasting the concoction once more, she nodded, satisfied, and moved the bowl closer to Tal's saucepan. "Here, try this - see if they're ready. Do you have a kitchen knife?" she added, eyeing Tal's dagger with a raised brow. She wasn't entirely sure why he was using his enchanted dagger to slice vegetables, but she had no such thing, and she was more than happy to help prepare their salad.

As she began chopping vegetables, she smiled, thinking of their snowball fight. "Practice would always be appreciated. I could try giving you targets for your dagger... although they'd probably be ridiculously easy to hit," she added glumly. But at the mention of trying to trick him, she perked up a little. "Yeah, maybe!" she said, more excited by that prospect. It had worked during the snowball fight, after all, and maybe she could do it again. Although with his goggles, it sounded like it would be harder than before.

"I'm trying to work on distance, and how long I can keep them going. Right now, I can only make them go from here to the other side of the room before they fizzle out. And I can only keep the big ones going for a few minutes." Then she grinned ruefully, snapped her fingers, and called up the mouse she'd used when they first met. This time, it looked solid, like a real mouse, and as it scurried across the counter, it even squeaked softly. "The little ones are easier now, though. Almost like breathing."
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
The cucumbers and tomatoes were sliced, at least, by the time Alys was ready to trade. Tal grinned at her question and pulled open a drawer with neatly-stored knives. "Here, take your pick," he offered cheerfully, sheathing his Dagger - conveniently still clean, since the blade itself had never touched the veggies - and heading back to the stove while Alys assembled the salads.

The potatoes were looking good and fluffy, and after a little taste of his own to check the flavor balance he nodded in approval and began scooping and stirring the mixture into the liquid so that it thickened - or the potatoes thinned, depending on your preference.

He looked over his shoulder at her glum tone when speaking about her magic, feeling a strong pang of commiseration for his friend. He knew how frustrating it was to feel like he was being left behind by others, and he was relieved when his suggestion was met with enthusiasm. The little mouse actually made him jump since he wasn't wearing his Goggles, and surprised a bark of laughter from the courier. "Hey! You're gettin' plenty better! Maybe y'just can't see it 'cause you're lookin' at it every day, so all th'little progress kinda blends together." He gave the pot a final stir and then set a lid over it. "The rate we're goin' we should have plenty of leftovers," he noted with satisfaction.
Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys
Alys selected a smaller knife and slid the drawer closed gently, so as not to disturb the careful organization of the other knives. She took some red onions and began to chop them - rather finely, as she preferred not to have large chunks of onion in her salads. With the onion diced, she set to work preparing a few herbs for inclusion in the salad and the dressing. A little olive oil and red wine vinegar, toss it all together, and they'd have a lovely little cucumber tomato salad to accompany their potato soup.

At Tal's surprised laugh, Alys chuckled, waving a hand to banish the mouse away. "I did a luxere not too long ago," she said, thinking of her outing with Deimos, when they had scared away an ursur from the herd. "It was harder, and I couldn't hold it for long, but maybe you're right. I am improving, even if it's not as quickly as I'd like."

Finishing the salad, she tossed the ingredients together and offered it to Tal. "Want to taste it?" she asked, eyes sparkling with mischief. "Just to make sure we don't need to start with dessert?"
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
While the soup cooked and the salad came together he collected small plates and bowls and cutlery into one carefully-balanced pile to set the table with - once the 'mouse' had been shooed away, of course! "A whole ass luxere??" The courier was impressed! "Goin' from a mouse to a luxere is pretty fuckin' huge, Alys!" He snorted as he laid out the dishes. "'Slowly' my ass. You're doin' amazin'!" He might not have magic of his own but one of his sisters did and he knew exactly how hard and long Dierdre had trained to upgrade her water magic's abilities from where she'd started, barely able to make a ripple in a glass of water.

He finished setting the last spoon just right, positioning it with his strange, fussy perfection so out of place with his usual scruffy appearance just as Alys was wrapping up the salad. He wrinkled his nose at the bowl, sniffing it with exaggerated wariness. "I dunno... maybe we should start with dessert, just t'be on th'safe side..." But then he snagged a fork and popped a mouthful of greens and veggies in his mouth, chewing with a look of intense concentration until he swallowed. The thoughtful scowl descended upon his features as he glared down at the salad before growling: "Bah! It's great. Guess dessert'll have t'wait after all." And he tried to shoot Alys a mock-glare, as if it was all her fault for making them wait for the sweets at the end!
Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys
Alys didn't know what she'd expected, but she was surprised that Tal was so domestic. As he set the table carefully and precisely, Alys watched, impressed with the courier's abilities. Perhaps it was just the result of growing up with sisters. Alys wouldn't know, being an only child.

The Seer flushed with pleasure at Tal's praise. "Thanks, Tal." Even if she didn't particularly agree with his assessment, it was the thought that mattered to Alys. Having such supportive friends certainly made her magical journey easier. Sometimes it was nice to believe that she was making good progress, and that perhaps her friends were not just telling her what she wanted to hear.

Alys snorted as Tal sniffed at her bowl and laughed outright when he mock-glared at her. Still, she was pleased that her salad had passed his inspection. "Just save room," she advised. It wouldn't be any good to fill up on dinner and then miss out on dessert!
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal had been taught to be extremely fussy about loading his dogsleds back before he had a skyship. A place for everything, and everything in its place had been more than just a motto for the courier; it was how he loaded and balanced his sled as efficiently as possible for the team to drag, and could mean the difference between life and death out on the Tundra. That fussiness had carried over into other parts of his life as well, and he was usually meticulous about placing things - whether at a table, an altar, or or a shop.

He was too busy sorting out the place settings to realize just how pleased he had made his friend, but he heard something of the emotion in her voice and he lingered a little longer over the table, hiding a smile of his own as he gave her a chance to recover herself before he headed back to test the salad.

Sadly, it passed, and his hopes of brownies for lunch went by the wayside. "Yeah, yeah, I guess I could do that," he grumbled teasingly to her suggestion. "We're supposed t'bring leftovers t'that bloody moon thing anyways, right?" He handed the salad bowl back to its crafter and went to check on the soup, sniffing the rich aroma of cream and potatoes and herbs appreciatively. "The soup's about ready, too!" He shifted the pot to the side of the flame and went to collect their bowls, ladling the thick soup into them before returning to the table and pulling up his chair. "T'gettin' better every day!" he toasted her with his soup bowl, grinning.