Fine Detail [SE]
For Zariah
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Finally, there was a chance to give a gift.

Bastien's favourite holidays had always been those that involved gift exchanges. He loved to make presents, give them and see (hopefully) delighted smiles. Of course he loved to receive things too, who didn't? But the true joy was in creating something then letting it out into the world, to be adored by someone else who may think of him when they beheld it.

Rexanna was the first to come to mind when he thought of someone to make something for. She had already received and seen several of his paintings, so he wished to do something different. He had asked for clay for the Sanctuary at the market in case a sculptor joined them, but so far no one had. Deciding to dip into the supply, he wet a table in the middle of the guildhall and began to mold the clay.

3D work had never been his speciality, but he had a general talent for the creative; Bastien made a intricately detailed bending tree, each leaf and speck of bark marked out into the clay. Beneath it were two figures - himself, and Rexanna, painting as they had been in the fields on their first date.

It was a cool evening and he left the door open as he worked, the sign on the door as always welcoming anyone to come in if they wished. Creating was usually more fun in groups, after all.

Bastien
Push back, push back, push back,
With every word and every breath.
What god doesn't give to you,
You've got to go and get for yourself.
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless
Grand Sorceress of the Arcane Academy

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 7 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 23 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
Zariah
Be dangerous darling, for the world rises and falls at your feet.
Zariah was not a stranger to the creative. Back in Northaven, she had used her mastery of fire to purify metal ores and created intricate jewelry from them. But it had been a long time since she had used her eye and hands to create. As she walked through the streets, hands shoved in the pockets of her overlong tunic, she glanced towards the new Artist's guild. It was sort of an odd thing she thought - weren't artists usually rather anti-establishment - but figured it was more a decent business decision than anything. If all the artists were in one place, it made it easier to commission work she supposed.

That was when her eye caught on an open door, inside of which a man sat, sculpting something from clay. Curious, she quietly approached, pausing in the doorway to simply observe. Sculpting was never something she had done, but it had always intrigued her. It seemed something one was either very good at, creating realistic and beautiful pieces, or something one was horrible at, turning a lump of clay into a slightly moved around lump of clay. This fellow seemed to be making some sort of scene, and her head tilted slightly to the side. "What are you making?" she said, her face a perfect emotionless mask.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Bastien kept working as he noticed the shadow in the door, quite liking the idea of being observed creating and used to spectators as he made art already, having spent many years painting publically in the streets and on the cobbles themselves. He only looked up to nod and smile at Zariah as she came in, his hands slowly pulling away from his work.

She asked a question before she introduced herself or asked him to, and he liked that. He had always thought studious, interested types were good at a place like his Artist's guild. "I am creating a gift for my love. It is me and her, sat beneath the tree where we had a wonderful evening. This--" He pointed to a figure that was still rough, still missing a face. "--Is my dear Rexanna, and the other fortunate clay person is myself."

He looked up to his spectator. It was late but she seemed to be well awake. "If you still need to make a gift for the holiday, I welcome you to make use of any of the many supplies around here." Bastien motioned about the room. There was wood for carving, painting supplies, more clay...anything the prospective creator could need. "Though I would quite like to know the name of my enchanting collaborator."

Bastien
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Zariah
Her head tilted slightly as she watched him explain what was what. A tree. Himself. His lover. How quaint a scene. Immediately judged him for the hopeless romantic sort, which made her want to throw up a little bit, but she resisted the urge. "I see. And if she already has a gift at this festival?" she asked, glancing up at him. Would he so willingly part with such a personal piece? She doubted so, and she rather hoped he might squirm with discomfort under the question.

He motioned to his supplies from which to make a gift and she casually walked over to inspect what he had. She chose a block of cedar wood. She could carve something from that, and it would smell quite nice. "My name is really of little consequence. Though if you've a lover you might wish to be careful how many other women enchanting." she said lightly. Surprisingly there was no judgement in her tone, just a general observation.

The Launceleyn head found a seat across from him and set to work, coursing a small piece of lightning between her fingers, using it to burn away the wood in shapes she wanted. "But for what it is worth, my name is Zariah Launceleyn."
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

"If she already has a gift then I simply must fight to the death whoever has given it to her." Bastien stated as if this was plainly obvious, the only hint of it being a joke the uncontrollable curve up of his lips on either side. Truthfully, he wasn't too bothered about the strange rules of this festival and would give Rexanna the gift regardless, even if he had to wait until after the ceremony was through.

He watched with approval as she went to take the wood. They did not have any carvers or sculptors as of yet in the guild, so he would watch what she did closely. "My dear, Rexanna charms anyone in any room she enters. I have to charm some women, just to keep up." He leaned in to work on his own clay face, trying to best capture his rather handsome cheekbones.

"Zariah. What a wonderful name. I am Bastien De Rosieres, master of this Guild hall you find yourself in...I have not seen you before though, at any of my creative endeavours...are you perhaps not interested in such things?"

Bastien
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah
"Mmm a fight to the death. That should win you favor with the Fae-folk." she said, the barest hint of a smirk. She knew he was joking of course, but that this...flamboyant fellow thought he could fight anyone to the death was laughable. She was fairly certain if he so much as broke a nail he would have a total meltdown. That's how these artsy type folk always were.

That he had to keep up with her charming nature only proved her point. An ego so easily wounded. Such weakness was disgusting. At least she only had to endure it while she had a carving yet to make. She worked quietly, focused on her work, when he asked if she had not interest in joining his guild. "Not in the slightest." she said without hesitation. "I have two young children and am head of my family. I have no time for such a membership." she said.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

"Well, from what I have heard they can be rather violent. Perhaps they would like it." He shrugged and chuckled, this easy to talk about when he had no real intention of fighting anybody, to the death or no.

Bastien noticed Zariah's disgusted expression, how she seemed offended by his smiles and jokes. Ah, a serious person, his least favourite type. But he would not let his distaste show on his face, keeping a careful smile. Perhaps with enough work he could crack her hard shell, let just a little bit of a smile appear. A little hint of happiness.

"Two young children! Do you not think they might enjoy playing with the paints and the clay? I would not mind if you wanted to bring them over. You would not have to be a member of the guild." He offered, unsure if Zariah would let her children do anything quite as fun as art. "What family are you the head of, anyway? I was not aware there were families so large they had heads here."

Bastien
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah
Bring her children? To play in paint? Play in the clay? Oh yes, what a lovely way to spend the afternoon, developing the need to soak her children in a tub after unnecessarily dousing themselves in clay and paint. That sounded just wonderful. Clearly he did not have children, and if he did he had very low standards for them. "The offer is appreciated, and if they have time between their studies, I shall consider it." she said, deciding it not worth it to start an argument over parenting techniques.

In her hands, the chunk of wood was beginning to take shape. A mighty dragon with fire bursting from its maw, tail wrapped around a tree in full bloom. As she used the lightning to burn away bits and pieces, it grew ever more realistic in appearance.

"Our family has always maintained a head, regardless of size." she said. Though really, of those here (Naturals aside) they were the largest intact family. "We are the family Launceleyn, one of the oldest families of magic hailing from the kingdom of Northwind."
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:

"Studies? I thought you said they were young? What can they be studying?" Bastien had grown up with a rather lax attitude to education, only really persuing his knowledge in his teen years and later life; he had been taught reading and writing as a child at home and whenever his parents had had time, school being a luxury for richer and more privileged children.

He was impressed to watch her work, wielding wild lightning as if it were a simple tool. If she had a better temperament, he would have considered asking her if she wanted a more permanent position in the guild, but as it was...he felt she would bring the mood of the place down.

"Ah. Traditions can be both a blessing and a curse. Do you find yourself proud to carry that title, or bound by it?" He asked, theorising as he pressed the clay in the shapes of small flowers.

Bastien
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah
What could they possibly be studying? Briefly a smirk curved her lips before falling back to her usual blank expression. She could have a lot of fun with this one while still being honest. "Oh you know, the usual. Reading. Writing. Arithmetic. Magic. How to kill innocents and feel absolutely nothing." she said, looking at him with a warm smile.

By now her statue was completed, a beautiful piece that would make quite the nice mantel ornament. "Thank you for the materials. I believe this will be a suitable offering." she said as she stood, considering if it was worth answering this man's other questions given the scare she probably gave him. Zariah eyed him quietly, her gaze cold, piercing - the eyes of a coldblooded killer contemplating who might be their next victim.

"I am proud to be bound by my traditions, for they are what make me who I am, and that is a superior human like all who were the product of meticulous breeding over a milenna." she said, her voice low and smooth, almost soothing were her words not so foreboding. "And since you have been so gracious to offer me materials for this ridiculous project, I will give you a piece of advice. If you truly love that woman of yours, I suggest that next you see me, you follow close instruction and keep her in line. Have a good evening, Bastien." she said, turning on her heel and heading out the door.

{EXIT ZARIAH}