Looking for Samples
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
there's a bulletproof bond
As soon as she had gotten her permission, and recovered from the quick buzz she had gotten, Phoebe had gone to the bakery to find Amalia. She seemed the most knowledgeable about the Fae, and the best one to accompany her on this journey. Phoebe had her little device carefully packed in her satchel, as well as a few provisions, just in case. Pim of course was on her shoulder, ready to jump into action if needed.

But for now, it was a quiet journey. Amalia had been quick to agree to help her out once she explained the situation and task at hand, for which Phoebe was very grateful. It was refreshing after having dealt with Edrei.

”Thank you for coming with me, Amalia.” she said as she entered the Greatwood with her, a smile on her lips. ”I hope maybe with my mission from Frey, and her familiarity with you, that Delah will help us find what we need.” she said, both hands holding the strap of her bag. ”I almost didn’t think I was going to make it out here. Edrei was pretty stubborn about that new rule.” she said, rolling her eyes a bit.
between me and you

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
"I'm not sure Delah will want to help," the girl replies wryly, thinking of the ornery fae. "But she showed me how to spot the blight, and once you see it... well, it's easy enough to find."

Amalia had been more than eager to join Phoebe on this journey, though she still chafes at the idea of it having to be sanctioned. Still, she says nothing in response to the midwife's comment about new rules, a tight frown the only sign of her clear displeasure, her fury with this recent turn of events. Jyoti's presence goes far to calm her, the starwhale humming happily, pleased to return to the woods. Her staff is clutched in her right hand, more for light than any protection; a small pack hangs upon her back, with food and water and gloves and a small glass vial for holding whatever they might collect. Delah had warned her not to touch the blight, that doing so would kill, and Amalia has absolute trust in the warchief's knowledge of the woods.

There is another reason why she agreed to this trip, more awkward and personal, and far more terrifying for the baker to broach. Phoebe is a medic, a midwife, and, well, there are certain questions Amalia has, information that books and scrolls and absentee mothers have not been able to supply. "Phoebe... do you- ah, that is-" The girl stumbles over her words, pulling uncomfortably on her shirt, her dark gaze trained on the ground before her. "Is there anything... anything I should know. Health wise. If I'm having sex."
don't make a shadow of yourself, always shutting out the light

Coding base by Sky!
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
Amalia would find herself in good company with her clear distasted for the rules. Pim growled as soon as the name ‘Edrei’ left the young woman’s lips, his tail twitching with irritation. Phoebe laughed a little and patted his head. ”Well, hopefully we can find a few different samples – We will need a blighted and a non-blighted plant of the same species for all of them. That way we can compare them better.” she said. Brown eyes glanced at the way Amalia frowned and she frowned a bit too, glancing at the ground.

”I know everyone is upset. I am too. But…” Phoebe played with her lower lip, unsure how to phrase what she wanted to say. ”Why does it make you so angry, for someone to have taken charge? Is it just because she is an Outlander?” she asked, her voice one of genuine curiosity, holding no judgement towards the baker. She truly just wanted to know, to understand.

But the baker suddenly grew clearly uncomfortable, and Phoebe glanced at her with wide eyes. When she finally gets her question out, she smiles brightly at her. ”Oh! Amalia did you get a boyfriend? Who is it?” she said happily, brightly, nodding her head at her. ”Yes there are things to watch out for. Are you using any sort of protection? Is he your first?” she asked her.
between me and you

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia
"It's not because she's an Outlander." This is only half true - Zariah's status as an Outlander does not earn her any points in the baker's eyes, but her ire with the situation runs far deeper than that. "Or because she's in charge." Again, half truths. Having a Queen chafes something wild at Amalia's core, an independence she feels deeply. They have never had a Queen before, a single person to dictate actions, to figurehead their world.

But their world has never been so big. So perhaps they simply never needed it.

Biting her lip, Amalia tries to find the words to make Phoebe understand a thing she cannot quite name herself. "It's because... because who is she, to decide overnight to tell us what to do? To change our customs without asking, or forbid us from going places, or force us into an army to fight some unknown foe? Did she ever ask anyone if we wanted this? If we had been trying already to change things, or make them better? Why things are the way they are? Where was she during the festivals, or the fires, or LongNight, or even now? She hasn't talked to us, hasn't shown her face, can't respect us enough to ask advice from any of the people who actually care about this place-"

Amalia stops suddenly, because her words have become a growl, her nails claws, her ears leopardlike and pressed against her skull. Anger rolls through her in waves, and beneath that a sort of helplessness, a childlike despair with a complicated world. Exhaling deeply, the girl tries to calm down, fur disappearing and claws retracting until only Amalia remains.

"Sorry," she mutters to the ground, falling silent as they continue to walk.

The change of topic is a welcome one, though Amalia finds herself growing freshly tense at Phoebe's bubbly onslaught, suddenly regretting raising the issue. "Um. Sort of?" Boyfriend seems like the wrong word for what Deimos is to her, too small and minimizing, too childish, too benign. Raising her hand anxiously to pull at her hair, the girl tries to sort through the questions, answering as best she can. "He, ah... he uses a sheath. And no, but I don't... I haven't... had a lot of experience. Just one other, when I was a teenager. And Frey." She shrugs, not sure if the deity really counts for this, but wanting to include them just in case.

Coding base by Sky!
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"Don't be sorry." Phoebe said immediately, without thought. "What you feel is important and matters, and you shouldn't apologize for feeling strongly. Instead, it is important to question if those feelings are adding value or accomplishing anything. Frey said something to that effect once, when I was grieving." she said with a gentle smile. She thoughtfully considered Amalia's words, pausing before saying more.

"If I may...the world I am from always had a monarch. And, even having the world be that way my whole life, the sorts of questions you are asking remained. Who were the Hawthornes to dictate my life when they didn't even know me, or the life I lived, or what did or didn't matter to me or those I cared about." she said, giving her a wry smile. "The kingdom was very large, and the life I lived was in a small quarry village full of common folk. The royals lived in a grand city, far away, in a castle ornamented with gold and rich fabrics, never knowing a day of hunger or struggle...I understand in a way what you feel. Our lives were so different, they didn't know anything about us and yet ruled us."

She paused then, looking up at the trees above, sunlight peaking through the foliage. "And yet, when I actually had an opportunity to meet the Crowned Prince, he was so...normal. He was very kind, and treated me with respect, and it was clear how heavily the burden of leadership weighed on him. It was only then that I realized that even if someone didn't know me, or my life, or what I faced, really the basic need were all the same. He needed to make sure we were all safe, all fed, all clothed, all housed...it made me reevaluate my anger towards him." she smiled and glanced towards Amalia.

"Anger like that is exhausting. And...maybe it would be in your best interest to...just see if maybe it all works out? Not because Zariah deserves it but because you deserve peace. And if she turns out to be a tyrant...well...we will all cross that bridge together and select someone who really has our interests in mind." she offered, not sure if it would help Amalia process her anger or not. But she didn't like thinking such kind people were being consumed with anger over the unknown, which would always be present in life.

"Ooh Frey?" she said with a grin. "I've never been with Frey despite how many times I have seen them. I've just never been comfortable with it but...what was it like? Amazing I bet." she said with a light laugh. As Amalia described what else she had experienced, and what she was using, she nodded slowly. "Well that is good. You can get some illnesses from sex, but the sheath should protect you from most of it. But, if you experience anything unusual - itching, pain, blisters or rashes, weird smells or discharge - you should come see me right away. Or even if you're just unsure or concerned, I can give you an exam and help with remedies." she prattled, as if talking about the weather. "I am assuming you are not wanting to get pregnant if he is using a sheath, if you'd like I can get you some herbal medicines to help suppress your fertility, and some last resort tonics in case the sheath breaks. And then when you do want children we can switch it out to up your fertility."
between me and you

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
Amalia does not respond to Phoebe's comments except to tighten her frown, not particularly interested in being lectured just now. Her anger is too raw, too recent for introspection, and though there may be wisdom in the midwife's words the baker does not see it, too blinded by her own tumultuous thoughts. So she listens without really hearing, reaching out to stroke Jyoti's starlit skin, the floating whale singing softly to soothe her human's troubled mind. By the time Phoebe stops Amalia is more tired than angry; she shrugs, a murmured "Perhaps," given in reply, and lets the subject drop.

The new point of conversation is simultaneously better and worse than the last. Amalia's blush rises on her cheeks, and she shrugs in response to Phoebe's sudden interest, not really wanting to delve much further into her experience with Frey. It had been more transactional than anything else: knowledge in exchange for physical pleasure, a trade given freely between bodies and mind. "It was after the Spire fell. They showed me the history of it, in exchange for orgasms." Perhaps there is something wrong with her, that she does not see it as something joyous, delightful. With Deimos it is different - there is trust, and love, an emotional connection to go with the bodily exchange. With Frey it had been good, but not what she wanted.

They did stay with her, in the end.

Amalia shrugs again, continuing to listen to Phoebe talk, the information stored away with no small amount of rising alarm. Strange smells? Itching? Pain? The girl can't say she's felt any of that, though now she begins to wonder and doubt, anxiety an easy spiral into which she sinks. It isn't until the mention of fertility that Amalia's head shoots up, a surprised laugh leaving her lungs, genuine and amused. "When?" she repeats, shaking her head, a rueful grin upon her lips. "I never plan on having children. So those herbs sound great."

Coding base by Sky!
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
”Ohhh.” Phoebe said in understanding nodding a bit. ”Well, should you have need of Frey again, a simple basket of fruit, and the memory of the times with whoever your fellow is should more than suffice your debts.” she said, speaking from experience. Frey got enjoyment vicariously through the pleasure people experienced, so she doubted Amalia would have to trade that way again.

She looked genuinely surprised at her eagerness, and she truly gaped when she revealed she didn’t want children. ”You don’t want them ever?” Phoebe said, clearly shocked. Not angrily so, she just had not considered that one could truly not want children, given her prerogative for the exact opposite. But people were different and chose different paths. She wouldn’t fault her that, and instead giggled a little. ”I can’t imagine that. I want a lot of children.” she admitted. ”But I would be happy to prepare you some strong remedies to reduce your fertility. You’ll have to take them regularly to work, and they aren’t completely effective so he will still need to use the sheath, but it will give you an added protective measure.”
between me and you

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
Amalia pushes back the flicker of wry irritation that an Outlander would try to instruct the girl on how to pray to her own gods, smoothing down her hair and taking a calming breath. Tensions have been high all around, and it would not do for the baker to project her frustrations onto Phoebe, who has only ever been kind and well-meaning, if a little bewilderingly overeager. "I'll remember that," is all she says, smiling slightly at the other girl.

The midwife's surprise takes Amalia slightly aback, a bemused frown pulling at her brows. "I can't imagine wanting any, let alone lots." Her laugh is not unkind, more amused, though she shudders at the thought of trying to wrangle multiple small humans, to instill them all with the values of life and protect them from the hardships of the world. "Emmett feels the same, then?" she questions slyly, a sidelong glance given to Phoebe, pleased to be able to turn the tables at last. "He does come from a sizable family. My mom helped deliver a few of them, you know."

Something black catches her eye, and Amalia suddenly kneels, pushing aside some grass. "Look!" Pointing to a shiny, unnatural patch of snow moss, the girl's voice and expression grows harsh. "That's what the blight looks like. Don't touch it. Here-" and she produces the glove and small glass vial, ready to scrape up a sample and tuck it away.

Coding base by Sky!
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Had Phoebe known of Amalia’s irritation, she would have been absolutely mortified and apologized profusely. Her experience had been that Frey seemed the most misunderstood of the deities and so she did her best to spread what she had learned of them, for those to take or leave as the will, purely for helpfulness sake. But alas, she didn’t know, and so she simply smiled at Amalia. ”Happy to share what I’ve learned.” she said happily with a little nod.

”Well, different strokes for different folks so I’ve heard.” Phoebe said with a light laugh, moving over her shock and into simply enjoying the conversation. But the question about Emmett made her hesitate a bit, a flash of sadness crossing her features. ”Ah…yes he is but…I don’t think that’ll happen any time soon.” she said, the touch of melancholy in her voice as she glanced at the ground. She pulled herself out of it quickly at the mention of Amalia’s mother. ”Did she really? She was a midwife then?” she said with a grin.

Once again though, their attention was dragged back to the task at hand. ”Pim, Jyoti, stay back okay?” Phoebe said to the two companions, remembering Frey’s warning. Pim grumble growled but shuffled back, sniffing the air curiously from where he plopped down on untainted grass. Phoebe knelt across from Amalia, careful not to touch the blighted moss. She took the jar and put on the glove, holding the jar steady for Amalia to place the sample into. Once they collected the blighted sample, Phoebe pulled out a small jar from her bag, carefully collecting healthy samples of the same snow moss nearby. ”This way when we look at the blighted one, we can compare it to the healthy one and hopefully pinpoint whatever the difference is.” she said, tucking them into her pack.
between me and you

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
"Not a midwife exactly, but she was a medic at the infirmary." Amalia shrugs, as though that sums everything up - and in a way, it does. Here if someone can do a thing successfully they do all of the associated aspects as well. Rishima had been a great medic: it simply made sense that she delivered life in addition to seeing it snuffed out. Besides, there had always been too few people here to merit such levels of specialization.

At least, that had been the case.

The melancholy tone of Not any time soon escapes Amalia's notice. Instead she nods in agreement, pleased that at least Phoebe is waiting before bringing children into the world. She does not voice her misgivings about the pair, though the thought remains, circling in her mind. Instead she simply smiles, tilting her head in quiet agreement before the distraction of the plants saves them both from more awkward small talk, and Amalia in particular from putting her foot in her mouth.

Delicately Amalia holds the jar as Phoebe places the sample, before corking it and handing it back to the younger girl. Rising back up with a glare of consternation for the blighted plants, the baker turns to the midwife, nodding in reply as she collects an unaffected selection of moss. "Do we need more?"

Coding base by Sky!
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"Ah, I see. That makes sense." she said with a small smile. In the Hollowed Grounds it seemed most people were generalists at their trades, rather than specialists like her. But it made sense. They had limited resources, so it was better to be a jack of all trades. There was more use for broad skill sets than specialized ones. "I am sure she could have taught me much about the remedies from here. I would've liked to learn from her." she admitted. As it was, there weren't many Natural healers, at least none that made themselves known enough for her to find them.

Once the samples were packed away safely she glanced around. "Well, it would be best if we could find other blighted species, so we can compare. I suspect that whatever this sickness is will look the same between them all." she said. Then it would be process of elimination - narrowing down all the types of cells there were until they found the ones causing the sickness.
between me and you

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
"She enjoyed teaching." A smile pulls at her lips, far-off and difficult to clearly defined, as though she is half-remembering something that happened to someone else. Amalia's mother had taught her many things, loathe as the girl had been to learn at times. "I know a little about medicine, but not very much. I spent most of my time learning to bake." A wry smile; perhaps is is the less useful skill, but it is the only one Amalia had patience for.

Amalia rises as the samples are packed away, turning with a nod to Phoebe. "Should be easy to find, now," she comments, shuddering a little at the memory of that unnaturally blue metallic leaf. Striding forward toward the Mathair, Amalia tilts her head. "So... You know Frey. Have you met the others?" She wants the conversation to be easier, on safer footing than the topics earlier broached.

Coding base by Sky!
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe smiled over at her, warm and endearing. ”Medicine isn’t for everyone. The horrified looks I get from people on occasion when I try to explain things makes that very clear.” she said with a light laugh. ”I enjoy baking but I don’t think I could have ever done it as a profession. The things I make aren’t very pretty.” she admitted. Oh sure, it all tasted good, but the second you introduced something that involved decoration or buttercream it ended up looking a hot mess.

The young blonde followed Amalia’s lead, eyes peeled for other plants that looked similarly afflicted as the moss had been. ”Yes, I’ve met both Safrin and Ludo. Safrin, just once. I went to apologize for another Outlander’s behavior towards her. He was very rude.” she said, brow furrowing. ”And I didn’t want her angry with all of us because of his actions. She was very sweet though, and she sent me a little glow fish over Long Night.” she said with a smile. ”Ludo, I met more recently. I went to pay my respects for someone I recently lost and they came to comfort me a little…I think.” she said with a melancholy smile.

”But Frey I have met many times. They even visited me once at my home, without my even praying for them.” she said with a smile at the memory. ”What about you? I am sure you have met them all?” she asked.
between me and you

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
Amalia echoes the girl's laugh, shaking her head ruefully. "My mother had some impressive stories," she replies lightly, though something in her face hardens off as she thinks of some of those tales. There had been family and friends among the dead; she remembers the discussions with Rory, with Wessex, the losses that could tear them all apart. But Phoebe redirects the topic, and the girl is grateful to be distracted away. "Neither are mine," she remarks with a wry smile. "I would love to try your baking sometime."

She cannot help her flashing interest at Phoebe's experiences with the gods, tilting her head to listen, enjoying the reverence they apparently share. Her comments on Safrin make the girl smile, fondness for the starlit goddess clearly marked in her expressive face. "I am sorry for your loss," she says sincerely, wondering who Phoebe might have seen fall away. She has not heard of many deaths of late, but that is not to say she knows everyone who is lost.

Phoebe's fondness for Frey makes sense, given her profession- and while Amalia loves each of the gods, she cannot say she feels a particular kinship for the fertility god. Though perhaps that will change now that she has Deimos... shaking her head, Amalia smiles lightly, still looking in the underbrush for damaged plants. "I've been blessed by all three... Safrin gave me the gift of being Attuned. Though my grandmother had a particular fondness for Ludo."

Coding base by Sky!