Random Event the bleak

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
but why did you
move the mirrors?
Fear is such a strange thing when you’re young. Fear of the monsters under your bed, of bugs in your mattress, of apples seeds sprouting trees in your belly. But monsters, real ones that prowl outside? That’s just a stupid story for babies. Just like how Ludo will steal away your covers or how Safrin will cut off all your hair if you’re naughty. It isn’t real.

A trio of children, no older than Roana’s own boys, trot through the darkness. They each hold a candle, the flickers of which bob and weave as the group dances beneath the softly falling snow.

The highest rafters of the guildhall offer a look out through the mostly-covered windows, from which the dancing lights illuminating smiling faces can be seen...
we miss watching you

LONGNiGht
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 24 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
ROANA
Roana had planned to simply hide until LongNight was over, carefully plotting her next steps. The Voice needed to go down, and the only way was to take away her toys, her weapons, the Ascended. But as she sat upon the rafters, the lights dancing in the distance caught her bright blue gaze. They narrowed, a light gasp escaped her lips. Three small children, out during LongNight?

No.

She knew they were not her own, Phoebe would never let her boys still be out and about, but it didn't matter. A good mother did not stop being a mother just because the children were not hers. Roana knew they might be monsters, but she couldn't risk it. What if they weren't?

The former Captain jumped into action, leaping off the rafters to the ground and sprinting to the exit. No one would stop her as she sped past the unsuspecting people in the guildhall. She burst through the door, caring not for the danger to herself, and rushed towards the children.
I am lost to those I thought were friends
they pretend that they don't see
It's one miss step, one slip, before you know it
and there doesn't seem a way to be redeemed

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
but why did you
move the mirrors?
There were cries of, ooof!, and what the hell? that rang through the hall as Roana sprinted towards the door. Unlocked as it was the ex-captain easily threw it open and disappeared into the night. Given all the newer faces in the guildhall, there weren’t many who immediately recognized Roana, especially given how sequestered away she’d been.

The three children looked up at the approach of an adult, immediately going on the defensive. ”We’re allowed! Our mum says that we could go and play if’n we was reeaaaal quiet, and so—” The lie was cut off as an ominous crackling echoed from somewhere in the deep recesses of the pitch darkness. A sound like break twigs (or bones).
we miss watching you

LONGNiGht
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
ROANA
Roana didn’t really care who she ran into or knocked over on her way out of the guildhall. There were children who were out in the dark amongst the monsters, and she needed to get to them now.

Hot steam burst through her lips in puffs as she reached the children, a hand on the hilt of the claymore at her side. ”Don’t you dare lie to me.” she said in a low, stern mom-voice – not needing to hear all of it to know that no mother would let their children out during LongNight. But the sound of cracking broke through the crisp, cold air, and in an instant she drew the claymore, stepping protectively in front of the children. ”Go, hurry, to the guildhall children!” she whispered, urging them to run.

Change author:
but why did you
move the mirrors?
Swift as shadows stretched long be the presence of light, they come.

Teeth glint and shine from the meager candlelight, and it takes only the looming whites of the approaching eyes to send the children running and screaming towards the door. Roana’s claymore is like a toothpick before the monstrosity as it grows and merges, a thing without beginning or end. An amalgamation of death.

“We will go after your children next, Roana Steadman. We will play games with their bones.” The monster answered in voice as hollow as dirt being thrown on a child-sized coffin. Rushing forward they, or it, cover her. They pour into her mouth, slice through her ears and shatter her eardrum. They fill the pockets of her teeth until they are popped out.
we miss watching you

LONGNiGht
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
The children go running - as they should - and she serves the martyrous distraction for the beast. It possess her body, and she gasps, choked and flailing for but a moment. The pain… it is surreal, truly supernatural, and instinct tells her this is her time. But she would not greet Mort a compliant fallen, she will fight, tooth and claw and bring this beast to the feet of the god of death. She would greet him as an old friend, and they could rejoice over the death of this evil, if only for the children.

"Oh, no. You're coming with me, fucker." she snarled around the blackness. She swung her sword, gaze reddened with her own blood, ripping and tearing through the beast, knowing her life was lost but thinking only of the children she came to protect. If it took every last bit of life in her to cull this evil she would.

Change author:
but why did you
move the mirrors?
Her swipes might have caused the phantom grunt of pain here or there, but largely, it was ineffective. Roana might have bested rock-cats and spire demons in the past, but banded together as the monsters were, a woman and her claymore did not an army make. Like that one scene in the Matrix where Neo is enveloped by the metallic stuff, they cover Roana inside and out, breaking down muscle and bone, though leaving her face for last so that she might helplessly cry out into the cold and dark night. The last thing she will hear will be her own screams and the silence that follows. They fester in her belly, eating away at the balls of her feet, sliding along her muscles in an orchestra of agony perfectly executed.

Meanwhile, the children had run frantically to the guildhall, their tiny fists pounding on the door. "Help help! It got the lady! We didn't know! Please let us in! It's got her!!"
we miss watching you

LONGNiGht
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
It is hopeless. She cannot bring down the monsters on her own. But she is not alone. Not really.

It takes every ounce of strength and pure stubbornness, but with the monsters roiling inside her, for a moment they were trapped. Perhaps they could still be destroyed. Perhaps she could save more than the children. The queen of blades stumbled and crawled and dragged her way back to the guildhall doors, too weak now to stand. "Ronin! Ronin end it, please! I need...to be burned!" she cried out, each twitch of muscle and grasp for breath agony.

Oh, how the tables had turned. She had caused his demise, and now he needed to cause hers.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
REMI
all the things we said when we were younger
The sound of little fists upon the door had the alchemist on his feet near instantly. "Door opening—!" He called to warn any near the foyer. Magic sang in his blood as feathers, mane, and talons began to coat him in various places. Even so, there was no hesitation as he swung open the door, prepared to greet the dark and shadowy things who might be there.

Only...?

Three small faces pushes their way inside, one clinging to his pants as the other two darted further in. Looking up with a shocked expression, he saw...something, laid out in the snow. "Isla, Zuriel!" The alchemist called loudly, adrenaline humming through him as he half-closed the door so as not to invite anything else towards the house. Quickly though the shape outside began to move, rising and staggering towards him.

And lo and behold, it was Roana. For all of his rage, the alchemist felt only anguish at seeing her: bloody, deflating from the inside. "RONIN—" He screamed over his shoulder, before pulling Roana inside and shutting the door behind her. "Shh, you are alright. The children are safe." Who they were, how Roana was here and not locked up, he hadn't time to ask. All of that could be dealt with once the unicorns came.

did it bend or did I break?

Coding base by Sky!
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword
Warden of Halo / Guildmaster

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 14 - Strg: 72 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 73 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
BELIAL - Mythical - Peryton (Blend) ZURIEL - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824

Deimos the Reaper

master of nothing place, of recoil and grace

The call came, erupting over the sanction, and the unicorn followed, a creed, a conviction in her heart and lungs, pride and superiority a foregone conclusion, but not so readily apparent now. Not when she was needed, not when she was required. She moved on fluid shadows and intervals, a divine thing of the forest, of the wind, of the earth, pulsing and persisting her way through the eaves and corridors – the first stings of many causing the slightest widening of her brilliant, blue eyes, kneeling, kneeling, kneeling before the woman, horn extended, healing attributes bristling, trying.

Deimos slid behind, at a greater distance – narrowing his eyes and wondering just how Roana was here, when he’d left her in a jail cell, when Loren was supposed to have been watching her, when the world tilted on its axis and split apart her screams. No words were necessary, not now.

image credits
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
A deeper conversation is all I want from you-
Amalia, too, hears the commotion, springing to her feet a moment after Remi, long horns sprouting from her head and lavender fire lingering on the edges of her fingers. She does not run out into the night, does not follow the unicorn or the manticore half-man: it is a foregone conclusion, what will happen, and she has nothing that will help.

Someone needs to address the danger that now lingers within.

Because inside the guild there are now three children, and Amalia does not know them. "Don't let them get in further!" the half-qilin cries, while Jyoti emits a fierce orb of starlight, hoping to calm the scene before things can get out of hand. "We need to hold them," the baker whispers fiercely to Deimos, nodding to the unknown creatures. "Until we can make sure they're human." She has a plan for that, the luxere staff already in her hand, and so she lunges for one of the little ones, trying to sooth them into her presence but also land a tight grip on its shoulder so it cannot run away. "I need you to grab this staff. Then we'll get you food."

Amalia tries to grab one of the kids and make them touch the luxere staff. She indicates Deimos should grab the other two.
- I want the words you're afraid to say:
the lonely ones you keep hidden
between the folds of your heart

Change author:
but why did you
move the mirrors?
Terrified, the child grabbed by Amalia falls instantly still under her darkened gaze. "mm..k?" He murmurs uncertainly, looking anxiously at the staff, then back at her. Reaching out with a trembling hand, the boy grabs at the staff.

Nothing happens.
we miss watching you

LONGNiGht
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061

Ronin had seen her, in truth. His life as of late had been little more than guesswork and rumours (or so it felt) - Roana had been arrested, Roana had attacked Sam, and so on. He’d been intending to go and visit her in the cell, but LongNight had come too soon, and so the guildmaster had resigned himself to a sincere apology and yet another sad admission that he had been late.

But then he had seen her in the guildhall. At first an assumed illusion - because Ronin was hardly his best self being cooped up in the guildhall at LongNight - he had ignored it. But at realising it really was Roana, he had... what? Done nothing? Obviously.

Mutiny was easy to kindle in an enclosed space, and revealing the presence of an apparent fugitive would only set a spark to that fuse. She was safe, and that had been enough.

Was safe.

The scene that greeted him was nothing short of monstrous - Ronin brushed past the others; Deimos, Amalia, the children, and ran to Remi and the dying former captain. Starlight burst from him in fractured waves, riding on the ripples of his emotions, and he swore under his breath as he found himself on his knees beside her. ”Take them in,” he called, obviously meaning the children. They didn’t need to see this - he could already feel the sight of it working its fingers into his brain, storing the nightmares away for later.

Roana’s words belatedly filtered through and into his mind. Burned? ”I can’t burn you, Roana.” Even as he said it, he knew it was a lie. There were plenty of torches and sconces around them. Any one would do.

RONIN
Darkness is a funny thing. It creeps up on you.
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
"Nonono its too late leave me, let me go!" she pleaded, her voice a strangled gasp as Remi pulled her in and called for healing unicorns. It was too late, too late and she would walk to death of her own free will in this. To live on after this sort of pain and damage to her physical form would be nothing short of torturous suffering.

She could distinctly feel as each nerve ending snapped and popped, eaten away by the monsters within, her body trembling uncontrollably. And the pain there were simply no words for - but then she saw his face above her, near angelic as he glowed iridescent emotions. "You must." she wheezed at him, her voice contorted seemingly joined by others as the monsters consumed her. "The monsters...are in me...I can't for long..." Blood leaked from the corners of her lips. Even then the former captain fought the demons, will and grit and ferocity battling to keep them at bay long enough for those still alive to destroy them - and her.

But it was hard, looking up at those handsome blue eyes, alight, denying always the hard truth. She knew though he would do what he must. That is what soldiers did. No one understood it but him. "My boys...Ronin please..." she said, voice sounding more and more metallic as time went on. Her hands fumbled, tugging at rings on her fingers to palm them in her hand Blood leaked from her eyes in place of tears, a trembling hand with blackened nails reaching up for him, the two enchanted rings she wore there for him to take. "Care for them like your own... please...tell them I'm sorry and I love them..."

Her body jerked, convulsing under the strain, a cry of utter agony echoing through the hall as she tried to stay focused, alive just long enough for them to end it. Her own eyes, whites reddened and blues dimmed as death encroached, found the Fallen Star's again. "I love you Ronin...but please...save these people...you must destroy me...I don't...die for nothing...Rnnnn..." Her teeth gritted against the pain. Her battle was a losing one, and time was short.