Bonds That Burn
For Amalia
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Age: 36 | Height: 6'3" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Adam
Somehow, they'd all made it out of the Monster Hunter's guild alive. Adam had spent the journey anxious, holding Pet's hand and peering out into the darkness, convinced his head was going to be bitten off his shoulders at any given second.

Amalia and Deimos had miraculously joined them at the last moment and he found himself unable to look Amalia quite in the eyes, knowing he had turned to leave without her; he had waited until the last chance but he had ultimately given up. Had she realised? He didn't know, but he knew himself and that was enough for him to feel like shit.

When they arrived at the temple he made sure Pet was somewhere safe (and clear on the fact that he was to not fucking go outside without telling someone) then went to find her, feeling like he had to say something.

Of course, this was Adam. So when he approached Amalia all he did was put his hands on his hips and say: "...So that was pretty...intense, huh?"

Maybe I'm not as dark as I think
Maybe I'm scared to Admit that
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580

AMALiA
Amalia is sitting in a corner on the floor when Adam finds her, Jyoti nestled securely in her lap. After the flurry of escape and their flight through the dark, the blazing, crumbling guildhall casting dangerous light behind them - after they rejoined the group with luxere, being careful, alert, to guard against stragglers and attacks - after they got everyone into the Temple, secured and accounted for, the large door clicking closed behind them - after the adrenaline that rose as hot as the fire in her chest had finally faded away, all she was left with was exhaustion and fear, and memories of the year before.

Jyoti goes a long way to calm her nerves, but even then Amalia is rattled. Her mind keeps flashing between images of the Spark Bird's perch and Edy's feral grin and the fire in the guildhall, and it is with hands that quiver more than a little that she strokes Jyoti's starlit back. Amalia's gaze is distant, distracted, lit by the fire she stares into blankly as her mind continues to churn; she is covered in soot and ash, but she is alive. She ought to be happier. She ought to be braver. She-

It takes a moment for Adam's voice to cut through the fog that is her anxious mind. Tilting her head up to look at her friend the Shield blinks a moment as though confused. "Adam?" she says softly, her voice hoarse from inhaled smoke. That was pretty intense. Something like a smile pulls at her lips but doesn't meet her eyes as she turns back to the whale in her lap. "Yeah. It was. Are you... are you okay?"

the darkest nights produce the brightest stars
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Age: 36 | Height: 6'3" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Adam
The not-quite smile on Amalias lips was met with a tightlipped and no more joyful one on Adam's. He sat down next to her, Coffee, coming to curl up next to his legs, the little dragon puffing small tendrils of smoke out of it's nostrils, trying to cool down after the intensity of the fire. "Yeah, I'm okay. Alive, right? That's all you can really ask for."

It was a miracle everyone had made it. As much as Adam had wanted to tease Deimos, he had to admit the man had been brave, braver than Adam had ever known how to be. "Is...Deimos alright? I know you and him stayed behind for a bit..." Uncomfortably he bit his lip and looked at the fire, wondering if she knew he had begun to set off without them. Was it worth mentioning if she hadn't?

"D'ya know why the fire started?" He suspected it was something to do with monsters, given how it had scratched Pet and targeted his items, but desperately he wanted it to be an accident, a stray match or ember coincidentally meeting a floorboard.

Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:

AMALiA
Amalia glances over at Adam as be comes to sit beside her, extending a hand for Coffee to sniff with the promise of skritches should the dragon wish. Jyoti, too, greets their friends, though with significantly less enthusiasm than usual. A week of darkness and being trapped indoors has been nauseating for the little whale, especially given her usual diet of starlight. There is scarcely even a glimmer to the creature who sits in Amalia's lap and coos up at Adam.

The question about Deimos' well being catches her by surprise, eliciting another pained, mirthless smile from the baker's tired lips. "He inhaled a lot of smoke, trying to hold the fire back." Her voice is soft as she gazes into the flames, eyebrows furrowed in clear concern. "He... He burned it down. Once we knew everyone was out. The whole thing is just.. gone."

He might not want to hear the answer, but Amalia knows it with the certainty of someone who has lived through many LongNights past. "Monsters. They got in- probably through the bodies." If Roana hadn't gone and gotten herself infected, would they have made it? Another final, misguided attempt by the soldier to redeem herself by acting without any real thought or regard.

It is wrong, she knows, to think such of the dead, but right now Amalia cannot help it. She is tired, and burnt, and ready for this night to end. The baker winces as she shifts against the wall, a burn on her left arm that she hadn't noticed rubbing painfully onto the wood.

Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:

Adam
Coffee eagerly deposited himself close enough to Amalia for the offered scratches, fond of this friend of his dads (Adam had tried the word 'master' but it had just felt weird, like he was keeping slaves. Now he was just Dragon Dad).

"Oh...shit." Adam responded to the news about Deimos; he assumed the man must have survived his smoke inhalation or Amalia would be considerably more upset than she was, but it didn't sound good. He knew the building had burnt down behind them, but he hadn't known it had been intentional. "Where is he, then? Is there magic that can sort that out?"

Monsters...through bodies? He thought back on Caisides body, how Jigano had been keeping such a vigilant watch over it. Had the bard been keeping an eye out for monsters? "So...are they dead now? The monsters, I mean."

Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:

AMALiA
"Zuriel will take care of him. Healing magic... doesn't work, on life drain users." Amalia lets her fingers trail under Coffee's chin, gently scratching the little dragon in the places where his scales thin. Again, that mirthless smile crosses her lips, never quite rising to her eyes. "He's been through worse." It isn't exactly something she's happy about, but it is a fact. He has been through more than fire and smoke.

They both have.

Under different circumstances Amalia might have replied with reassurance, might have promised Adam that all would be well and that the troubles are nearly behind them. But today she is tired; LongNight has taken its toll on the girl, left her quiet and stifled to the point where all she can hope to do is endure. Wincing as she gingerly moves her injured arm from its place against the wall, the baker shakes her head. "I don't know."

Had it been enough? Had they done enough? Only time would tell.

Sighing, Amalia leans back again, her hand leaving Coffee to return to the starwhale curled in her lap. She isn't sure what else to say to him (or to anyone, for that matter), so she settles for surface conversation, trying to ignore the panic and anxieties and flashbacks that lurk so close below. "Is Peter okay? And the luxere?"

Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:

Adam
"Zuriel...? Who's that?" Adam asked, pulling a 'huh' face as he heard those with Life Drain (a power that sounded incredibly cool) could not be healed. Did that mean Deimos was just fucked? Hopefully not, as much as their meeting had gone cold. "I'm sure he has. Dude seems like a badass."

That Amalia could only tell him she didn't know about the monsters unnerved him; usually the shield had such definitive answers about her faith and the Gods protection, the supernatural occurrences of Caido. If she was unsure, it felt like the foundation beneath them was cracked and unsteady.

With Amalia's hand leaving his head, Coffee leaned back in towards Adam's leg. Adam idly ran his fingers over the scales on his dragon's back as he moved onto Peter, happy at least he had good news there. "Peter is fine, and um...I think his little Luxere thingy is undead anyway, isn't it? Either way it's alright. Apro...Apri? Yeah. Apricum, he called it." Adam had barely had time to get used to the new pet before they'd had to move.

Speaking of...with a sigh, he rubbed at the back of his neck. "Hey, uh...are you mad that me and Pet left before you guys? I tried to wait til the proper last moment..."

Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:

AMALiA
"His companion. A unicorn." Amalia turns soft fingers down Jyoti's back, trying to soothe her own restless companion. The topic isn't an unwelcome one, their soulmates a welcome distraction from the horrors they just escaped. "Apricum," the baker repeats, a soft smile on her lips. She is grateful that that particular adventure, at least, yielded some level of success.

The smile falters once again as Adam brings up the fire. Though this time it's replaced by a confused frown, Amalia blinking as she turns to look at Adam. "You... waited?"  Truth be told, Amalia had been so focused on getting everyone out so that Deimos could release the fire she'd hardly noticed who those stragglers were, or why they lingered. "For us?"

Something tightens warmly in her throat, twisting her mouth into an unsteady line as emotions flash across her face. Gratitude, relief, aggravation, wonder... And suddenly she laughs, lightly, only a couple of exhaled notes as her head leans back against the wall. "No. I'm not mad."

Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:

Adam
"A unicorn. Deimos, with a unicorn." Adam couldn't help the snort, the image so funny he had to purposefully pull his sudden amusement back down to a sombre smile more appropriate for the tone of the conversation. "Er...I hope it helps him."

Amalia apparently was not even aware Adam had waited. He wasn't sure if that made him feel better or worse, really, but at least it probably meant there were no hard feelings about him not waiting long enough. "'Course I did, Ama. You're probably my best goddamn friend in this dump and I didn't want to just go." He clapped her on the shoulder though his hand became less sure as Amalia seemed to go through a whole series of emotions in little time.

Laughing was probably good though, right? "Oh, good. Cos I know you made it anyway, but I was worried you'd think I was a shitty friend or something. I'm...glad you made it out okay." He smiled, more genuine than he meant to.

Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:

AMALiA
"I'm your best friend?" Again Amalia sounds bemused, though there is a hint of wonder in her alto voice, a strange sort of blush crawling stalwartly up her cheeks. "Why?" Surely she has done little to deserve such recognition, to earn his affection and trust in this way? Maybe it's simply an expression, an empty vow, a thing to make her feel better about his (apparent) desertion. She shouldn't take it seriously. It isn't a big deal.

But still the girl is flushed and happy, a silly smile on her lips. She has never been somebody's best friend before.

Running her hand over the cool stone floor, the baker tries to regain some semblance of composure, unconsciously leaning into the pressure of Adam's hand on her shoulder. "You're not a shitty friend," she replies immediately, another small laugh leaving her lips as she opens her eyes to regard him. The smile on her lips is slightly crooked, far too happy for the situation. "You're a great friend. A... a best friend. For me. Too."

Smooth, Amalia. Real smooth. So much for it not being a big deal, huh?

Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:

Adam
"Well, yeah..." Adam awkwardly confirmed, embarrassed laughter touching his features. She asked the mortifying question why and naturally he deflected, rolling his eyes (though not unkindly): "Hey now, I'm not proposing or anything. I just think you're pretty alright. You stick with me and put up with my shit and we get on, yeah?" Coffee affectionately rubbed his snout against Amalia's leg, at least one of them not afraid to show his true feelings.

Oh Jesus, it seemed like he'd started a thing accidentally. With a sigh as he decided to take it seriously, Adam nodded. "Yeah, I know. S'nice to hear it though. That's why I felt bad, y'know? Best friends don't leave each other. But I tried my best for you and...and I'm always gonna, okay?" He nudged her with his elbow, unsure what had made him want to promise but feeling it was important.

Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:

AMALiA
Clearly she has somewhat overreacted, but Amalia remains too pleasantly bewildered by this development to question her response. Now that the initial flush of surprise is passed Amalia's smile widens, dark eyes glittering wickedly, her expression somewhere between incredulous and smug. "You like me," she teases, finding some relief in lighthearted playfulness. It's easier than the deep emotions threatening to overcome her at every any second.

Leaning forward she turns to Adam, scooting close enough that she can lean against his bony shoulder. "Under all that big talk and swagger, you're just a big softy." From beneath long lashes she peers up at him, wrinkling her nose playfully. "Don't worry. I won't tell. And... thank you. For waiting for me. Though if you'd gotten yourself hurt trying to protect me I might have had to kill you."

Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:

Adam
Amalia's expression, one so delighted, made it hard for him not to grin as he said: "Well hey now, let's not get crazy. You're just my best friend, that doesn't mean I like you." At this point he was pretty confident that even as insecure as she could be, Amalia would know he was joking.

He put an arm around her, pulling her close and momentarily leaning his head against hers. "Okay, but under that softy layer, there's another sexier, swaggery-er, better layer." Adam insisted, though there wasn't too much bite in it. There were few people who could get away with calling out his semi-golden heart (perhaps more a rusty silver?), but Amalia was one of them.

"Of course. Next time I'll just push you in, then." Laughing and squeezing her he settled in to sit there for a while and watch the denizens of the temple go by, glad to still have Amalia with him.