Personal Quest let's make this bar a home
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 59
how do you wanna face it? when the end is so close you can taste it
I been slackin’ long enough. Returnin’ to the Hanged Man is painful, the front a’her covered by tarps, empty an’ boozeless. After surveyin’ an’ assassin’ the situation, I get some advice from a carpenter an’ think I know what I have to do. We can’t really work durin’ midday, it’s too hot, so I decide to start work before the crack ‘a dawn, gettin’ it all ready with supplies the night before, sleepin’ in the back room, and then rising at a god awful time. With any luck, I’ll have some friends an’ loyal patrons to help me with it, cause it sure as hell can’t be done by myself.

I start by lighting lanterns an’ hanging or placid’ them on every surface an’ extra nail I can find, trying to cast enough light inside an’ out to make it a safe work environment. Once that is done, I just gotta wait an’ hope people show it.

----------------

This is a PQ to rebuild (and potentially expand, if we get enough people) the Hanged Man!

Unlimited spaces. Will move forward in 48 hours.
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
MILO
now they're standing in the door
singin' "that's my shit, that's my shit"
The light isn’t hard to see, not as the lanterns wake him up, popping through the window and right against his face like a very annoying alarm. He yawns, stretching out, about to go out and tell said person that it’s too early for lights to be out when the sun would be up soon enough. But as he inspects further, it’s for the Hanged Man, and is that Raza he sees off in the distance hanging another?

He sighs, rubs at his tired eyes and splashes some water on his face, before tossing on some clothes haphazardly and makes his way down the alley to the Hanged Man. He doesn’t announce his presence in the form of a hello as he enters, but he does yawn before he speaks.

Aye Raza, it’s too fuckin’ early.” It’s a bit of a protest as he moves his way in and leans against a crate, stifling another yawn. “S’pose I can help s’long as there’s coffee and booze waitin’ fer the aft’rparty.” He flashes an entirely innocent grin her way, playful as he could be with how tired he felt. But he’s here now, an extra body to help fix up one of Torchline’s staples.
that's what everybody wants an' some more
singing "you may be the death of me"
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
JACK
”The fuck happened here?” Jack’s cheerful presence is clearly one that everyone has missed, and the captain ducks under the tarps and into the garish, lantern fucked pre-dawn light of what’s left of the Hanged Man. It doesn’t look its best, and neither does its owner, but hell if he’ll say that after a season at sea. Jack’s of the opinion that the fuckers who came before him might’ve been right; women on a ship is unlucky.

He never got double fucked by a ghost whale and a tempest before he had a bunch of crew members with tits, put it that way.

Clapping Milo’s shoulder probably a lot harder than he needs to, he moves to lean against one of the counters still standing. ”What’d you need?”
you wanted perfect, you got your perfect
but now I'm too perfect for someone like you
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Theo Caldwell
Grifter

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749

Theo

Theo had never exactly made a habit of getting up early, but he also hadn't found a great place to sleep the previous night, so it wasn't much of a loss. Not much gain, either: not enough people awake at this hour for him to find any occupation for entertainment or profit. He supposed he could always do some quiet burglary while no one was about ...

The sight of people congregating at the bar drew him over. He'd assumed the place was closed, due to the monsoon damage, but if it was opening up again, maybe he could mooch a drink ...

Nope, looked like there was only hard labor to be done here. Theo was usually allergic to work, but with no other game in town at the moment, he wouldn't mind earning the barkeep's gratitude, with an eye towards free drinks in the future.

So he slid into the damaged bar with a smile. "Did someone say booze and coffee after? I'm game to lend a hand, then. Just tell me what to do."

can't say good morning without lying twice

coding base by Skylark
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 10 - Int:
KI - Regular - Panther Chamelon
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
tried to fight the creeping sense of dread with temporal things
You show up late and it's still damn early, the sun having barely passed what civilized people would call the ass crack of dawn. It's a good thing for Raza that you're damned fond of her and the Hanged Man, because anything less than true brotherly affection would not have gotten you out of bed and into town at this ungodly hour.

You're scruffy, and there's tired lines around your eyes, but by the time you make it to the Hanged Man you are mostly awake. And you've got some loot justify your lateness, bearing a pot of coffee and some malasadas that you sweet-talked out of a local auntie. The bounty is dropped unceremoniously onto a not-broken table, and you waste no time stuffing a dried dough ball into your mouth. You don't work before you've eaten. It simply isn't done.
ZEPHYR
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Well if it ain’t my boys, steppin’ up an’ comin’ out to help their favorite barkeep. I’m flattered, really.

“Always, Milo. An’ maybe some’a Saiden’s fer lunch, too.” Flashin’ the kid a smile, I turn to Jack as he comes up an’ makes us three. “Monsoons were a bitch this year. Almost constant, an’ with a Sea Panther comin’ t’shore, I couldn’t get to it afore season’s end.” Clearly disappointed in myself for not takin’ care’a my baby, I just shrug. I’m here now. They’re here now. We can fix it up all pretty.

A stranger shows up, which I’m quite grateful for - an’ Zeph, which makes us five. Great. While he stuffs his face (can’t blame him, really), I pull out a roll of blueprints and lay ‘em out on the table. “So we’re gonna fix it to look like this. A little improvement, some more room.” Aka Astor doesn't fucking know what she wants. I hope the magic will hold for whatever we put in its place, but honestly that’s the least’a my concerns right now. “Let’s take out the palm trees, “ she says, indicating the plants making up the walls of the Hanged Man. Luckily, two of them were already torn up from the storms, so that just left two on each side. “An’ start tearin’ up the ruined floor.”

She has tons of lumber already collected and lain aside for the project, callin’ in favors from everywhere an’ everyone.

-----------------

First things first, pick a group -

Floors:
Palm Trees + Raza:

The trees shouldn’t be too bad, they aren’t that old or thick. Tools at your disposal!
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
JACK
”Just our luck.” Jack sidles up beside her with folded arms, gazing down at the blueprints and up at the line of half ruined palms. ”Gardenin’ ain’t my strong suit. I’ll help out with the floor,” he decides, nodding to Zeph and the stranger and moving to grab up a crowbar. The captain is not the definition of brawn by any means, but with the right tools, destruction is sort of easy.

And he proves it, too, slipping the bar between the ruined boards and using the heel of his boot to lever it up to a point where he can pull it free. He stacks them to one side of the bar, assuming they’ll be having quite the bonfire later to celebrate. And if he snags a dough ball from Zeph on the way back, well, that’s between him and the dockhand.

Jack chooses the floor!
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
MILO
Mmm, could go fer som’a that fish.” Milo murmurs dreamily as Jack enters, clapping his shoulder and Milo offers Jack a nod after he stumbles a bit into the edge of a table before he’s flattening his palms along it and watching a few more people filter in. He offers an easy wave to Theo, then watches with hungry eyes as Zeph arrives with coffee and food – the red head slipping over immediately to snatch one to pop into his own mouth too and pour a cup of coffee, swallowing and yawning slightly as he goes to take a sip of the coffee to try and wake himself up.

Looking between everyone, watching as Jack picks the floorboards, Milo downs half the cup and sets it down before moving over to join Raza in removing the palm trees – grabbing a rope of sorts to try and tie around the tree to loosen it up from the ground. “Y’plannin’ on relocatin’ them? Or ‘re we jus’ gettin’ rid ‘a them?” He asks, glancing toward Raza before tugging on the rope wrapped around the palm tree, hoping he might have enough strength to pull it from the ground.

Milo to trees + Raza!
Theo Caldwell
Grifter

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

Theo

Oh, excellent, someone had brought breakfast. Theo grabbed a malasada, tearing into it with gusto -- his diet had been a little light lately. It was always harder to scam people when they'd already lost a lot, so the aftermath of bad weather was usually a bit of a lean time for Theo. Going to have to do some proper thieving soon if he didn't want to starve. He waved back to Milo, then went to join the redhead and the bar owner in lifting the palm trees -- it seemed like a less-involved job than taking tools to the flooring, and Theo was always happy to take the easy work.

Too bad his telekinesis was too weak to lift ... well, much of anything. It'd have to be good old elbow grease, then. Theo grabbed another malasada, wolfed it down, and grabbed a shovel to start digging at the base of another palm tree. Milo's method looked smarter, honestly, so Theo watched him closely to see what came of his efforts, but he wasn't just going to stand around in the meantime.

--------

Theo's working on the trees with Milo and Raza!

coding base by Skylark
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 10 - Int:
KI - Regular - Panther Chamelon
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
tried to fight the creeping sense of dread with temporal things
Well, at least Raza doesn't seem too pissed at you for being late. Pressing a hand to Milo's shoulder as jobs are divvied up, you exhale a heavy, long-suffering sigh and follow behind Jack, grabbing a crowbar as you go. "Someone's gotta keep an eye on th'ruffian," you explain to nobody in particular. "Fucker's like as not t'leave th'whole damn bar lookin' like a boat."

So saying you begin to tear up the planks, wedging the end of your crowbar under rotting wood and stepping on it for leverage - it's not work that your arm is likely to forgive. "How's it feel, princess, doin' th'first day'a honest work'a yer life?" you tease the captain as you work, waggling eyebrows at his scrawny physique and stifling a smirk.

Zeph supervises helps Jack with the planks.
ZEPHYR
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
Luck is remarkably (and will be, throughout this endeavor) on the gardener’s sides. “Let’s just get ‘em outta the way fer now. Haven’t decided if I want’a save ‘em or not.” The palm trees are pretty new - they’d been torn up’a few years ago by 307’s monsoons, an’ since their roots don’t go deep into the sand, they’re easy to pull out once I shimmy up the trunks an’ loop some rope around their tops. Between the three’a us, we manage to get ‘em all toppled. Don’t get me wrong, it’s hard work, but we’re Torchers, right? Ain’t nothing a soak in the sea an’ a night’a boozin’ can’t fix. “Make sure ye stay hydrated," I say to the boys on my team as I start t’take stock’a the building now.

Zeph ‘an Jack are good at destroyin’ things, an in no time, the rotted wood is out. “Go on an’ put a new floor in,” I call out from where I’ve paused for a breath an’ to guzzle some water. I take a scarf outta a bag somewhere an’ tie it ‘roun my hair afore headin’ to the lumber pile. “We need the longest ones to make the lower parts’a the walls, but I’m gonna leave the top halves able to open n’ close with some locks n’ hinges.”

So, yeah, guess we’re makin’ whole new walls like real carpenters n’ shit. Who knew we had such hidden talents?!

“One’a you make the window hatches - two fer each side. The other help me with the bottom parts ‘a the walls.”
-----------------

Again, everything you need should be there. Milo and Theo, choose who’s doing what and get to it.

Zephyr and Jack - carry on, lads. Finish that floor.
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO
Work goes quickly enough for the smuggler – content with the way the trees are able to be relocated. And he uses the rope he’s tied around the trees to pull them out to try and drag them to the edge of the Hanged Man so Raza can decide what to do with them later. And when that’s done? He’s certainly needing a drink – taking a moment of a break while she goes to inspect the rest of everything to chug a glass of water before the next task comes up.

He readjusts his shirt, sweat already beginning to show on the fabric he’s wearing, moving to stand by the lumber where Raza does. “Aye, I call hinges!” He rumbles, flashing a prideful grin Raza’s way, before moving to grab items needed to make the hinges, working diligently in an attempt to make two for each side as well as ensuring they’ll fit with the idea Raza has in mind.

Milo picks hatches!
Theo Caldwell
Grifter

Change author:

Theo

Milo called hatches before Theo could speak up, but that aligned perfectly with what he was about to say, anyway -- working on the walls seemed like the simpler job, not to mention one where he'd have help. Theo grinned at Raza. "Looks like that leaves the walls to the two of us."

Theo had no experience in carpentry whatsoever, so he'd just follow Raza's lead -- after grabbing some water and maybe another malasada. Pulling those palm trees out had been easier than it could have been, but still some hard work, the kind of work Theo was usually allergic to. But hey, this wasn't so bad. The promise of free booze kept him going -- though it wasn't really free if he'd done all this work to earn it, was it?

-------

Theo will help Raza with the walls!

coding base by Skylark
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
”An’ it’d look like the best fuckin’ boat on land you ever seen,” Jack grumbles, already hauling the rotten wood to one side of the bar. He gives Zeph an elbow for his trouble, though he merely looks haughty at being given the title of princess. ”It feels good, actually. Slummin’ it with you peasants ain’t as hard as you make it out. Dunno what you’re all complainin’ about the whole fuckin’ time.”

So they work, and they bicker, and they get the floor out. Then Raza calls in and tells them to put a new one in, and Jack straightens up with the crowbar resting on his shoulder as if to ask what the fuck she takes him for, a dockhand? Still, he goes to find new planks to lay down, grinning to Zeph. ”Wanna hold my wood while I hammer?” he asks.

Jack makes filthy jokes and goes ahead to start putting the new floor down.