(SE) the glare makes me hard to find
Ningo Farmer

Age: 30 | Height: 185cm | 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 14 - Int:
AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Whimzi Offline
Change author:
MP: 35
CHULANE
let's set the world on fire
"Ascended don't usually like fire," he commented, ticking the symptom off in his head as yet another thing to consider. He wasn't meaning to get into an in-depth conversation with Amun again, and yet… here he was.

"I don't want to stay here forever," he looked around, annoyed that he had allowed himself to get so turned around, so perfectly lost. He ran his hand through his hair, closing his eyes for a moment in thought. It was Amun's gasp (did ascended need to breathe? Why was he gasping?) that brought him out of his thoughts again, looking over to him.

But the man was just looking into a crystal on the wall of the cave again. Chulane sighed, and kept walking. Surely if he kept going, he'd reach either the end of the cave and have to walk back, or he'd reach an exit.
we can burn brighter than the sun
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
if I ever start to think straight
"Usually." Amun shrugged. "What can I say? I'm one of a kind."

Chuckling, he found himself frowning. Then he scanned himself, and while he couldn't exactly interpret the findings, he gave the stranger a wide-eyed look. "I usually don't like fire. But I can feel it calling to me. And blood." Once again, the potter's eyes fixed on the other man's small cut.

Thankfully, the little figure in the crystal was distracting enough that the Ascended didn't fixate on the wound. "What if you did? Would that really be that bad?" He found himself smiling at the possibility.

Zhanshi, though, left Amun's feet. Tunneling back to Chulane, the little landshark tried to fasten his teeth on the vet's pants. If successful, the potter's companion would begin to tug the other man in the opposite direction, across the cave.
this heart will start a riot in me
Amun
Ningo Farmer

Age: 30 | Height: 185cm | 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
CHULANE
Chulane's posture stiffened a bit as the ascended mentioned blood again, uncertain and unwilling to engage on that topic once more. But the other man moved on quickly from this topic - for once Chulane thanked the illness that afflicted him for blessing them with short attention spans. Or maybe that was just what Amun was actually like - Chuy wouldn't know.

Would it really be that bad? Perhaps it was foolish to give more than a few seconds consideration to the ramblings of a delirious man, but the vet couldn't help it. It struck too close to home, bringing up memories of what had happened, of who had fallen into the lava somewhere near these caves, of why he had come here originally.

"Yes, I think it would be that bad," he spoke so soft he wasn't even sure the other would hear him, as he kept walking away.

Then he almost tripped, as the shark was at it again, biting at his ankles - or, well, his pants. A small note of exclaim, and the vet stopped to look down at the shark, who was determinedly tugging him in a direction exactly opposing to the way he was intending on taking. Relenting after a moment of pause, the vet decided it couldn't hurt to follow the shark.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Reaching out, Amun curled his fingers around the crystal. Tugging at it, he frowned when it refused to budge. Sighing, he patted the surface. "I'll get you out somehow." He examined the cavern, looking for something to bust open the prison.

Ascended had good hearing, so at the stranger's whispered words the potter's neck swiveled and he stared at the other man. Other than that, Amun was entirely still, in the way only his kind could manage. "Then you should go." He nodded.

When Chulane actually followed Zhanshi, he released the vet's pants leg. Then the landshark began tunneling through the ground again. Only his fin was visible. Heading towards the opposite wall of the cave, he ducked around an outcropping. There was an opening behind it, leading to a tunnel.

The potter watched all this, eyes wide. "Hey, wait, you're leaving me here?!" He pouted. "I don't want to be alone."
Amun
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
CHULANE
Focussing on the shark actually seemed to ground the vet. Watching animals was something he'd always enjoyed and observing the many magical creatures of Caido gave him no end of fascination. He could almost forget where he was, and why he had come here, and that he was here with yet another sick individual. He barely heard the other man's words to the crystal, or in response to Chulane's whispered words, keen to focus in and trust this companion for an inexplicable reason.

Only when he reached the other side, and saw properly where the shark had led him, did Chulane hear Amun's pouting words. He sighed. "Come along then." He nodded towards the tunnel. "Let's get out of here. Maybe we can come back another time." He wasn't sure whether he meant it or not, but he said it anyway - he wasn't one to leave someone behind, even someone he wasn't particularly fond of in the moment.

--
Happy if you want to Fin it :)
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Once Zhanshi led Chulane to the tunnel entrance, the landshark returned to Amun. The potter's companion tugged on Amun's pant leg now. Reaching out he patted the crystal one last time. "Don't worry. I'll come back and free you. Perhaps then I'll know why I'm feeling so strange these days." He sighed and turned to go.

Stopping at the stranger's words, the potter found himself grinning. "Wait, really? You, you want to spend more time with me." Chuckling, he rubbed his hands together. "Yessss. Let's come back. And we can find the fire together, and maybe I'll finally feel warm." He shivered, but started following the other man through the tunnel.
Amun
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
CHULANE
Did Chulane regret saying what he had said, giving the ascended the idea that he wanted to spend time with him again?

Maybe a little bit.

But he also didn't want to leave the sick man behind, couldn't bear to even if he found himself quite uncomfortable in his presence.

He sighed, resigned to his fate as sick-ascended babysitter for another day. "What's your shark's name?" he asked, by way of keeping the conversation going, making note of the man's complaints of what sounded like a fever, logging that concern away in his mind as yet another thing to worry about when he was back out in the broader world.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Grinning, Amun pointed at the landshark's fin, which was just visible as the potter's companions tunneled through ground in front of them. "Zhanshi! It means warrior." He turned to the stranger. "Do you have a landshark? I thought I was the only one."

Before they left the cavern, the Ascended looked back at it. "Do we have to go? I feel like I should stay." He frowned. "I don't think we should leave the crystals in there. I...gods, I don't know what they are. Shouldn't we figure it out?"

Rubbing his temples, he glanced at the other man. "Who are you? Why did you lure me here?" Amun's eyes narrowed.
Amun
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
CHULANE
"That's a good name," the vet almost smiled as he looked to the little shark tunneling through the ground, glad to know its name - almost gladder to learn it than he was to learn Amun's. He wondered what effect this illness was having on the companions, on the bond between man and creature - did they become erratic and confused as well? Or was it much of a muchness, their minds separate enough that the companions were able to differentiate from the bondmate's delusions and survive well enough?

The Chief sighed, running a hand through his hair. "If you can get a crystal loose, then bring one with you. A small one." He instructed, unwilling to completely admit that the man had a good point - the reason Chulane hadn't thought of it was because he was here for very different reasons than looking at crystals. He was utterly lost, looking for something, but also unwilling to completely admit what that was too.

"My name's Chulane," he offered, realising he hadn't introduced himself before. "You found me - I didn't lure. Or, well, I didn't mean to."
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Amun nodded at the stranger. Practically beaming, the potter pointed at Zhanshi. "It's good! He's a very good shark. Bites everything." He chuckled, clapping his hands together a little.

Eyes widening, he breathed out. "Really?!" Turning to the nearest wall, he tried to pry out a crystal. It stubbornly refused to budge, and he growled a bit. Shifting to hammering it with his fists, he started cursing at it. "Come on, I'm trying to help you here!"

Letting his hands drop, he sighed. Looking at the other man, the Ascended sighed. "It wants to stay here. With its friends."

He leaned against the wall, exhaustion stealing upon his limps. "Hi Chulane. Your voice changed. It's not the one that called me here anymore." Sighing, he rubbed his forehead.
Amun
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
CHULANE
A huff of laughter, and Chuy agreed with the man - the shark certainly did bite everything. He watched it curiously, ever intrigued by the wildlife of this world, ever easily distracted by it.

Then he watched as the ascended pounded and clawed at the wall, trying to pry a crystal away. It wasn't to be though - Chulane suspected pickaxes and a more determined effort from more than just the ascended would be needed.

"That's alright, it can stay." He frowned as the ascended leaned against the wall, apparently exhausted. "Hey now, c'mon. Let's get out of here," he encouraged, or at least tried to, motioning with his hand to beckon the ascended along.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Zhanshi bit at the air. However, he made no move to head towards either of the two men. Instead, the landshark just circled in the tunnel outside the chamber, waiting for Amun and Chulane to come.

Staring at the crystals, the potter frowned. "But if it stays, how will I figure out what called me here?" Turning to stare at the other man, Amun pouted.

However, he took a few halting steps towards Chulane. As the potter did, he glanced over his shoulder. "Don't worry. I'll come back for you when I figure out how to get you out." With that, he faced front to follow the other man.
Amun
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
CHULANE
And they were moving again. Chulane did his best to be patient, to keep his cool (which was hard because it was unbearably hot everywhere in the Climb). He almost felt guilty, for the terse way he had treated the ascended… but he didn't want to think about what might've happened had he not drawn clear boundaries with the man and his shark.

So they walked, entering the tunnel, following the little landshark. And again, he found himself distracted by the veins of lava he could see in the walls, by the tricks his mind's eye was playing on him - the heat, the visions (-we he feverish too? Was he just another sick individual, taken by the illness?).

He was grossly unprepared for this, for the Climb, for anything. And before now, he had resolved to just get stronger, to work towards improving himself, to prove that he could endure this world. But…

But maybe he couldn't. She couldn't, and he never thought of himself as stronger, or more capable than her.

"Have you ever lost anyone?" Abruptly, his tones spoke up, as he tried desperately to get his mind off the dark track it had jumped on.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Staggering a bit through the tunnel, Amun did his best to follow Chulane and Zhanshi. However, the potter found himself stopping frequently. He'd state at the glow of the lava and reach his hand out for it. Every time he did, however, the landshark would circle back to tug Amun forward. At which point the potter would start walking forward again, although he'd glance over his shoulder at the light.

When the other man asked his question Amun's head snapped forward. Nodding, he jogged ahead until he was side by side with Chulane. "Yes. Lots of people. Too many to count." Raising an eyebrow, the potter stared at the other man's neck. "Do you know what loss is?"
Amun