i sank into the sea, wrapped in piano strings
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
right by the entrance you broke, finally reality's taking its hold
A hum of a laugh leaves Sunjata yet again, a nod as he concedes the point, finding it not worth getting into the gritty gritty of everything. But then, the tables turn, and the question is flopped over toward Sunjata, demanded in fact, that his eyes widen a fraction as he stares at Nikolai, waiting patiently to figure out where to even start.

We were married before he was a demigod and I was the father of a child of Safrin.” He begins, leaning on an elbow on the bar as he scans Nikolai. “Of course I’ve met Safrin.I’ve slept with her, nearly falls from his tongue, but he bites it back. “I did meet the Voice though.” He pauses, considering where to start. “I wasn’t as close to Safrin when Nate and I married and Nate wasn’t as close to the Voice then either.
you're not who you were, but you can't let it go
you're not where you're from, but you're always alone
SUNJATA
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Nikolai
We are only haunted by the things we refuse to accept
-Bridgett Devoue
Nikolai relaxes as Sunjata takes the floor. It's a bit of a surprise that the Flood is so willing to indulge his questions, but it is appreciated. It's intriguing to hear how Sunjata and Nate ended up in their current situation. Married and clearly dedicated to each other, and yet arguably on opposite sides of a looming war. Yet they seemed to be finding a way around that given that Sunjata was here in teh Grounds.

Humming, Nikolai conceded enough to be vaguely tactful. "What do you think of them? Of the Voice and Safrin? Would you tell me, please?" The last word feels nearly foreign on his tongue but he's trying, ok? Nikolai adored the Voice, revered her and what she'd done for him and his mom. He was curious to hear Sunjata's thoughts on the Goddess, as well as his thoughts on Safrin.
Resilience is born even when we feel like we are dying
-Alex Elle
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
The question of what he thinks about them rings eerily reminiscent of Nate’s own question not long ago, and he works his jaw as he considers how to answer it. It takes some time and he pours himself another glass, downing half before he even starts to pick apart his answer.

The Voice during the time I met her, felt… Cold to me? It’s likely because I’m so close to Safrin but it still felt cold, standoffish.” He pauses here before continuing. “But she cares about the Ascended and Nate so much that I have to like her, obviously, and I even relate to her in some aspects.” He doesn’t mention how he’s had to apologize to Safrin for having those very thoughts when he’d seen her in the most recent past.

Safrin, though I imagine much like you and the Voice, is everything to me. She’s the mother of my child, she’s protected me, saved me, been there when I needed her the most. She attuned me and changed my life.” He sets the glass down and regards Nikolai carefully. “I owe so much to her.
SUNJATA
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Nikolai
-Bridgett Devoue
So the Flood had met both Goddesses. It wasn't too surprising, but it was still strange to hear that Sunjata had a relatively positive view of both. It was intriguing to hear the Goddess that Nikolai found so soothing described as cold and standoffish. Nikolai found himself raising a brow at that part, but didn't comment. It was almost certain that his Lady would act differently with an Attuned then one of her own.

The description of Safrin truly did align with all that the Voice meant to Nikolai. She was everything. His solace and guide, his hope. She gave him and his mother a new life indeed. A far greater one. For Safrin to mean all of that to Sunjata, and for the Flood to still be in the Grounds spoke volumes of his love for Nate. Nikolai actually felt a bit of awe creep up. Perhaps one day he'd have someone like that too? Would he want that?

"I see. Thank you for telling me." He finally states as Sunjata finishes speaking. The young Ascended eyes the man before him with open curiosity. "Do you know what you'll do in the coming days?" Worded so that the Attuned could take it at face value, or address the implied. What will you do when the war starts? Who will you side with?
-Alex Elle
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
Theres a glimmer of surprise that crosses Sunjata’s face as Nikolai thanks him for telling him. Perhaps he’s more used to an argument when it comes to his views of Safrin and his views of the Voice, but he takes the gratitude where he can and he finishes the last glass before pouring himself some water, taking a heavy sip of the glass of water before he addresses the next question.

It’s a lot, and there’s a heavy sigh that accompanies the start. “We both have to fight, there’s no way around that.” He works his jaw, finding his gaze slipping from Nikolai to focus on the lightning scars in the top of the bar table. “But I told Safrin I wouldn’t hurt him. I… Have a bargain with Safrin in regards to Nate in the war.” His gaze lifts then to scan Nikolai’s face. It isn’t his proudest moment, but a bargain was a bargain and he intends to stick with it.
SUNJATA
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
-Bridgett Devoue
Nikolai nods, accepting the circumstances as much as he can. A part of him pities Nate and Sunjata. They've been rather unlucky in this whole mess. Unluckier then most it seemed. The young Ascended couldn't even begin to imagine how conflicted the pair was, how stressed they must be.

The mention of a bargain has Nikolai's head shooting up, wide eyes meeting Sunjata's. "You made a bargain?" The words are hushed, a hint of both awe and disbelief. "That's...wow." The young Ascended blinks for a second, "You have way bigger balls then I thought. I mean.. damn. Ok."

To have the guts do bargain with a Goddess was no joke. To do so for the sake of protecting someone the Goddess likely hated for existing? Nikolai was genuinely impressed, and too shocked to be embarrassed about his own words. Once he recovered from his shock, Nikola regarded the Attuned with new eyes. "Nate's lucky to have you." He almost wanted to ask if the Demi-god knew about this bargain, but managed to refrain. He'd asked enough personal questions.
-Alex Elle
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
I did.” Sunjata confirms, but the smile is gone as he recalls what all it had cost him — with all the what if’s and hope it might shatter or give. As for having bigger balls, that comment does well to spark Sunjata’s mind, a snort coming to the surface of his emotions as he shakes his head. “I guess so.” Not many others thought of it the same when it came down to the nitty gritty of it, but here they were.

The mention of Nate being lucky to have him instinctively has Sunjata shaking his head, denying any sort of thing. “No, no.” A hum of a laugh leaves him and he finds a small smile creeping up onto his face. “I’m incredibly lucky to have him.” He corrects easily, lifting his gaze to meet Nikolai’s.
SUNJATA
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
-Bridgett Devoue
Nikolai can guess that the bargain was a difficult one. The price was likely steep to keep a Demi-god of Safrin's enemy alive. Time would tell if the cost was worth it. But given how much Sunjata clearly loved Nate, it very likely would be. Hopefully.

The refute on Sunjata's part makes Nikolai smirk. "Of course." The young Ascended fully disagrees given his current opinion of Nate. But arguing over it would clearly be a waste. Sunjata is clearly head over heels and delusional.

Relaxing, Nikolai bites his lip in contemplation. After a moment of hesitation, he gives into his mounting curiosity. Eyeing the Attuned seriously,  "What did you have to promise? What is Safrin taking in return?"  Because a life preserved meant something else was lost, right?
-Alex Elle
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
He knows Nikolai doesn’t believe it, but it doesn’t matter what the young Ascended believes in the grand scheme of things. Sunjata knows it to be true and he hopes that Nate does too – and that’s truthfully all he can ask for.

But his gaze flickers up to Nikolai’s face as he probes about the bargain again, a moment of pause as Sunjata considers where to begin, whether it would destroy whatever chance at the small compliment Nikolai had given previously. Because it had taken something.

I, uh…” He pauses, spinning the glass of water between his hands, drawing his knees up on the barstool to rest his elbows on. “Bargained a life for a life. If the Voice was destroyed in the up coming war then she would find a way to save Nate. In return, I had my daughter with Safrin and I have to raise her and protect her.” His gaze lifts to scan Nikolai’s face carefully, searching for anything.
SUNJATA
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
-Bridgett Devoue
Nikolai can't stop himself from snarling, for baring his fangs. "What?" There was so much wrong with what Sunjata had just told him. The Ascended knew that the destruction of the Voice and thus the Ascended was a goal of the Old Gods. Hearing it put so plainly however has something dark, burning and clawing in his chest. Something vengeful.

But for a child's life to be the cost for an exception? Had Sunjata even wanted to have a kid? Nikolai snarls, "Let me get this straight. In order for you to save your husband's life should you win the war, you were forced to father a Demi-god. Am I interpreting that correctly?"

This, this was why. Why Nikolai loathed the Old Gods. Playing with people's lives while trying to keep an illusion of mercy. For pretending to care when they did all that they could to reach their own ambitions.
-Alex Elle
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
Ah, there it is. The snarl that Sunjata doesn’t balk from, a snarl that’s fanged and sharp and toothy in all the ways Nate’s own were when the realization of the matter had been made. And Sunjata’s tired of having to explain himself time and time again, so he sits idly by, waiting and sipping from his water until Nikolai is finished.

The Flood is admittedly, quite a bit drunk at this point, so it’s with shadowed steel that he meets Nikolai’s gaze. “A life for a life.” He shrugs, spinning the water glass. “And I wasn’t forced to do anything. It was an option and a route, and I took it.” He should’ve talked to Nate and Hotaru about it first, should’ve done a lot of things first. But he hadn’t, and instead had returned home with the news of being the father to a child of Safrin’s.

It was different from Ronin’s interaction with Safrin, because at least Sunjata was completely aware of what he was doing when he did it, the implications it might (and did) have.
SUNJATA
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
-Bridgett Devoue
Nikolai meets Sunjata's eyes before eventually sighing and dropping his gaze to the table. Shaking his head a little, the young Ascended tries to process the information. He can't understand it completely, the entire situation leaving a bad taste in his mouth. But one thing was clear. This had been a choice, one that it seemed the Flood had made under sound mind.

Leaning back into his chair, Nikolai nodded. "Got it. I mean...I don't get it, but I understand enough?" He might not understand Sunjata's feelings or the entire circumstances of his decision. But he understood will and freedom of choice. And as an Ascended, one who had become such in order to make his own choices in life? Nikolai could respect it.
-Alex Elle
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
Nikolai leans back and concedes the point again and Sunjata exhales a breath he hadn’t realized he’d been holding onto. There’s a few moments of silence as he works his jaw and nods. Nate and he had just gotten past that blunder, Nate had just come home, they were moving on past it, and Sunjata didn’t need to dredge up those old memories alongside the hole he feels within himself – made worse with Nate being gone.

So he downs the rest of his water and waits a few seconds longer as the alcohol simmers within him. “That’s good enough for me.” Sunjata murmurs, working his jaw, gaze finding the lightning scar in the bar top again that he runs his fingers over before a soft snort leaves him at the memory of what had caused such a gash in the wood. “Should probably get myself ready for bed.” To try and sleep while he’s drunk so the nightmares don’t wake him, not until Nate’s back home at least. Either way, he makes no move to stand just yet, not with the way everything seems a bit shaky.
SUNJATA
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
-Bridgett Devoue
Nikolai eyes the man in front of him with sympathy. Sunjata looks exhausted and stressed and the Ascended reaches out to collect the glass and alcohol.  "You look like shit, go to bed. I'll clean up here." Nikolai sets about tidying up, eyeing the Attuned with barely concealed concern as he does.

After a moment, he pauses. "Thank you by the way. For the advice, explaining things, all of it." The honesty was appreciated. The understanding  even more so. But there was still one thing that Nikolai would struggle with. Letting out a long, suffering sigh he adds, "And I'll try, ok? I'll try to be nice to Nate." He wouldn't promise anything, but he could try. For Sunjata.
-Alex Elle