Disciples and Deadly Things
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
A small blush colored her cheeks. "You are very free flowing with compliments, you know that?" she said with a small smile. "It isn't about being great. It's just about trying to be better. Not letting indecision stop you from continuing forward. I'm not great at it all the time. It's something you work at." she said.

But he seemed willing then to simply sit and contemplate, and she was happy enough to fall silent too. She finished her sandwich then sipped some of her lemonade, enjoying the pretty setting of the glade. At length he spoke again and she glanced over at him, laughing a bit at his question. "Oh no. Anything the deities have told me is pretty fair game I think." she said. "And to be fair I have only met Safrin, Ludo and Frey. Vi, Mort, and Rae were outside the barrier and couldn't hear any of us...and they are the sort of head gods so I doubt they've much time for little people like me. That's why they have the other three as heralds." she explained. "So...if you pray to Rae, for example, more than likely Frey would be the one to answer. Though they don't answer all the time." she said and shrugged a little.

"Ludo I met briefly during Long Night. They are connected to Mort, the god of death, and guide dead souls into the afterlife. They uhm...well they think I am sort of stupid and I frankly don't blame them based on how I acted when I met them. But if you pray to them, be on your guard. They like to play tricks from what I hear."

"Then Safrin...I have only met her once too. But she was very kind and very helpful. She is connected to Vi, the god of life. She would be good if you have questions, as she seemed very willing to answer mine. Safrin is actually the reason I survived Long Night. She blessed me with a whisper fish that followed me around, keeping the monsters at bay."

"Then there is Frey, who I have met the most. They are connected to Rae, who is the god of basically everything in between life and death. Perhaps nature would be the best word for it? Frey themselves is ah..." Here was the make it or break it part, the part where she might see Killian's true colors based on his reaction to this. "Frey is the deity of sexuality, sensuality, and pleasure...I would even venture to say fertility in a way though not necessarily directly, and if they are it seems to be their secondary concern. Frey takes the form of whatever you find most appealing when you meet them, but they can be very quickly bored if you stray very far from the things they are interested in. But...they have helped me grow as a person a great deal, and helped to focus on working on my confidence." she said with a small smile. "Oh, and they like presents. I bring them fruit as an offering but uh...if you wanted I am sure they would be pleased as punch with an offering of a more sexual nature if you feel so compelled." she said, her cheeks turning dark red.
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound
Don't care about all the pain in front of me
'Cause I'm just trying to be happy
Killian Soleil
Scout

Age: 27 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship:
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Zoa Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
KILLIAN
"Well I really mean it, you're great to me," he replied sincerely. He'd yet to see those other times when she wasn't great, and he couldn't quite imagine it either. Though maybe he was a little free with compliments, a lot of the time it was just him being flirty or charming, but this time it'd been completely true.

Phoebe jumped right on into Deities for Dummies volume one, and Killian was eager to listen. Whether or not the gods were a little more involved in mortal lives here than they were in his world, he still found it rather impressive that she'd met three of them. Frey, Ludo and Safrin. She went on to explain those three in further depth, which was helpful since he'd mostly heard a lot about the main three, Vi, Mort and Rae.

He nodded along as she explained Ludo, scoffing playfully as though it were ridiculous when she said Ludo thought she was stupid. Ludo sounded a bit of a chaotic neutral, "I'll try and stay away from them then,

Safrin sounded like a good one, he mouthed her name, just to taste it on his lips and commit it to memory. "Is she the goddess of anything specific?" he asked, seeing as the others all seemed to have some sort of special dominion. Maybe hers was just kindness.

The last deity that Phoebe described, she had a much more personal connection with. Frey, a deity connected to Rae the god of nature... Phoebe trailed off as if she was about to touch on something uncomfortable. When she said it, a smile crept it's way onto Killian's face, and he couldn't help but snicker. "You guys have a sex god!?" he asked/exclaimed, somehow finding it pretty funny. Oh immaturity.

Phoebe went on in explaining Frey, they sounded pretty great too. Her blushing statement caused Killian to chuckle a little, Phoebe was so modest. "I'll keep that in mind, for sure," he said, running a hand through his hair with a shake of his head. His own cheeks had turned a little rosy thinking about it.

baby baby don’t be so shy
rock children hold your heads up high
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
She smiled at Killian warmly as he insisted on his compliment once again. "Well, thank you, Killian." she said, finally taking the compliment. It was nice to be thought highly of, even if she wasn't sure she deserved it.

Phoebe nodded in agreement when Killian spoke of avoiding Ludo. "Yes, I think unless you've something specific in regards to the dead they might be best left alone." she agreed. But as far as Safrin she shrugged a little. "I asked and she said it was more complicated than that. I presume she is more closely aligned with Vi as far as...powers and oversight. Though she appears starlit, and has turned people into stara so I assume she has more of an alignement with the night or the greater universe." she said, not really having enough of an understanding of non-terrestrial planes.

His excitement over a "sex-god" seemed particularly boyish and she couldn't help but laugh a bit. "Yes, we do. Though I think Frey would consider themself to be a bit more complex than a 'sex-god'." she said. Sex was the mechanism, desire, pleasure, and even love were more the goal. Her cheeks were still red though as she explained at it all. "But Frey can be...overwhelming if you don't know what to expect. Their presence changes how you feel. They actually scared me the first time I met them, so if you do pray to them, know that." She wouldn't want someone else being scared of Frey like she and some others had been.
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
Specific things regarding the dead? Killian wondered what exactly that could mean. Was it possible in this world for people to commune with the dead? Or more? He ought to just go ahead and assume, but this somehow felt like a stretch so he felt better to ask. "What do you mean specific in regards to the dead, what kind of regards would that involve?" he asked.

The further explanation of Safrin was taken with a slightly impressed look. A night time and universe goddess? She sounded pretty powerful, and similar in discipline to the celestial gods of his world.

His take away statement from her description of Frey had drawn a laugh from the midwife, and Killian laughed along with her. Jokes about it began to formulate in his head, but considering that Phoebe was already blushing greatly, and not wanting to offend a god a couple weeks into being under their skies, he held them in and just listened, a smile still dancing on his lips.

Phoebe's warning inspired another question, "How often do your gods answer prayers? And do they ever like... curse people?"

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Well that was an odd question she thought. What sorts of things did he think could regard the dead? "Well...like if someone you know dies and you want to pray for their safe passage from this life to the next." she said and shrugged a little. She had more meant something that would be in ther perview of the gods that oversaw death, more than trying to convene with spirits themselves. That would be terribly creepy.

"I think it depends." she said considering, tilting her head to the side thoughtfully. "Only once have I prayed and not had a deity appear. It was right after the barrier fell so I am certain that Frey was just busy reuniting with Rae." she said with a small smile. They had been charged with keeping the barrier up but it must've been a happy reunion. To go so long without seeing one's counterpart had to be hard. "But if they don't it is nothing to take personally. They do not owe us responses after all. If they appear it is a blessing."
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
So not as far as he'd wondered, not to bring people back or convene with them. He nodded, a bit relieved. It would definitely be unsettling, to have people praying to death gods all the time and speaking with ghosts. Some things were better left as they were.

Only once had she been stood up at a shrine? That surprised him a little, definitely something to get used to. The gods here were much more involved than the gods back home, he didn't know whether or not to miss his way of it all (which had always seemed like a lot), or be grateful for this one. Time would tell, and perhaps and introduction or two with the gods of this world.

"I'll go visit a shrine sometime, and see what happens," he resolved out loud, then looked to Phoebe with a friendly smile, "And thanks by the way, for all the history lessons. I'm sure you didn't want to spend your picnic talking about the gods and fixing my problems."

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"Oh don't worry about it. I am happy to share what I have learned." she said with a soft smile, holding her jar of lemonade in both hands on her lap. "When I came here the first time, we didn't know there were deities - I didn't even think the divine were real. Encountering one by chance was terrifying." she said thoughtfully, considering some pretty flowers that were at a distance. A few of them seemed be of the oversized variety that would snip at fingers. So pretty, but terribly dangerous. It seemed a good way to describe most things in Caido. "Of course, that probably wouldn't have been your experience because you are used to the existence of gods...but enough people I know have had trouble with them...and I seem to leave my encounters unscathed every time...Maybe if I tell others about them it will help." she said with a small smile. She hoped it would anyways.

Phoebe lifted the jar to her lips to take a few sips of the sweet beverage. Killian was so childish in many ways, but he was a nice presence to be around. Happy, excitable - a bit like a puppy. There weren't many like him in Caido - everyone so serious and focused on the practicality of surviving - and she wondered how long he would manage to keep that lightness.
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
Phoebe replied humbly, with that soft and easy going smile of hers. Her world didn't have deities, something she might've mentioned before, but upon thinking more into it he decided he wanted to know more about where Phoebe was from. She was a Northavener, that much he knew, and he'd heard plenty about them. Some weren't fond of them, some indifferent. Killian had missed all the conflict so he had no stance on the matter, and even if he had been around for it, he wasn't one to easily follow or condemn.

"What was your world like? If you don't mind talking about it," he asked, then followed her gaze to the flowers nearby. They were pretty, delicate, splashes of color against the lush green of the glade. Killian had no idea of the danger that some of them posed, and he cared not. He was happy to admire, blissfully unaware.

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"Mine?" Phoebe said in surprise, glancing over at him. Why did he want to know about her world? Compared to Caido, with its deities and amazing creatures, and beings like the Fae, what sort of interest could Northwind and Northaven had been to anyone? Most here didn't like people like her anyways, her heritage having become the scorn of both Natural and Outlander alike in recent weeks. But if he really wanted to know, she supposed there was no reason to avoid discussing it. Her eyes turned back to the flowers, trying to decide where to start.

"I'm from a kingdom called Northwind. It was giant and powerful...but we were always at war with those around us." she said, a small frown curving her lips. "I don't even remember a time when we weren't at war, honestly. I don't think my parents did either. It's just how things were. But...they were escalating. A place can only fight for so long before it begins to wear everyone down. So the kingdom resorted to magic, opening a portal to a potential new home they called Northaven. Only the most integral people were sent first. Then younger settlers and people with skill like me to aid in the growth of the place. There was a pretty big emphasis on procreation so a skilled midwife was much needed as you might imagine." she said with a small smile. The strong push to have children ruffled the feathers of some, but it had never bothered her. But she wanted babies. It wasn't the same for everyone else.

"We had a pretty rigid class system too. I was just a common girl, and even with finishing school training, unless I married a nobleman I would never be anything but. It meant some people in the upper echelons wouldn't even work with me unless it was a dire situation or they had no other choice. Someone like you, for example, would never have dared be seen with me or spoken with me in more than a transactional capacity." she said with a small smile.
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
Northwind, a world always at war. Killian had only lived through one war, when he was very young, and he had been safely locked away in the capital throughout it all. He had seen the repercussions, but they were lightly taken, as was everything in the eyes of a child. It wasn't until the recent war, the one that he had escaped, that he truly felt the pains of it. Everything was strained, everyone was darker, even the days weren't as bright in wake of the carnage that played out on the battlefields. Kiki had only been around for the beginning months of that war and already he could see the horrors of it. He couldn't imagine living in a world where war was routine, it would've driven the sunbeam boy mad.

Kiki's eyebrows raised at the talk of portals to another land, a land away from the warfare. And in this world everyone was expected to procreate, hence the need for her midwife skills. It was an odd notion to him, the idea of being sent to a world with the intent being to populate. But it seemed that her Northwind was pretty desperate at the time, and he couldn't really know the whole situation anyway.

Phoebe went on to explain the class system, in all its resplendent rigidity. This, he was familiar with finding it a much similar situation to that of Regne du Jour. The poor stayed poor, and the rich and powerful stayed rich and powerful. Unless of course you were Killian, and then the rules didn't apply. He was born common, but thrust into a higher position due to his godly endowment. While most never had anything against him personally - being the heir of Soleil - his mother had been given grief by the nobles and the reign, who had permitted her to stay with him in the capital rather reluctantly. That she wasn't of noble blood, that she couldn't understand the noble life, that it wasn't courtly to have a commoner walking the great halls with the patrons of the sun, blah blah bull shit that Killian had spited with many of the other ridiculous things he'd been taught.

He'd never listened to their rules, of what was right for him and what was wrong. His mother's advice had always been more steady and sound, and despite the many efforts from the reign to acquaint him with other nobles and integrate him into that society, all of Kiki's friends had been of the same "low blood" that they said his mother shared. "It was like that on my world too, I wasn't supposed to meet with the "commoners"," he said with air quotes, "they'd say it wasn't regal of me or something else just as pretentious. I hated that system, it's one of the thing I appreciate about this world actually. It doesn't really have a class system does it," he said, his hand slipping over the edge of the blanket and pulling absently at the grass.

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe wasn’t particularly surprised that Killian’s world had a class system, one where the mingling of the elite and the common was frowned upon. People would always try to make order in chaos, to benefit from the subjugation of others – it was human nature. It was survival at its core, twisted and complicated with a web morals and systems and ideals until it was inextricable. But that Killian thought that this world lacked such structures surprised her. Shouldn’t someone with his background be able to see the power plays in motion all around them?

She shook her head slowly, looking over at him with a raised brow. ”There is no such thing as a world without a class system. That would be chaos.” she said. ”Even in Caido there is a class system, it is just unspoken. The powerful rule over the weak, the perceived wise rule over the foolish. People like Ronin and Jigano and Rory are the ruling class, their favored people just below them, and so on. And above them are the deities who also seem to have their own pecking order.” she noted with a small smile before looking down at her glass. ”It would be nice, but do not let your ideals blind you to reality. You are just as much within a societal structure as you were in your home world. You’ve just yet to find your place in it.”
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
Killian frowned as Phoebe responded, just a little bit off put by it. He hadn't noticed anything so rigid as the system back in his world, at least in terms of people being more important or better than others. Nobody had seemed to look down upon another, except for with the whole outlander vs natural mess but did that really count as a prejudice of class? Of course there was an order of power, as to who was leading whom, but he hadn't gotten the idea that any of that power came from anything other than mutual agreement. From what he'd seen, everyone was just trying to make it here, and nobody's life was more valued over another's.

At least that's what he'd gained from a couple weeks of living here. There was undoubtedly a lot he was yet to see, but he much preferred to believe he was right, than to succumb to the somewhat pessimistic outlook that his friend seemed to have on it. Naïve, absolutely, but Kiki didn't really claim to be anything more than. "Hmm," he replied thoughtfully, eyes wandering to a strand of grass that he'd torn from the earth. He turned it over a few times, then split it down the middle, wrapped in thought.

"I guess so, I see how it could be like that. But I think that somewhere like this... it's still different you know. It feels different at least." he said, then paused with a soft chuckle, "And if finding my place in this world means I have to be part of a system, then I guess I'll just wander around and keep avoiding finding it, huh," he joked.

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
”I don’t think you can.” she said with a light laugh. ”We are all just one piece of an expansive puzzle. The reason there is a system is because we exist, and we exist because of the system.” she said, a bit cryptically, but in her mind it made sense. The two were not separate, inextricable, co-dependent. ”And I am certain wandering forever wouldn’t be terribly satisfying. Were you not lamenting just moments ago not having a purpose here?” she said with a grin and a small shrug.

Phoebe, you see, didn’t think the system terrible. It had its pros and cons but it wasn’t inherently bad. If anything was, it was the way people manipulated the system. The way they lied and tricked and twisted it to get what they wanted. But the system meant structure and balance. It meant things were at rights, and that things were harmonious. ”I suppose I more mean, don’t rebel for rebelliousness sake. If you see something you think is wrong with it all, rebel against that. But you’ve not seen enough yet to know if it is different, or if it is the same, or if it is appalling or wonderful.” she added with a small smile.
I gotta find my place
I wanna hear my sound
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
Killian humphed at Phoebe's response of I don't think you can, with a playful side glance. He was an expert, at avoiding the crueler parts of life, he'd spent a lot of his life doing just that. If he wanted to, he was sure he could find a way. But her next statement was correct as well, and was what he'd been thinking about. He'd mostly been joking about running from the system, because he indeed was trying to find his way into it. This time, in this world where it seemed a little less crooked, he was going to give it a shot.

"I mean, my legs might get tired but hey," he teased when she asked if wandering forever would satisfy, then shook his head with a smile, "No I get you, I'm just messing around. And you're right, I do want to find my purpose in this world, regardless of the system. But like you said, I won't stand for something wrong."