Training addicted to pain
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
ronin
A man unwilling to fight for what he wants deserves what he gets
Ronin didn't even want to think about when Aoife started walking, and a flash of panic made it through his eyes before he thoroughly banished it. Not today, thanks. Straightening up from his stretches to regard her properly, he arched an eyebrow at the sudden guilt he thought he saw on her face. Before he could ask about it, however, she came out with it herself. His gaze softened, Ronin smiling and nudging her gently. "Hey. You didn't know it was going to happen," he said. "And I did get back, in the end. Just... not the way you meant. I took the long way round."

Squeezing her shoulder gently, he set off into a slower paced jog as they headed back around towards the Settlement, the rain still softly falling around them. This seemed like a good way to warm down, and they could still speak. "Pfffff. If that is the bar you've set, I can't help but feel I've got my work cut out for me," he scoffed, shaking his head. "I'll speak to Maea, see what she has to say about all of this. And I'll consider it... Thanks, Roana."
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 24 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
Staring straight back at me?
Roana saw the flash of panic in his eyes and she couldn't help but laugh. Oh yeah. She remembered those days. The terror of the unknown, what would happen, how you would cope - in time it faded but this was all still very new to him. "Don't worry. I've three boys who are quite good at taking orders. You just say the word and you'll have a mini-team of toddler herders that can be paid in cookies and fake sword fights." she joked with a grin. Only half joked though. Cormac, Rhett, and Jax would actually be good mini-bodyguards for little Aoife once she was a little less delicate, and once she got to that age, she was certain Ronin and Remi would be grateful for any distraction that could be provided for her.

He tried to lift her spirits about her guilt and she sighed. It was true, but hearing it from him was helpful. "I know. Safrin was even surprised by that little turn of events." she said quietly, remembering how the goddess herself hadn't even considered such a weapon to be hidden within the monster. If a goddess had been taken aback by it...and if Ronin wasn't angry...could she really remain guilty over it? Roana smiled a little and nodded, happy to set it aside. "Thank you, Ronin."

They started off again and she laughed at his assessment of how well she had or had not done, feeling a bit odd jogging at this slow pace but knowing better than to push it. They wanted to build Ronin back up not break him to bits. "Yeah well. Let's just say I am short for friends these days. And as upset as people were over your death, I think that came from a warm place in their hearts." she said with a small smile. Roana knew when she was going to be helpful and when it was better to step back. As much as she supported this idea of a government, as much as she wanted to helm pushing things forward, her being so integral to its form would probably cause more problems than anything. "I'm glad you'll consider it. And in the meantime...I've some thoughts to a plan to move things forward. But it depends...how willing do you think Safrin would be to support this war against the Voice?" she asked. It was clear she was formidable, so much so the gods had simple trapped her before. If they didn't have help or support from the Old Gods they were up a creek without a paddle. Probably without a raft too. "We might not be able to kill her but...how familiar were you with the agreement between the Launceleyn's and the Hawthornes?"
Why is my reflection someone
I don't know?
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
ronin
"I may hold you to that. We'll see how it goes." Ronin laughed quietly; honestly, the thought of Aoife growing any more just now was a little sad for him. He'd experienced precious little of her life so far, and here she was getting older and bigger every day. If he could press a button and stop time for a bit, he might have just done so. He cast a sidelong look at Roana as if in apology for their pacing, hoping that he would be able to build up to the sort of speed they were both used to in the coming weeks. For now though, it would just have to do.

Ronin snorted as she spoke, shaking his head. "We'll just have to change that, won't we? Can't have people thinking you're the enemy. You're helping me out well enough, and I know you'd not do anything that wasn't in the people's best interests." And it was likely those interests that led to her next question, Ronin frowning gently as he considered it.

"I don't think she would be against it. Not at all," he said. "She mentioned my needing to be stronger before helping her with 'her work'. Maybe that would form part of it. I could certainly ask, either way." As for the Hawthornes and the Launceleyns, Ronin hoped his blank and optimistic smile was enough to convey his answer: absolutely nothing.
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
Roana smirked over at him. "Well if any can redeem the Outlander Whore in the eyes of the people it's you." she said with a light laugh. Frankly, she hoped it would be enough for the people that she was "taking orders" from Ronin. That she wasn't acting on her own will might be enough to appease them. At least she hoped it would be.

When he said Safrin might support them, that was a relief. It wasn't certain but she did know that he was close with the goddess...and clearly the old gods were not fond of the Voice so she hoped it'd be an easy sell. "Well we will have you back up into everyone's lovable beefcake in no time." she said lightly with a laugh. Ronin had many friends, because he was so charming - the rogue knight in shining armor sort. That he knew nothing of the Launceleyn pact though did not surprise her and she shook her head. "I only know it because my cousin married into that family." she said.

"Basically, the first king of Northwind saw the Launceleyn's as a threat to his power and the kingdom. And somehow he convinced their founding head to bind them all in an oath to serve the king indefinitely, literally making it impossible for them to revolt against the crown's will, and thereby the people. It wasn't perfect but... if the Voice really is just a superpowered mage gone rogue...I should think any of the old gods either on their own or in concert capable of binding the Voice in this manner. Then there is no need to kill every Ascended, there is no need to try and kill the unkillable, no need to trap innocents in a bubble, and she would be kept in check by the other gods."
I don't know?
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
ronin
"Oh hush, Roana. You're no such thing - don't let the words of the masses get under your skin. You know it won't stop them saying worse things, given half the chance." Ronin smiled warmly across at her, nudging her in the side but having to keep his concentration mainly on the task at hand, even if it was only a reasonably paced jog by this point. This whole endeavour would have him floored for days, he could tell. At least the rain could cool them down.

Safrin would support them, of that he had no doubt, but he had no inkling of going back to his patron until such a time as he could prove himself more useful. Still, as the words loveable beefcake passed her lips he could only snort in sudden and unexpected laughter. Thank goodness they had reached the road into the settlement by that point, because at least Ronin could slow to a walk while he tried to catch his breath.

"Wow. Of all the people I expected to hear that from - and I didn't expect it from anyone..." He chuckled, sweeping his wet hair from his face and trying to concentrate enough to hear what she had to say about the Launceleyns. "An oath," he echoed, nodding in agreement. "The only issue I can see with that is... well. I don't see the Voice agreeing to it, frankly."
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
Roana just snickered and shook her head, letting his nudge sway her course slightly to the side (it was the little wins when starting up that meant the most after all). ”I know, I know. My skin is thicker than that, believe me.” she assured. She did wish people weren’t so adamantly against her – wished they would give her a chance to prove she wasn’t what they thought by doing something other than nothing. It would be nice to be able to go to the Rathskellar and not have random, nameless, faceless Outlanders whisper about her behind her back. But if that’s the level of petty people were at that was fine. It wouldn’t stop her from accomplishing what she needed to.

His reaction to her words was priceless. She laughed outright, her head falling back. ”Oh Ronin, if only you knew some of the things the female recruits would say about you in the guard changing room.” she said with a mischievous grin. Oh, yes. The Captain had been quite the heartthrob.

”Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on if we can find out her weakness, what will make her willing to give up her freedom.” Roana said with a light shrug. ”Or perhaps just the general idea – They managed to trap her once. Certainly she can be bound, willingly or otherwise.” she suggested. "It is the only solution I can think of with the minimal amount of potential bloodshed. Otherwise its full scale genocide." Wipe out the goddess of the ascended, the ascended would have to go too.
I don't know?
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
ronin
Even though he ought to have known it to be the case, it was still a mighty relief to know that Roana's thick skin would protect her from the jibes and insults of a population who only half understood her intentions. His smile was sunny at her reassurance, Ronin nodding only to... well. To blush furiously at her comments about the guards' changing rooms. "Come on now," he chided, laughing and shaking his head. Whether true or not it certainly wasn't attention that Ronin realised he was garnering.

Luckily, talk of the Voice, of her weakness and a potential way to bind her was a much more pressing conversation, and as he finally slowed to a walk into the settlement, Ronin nodded. "When I next see Safrin, I'll tell her. Maybe we can put your idea in place." He smiled. "But for now, I have an appointment with a bathtub full of ice. Thanks, Roana. For training with me."
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
That Ronin blushed only made Roana snicker more. Not in a way intended to wound his pride or feelings, but in a good hearted friendly manner. "Alright, alright I'll let you be." she said with a grin, committing to not teasing him further. For now at least. It was...refreshing though, to be able to laugh and joke with someone. She had so little of that lately, she appreciated the moment to just be...a person. It was easy for her to forget to cherish these moments, and it was easy for others to forget her capable of them.

Roana was pleased to hear Ronin was willing to take the idea up with Safrin. "I appreciate it. If we can get the Old Gods' assistance, I am positive we can set everything to rights." she said with a small smile, slowing to a walk with him. But even if they couldn't garner that, they would still have to try, which would be the much more monumental task. She grinned and snickered, nodding as he made note that he would need an ice bath after this. "Don't forget to stretch out too. I'll remember to bring you some pain medicine next time I am near the guildhall." she said. Sure, he needed to bulk up fast, but she didn't want him breaking in the process - he'd be wanting to live on pain remedies for awhile. "Of course! Happy to help anytime. Just let me know." she said with a smile. Perhaps their training could become a regular thing - it would be good for them both. Him, for the training, and her, for the friendship.
I don't know?
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
ronin
"And I feel like putting everything to rights is the least we can do, after... well. After the Spire." Ronin smiled softly and shrugged his shoulders, more than able to appreciate the hand they'd had to play in releasing the Voice from her prison, no matter the reason behind it. He flashed her a lopsided smile and pushed his wet hair out of his face, nodding appreciatively at the offer of pain medication. "I'd like that." He chuckled, rolling his shoulders and feeling grateful for the rain that fell around them for the way it cooled his skin.

Turning off into the road which led to the guildhall, he tipped Roana a wink and a lazy salute. "You know I will, just as soon as I can walk again!" he called, chuckling to her and casting her a wave, before turning for home. It was a long, long road back to where he was in terms of his strength, but Ronin would walk it gladly.