Personal Quest When is a Barn a Home
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

While Emmett was proud of his work on the barn, converting it to a new house after the massacre in his old one (structurally, it could probably be mended. But emotionally? Never), he knew it was not going to be sustainable once Deepfrost hit. There was simply too much work for one man and even though his siblings had the best will in the world, you couldn't trust anyone under 5 with a hammer.

There was the added rush of his new baby coming, too. Emmett had already altered his plans for the upstairs to include a nursery, something he had no idea how to tackle but knew he would have to. That seemed to be the way of a lot of things at the moment.

On his market day he made sure to tell people he would be giving out rewards for help, produce and food and drink, anything else he could give that might be desired. As much as he wanted to be self sufficient, his mother had always said: You gotta know when to ask folk for assistance, Emmett. And he was deciding to take on that advice. He went back to the barn hoping some people would show up from his efforts to help in the following days.

The barn was from the outside, unremarkable. But if one stepped inside they would see the upstairs had been totally walled off, a ladder leading to a door, within which were two bedrooms, one for him and one for his siblings. Downstairs a few crates served as chairs around a dark spot that was sometimes a fire, and various bits of clutter from the old house littered the walls.

It was homely, almost. But not complete: there was a large hole in the ceiling and the whole place still had an air of a construction project, tools laying around and every surface unpainted. Not really the place most people would bring up children.

It was early when he began to wait for anyone to come, knowing that a lot of his assistants could be farm folk, who always got up with the sun. Chris and Milly were still asleep upstairs for now, and he ate a basic porridge in a tin over the fire, watching the door.
----

Help Emmett convert his barrrrn!

Write your character arriving at the barn please :)

Slots:
1. Are
2. Killian
3. Roana
Emmett
There'll be no value in the strength of walls that I have grown
There'll be no comfort in the shade of the shadows thrown
But I'd be yours if you'd be mine
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Wiggen Offline
Change author:

Are
The cobbler usually wasn't one to snoop on other's business, but he couldn't avoid hearing about one of his neighbors talking about this one farmer mucking about with his home and offering a reward for labor. Both a perfect chance to meet someone outside the settlement and a welcome respite from the dyeing project gone awry again and again.

A belt comfortably loaded down with the usual assortment of tools and bags creaked and clinked merrily as the cobbler made his way between the patchy spring fields and low stone walls. He could've sworn he had already passed the exact same barn thrice already and been told to go on further every single time, but he thought that he'd finally arrived.

Just as the sun cleared the treetops he knocked on yet another door, hoping to not have taken another wrong turn. "Heill, it is the cobbler from town, caught word of someone needing a hand!"
Killian Soleil
Scout

Age: 27 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship:
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Zoa Offline
Change author:
KILLIAN
There were a few reasons, upon hearing about the farmer's ask for help in converting his barn, that Killian decided to join in the efforts. The first, he'd heard a bit about Emmett and the guy seemed nice enough. The second, after his visit to the shrine and all the thinking he'd been doing, Kiki had felt the need more than ever to be involved and helpful. To have a purpose.

And then of course there was the fact that not long ago he and Ianto had crusaded into a chicken coop while in their shifts, and borrowed a couple birds for lunch. He doubted it was the same farm, but if it was surely this would make up for it right?

After a few times stopping to ask for directions, Killian arrived at a barn that looked like it could fit the descriptions he'd been given. He wasn't super surprised and was glad to see a friendly face already knocking at the doors, and with a smile he jogged over to stand and wait with Are.

"Hey Are!" he said as he neared, and added, "I haven't forgotten about your project by the way, I'm working on it," with a friendly wink. He totally had forgotten about it, which was a bit lazy on his part, but now that he'd remembered he slapped it at the top of his to do list. Along with talking to Jigano about scouting. Oof, he had some stuff to do.

run for the hills before they burn
listen to the sound of the world
don’t watch it turn
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 24 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
Staring straight back at me?
So. The little punk was building a house, now was he? Seemed a good time as ever to meet the new potential in-law. Potential. Her mind wasn’t made up about it yet.

Emmett could have bet his britches that Roana knew all about him. Part of the reason she and her sister-in-law Phoebe had come to terms was because of the massacre of the Palmers. Phoebe had seen first-hand just how quickly things could change, how important holding on to the few people that were family was in this place and reconciled with the Captain. But you see, even if she hadn’t, Roana would still feel protective of her. Phoebe was her husband’s youngest sister, the baby of his family. He had been fiercely protective of her, and now she would fill that roll. Of course, the fact that he had broken her heart, gotten her pregnant and was now apparently manning up to do the right thing didn’t earn him any brownie points to start.

So what if one more Natural hated her guts at the end of the day? He would at least know the sort of thin ice he was walking on, and just how not alone Phoebe actually was in Caido.

Roana arrived not long after the other two, clearly dressed and ready to work. She didn’t recognize the one young man, but when she saw Are she laughed a little and shook her head. ”You are everywhere I go it seems. she said to him. But then her blue gaze turned steely as it came to rest on the young man who had to be this Emmett fellow. ”You must be Emmett. I’m Roana Steadman, Phoebe’s sister-in-law.” she said dryly, giving him an unimpressed once over. This boy was who Phoebe was all twitterpated over? Really? She crossed her arms, glancing about the barn with a clearly judgmental look. This was going to be a lot of work.
Why is my reflection someone
I don't know?
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

As Emmett heard Are knock at the door he set his porridge tin down by him with a clatter, hurried over to the door to greet him. He did not recognise this man, or at least not closely; perhaps he had seen him once or twice in town. But if he was willing to help that did not matter, of course. "And you're bringin' one? Thank you mightily! Come sit down while we wait t'see if anyone else is comin'. Hey, you got a name other than 'cobbler'?"

He waved for Are to find a seat on the ladder or one of the many haybales or crates nearby and stood by the door, hoping it would not just be him and this stranger - he looked strong but not enough hands for everything he needed. But luckily, another man showed up not long after. "Hey! Oh, y'know each other? What's your name?" Emmett had expected people he already knew to show up but it seemed it would be a mission of new faces. He hoped they would all get along.

When he saw Roana approach he frowned, thinking he remembered her from somewhere...oh. The Spire, and all the events surrounding it. She had been the Outlander...leader? No, not quite. But certainly an important figure in the fights. Emmett wasn't sure if they'd actually met or not (he had spent a lot of that week rather drunk) but she came to introduce herself, so probably not.

Not that her introduction was friendly. He held out a hand for her to shake anyways, trying to smile. Unlike Remi, he actually had to try get on with Roana. "Well, hey. Thanks for comin' along. Phoebe talks a lotta good stuff about you."

With three helpers there he was ready to begin. Before he could start building and finishing, he had to make the space ready. "Right, so we gotta clear some stuff out. There's tha'..." He pointed to a pile of large planks, stacked up against a wall, that used to make up the animal stalls. "Tha'..." Now to a twisted pile of spiked metal and fencing, a remant of the Longnight destruction. "And if someone could come help me get old Mila outta the back and to her new place.."

He pointed behind himself to a door, which would lead to a pen containing an old, grumpy cow. Emmett had constructed a smaller building in the front of the barn for her to live in which would protect her but clear out the space at the back for a kitchen. With jobs assigned he shifted into his donkey form to go and persuade Mila to move, but there would likely be someone else needed to keep her calm.

------
First job: Clearing things out!
Help Emmett with the cow, take the heavy planks, or deal with the sharp metal! Be creative!

Order doesn't matter for this round!
Emmett
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
Phoebe said a lot of good things about her, huh? A lot? Yes, let’s start off with lies, great way to begin with a first impression. ”Uh-huh.” she said dryly, clearly not buying it. It wasn’t that she thought Phoebe would talk bad about her, she just doubted Phoebe would say much of anything. They didn’t have a particularly close relationship after all. ”You’re one of the people from the mob that called me a whore, aren’t you?” she said. She frankly didn’t recognize him, but if he had broken things off with Phoebe over Outlander vs. Natural business, he at least was probably there. But Emmett stuck out his hand and Roana took it firmly, giving it one solid shake before pulling him in close, her other arm trapping him to her around his back. To the other two it would look like a rather friendly embrace, but the words she hissed into Emmett’s ear for him alone to hear would make the real intent clear.

”My trust and respect is a lot harder to earn than Phoebe’s, and based on your recent behavior I’m not exactly fond of you. And since I don’t really give a rat’s ass about you personally but Phoebe is the only sister I’ve left, let me be really clear so you can understand how things are going to work: if you so much as hurt a single hair on that girl’s head, or make her feel badly or jeopardize her general wellbeing ever again, boy, there won’t be enough of you left for Mort, Ludo, or anyone else to recover.”

The former captain straightened, pushing Emmett back out to arm’s length, a warm smile on her face despite the venom with which she had just threatened him. ”It’s good to meet you officially.” she said, before stepping aside to look at the work that needed doing. The main tasks seemed fairly clear, so she went ahead and approached the pile of planks. Carefully she stacked them up before carrying almost all of them on her shoulder with ease out to their designated spot. She would go back in and grab the rest once the pile was settled in its new spot.
I don't know?
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Are
"Heill! Enough shoes to keep me busy, no rush." he greeted Killian with a warm smile and answered the wink with one of his own. Very well aware that his project was more of a far fetched dream at this point, just hauling the stone would take the better part of a summer.

"Seems so, doesn't it? Heil ok sæl to you Roana, good to see you again." his smile grew even wider, two friends and a good day of honest work. Sure seemed like the next hours where shaping up to be exactly what Are needed to take his mind off of things.

As the door swung open he greeted the man with a curt nod and wiped the worst of the sunshine off of his face. "Heill, I am Are, most know me more by what they're walking around in than my name though." he said, barely keeping a wry smile from breaking through.

Are was about to go for the least pointy and ornery thing on the list but stopped short of the woodpile as he heard Roana almost hissing at Emmet. Wry smile exchanged for gritted teeth as he moved back to the two of them as they exchanged pleasantries. Tense, far too tense, and a hand unknowingly moved to rest on the head of the axe he kept on his belt. The cobbler kept Emmet fixated with his gaze for a few more moments after the hero stepped away. The 'what' of the situation was clear to the fool, and the 'why' could wait 'til later. With a snort and a shiver he moseyed over to the scrap heap and started piling wrought iron high on his shoulder.
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
Killian's greeting to Are was met with an amiable response, reminding him why it was he'd offered the favor in the first place. The door opened and the two men were met by a welcoming voice, inviting them in with thanks and leading them to wait near the front. Killian smiled his usual charming smile as Emmett greeted him and asked for a name, "Killian, or Kiki, nice to meet you," he said heartily, offering a hand for Emmett to take.

They didn't need wait long by the bales and crates before they were joined by another, a woman this time. She gave a quick greeting to Are before turning to Emmett and introducing herself with a cool tone. He recognized the name for sure, Phoebe's sister, and one of the leaders in the quest for the Spire. Roana.

An introduction with her would've been nice, though she seemed rather preoccupied in giving Emmett a rather stiff hug, one that was perhaps supposed to be friendly but came off a little intimidating. Killian's brows raised as he averted his gaze, hoping to make less of an awkward(?) situation. He waited until the hug was finished, then listened as Emmett doled out jobs. Roana and Are hopped on the first two jobs, leaving Killian to help with the cow. Luckily, he didn't mind at all, because cows are awesome.

"I gotcha," he called to Emmett, who shifted into a donkey (which elicited a surprised smile on Kiki's face), and then began to follow the man to the back. They went through the door, and came into a room with a pen. The cow that waited inside huffed as Killian stepped closer, her thin tail flicking like a whip. He'd wait until Emmett gave any further instruction before he tried to do anything, instead saying softly, "I'm attuned too by the way, so I can hear you if you want to say anything." Emmett might've already smelled it on him, but he wanted to be sure.

don’t watch it turn
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

Emmett frowned and moved his head back at Roana's accusation. Called her a whore? "Well, uh...I mighta been there, but I sure didn' call anyone tha'." Not that he had much time to be irritated when Roana quickly pulled him in and began a practical tirade of angry whispers, most of which made him widen his eyes in surprise. Was everyone in this town determined to hate him over Phoebe? There were two sides to the story and they'd made up, so he didn't see what the fuck it had to do with them.

But he didn't want to fight, not when she'd shown up to help with his barn. So Emmett just gave her a tight lipped smile and nodded, then stepped away.

She busied herself getting the wood and Are fetched the metal, so Emmett focused on his task. Killian came and told him he was Attuned as well, but all Emmett did in response was nod; he wasn't sure how to communicate telepathically yet and was not comfortable doing it with someone he didn't know. It felt more intimate than that, somehow.

Between the two of them it was easy enough to get Mila to move out to the pen outside, her tail swishing as she walked into the new area. He'd tried his best to make it comfortable for her with plenty of room, water and food. No one could say Emmett didn't care for his animals; in fact he spent so much time worrying for their well-being he often neglected crops.

Going back into the barn, changing to his human form on the way, he was happy to see how much bigger and clearer the space looked without the junk in it. "Oh, tha's better. Good job guys." But it was still...in need of quite a lot of improvement. The floor was covered in dirty straw, which was not at all helping the smell. The walls were scuffed and weathered, in desperate need of a paint. The door swung awkwardly on a loose hinge and there was a hole in the roof.

"I think I'll fix the roof next...if y'see somethin' that needs doin', feel free to do it. I ain' picky as long as it becomes livable in here." Emmett explained, then began to climb the ladder so he could reach the roof to patch it up.

---
Choose a way to neaten up the barns looks!
No post order again!
Emmett
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
Roana frankly didn't care what Emmett thought of her, nor if he thought her words out of line. Whether Phoebe and him had made nice was inconsequential. She was doing exactly what her husband would have done had he been around to look out for his baby sister himself, and she would not apologize for it.

Soon enough the barn was mostly cleared of rubbish...but boy was it still in rough shape. She sighed and shook her head. The kind of work this place needed was more than she considered just the four of them capable of tackling. It needed stairs and real floors and a stove and a real good deep clean. But they had to start somewhere. Grabbing a wide broom she set to sweeping up the dirtied straw. Roana would shove the stuff outside, leaving it in a pile behind the barn, before returning and sweeping up the floors of any remaining loose grime.

Roana sweeps up the dirty straw and the floor!
I don't know?
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
Not a lot of speech was required to move the cow, once Emmett got her started Killian just stayed close to help where he was needed. Soon she was out in the pen, looking as comfortable as a cow can be. Killian smiled quickly, giving her side a few strokes, then followed the farmer back inside.

Roana and Are had done their parts, clearing out more space. They were moving expeditiously too, and Kiki was impressed at what had been done so far. If y'see somethin' that needs doin', feel free to do it, was the next instruction, and then Emmett was gone outside. He put his hands on his hips and looked around, trying to decide on something. Roana quickly got to sweeping, a good call on her part because the smell that wafted up from the litter wasn't exactly what he'd call homey.

Well if she could do the floors, and Emmett was on the roof, Kiki looked to the walls. Weathered, and dirty, it would take some time but it was something that needed to be done for sure. With his new task in mind, Kiki went on the search for paint, eventually finding some as well as a thick bristled brush. His strokes were haphazard at best, but slowly the dark wood walls started to look clean and somewhat acceptable.

don’t watch it turn
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
Handy as he was, Are was no carpenter. Although he shrugged and decided to give the door a fair shake, so he went digging for the tools needed. A fair few nails, some half-rusted scrap to jerry-rig a hinge that at least didn't threaten to send the door crashing down on anyone come knocking.

Content with having something to do he started to relax somewhat. Even though Emmett seemed like a man cut from the same cloth as himself, Are could not shake the latent hostility that still hung in the air. The icy words and daggers Roana had stared at the farmer made him wonder though, was he again diving head-first into a conflict that didn't belong to him?

No, all he did was helping friends as well as he could. Standing by those that had stood by him when he needed them the most. That seemed noble enough, at least it helped him lay it to rest for the moment, focusing on the door that seemed more and more solidly mounted. Squeaking like a whole flock of rats crying bloody murder, but working. Kinda.
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

When Emmett came back into the main area after fixing up the roof, he was happy to see work had been done. The floor looked surprisingly different without the colour of the dust and the cover of straw, so much so that he almost had to double-take, amazed it was the same space. Perhaps there was more hope for his barn house than he had thought.

With the painted walls too, and the fixed door...well, it almost looked like somewhere intended to be a living space. Emmett grinned and walked about, nodding appreciatively at everyone's work before he came to the middle of the barn, where a large wooden post stood.

"I was gonna scratch me and the kid's names in here when we were done, but since all y'all helped too, you should be there with us." Lifting a small knife from his pocket, he held it out so everyone could carve their names in the post.

---

Thank you for helping with emmetts PQ!
No order :)
Emmett
Killian Soleil
Scout

Change author:
KILLIAN
After a while of work, the barn was looking pretty ship shape, the walls no longer a dusty rotted color but a clean and fresh one. It warmed up the place, gave it that cheery glow that was always necessary to make a house a home. A smile on his face (as well as a streak of paint that he hadn’t noticed on his hand when he wiped at his cheek), he stood back to look at all he’d accomplished, and at what everyone else had too. For now at least, it was a job well done, and it felt good to have aided in something like this.

Emmet came back in, with a series of nods at all the finished tasks, then told them of his plan for the wooden post. He walked over to take the knife that Emmett held out, chuckling softly and replying playfully, ”Glad I could help! And honestly thank you, didn’t know I was an artist till today.” He crouched down then to carve his name into the top of the post, his tongue pressed against the corner of his mouth as he focused on engraving four crooked letters - K I K I - into the wood.

don’t watch it turn