[SE] for a moment I forget to worry
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
A m a l i a
"Like the normal vampire gourds, y'know? But yellow." Perhaps this particular form of squash does not come in the vampire variety: Amalia has no idea. She is not a farmer, has no green thumb. It is remarkable that her herb garden survives as well as it does, and most of that is due to kindly neighborhood elders who try to preserve it in her grandmother's name. Shrugging, she turns a gentle smile back to Emmett, rising to stand again behind the stall. Slender fingers play absently with a lock of hair, the only sign of her underlying anxiety, her persistent concern that she has done wrong- but the boy is smiling, his stance more relaxed, and the baker is self indulgent enough to believe she has played some part.

Humming slightly in thought, Amalia tilts her head. "Well," she murmurs, a quizzical expression on her angular face, "I can't say I remember right now. I know one of them was to go outside, but we've already managed that much." She smirks, turning her black gaze to the revelers and the waning sun. Glancing slyly back at the boy, Amalia tries to be casual as she asks: "Do you have someone to light a candle with this year, Emmett?" It is half teasing, half earnest. She hopes he has found someone dear, someone to stand beside him in the dark. If not, she is more than ready to step in, to scoop him up and shelter him, if only for today.
She is messy, but she's kind
She is lonely most of the time
She is all of this mixed up
and baked in a beautiful pie
She is gone, but she used to be mine
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

"Huh." Emmett tried to stay away from the live fruit and veg. It felt weird, when a lot of his work was being quite rough with the crops, to think of them being sentient. Creeped him out.

Amalia said a part was go outside, which made Emmett scoff. With his lifestyle, he had to be outside every day whether he wanted to or not. He was sure from birth he had never spent a day entirely indoors, even the littlest Palmers taken out in blankets on nice days as soon as they were able.

Her question after surprised him, and he shook his head. "Well, nah. Bee had already gone somewhere by the time I thought t'do it, but I already lit one on my own. Or..uh..I should say, I wanted it to be on my own, but then some guy called Remi came up 'n' started criticisn' me." Emmett crossed his arms, a frown on his face. "He was real rude."
Emmett
There's a saying where I come from
Playing 'round with fire gets you burned
Well, I'll wear my third degrees
And my heart upon my sleeve
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
A m a l i a
Amalia listens to the younger boy intently, alternatively nodding or interjecting with a question. "Who is Bee?" the girl asks, one eyebrow arching, a glittering tease in her rich voice. It makes her smile to think of the boy with a partner, though she has to wonder where this friend has gone. Emmett clearly needs distraction, support in his time of loss. Or so Amalia has decided, and thus so it shall be.

That Remi should chide is a great surprise, and her face reflects this, eyes widening in surprise. "Remi?" Chucking softly, the girl leans forward, deeply curious to know how this boy could have offended the friendly, mild-mannered alchemist. "How did you manage to irritate him? Do I need to beat him up?" It is half-jest, half-honesty: as mild as the tension between Outlander and Natural may currently be, Emmett still belongs to her us, her flock, and Amalia is nothing if not loyal to her flock, defensive and protective to a fault.
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

"Oh, uh, Bee...Phoebe. She's my girlfriend. Real nice 'n' pretty, smart too. Wears a lotta dresses, she has brown-ish blondey hair and uhhh.." Emmett tried to think of more ways to describe Phoebe, a blush creeping onto his face along with a clearly besotted smile. "She's a midwife, y'might know her? I dunno where she's gotten to right now, though.."

It seemed Amalia knew Remi. Emmett hoped he had not offended, but it seemed she was willing to hear his side of things at least. "Well I think he's bein' mighty unfair. Me and Bee had a fight a lil while ago, but it all got sorted, but now he's decided it was all my fault, which it wasn', couples just fight sometimes y'know? And he's bein' all pompous."

Crossing his arms, he frowned. "Not any of his business anyway."
Emmett
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
A m a l i a
"Oh!" Phoebe, of course, the lovely girl who had given her a flower wreath and helped her decorate. "She helped make the banner for the stall." She gestures to the vibrant sign that hangs above their heads, painstakingly decorated by kind and artful hands. The young midwife had not told her much about her life, but it was heartening to know that at least these two had found some happiness in a difficult time.

Leaning her head on her hands, Amalia listens intently to the boy, nodding sympathetically at appropriate times. Likely the worst person to discuss romance with, the baker nonetheless does her best, trying to act the impartial judge as Emmett shares his turmoil. "Sounds like he's worried about her.". She tilts her head thoughtfully, playing with a lock of hair. "What was the fight about?"
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

"Oh, she did? Bee likes flowers 'n' stuff." Emmett nodded, thinking of the planting boxes on the windows of the clinic. He was always impressed with other peoples artistic creations. He'd never really been skilled like that; the things he made worked but were rarely pretty.

What was the fight about? Emmett chewed at his lip, unsure if he wanted to get into it. Partly because he still wasn't entirely sure. But she asked, so... "Well, uh...after Longnight. I was pretty sick, and I was...y'know, sad...cos..." He gestured vaguely with his hands, hoping she would pick up on the context. "And Bee looked after me, and I was real grateful, but then...she got mad we didn' uh...that we didn'..."

He rubbed the back of his neck, looking at Amalia and trying to work out how proper she was. "...That we didn' get close in that time. But I was...real hurt, and real sad, and...I dunno. I guess she felt like she wasn' bein' appreciated in the right way. Anyway, it's over now, we sorted it out. But Remi thinks it's his business."
Emmett
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
A m a l i a
She has gotten far too deep into things again, poked a wound not fully healed. Never tactful, always curious, Amalia continues to listen as Emmett speaks, silently wondering why she thought she could possibly help. Still the girl does her best, head tilting curiously dark eyes scanning the farmer's face. She nods when he mentions being sick, sympathetically tugging at her hair, a shadow passing over her as she remembers Long Night's toll. "You were lucky to have her-" and she tries to keep the bitterness from her voice, the loneliness she felt on those days of recovery, the pain and loss and fear.

There is a rosiness which tints her cheeks as he mentions closeness, unsure if his implications are what she thinks they may be. If so... well, she is not sure what to think. Intimacy after loss seems like a lot to ask for, and Amalia cannot imagine that is the extent of the concern. Chewing delicately at her lip, Amalia tries to find the words to both comfort and guide.

In the end, she thinks of her grandmother again: empathize, don't eulogize. "That sounds difficult. But also like you're taking good steps." Pressing her fingers to the counter, she drums a thoughtful pattern on the wood. "Aren't Remi and Phoebe from the same place? They must be like family."
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

Emmett noticed the blush on Amalia's cheeks and wondered if he'd gone too far, offended her. He'd never seen the baker with anyone...had she ever...? That was not an appropriate line of thought, he reminded himself, and cut himself off. Thankfully she recovered and when she spoke seemed relatively calm, once again kind and understanding.

"Yeah, they are. And....I wanna like him. Cos he's Bee's friend 'n' all. But he made it real hard after he came up to me like tha'. Hasn' even met me and decided he's gonna be all judgy. I heard he's got his own issues." Admittedly Emmett was mostly bluffing here, working from a few snippets of gossip and the sight of Remi with several different people who he may or may not have been romantically involved with. But he was grumpy, and did not want to see him in a good light.

"...I dunno. Everythin' with the Spire...it made it all a lil harder. I still don' know how I feel about Outlanders.." He sighed, shrugged.
Emmett
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
A m a l i a
Still mildly flustered by Emmett's skirting talk of being close, the baker is grateful when he does not push the issue, instead delving back into the Remi of it all. Amalia is bad at misunderstandings; she bristles back naturally, defensive at once for both the men, unimpressed with the petty masculinity at place. Remi being judgy, Emmett being defensive - she wishes she could tell them both to man up and calm down, or better yet, wholly excuse herself from this affair.

"You have - had - ah..." She flushes, awkward, remorseful at once before clearing her throat and trying once more. "Imagine if someone was dating your sister. I bet you'd be really hard on him, too, especially if you heard they had a fight." She would, certainly: though an only child, Amalia knows she would not hesitate to rise against any who hurt her kin, bit or scathed the hearts of her loved ones and left them feeling alone.

Emmett changes the topic - or does he? Because in the end is it not entwined, does it not still come down to us and them? Rising up Amalia sighs, wishing to think of anything but the Spire, of ugly nights and vengeful days and the lines drawn by either side. "I don't know, either," the baker admits, turning to stack some empty boxes, eager to work her anxiety away. "The Spire made things... complicated. The Outlanders should have cared more about our traditions, should have listened before changing the world-"

She cuts off, suddenly angry, her frustrations around the turn of events rising like ichor on her tongue. Sighing, she turns back to her boxes, moving the last of the baked goods to the counter, frowning slightly as she works.
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

"I guess, but she ain' his sister and no one--" Emmett sighed, rubbed his forehead. He knew his anger was doing most of the talking here, not his brain. "...Maybe I'm bein' too harsh, I dunno. I'm jus'...not in the mood t'be told how crap I am right now." On top of everything else, it really was the last thing he needed, especially when he was trying to make things right.

Amalia seemed to be uncomfortable at the topic of the Spire, which he understood. It was an uncomfortable situation all around. But he nodded solemnly at her comments, watching the way she cut herself off then turned around, unable to continue with the thoughts all Naturals had.

"Yeah, I know. This is what I'm tryina say to Bee, but she takes it real personal. The Outlanders come here and after bein' here less than a year, think they know best for alla us. It...it annoys me. I managed nineteen years without havin' to run over to the Spire." He shook his head, looking down to the ground. "But now it's done, ain' it? So I guess we all gotta live with the consequences. Fae, 'n' stuff. I hope the Outlanders don' screw that up too."
Emmett
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
A m a l i a
Amalia's knuckles whiten slightly as she continues to silently work, listening to Emmett talk about the Outlanders with a rising ire in her breast. It is wrong to be angry, she tries to reason. Most of them are not to blame. She has befriended so many, come to see them as family, as loved ones, as friends. The Naturals are as much to blame as the Outlanders: they should have been better, they should have prevented it, they should have done anything... but hadn't they tried? Hadn't they spoken while nobody listened, cried out to the stubborn, heedless mass, begged them to wait and reconsider while their world fell around their ears?

Amalia sighs and shakes her head, trying to push the thoughts away. "I hope so, too," the girl agrees, coming back to stand near Emmett, rubbing the back of her neck. Sighing again, she leans back over, her elbows on the countertop, her chin inside her hands. She looks troubled, thoughtful, and after a moment of silence raises her eyes back to the boy. "Can I ask you something?" Chewing gently at her lips, Amalia tries to frame her question as color rises in her cheeks. "How do you do it? Being with an Outlander? I... that is, there's, um, someone, and we..." She flushes further, wholly incapable to verbalize the thing she and Deimos share.

"I worry it will be a problem," the girl admits, staring fixedly at the counter, tracing the grain with a fingernail. "Somewhere along the line. Though I guess it doesn't matter now, not to them anyway, but..." And again Amalia trails off, the unsaid things hanging in the air. They are still them. We are still us. How do you manage to close that space?
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

As Amalia came to stand next to him Emmett stepped a little to the side to give her space, followed her gaze out into the festival.

At first he didn't understand the question or have any idea how to answer it, but as he thought more he realised he did have a solution, just not....necessarily a good one. "Uh...we don' talk about it much, cos it'll just lead to a fight. I guess it depends on how y'Outlander person cares about everythin', how sensitive they are. Who...uh...who is it?"

He didn't like to be nosey, but he felt maybe some context could help here. "...It might matter when we come up against another barrier, or another stop of some kind, a fight...and we all argue again."
Emmett
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
A m a l i a
Not talking about it is not the answer she had wanted, nor one she thinks will be particularly useful in the grand scheme of things. "Hmm." Frowning, she looks upon the assembled crowd, black eyes hungrily searching as though she hopes to spot a familiar head of sable hair. When Emmett asks her who it is the color rises back in her cheeks; suddenly bashful she bites her lips, not sure how much she should reveal. Her feelings are so soft, so new, so fragile and tender, so perfectly hers. She wants to hold his name in her breastbone, to feel it fluttering just for her. To say it is to name it, give it to the world; she wants to defend it as long as she can. "I don't think you know him," she answers shyly, tugging at a lock of hair. "And we're not really anything yet- I mean, we are, I hope, but it's really new and-" She falters and fails, awkward and bashful, a crimson flush vibrant on her cheeks.

His next statement is enough to kill her smile, wipe away the happiness and replace it with an anxious sigh. "I hope not," the girl answers fervently, shuddering to think of another barrier, another thing interrupting their liberty into the world. "Are you going to go into the woods?" she wonders, turning back to look at Emmett, curious as to his upcoming plans. Without his family, will he stay anchored, remain here in the land of loss? Or will her try to forge new stories, find a path beneath the trees?
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

Amalia didn't seem too impressed with his advice, which wasn't that surprising given what the advice actually was. He knew it wasn't a good answer, but it was hard to neatly sort out years of cultural angst amid teenage first loves. The criss-cross of dramas was really too much for his newly-traumatised brain to conquer.

She was embarrassed to speak of her new love. Emmett smiled to himself, watching her become just slightly flustered. "Well, I hope ya work it out."

He blinked at the question at first, confused. He hadn't even considered going outside into the woods, not with..well...everything. "No, I don' think so. I got the farm, and the kids, and Bee, and...a lot t'plan for." Emmett shrugged. "I don' think it'll be for me anyway. I've always been happy with the farm and what I've got."
Emmett