[SE] for a moment I forget to worry
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
A m a l i a
Late afternoon of the festival, and the Amalia who has returned to her post is a far cry from the girl who first opened it. Smiling, the baker greets and gathers, warm welcomes offered to all passers by. Though not gone, never gone, the apprehension and anxiety which infuses her skin is faded, at least, returned to its normal post of watcher, a snake in the grass for now undisturbed. The stall itself feels more alive, vibrant and alight with flowers, banners, and bread, bustling and crawling with festival goers eager to collect pasties and cakes.

By dusk they are nearly out of wares. Foot traffic has been plentiful, the initial apprehensive of the Naturals at last giving way to grudging acceptance of the youngest Chandrakant. So when business at last lulls to a brief stop it is a welcome respite, a chance for the girl to catch her breath. Amalia sighs happily, leaning heavily on her elbows, her leaf green dress characteristically covered in flour. She surveys her remaining stock: a collection of soft buns, sticky and sweet, alongside some cookies and one last loaf of hewa, decorated with a traditional sun. She ought to start packing, she knows, cleaning and sweeping and preparing to take down the stall.

But for the moment she is content to stand, looking out into the vibrant festival and breathing in the warm spring air. Besides, there will be time tomorrow. Today is for pleasure, and happiness, and fun.
She is messy, but she's kind
She is lonely most of the time
She is all of this mixed up
and baked in a beautiful pie
She is gone, but she used to be mine
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Usually Emmett spent plenty of time by the food stalls at Fiat Lux, serving out portions of food from the farm or trading with the other merchants. But with everything with Phoebe, his recent slower rate of work and two young children to care for, he had not had much time to spend there. Only to get lunch, and even then it had been an event completely eclipsed by Phoebe's announcement.

He was still reeling from it, really. From Remi's words and the daunting idea of his future that now lurked in the back of his mind. Wandering by the stalls he wasn't really thinking that hard, just wandering and trying to clear his mind, sure he would not have much chance to relax in the upcoming months (years?).

Spotting Amalia at her stall, looking happy, he smiled. It was good to see her enjoying the festival; he was not familiar with the baker but when he had seen her, she had never looked all that happy. Stopping at the edge of her stall he laughed as he saw the flour all over her. "Y'had a good day? Look like you did a lotta work, puttin' all the rest of them to shame."
Emmett
There's a saying where I come from
Playing 'round with fire gets you burned
Well, I'll wear my third degrees
And my heart upon my sleeve
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
A m a l i a
She has been enjoying the respite, basking in the glow of peaceful solitude, the quiet pleasure of success. Amalia is an introverted thing; as much as she has enjoyed the festival, she values the time to recharge and refresh, away from whispered voices and prying eyes. The fresh air, the warm sun, the strains of music in the air- all of them make for a lovely tableau, a framing of the gathered, celebratory souls which the girl watches with onyx eyes.

Ah, but solitude cannot last long on days like this. The baker draws herself upright as the familiar farm boy draws near, pushing her weight off of the counter and dusting off her sleeves. No rest for the wicked, the girl reflects, smiling ruefully and inhaling a breath before turning her sunlit expression upon the young man. He is something from a memory, half-known, though a name evades her now. His family must have traded with them, she thinks. Eric Allens? No, that's somebody else.

Shrugging, Amalia smiles her reply, pride coloring her narrow cheeks a rosy pink. "A lovely day," the baker affirms, pulling absently at her sleeve as memories of early antics flicker through her mind, her senses filled with scattered flowers and wild dark hair and strong arms and a buoyant smile, a far-off look upon her face.

Returning her attention to the boy, the dark-eyed girl clears her throat. "And you? Have you been enjoying yourself...?" Edgar Chestnut? No, they all have fiery hair. The girl nibbles on her lip, willing herself to remember that just-out-of-reach name.
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

It was obvious from the first second Amalia saw him that she wasn't quite sure who he was, and Emmett found himself breaking out into a bashful smile, embarrassed for her: he had been in that position himself plenty of times, people who he'd met once at market expecting him to know every intimate detail of their lives later.

"Emmett. Emmett Palmer. My family owns--or, uh, owned -- a farm. We...I...trade here sometimes." It had been a while since he'd confused his words so, distraction from Amalia's faulty memory catching him off-guard. "You're Amalia, right? Sell a lotta cakes today? I'm sure plenty of people wanted them. Dancin's hungry work, and y'stuff always looks good."
Emmett
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
A m a l i a
Emmett Palmer. As soon as he says the name it clicks, and Amalia grins bashfully at her own mistake, pulling at her sleeve. How could she have forgotten? He was one of the younger ones, but always a good sort, trading with her mother and grandmother and bringing crops to Fiat Lux. There were more Palmers, too, a gaggle of them, and Amalia had known his sister since they were girls. She had only forgotten who Emmett was because...

...because...

And as he speaks her smile falls, for she knows why she did not think of his name. On a night not like this one, in a forest not here, Amalia had seen the Palmer clan walking, led them through darkness and toward a sea of lantern light. There had been so many souls that night, so many familiar faces, but now, looking at Emmett through wide, glittering eyes, she sees them all in him and remembers.

"I'm sorry, Emmett," the girl whispers, hushed, ignoring his comment about her bread. "Your family... They are with Ludo now, and Mort. I promise." They are not lost. They do not wander. They are safe.
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

Amalia's condolences came so suddenly they shocked him, Emmett not prepared for her gentle words. Immediately he felt the sting of tears behind his eyes, even though he wasn't sure how he felt about Ludo and Mort and all of that. Safrin had told him the same, and he was glad of it, but he still wanted his family to be here.

"...Uh...I...Thanks. Thanks." He eventually nodded, unsure of what else to say. "I'm...y'know. Keepin' on. So um..h-how are you?" Emmett asked, far too casually trying to lean on the table and look as if he were just innocently changing subject.
Emmett
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
A m a l i a
She has made a mistake; as Emmett's face falls her own falters in turn, realization of the pain she must have caused searing through her mind. For a moment they are silent, too mourning children caught between their loss. Amalia wishes she could say something kind: It gets better or they're still with you or they would want you to live, but she knows how hollow those platitudes sound.

She has heard them herself, time and time again.

Instead she gives him a gentle smile and allows him to change the subject, adopting a face of weary satisfaction. "Well enough, given the state of the world." Leaning toward him conspirationally, she lets her own elbows land on the table, mischief pulling at her lips. "Wanna know my secret for bad days?"
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

Blissfully, Amalia did not try to linger on his dead family; she let him move on. He nodded to hear she was doing well too, though said nothing - he had no idea what the ins and outs of her life were and had little to comment on. Once, he had found conversation with strangers easy and flowing; it seemed the last few months had sucked his energy dry until he could only answer to direct questions.

It was for this reason he was relieved when she asked him one. "No, I don'. What's the secret?" He asked, leaning in a little like a conspirator.
Emmett
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
A m a l i a
Leaning a little closer now, Amalia attempts to don a serious face. "The first step," she explains in a low, quiet voice, "Is... And with that she disappears behind her stall, emerging seconds later with two of the last sweet, sticky rolls and bottle of apple cider. "Sweet food, warm drink, and good company to share it with." It is another one of the many things her grandmother would say, and though it feels awkward in the girl's mouth she stumbles through it valiantly, flashing Emmett a grin and a wink. It pains her to see him so sad and war-torn: she remembers him as a friendly boy, industrious and full of life.

Amalia offers a sticky roll before taking a long sip of cider. Wiping her face with her apron (and somehow succeeding in leaving more flour behind, her cheek now sporting a pale patch), she smiles encouragingly at Emmett, hoping he will enjoy the snack, that she has not misstepped again.

"Ready for step two?"
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

As Amalia disappeared behind her stall Emmett wondered for a moment what she was going to do. Was this some kind of trick..? Normally he would never have suspected anything off in this calm of a moment, but his wounds had taken their toll and left him paranoid in every second of doubt.

But no, she brought out some drinks and food. With a little relieved smile he took the sweet roll, ate it in big bites; he had never been someone delicate with food. He hesitated to pick up the cider. Emmett had told himself he wasn't to drink anymore, but...one wouldn't hurt? As long as it stays one. He told himself as he took his first sip.

"...Yeah, I think I might be. ...Thanks." He said, a warmth in his eyes as he waited for Amalia to reveal the next part of her plan.
Emmett
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
A m a l i a
Emmett may be disappointed to realize that the cider is just that, cider, crisp and refreshing but utterly devoid of alcohol. Amalia is not one for liquor: her one experience proved she cannot hold it, and now she avoids it like the plague. Still, her smile broadens as he takes a sip, quietly delighted by her ability to get him to warm back up, to rekindle some happiness in his eyes.

Taking the bottle back from him and sipping some herself, Amalia turns her attention to the milling crowd. "Step two," she explains mischievously, "Is to people watch, and come up with the story behind what they're doing. See those two?" She points to a pair of revelers, both men, both dressed in tunics of an appalling shade of chartreuse. "What do you think went wrong, and led them to both wear the same outfit to Fiat Lux?"
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

Emmett was actually pleasant surprised when he drank the cider and found no bite of alcohol in it, glad to be able to drink it without worrying about how it might affect him later. He was not an addict, but he knew when he was looking over the precipice of a problem and did not want to take any steps toward the edge.

He looked over to the men she pointed out, smiled a little to himself at the hideous colours of their outfits. Emmett had never had much of a fashion sense, but he stayed safe by sticking to shades of greens and browns, colours he could trust to take on mud and not look too awful.

"Uuuuh..." Emmett had never been particularly creative or great at stories, but he wanted to humour Amalia's kindness. "I reckon they both were meant to sell vegetables this year, but the harvest didn' work out, so they dressed as the crops t'make themselves feel better."
Emmett
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
A m a l i a
The girl laughs jubilantly at his tale, thoroughly amused by Emmett's creativity before clearing her throat and shaking her head. Adopting what is meant to be a serious expression, she nods at him, resting her head upon her hands. "They had a whole plot of vampire spaghetti squash going. They had kept them warm through LongNight, and taught them how to dance. Despite a few ankle nips, everything was set for a Fiat Lux performance. They promised all their friends an unparalleled show, raunchy enough to make even Frey blush."

With a wistful tsk she shakes her head. For a quiet girl she is an adept storyteller, her tone conveying the crescendos and disappointment if the tale with aplomb. "They had not counted on the barrier falling. With the world open to them the gourds escaped, vanishing into the woods. But what were the farmers to do? They'd made promises, told Frey there would be a show. And thus..."

She gestures to the poorly garbed men, both wholly oblivious to the pair's scrutinization, wrapped up in their ale.
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

"Vampire Spaghetti Squash." Emmett repeated with a smile on his face, sure he had never heard of such a crop in all his years of farmwork. The rest of Amalia's story was fun too, far more weird and creative than his. Though he wasn't quite able to believe the two men could manage any kind of dance erotic enough to even briefly impress Frey.

Watching the two men as he laughed and sipped at his cider, he looked back to Amalia briefly. "Okay, y'win. So...is there any more steps?"

While at first he had thought Amalia insensitive to bring up his grief, he now found himself liking her plan very much, enjoying the lightheartedness and fun of it.
Emmett