To Live, Perchance to Love
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
Phoebe smiled and lifted a hand to rest against the side of his face, her thumb stroking his cheek. ”You will be more than enough, Emmett. I know it. And I will be here to help.” she said confidently. ”Even if the farm was going really well they might not want to farm. All you can do is support them and ultimately it will all work out.” she said with a smile.

But she was quickly distracted by his kisses, which she was happy to let herself melt into. None of this was going to fix anything – in the morning her heart would still hurt, she would still yearn for what she could not have. But for now, she was content in his embrace, seeking solace and comfort in the affection he could offer; a momentary distraction from their reality. The hand that was tucked to her chest moved to press against his, the hand on his face moving to wrap around his neck, desperate to keep him close. Time would not stop here as it did in the realm of the gods, but she could still lose herself with the moment with him. His intensity surprised her, a soft moan escaping her lips between kisses and her fingers curling gently into his hair in response.
Cause getting your dreams
It's strange, but it seems
A little - well - complicated
There's a kind of a sort of : cost
There's a couple of things get: lost
There are bridges you cross
You didn't know you crossed
Until you've crossed
And if that joy, that thrill
Doesn't thrill you like you think it will
Still, why am I not happier?
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Emmett
Tell me, how do I feel?

"Yeah, thanks. I...you're enough too, Phoebe. For me and for everythin'. And...maybe it'll work out despite alla the rough start, right?" Emmett wasn't quite sure where his sudden spurt of optimism had come from, but while it was there he wanted to enjoy it.

There was a hand place on his heart and he smiled at the warmth of her touch, pressed his lips to hers and gently rolled just slightly over her. For a second his heart soared as she was there in his arms, soft and lovely and-- then a surge of panic shot through him. This was how the trouble had started. This was how tragedy had stuck.

But -- if he didn't continue, would she worry about his lack of contact? The same as before? When she had convinced herself he didn't care...?

Was this even a big thing, or was he making too much of a deal about it?

Emmett found he'd been laid trying to work this out for far too long, up over Phoebe on his hands but not moving, just staring. He tried to smile. "Oh, uh, sorry, I just...got distracted by how pretty y'look."
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
His words took her off guard, but the touched her more deeply than he likely assumed they would. With but a few simple words of heartfelt sentiment, she felt pieces of her shattered heart begin to mend. Frey had enveloped her in warmth and shown her the simple complexities of life, suspending the slow disintegration of her heart and soul. Remi had given her some encouragement and tough love, reminding her of all she was capable of on her own. And now Emmett, without realizing it, was carefully putting her back together again, talented builder he was. ”Thank you, Emmett.” she said, smiling at him warmly, eyes shining with words unspoken but prophesized by Safrin herself; love, pure and simple, without reason.

Phoebe was easily shifted beneath him, her arm on his chest lifting to join the one around his neck on the other side. But as it did, he froze, and so did she in response. Brown eyes fluttered open, and she realized that despite holding himself directly above her, Emmett was clearly not home. His vacant stare met hers as her brows furrowed in worry. It took her a moment to piece together what had gotten him so distracted…realizing that the time in the Glade after seeing Frey aside…the only other time they’d been intimate was right before…

He seemed to come back to his senses and quickly tried to cover up his awkwardness. Phoebe merely smiled, dropping her elbows so his face was cradled in her hands, her thumbs gently running across his cheekbones. ”You don’t have to lie to me…and we don’t have to do anything if you don’t want to.” she said gently. Did she want to? Absolutely! That was exactly the sort of distraction she wanted from her reality. But she wasn’t going to press him for that comfort either. ”But it isn’t Long Night. That won’t happen again…and eventually, if you keep running away from the things that scare you, you’ll wake up an old man and realize you forgot to live.”
Until you've crossed
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Emmett
Tell me, how do I feel?

As soon as he saw the soft, understanding smile on Phoebe's face, Emmett knew he'd blown it. He'd been too obvious. He closed his eyes at the feeling of her stroking his cheeks but sighed too, wishing he could be anything but what he was at the moment. Scared of things he wasn't even aware of.

"...Tell ya what. Gimme...a couple days. You're right about needin' t'do stuff, but...just a couple days. Then I'll...uh..." He laughed, trying to recall his ma's romance books she liked to read. "...I'll ravish ya, Bee. If ya'd like that." Slowly he got off her, laying to the side and pulling her back to his chest. "It's just...right now, s'all a bit...raw."

Hoping that explanation would suffice he leaned over to blow out his candle, making the room dim, only the small bit of moonlight coming through the looser boards illuminating the floor. "G'night, Phoebe. Love ya." He whispered into her hair, not thinking about what he was saying, and began to fall asleep.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
It wasn’t hard to see his disappointment. In fact, it would be harder to miss it. She leaned up and gave him a quick peck on the lips before resting back into the pillows again. That he would ravish her made her laugh, unsure if she found it funny or exciting. Maybe both. ”Take the time you need. The ravishing can wait.” she said with a giggle, scootching close to him as he pulled her to his chest again. ”Cuddling works just fine for me for now.” she assured him. It was probably for the best anyways. Emotions were high. She was exhausted. Better to simply bask in each other’s presence than continue the sprint that had encompassed most of their relationship.

Her eyes had just closed as he whispered into her hair, her breath catching in surprise. His admission brought tears to her eyes – happy ones to be certain – and she grinned into the darkness. She squeezed the arm she had around his waist, hugging herself to him in response. ”I love you too, Emmett.” she whispered back, feeling her heart warm and race, mending slowly.

The next morning she slept later than she was accustomed to, thoroughly exhausted from the events of the previous day. Only when a bit of light made it through the loose boards did she stir, eyes squeezing closed more before opening. With a yawn she sat up, looking around, confused briefly before remembering where she was, then thinking to look for Emmett.
Until you've crossed
Emmett Palmer

Change author:
Emmett
Tell me, how do I feel?

Luckily for Emmett, Phoebe was understanding, even joking with him about the ravishing, which made him laugh all over again.

He was tired (often was these days) and fell asleep quickly after he'd said goodnight, but was awake just enough when she responded to smile and hug her closer, not realising in the depths of drowsiness the importance of the exchange they'd just had. In the morning he'd hardly remember it, but would feel a soft warmth around his heart, a reassurance that was always there.

Emmett got up early, as you had to when you worked on a farm and looked after two young children, but left Phoebe to sleep, thinking she probably needed it. Before the sun had fully appeared over the horizon he had fed the animals and gotten the children up and dressed, taken his daily stop by the house to be quiet for a moment and think.

By the time she woke up he was downstairs, cooking breakfast for everyone. There had been a good batch of big eggs from the hens lately, so a lot of meals had been egg-based. This morning they were scrambled, Emmett whistling as he stirred them around a saucepan and nudged toast over on it's rack on the fire. Chris and Milly both chatted and ran about, waiting for food to be served. He was planning to go and give Phoebe breakfast in bed, like his pa used to sometimes for his ma. She'd always liked it.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe was about to mess those plans up though, not really one to sit around in bed, especially when her boyfriend had clearly vacated. She wasn’t terribly surprised by that, she was sure he had plenty of chores to attend to, and the earlier they got done the better. As she stretched, a small smile curved her lips, remembering the sleepy exchange. Briefly she wondered if he meant it, or if it had been a sleep deprived stupor that brought it on.

Either way, she was going to cherish it.

Slowly she rose, straightening out her dress and slipping her shoes back on. Without a brush her hair was rather impossible to work with. Fishing in her pockets she found a hairtie and quickly wound it up in a big messy bun atop her head so she could deal with it later. As pretty as long, thick hair could be, it was also quite a pain. Quietly she made the bed then came out of the room, seeing the three Palmer’s downstairs. ”Good morning! I am sorry I slept so late.” she said a bit embarrassed, face still pale but looking more rested than the day before.
Until you've crossed
Emmett Palmer

Change author:
Emmett
Tell me, how do I feel?

Phoebe's greeting made Emmett look up towards her; as soon as he saw her he smiled, unaware of the complete adoration on his face. "G'mornin'. I was gonna come up to you...y'hair looks nice." He hadn't seen it up before, didn't see it as messy but as a style choice Phoebe must have made, and a good one at that.

"Come sit down. We're gonna have eggs." He looked back to his cooking, took the toast off the rack and began to butter it with fresh butter he'd made a couple of days before. That was the nice part of having the farm. It was hard work, but satisfying to have good food always on hand. "I'll give y'alot. Y'look hungry."

He passed a plate to Phoebe heaped with eggs, then smaller portions to Chris and Milly, taking the rest for himself. They both readily dug in. "Did y'get good sleep?"
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe’s cheeks reddened ever so slightly, realizing she couldn’t remember if he had ever looked at her quite like that. It gave her the sensation of butterflies in her tummy. ”Oh, thank you.” she said with a smile, self-consciously patting the messy bun atop her head. It wasn’t the prettiest style but it got the job done.

She was already on her way down the ladder when he bid her come, going to sit near him while he finished preparing breakfast. As she passed Chris and Milly she greeted them as well with hugs and little kisses atop their heads. ”I do?” she said with a small smile, not offended, just curious. She didn’t know someone could actually look hungry.

”I did.” she said with a smile, taking her plate, which seemed to have enough for four people on it. ”Though I was confused for a minute about where I was when I woke up. How about you?” she asked before digging in to her own plate. The freshness of everything really was noticeable in the taste, and it was clear from her expression that she liked it. ”This is really good, thank you.” she said to him between bites with a small smile.
Until you've crossed
Emmett Palmer

Change author:
Emmett
Tell me, how do I feel?

"Oh, I dunno. Jus' somethin' Ma used to say." Emmett shrugged, not wanting to offend Phoebe by any more words on her apparently hungry appearance.

He was glad to hear she slept well, he knew she needed it. The bed in his room here was....not awful, but left something to be desired. Emmett had half been expecting her to come down complaining of misplaced springs and poking hay, though he supposed she had told him she came from humble origins too. Perhaps she was used to uncomfortable beds. "Yeah, I did okay. I gotta get up early in Longheat t'do chores, though."

"If theres one thing I can do, it's make eggs." He smiled, holding up a fork. Emmett got on with eating his breakfast as the kids finished theirs, Milly coming up to stand by Phoebe and tug at her sleeve: "Phoebe, how come you stayed over last night?"
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"Sounds like a very mother thing to say." she said with a smile, clearly not in the least bit upset with his statement. Phoebe was usually very bad at hiding her emotions from her face, and even when she tried to it wasn't convincing. He didn't have to worry too much about knowing if something hurt her feelings or not.

As she had guessed he had risen early to get a head start on farm chores. "I am sorry I didn't get up sooner. I could've helped, or at least made breakfast for you." she said, feeling a little guilty for sleeping in. After the night she had before though, it was really no wonder she had slept late. Her mind and body had needed the extra rest...and frankly she still felt like she could sleep more. But she could have done something to make Emmett's day a little easier, especially after letting her stay over so she wouldn't be alone.

For a moment they all ate in silence, a sign of the good food Emmett had made. But a tug at her sleeve had her pausing to look down at Milly, who clearly had a question; and a good one too. Phoebe smiled at her warmly and smoothed her hair back gently. "Oh, well Emmett and I got to talking and it got dark and late, so I stayed here rather than walking all the way back to town in the dark." she said. Which...wasn't completely a lie. It perhaps wasn't the whole truth but it was accurate enough that Phoebe could say it with a straight face.
Until you've crossed
Emmett Palmer

Change author:
Emmett
Tell me, how do I feel?

"Pfft. Y've done enough lately, been through it. You can get to sleep." He dismissed her worries, waving his fork mid-egg chewing. It had really not even occured to Emmett to ask Phoebe to help with the chores, the routine so embedded in his mind nowadays that he could have done it in his sleep (or half-asleep, which was indeed how he did it most mornings).

Milly seemed to accept Phoebe's answer as good enough, nodding then walking off to do whatever important business it was children had to do in the mornings. Emmett glanced over, putting down his finished plate.

"D'ya want me to walk y'back to town?" He asked Phoebe, standing up and cracking his knuckles. "I was gonna go to market at some point in the next few days anyway, and I'm sure the kids'd like the change of scene."
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe smiled at him warmly as he brushed off her apologies. It did help her feel better to know he didn’t think badly of her for sleeping in. ”Thank you.” she said softly, finishing her breakfast. She was equally glad that Milly didn’t question her further. There wasn’t really a need for her to know just how complex the conversation was, nor did she want to get into the details with her so she could understand. All that mattered was the basic thought – they had talked and so she stayed over. That she had almost been an Aunt was irrelevant really.

She stood when Emmett did and nodded. ”I would like that. I can get you some of Milly’s monster spray while you’re there.” she said with a little grin. ”Do you need me to carry anything to town for you?” Surely there was something she could do to help. With two small kids, going to town to trade had to come with some challenges.
Until you've crossed
Emmett Palmer

Change author:
Emmett
Tell me, how do I feel?

Emmett gathered together his good walking boots and pack of market supplies, most of the actual produce wrapped up in the cupboards under his stall in the Settlement. "Oh yeah, we can' be forgettin' that. Though there's a lot less monsters in the barn, right?" This question was directed to Milly, who nodded confidently.

"Nah, it's alright. I just got the bag. Maybe y'could make sure the kids walk good and straight?" So often, he would be distracted carting heavy things up and down the road he would miss his siblings running off until they were returning covered in mud.

Once everything was ready he locked the door then holding Phoebe's hand, headed off down the road, smiling at the warm sun hitting his face and Milly and Chris running to look at birds on the wall along the path. Despite the painful absence of the blooming life that had been in Phoebe, he knew he could eventually be content with what he had, once the ragged edges of hope had mended.

Swinging her hand, he began to walk.

(end?)