[se] baby that's the fun of me
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
Remi the Alchemist
"these mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb"
"Of course." Remi agrees with an immediate smile. "I would enjoy that. There was a woman who was a panther back in Northaven that I hunted with. There is something especially nice about hunting with someone of the same species."

Glancing over, Remi nods into her apology, his smile still boyish and light despite the weightiness of his words. "Ahh..well.." The alchemist begins, brow furrowed. Honesty comes easily to Remi, but there is something strange about recounting all that he has been through. It feels almost like he is bragging somehow despite the negative colour of the events.

"When I first came here...the man I loved took off with someone else. Shortly thereafter Frey removed my love for him, cursing me over a question they perceived as rude. Not long after that Ludo tried to trick me into killing myself. When that did not work it forced me to kill my mother—though she was not truly my mother—and made me a hybrid, as I was now abandoned." Pale sea-glass stare looks up at the softly drifting clouds, and Remi moves a hand from behind his head to let his fingers drum gently against his stomach. "It tried to kill me again during Deepfrost, posing as a long lost friend of mine. When that did not work it gave me its mask, which was later stolen from me. When it learned that the mask was gone it removed the memories of those that I loved, which..." Trouble darkened Remi's sunny expression like a storm, and for a moment he just nibbled the inside of his lip. "...well. Was harder than I could have ever expected. I was seeing someone at the time, and after he learned what had happened he decided that loving me was too hard given all that had happened and he went to the Voice to have his memories of me taken."

Ruffling that hand on his stomach through his hair, he shot Amalia a small smile, rolling onto his side so he could properly watch Aoife. "Isla was killed, though she is back now...sort of." A glancing towards the unicorn confirms this, who snorts and continues grazing. "And then there is the death of Ronin of course.." That soured his smile completely as he reached out a hand to gently stroke Aoife's back.

Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580

There is an almost eerie quality to the way he speaks, so detatched and distant from the sordid details, the tragic tale. Remi does not look at her, but Amalia's eyes never leave his face, searching for something more in those green eyes, some indicator of the feelings beneath his mask. It comes, at last, when he speaks of Ludo's curse, sending a shiver down the girl's spine. To have lost and lost and lost again...

She shakes her head and look away, blinking back her own tears. There is an anger there, too, for him but also at him for the threat this poses to her understanding of her gods. Frey... Amalia shivers again, her face growing briefly hot as she remembers her encounter with that particular being. Frey's curse is not entirely unexpected.

But Ludo? Such cruelty contrasts greatly with Amalia's experience of the the mysterious soul guide. Looking at the sky, the pious baker frowns, perplexed. There is more to this, she is sure of it, but the girl does not pry.

She does not catch his falling expression, too lost in her own thoughts. Ronin- and Amalia catches her breath, nodding, though she worries.her bottom lip beneath her teeth. "I was there. Watching. I saw you all fight the Spire Demon, and Ronin-"

And what can she say? That he died bravely, doing what was right? Half of that is true, but Amalia stood on the other side of that line, protesting and picketing the changes to their world. Ronin's death - his success - set off a chain of events, the consequences of which were still unveiling. She thinks of Rory, trying to hold them all together; of Roana, Edrei, and Ashetta, threatening to kill him should he dare to speak his name.

Swallowing, Amalia turns back to Remi, a million things on her lips, unsaid. "He was a good man." In this, at least, she can be sincere. Her encounters with Ronin had been entirely positive, and she, too, hurt to see him fall.

Amalia
i've been watching your kindness keep
a lonely company - look at the fire and think of me
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Remi the Alchemist
Gently Remi looks towards her, eyes perhaps more boyish in this pained remembering. "I do not think I can remember a single other face from that day." He says with a small smile that only lasts a moment on his face. "After Ronin died... all I could think about was getting Aoife back from Vai." Later he would learn there had been a group, that Rory had amassed people to him in order to stall the efforts to enter, but in the wake of what happened, the alchemist hardly cared.

He still didn't.

"Mmm. The best." Remi agrees, pulling in a sip of air and letting it go with a smile. "And now we look up and see him in the stars, isn't that right?" He cooed gently at Aoife, running a hand through her dark curls.

Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:

Amalia may not be the best at social graces, but she knows well enough when to let things go. Besides, there is nothing she can say, no way to take the pain off Remi's shoulders and restore the light to those green eyes. Shifting on the blanket, Amalia lounges onto her side, her head propped up on her left hand as she watches the little girl play.

Swallowing, she makes an attempt to steer their way back to more pleasant topics, willing to give a piece of herself now that she has seen more of him. "We aren't born Attuned, either." He already knows this, of course, but it is important in her belated answer, the story of her rebirth. "We're either Accepted - with a clean slate - or Abandoned, with magic." Reaching out to pull at Aoife's toes, the baker smiles at the baby, her voice adjusting a childlike cadence. "My nani - my grandmother, was an attuned- yes she was, and she was beautiful, a fearsome and gentle tiger." She scrunches her eyebrows, lets the leopard ears return to the sides of her face, touches a damp, cold, feline nose to Aoife's, if the child will allow it.

"My mother was an abandoned, though. Abandoned can't choose to become attuned - well, usually - but she had healing magic and worked for a long time in the infirmary. I was also accepted when I was born, and I think she was disappointed by that. My grandmother wanted me to become attuned, but my mom didn't. She always told me I should wait to decide until I was older and had experienced more of the world." Shrugging, she looks back at the sky, peering into clouds. It was one of the many things the woman had argued over, another of countless points of contention between Rishima and her mom.

Amalia
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Remi the Alchemist
Aoife cackles happily, more than familiar with the feline characteristics that this sudden change in Amalia only makes her glee increase. Softly Remi listens, a faintly unhappy look clouding his face for just a moment. "Abandoned...I know I come from a world without gods and do not truly understand things but..." With a glance towards Aoife, he shook his head. "She might yet have magic, and she is certainly not abandoned. Not by her family, not by the gods either, if her eyes are any indication."

Listening to Amalia's tale, Remi rolled onto his stomach, propping his chin on his hands and looking all the more youthful for it. "Mmm, we were meant to wait until we were 16 as well to decide. " Remi offered, humming a note of understanding. "How old were you, when you became an attuned?"

Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:

"No, I don't suppose she is." Amalia's face takes on a distant expression, unspoken worries clouding her eyes. Not long ago the gods and their ways used to be her sermons, the truths by which she wrote her life. To say she no longer believes would be a gross overstatement, but there are questions now, challenges to her comfortable view of the world. "This one will always have someone looking out for her - isn't that right, Sir Aoife?" She grins and nuzzles the girl again, blowing a gentle raspberry on her cheek, but there is a solemn earnestness to her voice. The people of the Hollowed Grounds look after their own, and Aoife is one of them, after all.

Sitting back, Amalia smiles at the young man, a bit of a blush on her cheek. "Ah... twenty," she admits, tucking her hair behind her ear. "Safrin changed me, before Deepfrost." The girls alto voice is rich with reverence, still quietly awed by the memory of the gift.

Amalia
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Remi the Alchemist
Remi's glass-green gaze scans Amalia's face. He sees the distance suddenly in her eyes and it makes him want to reach over and squeeze her shoulder. But...there is distance between them too; distance of worlds, of experiences. They are still hardly more than strangers and given the leopard's hesitation so far, the alchemist thinks it best to let this one go. Still, his heart reaches out towards her, even as his hands remain beneath his chin.

With a squeal of joy, Aoife reaches out for Amalia's cheeks. In her tiny mind she equates this game with whiskers and she is eager to feel the whip-length of them beneath her palms.

"This Deepfrost?" Remi clarifies. He's rubbish at guessing ages at the best of times, and though he thinks he and Amalia are close to the same age, almost anything is possible in this strange new world.

Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:

The feeling of hands on her whiskers is bizarre, and Amalia wrinkles her face in response, sensitive hairs tickling beneath Aoife's palms.

"Yeah." Sheepishly the girl sits back, taking her tail into her hands and twisting nervously at the luxurious fur. "I know it's been half a year and I should know more, but..." She glances at the grazing unicorn, remembering her predatory possessiveness with Kiada, they way the leopard could still take over when she changed her skin. Suddenly self-conscious, the girl's features retract back to their human state, anxiety rising in her mind.

Amalia
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Remi the Alchemist
The girl is no wiser to Amalia's potential unhappiness with her lack of boundaries, and merely cackled raucously in response.

"Oh no, I did not mean that." Remi tries to quickly clarify, leaning forward as if catching Amalia's eye will somehow communicate this.

"Can I ask you something?" The alchemist blurts suddenly, and now it is his turn to look sheepish and a touch uncertain. "When I am a lion...it is so easy to lose myself in it. For the instincts to take over. When I first shifted..." Trailing off, he looks genuinely troubled now despite the small smile he offers. Running a hand through his curls he takes a deep breath through his nose. "..it was bad. Really bad. Was it like that for you?" He knows it's a personal question, one that he likely has no right to ask given Amalia's hesitancy already. But he has to know, and she seems to have the closest experiences to his out of anyone that he has met thus far.

Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:

She is grateful for the clarification, even if it doesn't make her feel better. She should know what she's doing, she should have better control. She should have been studying, learning, using her gifts to serve the gods who gave it to her, rather than spending her days on dreams and dance.

Picking anxiously at the grass, Amalia glances up in mild surprise as Remi admits to a similar lack of control. "My first time... I had jusy, um. Been badly hurt." Turning back to the crown of grass she has begun to absently weave, the girl shrugs her narrow shoulders, looking pensive as she tries not to remember her fleeting brush with desth. "Being the leopard made it easier to recover. Lke I was a different person. Stronger and braver. But I don't always know how much of that is me, and how much is it..."

Looking back up at the grazing unicorn, Amalia awkwardly half-smiles. "You, uh, you were the first ones I interacted with in that form, actually."

Turning black eyes back to Remi, Amalia tilts her head. "How was it for you?" she asks him softly, empathy rather than judgment written in her face.

Amalia
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Remi the Alchemist
With a sympathetic and gentle smile Remi listens, his gaze watching Amalia's fingers as they anxiously pluck at the grass. With a wince, he nods hearing that she had been injured, knowing what it's like to slip into a second skin and feeling the effects of that strength right away. "I have never properly tested it but...any time I have been critically wounded while as an animal I am forced back into my regular body. As if I cannot die as one." Gently he shrugged, indicating that it was clear why he'd not properly tested this thesis.

"We were—" He mumbles, his mind slow while it thinks on other things, but quickly catches up. "In the infirmary! With Kiada.." The memory is slow to come back, but as it does Remi's smile fades away. It is certainly not a happy memory to linger in.

"As a lion for the first time...was possibly one of the worst moments of my life." He replies, his honesty evident despite the hurt writ on his boyish features. "Ludo had tricked me into the woods with the image of my mother. The dead had seemingly come back to life when we all first came here and I thought..." With a self-reprimanding chuckle, Remi shook his head. "I am not sure what I thought, but I followed. It was not her of course and when the illusion was revealed that was when I shifted for the first time." The colour had drained somewhat from the alchemist's face, and unlike Amalia, his hands had gone completely still. "I tried to kill her. Ludo too in fact. Later I found myself at home and a young man tried to help me as I had hurt myself quite badly, and I nearly killed him too. " The story was made perhaps all the more horrifying by Remi's blatent honesty, the way he tried to justify nothing.

Glancing across at Amalia, he offered a half smile without much heart in it. "For a long while I refused to shift. I was thrown into a pit and stayed there for days fighting for control over myself."

Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:

"Yes." It had not been a pleasant night, with Kiada in mourning and darkness at the door. Amalia regrets referencing it; her own rueful smile dies along with his, replaced by something pensive and insecure. She had acted a fool that evening, letting the leopard dictate her actions instead of focusing on the girl. Taking solace in Aoife's innocence, the baker reaches out to entertain the child, the braid of grass an offered plaything, her angular face halfway hidden behind a cascade of golden hair.

Remi's story deepen's Amalia's frown, makes her chew nervously at her lip. It is against the things she knows and believes for her gods to act like this, punishing and taunting without remorse to those who do not reserve. The girl cannot imagine what Remi must have done to deserve such ire, cannot picture the earnest alchemist as anything less than good. Shaking her head, she sits back with a sigh, confused and empathetic, aching for the man. "My world has not been kind to you-" and it is not pity but a statement of fact, accompanied by a head shake of lament. "I wish I could show you the beautiful parts of it. I cannot imagine what it must be, to be taken from your home to such a cruel place."

She glances back at his boyish face, affectionate and kind and a little inspired. "You take such good care of this one, though." She presses a finger to the baby's nose, the smile returning to her lips. "I don't know you well, but I you're strong and brave. Just don't forget to take care of yourself."

Amalia
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Remi the Alchemist
Of course Aoife immediately puts the woven circlet into her mouth, gumming on it hard. Cackling a happy chord and pulling at the bits of grass braided throughout with un-dexterous hands, the alchemist smiled and simply let her. He had been raised in the dirt and the soil, and though he knew there were probably reasons to keep Aoife from chewing on grass, he couldn't think of a single one in that moment.

With a genuine smile, the alchemist dips his head in soft acknowledgement. "At least I came with most of who I knew. Had I been alone here I think that would have been the worst of it." Amalia's offer to see the beauty in this world did not console the alchemist as much as she might have thought, for it was the ugliness, the unhappiness with him that Ludo seemed to demonstrate that had fixedly caught his attention. "Do you know of Ludo? Why..it is the way it is? I knew it would be cross when I told it that I had lost its mask but...it seemed..." Softly he shook his head, biting the inside of his lip. "I suppose I just do not understand." With a hesitant but optimistic glance towards the baker, Remi's eyebrows rose slightly to invite her to speak, if there was something she might offer, but quickly he looked away, not wanting to put undo pressure on her.

Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:

"That is fortunate." Amalia smiles in return, happy to hear that Remi has some support with the adjustment to this place. There is some bitterness in her eyes, however, memories and emotions she would rather not express. The Northaven contingent is a populous one: most of the Outlanders seem to have come from there, a community displaced as one, contentedly taking over someone else's home without much thought to the history or ways. Idly she wonders if he knows Roana, if he stood beside them as they shouted, if he too wished for Rory to die.

The topic steers back to familiar ground, and Amalia is relieved for the distraction, glancing back to Remi as he mentions the god. Relaxing enough to regrow tail and ears, Amalia thinks a moment before answering, trailing a fur-covered finger gently across Aoife's nose. "I don't know why Ludo has been unkind to you," she answers honestly. "It is a trickster, but I have never known it to be cruel." Not that she has great familiarity with the being - but still, trying to lure one to their death so many times seems rather too extreme.

"Ludo was made - died - during the first LongNight. It was a child, and Mort took pity on it, letting it live on as a soul guide." Jigano had told her about the origin, the snowy night and cruelty of strangers cast upon a child. "It serves as a soul guide now, keeping the dead for Mort until they can move on to him. We helped it collect the ones who had died in LongNight of this year."

Amalia