[SE] Capture the What Now?
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 24 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
ROANA
I can hardly wait
to see you come of age.
So Roana and her boys had heard all about this capturing the sun business - and eaten lots of roasted meat as Jax liked to point out - but now they wouldn't stop talking about it. Momma we have to go capture the sun! No momma first we got to make baskets! Momma we gotta talk to Safrin too! Momma, momma, momma sun this, LongHeat that, it was endless. Momma was gonna need to capture herself a drink before it was over!

Fortunately, the former captain knew just who to go to to try and satisfy her children's need for extracurricular activities. Ianto had gotten the boys all hyped up, now he could help with making baskets. Of course, all three were very excited about this. They were going to make baskets and captured the sun just like the winged people did (she was trying to get them to say Fae, it was a work in progress)! She had arranged to meet Ianto in the Fields, knowing he didn't like going into the Hollowed Grounds too far, but not wanting to take her boys too close to where the Fae actually were.
But I guess we'll have to be patient,
'cause it's a long way to go.
CORMAC RHETT & JAX
Table base and considerable assistance from Sky!
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Age: 30 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
Ianto
Hoo boy, Ianto had his work cut out for him here. Luckily, he and Roana had a working relationship that he was currently very happy with, and in fairness he had shaken up her trio of boys into something bordering on dangerous hyperactivity. He wasn't stupid, though - he didn't bring the Wishing Wagon to the outskirts with him, the fox appearing on four paws so he could better weave and bound through the long grasses and avoid the heat of the day.

That did mean, however, that he popped up in his human form just a few feet from where she waited for him, smiling sunnily and clapping his hands together. "Right - baskets!" He glanced around at the boisterous trio, before leaning down to pluck a long, reed like stem from the grasses. "We are going to need a lot of these," he said. "You three reckon you can help me with that?"

Coding base by Sky!
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
ROANA
I can hardly wait
to see you come of age.
Roana should have expected Ianto to pull a sneaky little trick like this - really she should have. She knew he could turn into a fox. And yet, when he suddenly seemed to just poof into existence just an arms reach away she very clearly stiffened in surprise, a hand darting to the hilt of her blade. When her brain processed that it was just Ianto, the sword had actually been drawn slightly before she stopped. She sighed, sheathing it and shaking her head. "One of these days I'm going to punch you on accident, popping up like that." she said with a smirk. Ianto seemed to have luck for days though. He'd probably be fine for awhile. Probably.

The boys shouted at his sudden appearance then broke out into excited laughter. "Yeah, we can do that!" Cormac said with a serious nod. Of course, Roana would pitch in too, but she was definitely going to let the boys do the bulk of the work. They needed the wearing down. Rhett looked at the reed Ianto picked closely, studying it almost, before hurrying around the grasses and picking out ones that were exactly like it. Cormac did a fairly good job picking out the right sort of grasses, but he was also keeping an eye on his brothers...and with good cause. Chubby little Jax meant well. He really did. But attention to detail was not his strong suit where sweets were not involved. So he was was just grabbing handfuls of grass without really any regard for their structural integrity.

"No, Jax, not those ones!" Cormac said seriously. "Not the floppy ones. See, look what Rhett's got." As if perfectly on cue - because indeed the brothers seemed to always be on the same wavelength - Rhett paused his collecting and held his gathered reeds up in the air, waving it to show their stiffness. "Ooooohhhhhhhh..." Jax said seeming to...sort of get it...doing a better job of grabbing the right sorts of grasses for the most part. So Cormac just followed him around, and every time Jax picked the wrong thing, he quickly plucked it from his hand and discarded it, with such speed that Jax didn't even seem to notice. Or he just didn't care because he was having quite fun regardless of his accuracy.
CORMAC RHETT & JAX
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Age: 30 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Ianto
"And on that day, my dear, I will deserve it." Ianto laughed wickedly, offering Roana a roguish bow for her trouble and straightening up once more so he could engage her sons in the game of the day. Not that they needed much in the way of engagement, following his instructions with a swiftness that made it clear that these were a captain's sons, undoubtedly. "Tell me again, 'sister', how you manage to get a wink of sleep with my 'nephews' around?" He chuckled, waiting until they had gathered more than enough before lifting his fingers to his lips and letting out a shrill whistle.

"Alright, that looks good enough to me! C'mon, c'mon, this basket won't make itself!" Beaming, Ianto strode through the grasses until finding a seemingly random place to flop down, sitting cross legged in the sun and already gathering together a few twigs for the framework.

Coding base by Sky!
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
I can hardly wait
to see you come of age.
Roana grinned back, glad he saw the humor in her statement rather than a threat she hadn't intended. "Glad we agree on that." she said with a snicker. She turned her gaze to watch her boys, proud to see them working together...sort of. As rambunctious as they were she had done a fairly good job of teaching them to follow directions she thought, as best as could be expected from kids their age anyways.

The former captain glanced at Ianto and feigned a confused look at his question. "Sleep, dear brother? I'm quite certain I don't know what this 'sleep' is." she said then laughed a bit. Of course she did sleep...just not a lot or long. "I am very much looking forward to them being teenagers and my biggest trouble is getting them out of bed."

The boys all snapped to at Ianto's command, bringing their armfuls of grasses to him. They sat around him in a half circle, Roana kneeling down behind them to help keep and eye on the three. "What are those bits for?" Jax asked. Meanwhile Cormac sat watching sternly and Rhett grabbed similar twigs, squinting at Ianto's work to try and copy with clumsy little fingers.
CORMAC RHETT & JAX
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Change author:
Ianto
"Perhaps you'll have to invest in a babysitter for an evening. Ah, what a truly romantic time you'll have... alone. In bed. Fast asleep." Ianto chuckled to the ex-captain, knowing well that although it had been said as a joke, Roana likely wouldn't turn an opportunity like that down. For now, however, they had baskets to make! "These? These are for your frame, boys." He winked, bending the twigs here and there and criss-crossing them over so he could make a skeleton bowl for the reeds to sit in. Luckily they weren't brittle, and the work was easy.

"If you like, I'll do this for each of you, and you boys can put the reeds together. Are we making one big basket for the three of you, or three small ones?" He smirked, tilting his head expectantly.

Coding base by Sky!
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
I can hardly wait
to see you come of age.
Roana snickered at Ianto, laughing only because despite the teasing tone it did sound wonderful. ”A more romantic scene has never been painted in my mind. I just might get goosebumps.” she said with a grin, shaking her head a little. Oh yes, parenthood really would do a number on what one considered a romantic anything.

The boys watched intently as Ianto formed the frame of the basket, eyes wide with awe. ”So they are like bones then?” Cormac asked, head tilting to the side. ”Yeah, and the rest of the basket is all the squishy bits outside the bones?! Like the skin and the muscles and the organs?!” Rhett added, making their mother sigh and shake her head. ”I swear I am not raising serial killers. We just learned what bodies are made of the other day so now everything is made of body parts.” she said, clearly equal parts embarrassed and exhausted with the constant macabre similes.

”One big one!” the boys said in near perfect unison, but Roana quickly began shaking her head, holding up three fingers for Ianto to see. Trying to get them to share a basket in which a task was involved would be a nightmare and would probably result in one single basket being ripped in pieces.
CORMAC RHETT & JAX
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Change author:
Ianto
Ianto could only offer Roana a cheeky wink in response to her grin, his hands a little full with her rambunctious trio of boys, as well as the twigs and the reeds. "Just like bones," he agreed, nodding enthusiastically to them and laughing at the somewhat macabre description. He shrugged at Roana. "At least they're quick learners," he remarked. Quick learners who wanted to make a giant basket, apparently.

Catching their mother's mouthed warning, he flashed them a golden smile. "How about," he said, "I make three small frames for you. And one big one for your mother? Then you can have a competition, and see who can make the best basket?"

So saying, Ianto was already finished with the first one, handing it to Jax before starting work on the others.

Coding base by Sky!
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
I can hardly wait
to see you come of age.
Cormac’s little chest puffed out in pride, having made the connection correctly between the basket structure and the skeletal structure of a person. ”Good job!” Jax said brightly, one for giving encouragement to his two brothers with ease and regularity. ”Indeed they are, but it also makes them hard to argue with.” Roana said with a light laugh. They caught on to complex concepts easily – and whatever went over Cormac and Jax’s heads Rhett seemed to make up for, already very intellectual given his age – which meant they could easily talk their way around just about anything. Their arguments might be simplistic from an adult standpoint, but they were still shocking on occasion when heard coming from a young child’s mouth.

”Okay! the boys said in unison, happily agreeing with this plan for three small baskets and one big one. Roana’s shoulder’s slumped a little in relief, mouthing a ”Thank you.” to Ianto for his quick thinking. As soon as Jax got his basket he started trying to put it together. Of the three, he was the best at making things, his hand eye coordination surprisingly good. Roana only had to guide him a little to move the reed’s between the structure, pressing them down to the bottom snugly.
CORMAC RHETT & JAX
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Change author:
Ianto
Winking at Roana's mouthed gratitude, Ianto nodded brightly to the boys and proceeded to make the other two frames (though he would likely 'forget' Roana's, given that there was enough work to go around as it was and he very much didn't think the captain would mind). Handing them out and continuing to pluck the reeds up and pass them around, he found himself smiling contently as the baskets came together under the Longheat sunshine.

"You know," he said brightly, "I think these are some of the best sun catchers I've ever seen!" Which was easy to say, granted, given that this was Ianto's first time around at this as well. "You boys might be ready to go out there and try to sneak some sunbeams into your baskets. Remember to be careful, though - the sun will run away if it hears you coming!"

Coding base by Sky!
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
I can hardly wait
to see you come of age.
Oh no. Roana certainly wouldn’t mind. If she really needed a basket, she was pretty sure she could find an already made one that would do the job just fine. Besides, this was more about keeping the boys entertained and that required some real supervision. After a few go arounds, Jax was in a little basket making groove. Cormac had a bit more trouble, not really having the necessary patience for this kind of crafting. Then poor Rhett. As observant and intelligent as he was…making things was not his skill set. Never fear though! Momma and Ianto were there to basically build his basket for him.

But once the task was done, all three were very pleased. ”What do you say, boys?” Roana said, prompting them to remember their manners. {/i}”Thank you, Mr. Iantooooooo!”{/i} they nearly shouted in unison, big grins on their faces. Roana just sighed and shook her head – quiet wasn’t really their shtick. So much for catching the sun.
CORMAC RHETT & JAX
Ianto Dea Arduinna
Merchant

Change author:
Ianto
Ianto burst into musical laughter at the symphony of thanks that rang from the mouths of the boys - even if they totally went in the other direction to sneaky. "You're very welcome," he said, nodding gently and folding his arms across his chest, examining each basket one last time and seeming very pleased. "Well - until next time, my young adventurers. Don't do anything I wouldn't!"

Speaking of which, he punctuated his last remark by promptly shifting back into a red fox. Yapping excitedly at the three boys, Ianto bounded between them for a few moments before nudging his nose against Roana's arm and promptly darting off, back into the long grasses.

{END}

Coding base by Sky!