[SE][OPEN] They Did Not Train Me For This
Open Basket Making SE
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless
Grand Sorceress of the Arcane Academy

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 7 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 23 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Hook, line, and sinker. Whoever had broken this man had done a very good job of it. It was almost admirable handiwork.

"Of course you do. You'd be foolish not to, Peter, and you are clearly not foolish." she said sweetly, a near coo in her voice. "But don't let your emotions get the better of you. Silly things, emotions. This is your destiny, to be one of us, and the few of us left will welcome you with open arms so long as you keep up your end of the agreement and grow." she said, picking up the basket and standing.

"Come now. You will move to the family home, so I can keep an eye on you while you adjust. I am Zariah, the Head of our family. You will now be Peter Launceleyn. I don't want to hear Carrengay ever pass through your lips again. Understood?"

Zariah
I won't be held down by who I used to be
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 87

Peter felt his chest swell at the slight praise, the sweetness in Zariah’s voice. How long had he fought for this, how long had thrown every bit of himself into things he did not believe in for a mere ghost of the feeling he had now. The word destiny swirled in his mind, perhaps all the hardship and pain he had endured had been leading to this.

”I will do my best.” Peter promised earnestly, waiting a beat after Zariah had starightened to stand himself. The very corners of his mouth quirked up, the ghost of a ghost of a smile. ”I will make you proud.”

The mention of moving nearly gave him pause; Maea had been kind, and to leave without saying anything seemed... wrong. Peter shoved the thought away before it had a chance to stick in his mind. He couldn’t give up on something as good as this for a feeling. ”I understand. Peter Launceleyn.” The name was strange on his lips, but it would be his own before long. Better than his own, the name of a family. ”Are there... many others?”
PETER
They don't know you like I do
The little secrets that you keep
I'm gonna haunt your dreams at night
You'll have to hide those kitchen knives
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Zariah was very pleased. This had been a good decision, she could feel it. He was so eager to please, so eager to make her proud - and he had only just learned her name. So simple. Briefly, she wondered what Neron might have thought. He'd have snubbed his nose at his lack of true lineage, and no marriage to tie him in...but she thought given the circumstances, he would have seen the value in someone so mouldable. He would've begrudgingly gone along with it she decided and just waited for an opportunity for Peter to mess up, then remind her how he didn't care for him all along.

How she missed him.

"I am certain you will, if you're smart, and so far I've no reason to think otherwise." she said, turning to lead him to his new home. "There used to be. In Northwind, our family compound was so large it was a city unto itself. We had so many members it was common for us to intermarry, but our bloodline so diverse through careful planning we did not fall victim to the diseases of royal houses." she said, giving some background. Her lips turned slightly down at the corners.

"Only myself, my two children, and Edrei were brought here. One other was as well but he disappeared. But now there is you." she said, giving him a slight smirk.

Zariah
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

The history of his new family seemed like something Peter should know, and he focused intently on Zariah’s words, committing it to memory. He hoped that in time, he would actually understand what she was talking about, but for now he would focus on simply retaining everything she said.

”Will I... will I get to meet them?” It was easy to keep hidden, but knowing there were others, people he had yet to meet worried him. But... Zariah had seen something in him, surely the rest of them would as well. ”Do I need to... do anything?”
PETER
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah glanced at him, face back to its perfect mask of nothingness. "Yes. We all live in the same place. Edrei is really the only one you've to worry about. Beatrix and Jace are children." she said, offering him no assurances. He would have to earn Edrei's respect on his own. She had little interest in sorting out disputes unless she absolutely had to. They were adults. They could deal with it.

"You need to get stronger. A few knives won't be particularly helpful for what I've planned." she said. "I need you to train and become a formidable foe worthy of making our enemies tremble with fear. I assume you can handle that?" she said lightly, though there was really only one correct answer.

Zariah
Peter Pikely

Change author:

Edrei. Peter searched his mind for anything he might have heard of her, any mention he might have heard of the name prior to this, and came up blank. Socialization had never been one of his strong suits, and he had stopped even trying once he had arrived here. Nodding, more to himself than to Zariah, he decided he would just... do his best. But... ”Should I... be worried?”

Train and get stronger? Peter had been doing that his whole life, of course he could keep doing it now. For her, for a family. ”Yes. I can... I will.” He had a feeling this was maybe one of those questions that didn’t need an answer, but he couldn’t help himself. He also couldn’t help the halting question that followed, the nvertain if it would be crossing a line but needing to know. ”Do I... will you tell me your plans... before, or... or when it’s needed?” Not that Peter through he had anything to offer whatever her plans might be, he was the wind up doll in most cases. Point him at a target and say ‘Make me proud’.
PETER
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
”Only if you make her angry, she has a lovely temper.” she said with a light shrug. ”But she is also fiercely loyal. I suggest you do your best to get into her good favor.” Whether he could or not wasn’t something Zariah could say. Edrei had a tendency to be a bit unpredictable. Her assumption was she would welcome Peter into the fold because she herself had, but there was always the possibility of her spurning him behind her back.

”Good.” Zariah said in a clipped tone as he confirmed that he would do exactly as she had wished him to do. It hadn’t required an answer but she was glad he had nonetheless, further proving his subservient nature. A good tool was always handy to have. When he asked what she was planning, she paused. ”You will find out in due time.” Even if she had no issue telling him, she certainly wasn’t going to discuss it out in the open like this.

Zariah
Peter Pikely

Change author:

Tempers were something Peter had learned to avoid, a fact that helped to relieve some of the worry that buzzed in the back of his mind. He would learn to impress the other members of his new family, the one, maybe two that there were. The only reference Peter had to go off was Zariah, and she... was difficult to read at best, but if he was quiet, and followed the rules, he would be fine. That was always how it had worked out before, wasn’t it?

Zariah’s short response and tone kept Peter from speaking again, not a sound passing between his lips as he followed her to his new home. He didn’t want to annoy her too quickly, give her any reason to be unhappy with him, or to regret her choice, not this soon.
PETER