silent night, starlit night
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
only lonely hid the morning from the stars
It is the third day since her kidnapping, and Amalia has returned to the one place she feels most comfortable: a shrine. Vi and Safrin may not be here, but their presence is felt in the baker's tales, the loreseeker's loving rendition of myth. As the sun falls low and the night draws near Amalia's alto voice rings through the candlelit space, weaving legend for her young companion, a bedtime story of life and stars. The starwhale hums her interest from her place on the girl's lap, tucked in over folded legs. They are lit by starlight, both in the heavens and closer, a projected point of soothing them in this troubled, anxious time.

She wishes she could know the whale's story, learn about her soulmate's home, her journeys through the sky. Jyoti has taken to life on earth gamely, but sometimes she catches her companion gazing at the sky, an aching longing so familiar ringing through their bond. It is part of why they came here: they had been told that from the Observatory starwhales can be seen, passing by in familial pods and lighting up the heavens. But they have yet to see a fleet of starlight, or even another fae. The night is quiet, warm and soothing, only the rustling of leaves and the chatter of distant animals to serenade their pair. As Jyoti drifts in and out of sleep, Amalia runs gentle fingers across the whale's back, leaning against the trunk of a tree and singing softly into the night.

"Silent night, starlit night,
"All is calm, all is bright.
"Lovely Safrin, vassal of Vi,
"Gazes down from the glittering sky,
"Sing the praises of Vi!
"Sing the praises of Vi."

"Watch the moon in its flight.
"Leave your worries within Safrin's care
"Dream my sweetheart, I'll see you there,
"Dancing high in the sky,
"Dancing high in the sky."

"Safrin, grace us with your light.
"Soon the sun will once more arise
"But for now, rest your tired eyes.
"Sleep in heavenly peace,
"Sleep in heavenly peace."

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Safrin

"As good of a baker as you are, I wonder if you shouldn't have been a poet instead." Safrin mused, her voice falling down like satin from the tree bough above Amalia. Cloaked in midnight black, the goddess raised a hand and made a swiping motion causing the branches above her to part so she could better see the stars. "Ahhh, much better." She mused to herself.

Drawing a shape, the stars above began to shine brightly along the course of her finger. As she drew, an image began to form above; a wide head, a bannered tail, eyes full of joy. A starwhale. With a soft and almost secretive smile, Safrin hummed to herself, before glancing down to woman and whale beneath her.

"I watched her fall." The goddess offers. "The fae have never let any die before, but I must say, I am surprised that she ended up with you, only because...well. You all aren't really welcome here." Safrin said with a short laugh, her eyes falling to where the pit lay in the darkness.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia
Tilting her head back to look among the boughs, Amalia cannot help the blushing smile which breaks across her face. "Safrin," she murmurs reverently, gratitude and respect lilting in her voice. Wonder and affection fills her heart: the pious child doubts that she shall ever grow accustomed to these responses to her prayers, the attention from deities who have shaped her world. To be praised for both her baking and singing is nearly more than the girl can bear, filling her with a strange, bashful pride, making her squirm. "You honor me, but it is my grandmother who was skilled" Amalia is nothing but an echo, a hollowed reminder of a half-forgotten chord.

The stars Safrin paints with are reflected in her eyes, glittering within their inky black as she watches, enraptured by the scene above. Amalia nearly wishes Jyoti was awake, that she could see the beautiful creation, the reflection of her family written in the sky. "I had never thought anything so incredible could exist. Are they yours?" A gift from Vi, perhaps, or a song of the goddess' own spun dreams.

She listens as the deity speaks of Jyoti's fall, looking back down at the peaceful whale who sleeps within her lap. "I don't know why she chose me," Amalia admits, shaking her golden head. "And I do not deserve her. But I will do my best take care of her, until she is strong enough to go home." That the starwhale should ever leave her is an aching terror in the girls' heart, the very prospect of her absence playing a strain of loneliness deeper than any she has previously felt. But the baker will not keep a star upon the ground, will not be the chain that shackles something so perfect to an imperfect world.

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Safrin

"If you want to think of them that way," Safrin replies with a gentle shrug. "But just because I have created something does not mean that I own it." She adds, a metallic spark in her voice perhaps hinting at other things on her mind, but quickly she smoothes it away.

With a gentle sigh, the goddess rolls onto her side, now suspended by nothing but air as she looks down at the girl and whale. "She will never again fly in the cosmos." Safrin says softly, her enigmatic gaze a wellspring of knowledge. "When they fall it is death of a certain kind. They lose the magic that once sustained their galactic flight. It is why they bond or die. Their hearts are fragile things. They were never meant to live alone, and so they find a soul to live beside for the rest of their days."
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
The glimmer of steel is not lost on the girl, who turns back to Safrin with concern in her eyes. She wishes she could know more, reach out and take the goddess' hand; she hopes that Safrin does not feel alone, but she knows, too, there is nothing she could offer, a meager mortal, a fading star.

In her lap Jyoti stirs, woken by her companion's concern, yawning widely and exhaling a plume of starlight into Amalia's face. Soothed, she returns her attention to the child, fingers tracing delicate figures down the caetean's back. "So she will never go home-" and the girl's heart aches, breaks for the life which has been lost. She is not adequate, not enough to replace the world Jyoti left behind, but she supposes she must try. It is all she can ever do.

"Will you help me? I don't know how to care for her..."

Change author:
Safrin

Glancing down fondly, Safrin merely smiles and shakes her head. "You do know what to do." She reminds the girl, perfect lips pulling back to reveal white teeth. "Your heart does, even if your mind does not." Gentle lines wrinkle the corner of her lips as she nods, eyes falling down to the starwhale.

Bits of starlight descend and cascade over Jyoti like some translucent blanket.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
Jyoti coos and trills beneath the starlight blanket, turning over to regard the goddess with a wide, glittering eye. Tilting her head back to the calf, she strokes soft fingers along her length, chewing gently on her lower lip, thinking about what Safrin has said. Does she know? "I'll do my best," is all she can say, not sure if the goddess's faith is well placed.

Turning her gaze back up to the cosmos, Amalia takes a breath. There is a question which has weighted on her, a query for the celestial being. "How have you been since the barrier fell? Did... did you reunite with Vi? And the other Old Ones? Are they... are they angry?" Will they ever reply to our prayers?

Change author:
Safrin

Safrin nods in silent and celestial agreement; she knows.

Had it just been the one question, Safrin might have answered. As Amalia continued however, for a moment Safrin braced as if slapped, her lashed slamming down and her teeth clicking silently together in her mouth.

Did... did you reunite with Vi?

"Yes. I have been with Vi." She answered with a dry reservation, features suddenly as smooth and impersonal as marble in the starlight. The others? Rae and Mort? "No. They are not angry." She replies, vaguely, truthfully.

They are not.

But he is.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
She catches the change in the goddess' tone, from warm and welcome to cold as ice. Amalia turns to face the being, concern and remorse in her eyes. Has she struck a nerve? Have they done wrong? Of course they have- and the girl sighs, fingers working anxiously against the whale in her lap. "I'm sorry." For the anger, for their mistakes, for pressing at what may be a wound with no mortal comprehension of the greater powers at work.

Jyoti rises from her lap, swimming up to Safrin's side. Singing softly, the whale tries to nuzzle the goddess, offering comfort to one who reminds her so keenly of her home. Alone on the ground, Amalia tucks her knees against her chest, wrapping her arms around them and grabbing at her toes. "Are you... are you alright?" Tentative, thoughtful, afraid to overstep but still deeply affectionate, respectful and kind. Safrin has treated her with nothing but kindness,which Amalia is desperate to repay.

Change author:
Safrin

Safrin can only shrug at the apology, for it is not Amalia's place to apologize and thus her words have no bearing. Safrin acted wrongly, this she had always known. She had simply hoped that Vi would have taken her motivations into account when setting her punishment. But the creases of disappointment in his stare, as scarred and rigid as any mountain crag was confirmation enough that her intentions, whatever they had been, did not matter.

The barrier had fallen.

There would be consequences.

Are you... are you alright? The goddess glances down. "It is sweet of you to ask." She muses with a gentle smile. "Though it is a very mortal thing to wonder about." Safrin continues with a gentle shrug, decidedly not answering the question.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
"Well, I am only mortal." A shy smile, mischievous but also a little insecure, as if she thinks the goddess may be put off by her familiarity, the candid burst of speech. And underneath, concern: because Safrin did not answer, carefully evaded, and because while the girl loves Vi, she has learned that he is strict.

And because she loves Safrin, too, feels a deep and brilliant fondness and respect for the goddess and all she represents. Safrin has given her countless things, blessed her with purpose and her other form. And in turn? Amalia has made mistakes, let the barrier crumble while she ran in fear.

"Safrin..." She hesitates, biting her lip, fingers tightening in her lap. "I know I am only mortal. And that I should have done more to keep the barrier from falling. But if there is anything I can do to help you now - if you would let me, if I am worthy - I would do it." She is earnest in her pledge, black eyes turned to the starlit being, her heart given freely to the stars. Jyoti sings a gentle song, trying to find her way into the goddess' lap, bold and giving with none of the trepidation that plages the girl's fragile soul.

Change author:
Safrin

With a glance towards Amalia, for a moment the goddess merely regards her expression, before breaking into a smile. "That you are. I suppose you are forgiven for your mortal thoughts, then." Safrin chuckled in agreement.

Straightening though, the goddess grows more solemn, tucking a strand of galactic-dark hair over her shoulder. Choosing to turn her attention to Jyoti instead, a river of light suddenly appears from Safrin's fingers traveling down to where the young starwhale hovers. The light seems to whisper a song that is felt but not heard, and sadly the goddess smiles. "What you ask would be to unshatter that which has been shattered. To rewind the days. The barrier has fallen, the consequences rendered."
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
Safrin remains evasive as ever, and Amalia cannot help the way she sinks, knowing that the goddess will not confide. Oh, her smile is infectious, her laughter a balm: but beneath it there is a distance between them, the girl's inadequacies laid bare to see.

If her evasion is an ember, the next phrase is a whip, burning on her gentle soul as any lacerating tongue. Amalia drops her tawny head, drawing her knees up to her chest. "That's what Frey said." That, and other things, less kind but still, in spirit, the same. "They said that I failed. That if I had paid more attention, had done more, maybe things would be different.." It is not vanity, not some misplaced idea that she, Amalia, possesses some great ability to thwart the rising tide. But perhaps if she had done more, perhaps if she had tried-

Sighing, she wraps her arms around her legs, letting her face fall to her knees. "I don't know what to do anymore. Was coming here the right thing? Was it wrong? Should I have died inside the Spire, to try and keep the Voice contained?"

Change author:
Safrin

"Frey." Safrin muses unhappily, her lips curling up slightly as she regards a floating bit of cosmos that has drifted into her field of view. "So Frey blamed you specifically for the fall of the barrier? As if the actions of any one person might have changed such a momentous ?event?" Gently the goddess shook her head. "No Amalia. It is not for you to carry that guilt. If you could have changed things, it would have been done without thought on your part; a small act or conversation months in the past that diverted this future. But in the days leading up to it, only something extravagant would have had any effect, and that was not an obligation that you bore."

Gently Safrin drifted downwards, her footsteps like soft whispers in the grass as she comes to sit at Amalia's side. Running her fingers gently down her spine in an effort to cause goosebumps to dance outwards like stars, she simply shakes her head. "I am glad that you did not die. There was too much death already."