Knock 3 times on the ceiling if you want me
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Age: 28 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
"What, no experimenting at all? Have you ever tried coaxing new sounds out of one, by being a touch rough?" Edy looked wistfully at her nails as if contemplating this idea for the very first time.

Wrinkling her nose again, Edy rolled her eyes. "If I ever make a curse, it's gonna be clean cut." She said with a snort. Someone at one point had the magic to make curses work, why not Edy? "Only mine will be something like, experience a terrible headache if you don't make your partner orgasm..

Noting the gryphlets wastefulness, Bobi immediately began to try and clean her up (read: steal the cream off of her face). Looking at the water, flame suddenly appeared around the kettle in a controlled blaze to speed up the process. "Just weird. It feels like it isn't what I'm built for, you know?" She replied with a shrug. "And yeah, I do. Much as I liked beating the shit out of assholes on a daily basis, I was actually doing something that mattered. Not saying pouring drinks for the local barflies isn't a revolutionary task or anything, but it certainly isn't as satisfying."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
"Oh, you get new sounds alright," he agreed with a chuckle. "They just aren't good ones. And it's quite a lot of work to fix the instrument after, if you ever want to use it again." What was the old saying? Something about 'if you break your toys they won't want to play with you anymore?' That held true for instruments more so than most!

He raised a brow in curiosity at what Edy's idea of a curse would be-- and had to exert every inch of his self-control not to burst out laughing. He did have to pause for a moment, tickling Isuma's head while he regained control of his breathing before he said, in a remarkably mild voice. "Well that is only basic courtesy, really. It sounds like you would use that power wisely and well, dear Blazing Baroness."

Isuma lacked an appropriately facile tongue or forepaws to clean her own face easily, and so she could only grumble, scrunching her feathery little face up as Bobi 'helped' clean her with gusto. Jigano chuckled at the sight, then blinked in surprise at the fire that suddenly appeared beneath the kettle. "Thank you, that's a handy use of that power," he murmured appreciatively, giving his friend a wry grin over his shoulder as the kettle began to bubble and sing much more quickly. Taking a thick cloth pad he lifted it and poured it into the waiting pot to saturate the tea leaves waiting within, and then brought the pot back to the table to steep while they talked.

"Hmmm. It almost sounds as if you need a change of scenery," he mused thoughtfully. "Or perhaps... what about the Monster Hunter's Guild? Don't they beat the 'shit out of monsters' and protect people? Not a daily basis, admittedly, but still..." He tilted his head to the side, an idea tickling the back of his thoughts. "Speaking of which... That compass you had, the magic one that's supposed to help find monsters or mythical creatures... think it could help track down that monster flinthopper that got away from us last time?"
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Age: 28 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"Maybe the way you do it." Edy countered with a cackle.

"That's what I thought!" The fire-mage agreed enthusiastically. "If you're going to be selfish, it's your own fault, really." She added with a decisive nod. "Glad to know we agree on that. I might have to call off this friendship otherwise." Edy concluded with an amused snort.

Mention of the guild only had Edy shrugging. "I dunno. Since Ronin has come back he's been different. All soft. And he's got that baby. When he was gone a bunch of people joined but honestly, not much gets done. All the dangerous critters seemed to have fucked off for the most part, and the ones in the Greatwood aren't exactly our problem."

Raising a brow, Edy nibbled her lip and shrugged. "We could try, I s'pose. But that's the difference between assholes on the streets and giant bugs. When someone steals, that shit deserves punishment. But a giant bug that is basically made to start fires?" Edy shrugged casually. "I mean, it isn't really at fault."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, and the same is true for instruments and notes," he shot back with a grin. "Treat them gently and they'll reward you with the sweetest of tones, sing and sigh beneath your touch, and always be waiting eagerly for the next verse. Treat them too rough and, well," he spread elegant hands in an eloquent shrug. "They'll never sing for you again." What could he say? Jigano was a very thorough musician by nature.

He chuckled and gave her a little half-bow as they agreed on her cursing abilities, but there were companions to laugh at and tea to steep and by the time he made it back to the table the conversation had moved on. He listened to Edy's explanation sympathetically, nodding in understanding. Having a family could change a man, and especially his priorities. And as long as the dangerous creatures in the Greatwood didn't cross the old barrier line, they really weren't the Guild's problem; Jigano doubted the Fae would appreciate anyone coming into their woods for such a purpose. They had proven more than capable of taking care of themselves if any creature proved to be a true threat to them.

"What if the thief lacks a conscience and sees nothing wrong with taking from others?" Jigano asked curiously. "Neither thief nor bug consider the consequences of their actions, yet both are causing harm to others by what they do. If neither understand right or wrong, why would you let one go on causing damage and destruction - even death - while not doing the same for the other?"
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
"All I'm hearing is that you want me to slather the leather with some honey before wailing on it. Which, you know," Edy shrugged thoughtfully, "-I'm totally down to try." With another wicked grin, Edy could only beam at the bard. "Ahh well. Different strokes and all that."

Listening but clearly speaking before whatever mental resources she might have dedicated to the question had time to appropriately fire, Edy just rolled her eyes. "Then the thief is a fucktard. Being stupid doesn't get you off the hook." She replied easily. "Besides, it's in the bugs nature as a species. You don't get to just declare yourself a thief by nature to justify your crimes. By and large we're all meant to get along, yeah? Whereas from what I've seen, those bugs just...you know..." Fire bloomed from Edy's fingertips then to emphasize her point.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"That would... certainly produce some different sounds," Jigano agreed after a long and slightly horrified pause, imagining Edrei plopping some sticky honey down on a drumhead and slapping at it. For a moment their innuendo fell away under the image of the literal words that were being used, and it was a sight to freeze even the most amateur bard's heart.

"Yes, different strokes," he agreed faintly, shaking his head to clear the unfortunate image and focus on making their tea. He finally poured the cups - the scents of cinnamon and apples rose on the steam - and offered one to Edy to doctor to her liking with the cream and sugar. He took a little dollop of honey in his, stirring it as he considered her answer with a grin at the name-calling. "There's an interesting word... 'meant' to, I mean. What if the bugs were created as... essentially as living weapons, for the purpose of creating fire and chaos?" he asked, enjoying the game of hypotheticals, though his thoughts danced over the book of Hollowed Grounds fauna that Safrin had given to Amalia, and the flinthopper's entry in it.
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
Sniffing with feigned delicacy at the offered drink, Edy decided to let it cool a moment. Shifting the cup back and forth between her fingers (remaining still was not something she did well), Edy pondered the bard's words with perhaps an ounce more care than before.

"All the more power to them, I guess." Edy said with a shrug. "But what they don't seem to have are brains big enough to think. They just act. And you can't really fault them for that, created that way or not, now can you?" Shrugging again, Edy blew on her tea. "I heard a rumour the Voice created them. Y'think that's true?"
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"An interesting line of thought for a Monster Hunter," he teased, grinning, pleased at Edy's display of thoughtful reasoning, beyond her usual facade (well, not entirely facade) of red-hot innuendo and casual taste for fiery destruction, all in the name of a good time. "And I've read a similar hypothesis. Though it seems strange... fire and electricity were highly effective against the Spire Monster, and that creature seemed to be distantly related to the Ascended. I would expect her to avoid fire-related things that might hurt her other creations... unless she was testing them." He paused, grimacing slightly as a thought struck him. "Though... the Settlement is largely stone, so people living in town would have been safe. Ascended don't need to eat, and the rest of us do. It could have been a bid to reduce harvests and food resources, starve non-Ascended and send those humans capable of being changed to pray at her shrine for relief from their hunger. Reduce the amount of mages and Attuned while increasing the number of Ascended to worship her and do her bidding." He shrugged lightly. "Or maybe she was just bored? We'd have to ask her, but I don't think she likes me very much," he confided to his friend with a wry grin. "I don't think I'm her type."

He blew on his tea, taking a small sip as he pondered. "Have you ever met the Voice?" he asked, curious. "What do you think of her?"
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
"You asked." The not-teenager replied easily, as if her slightly-thoughtful commentary was something that deserved some amount of justification. "Related?" Edy repeated, running her tongue across her teeth with a hrrmph sound. She hadn't heard that, but then again Edy had really only thought about killing the thing, not working out its lineage.

Listening to the bard ponder his notions out loud made the Launceleyn wince slightly. "Sounds like where I grew up." She said, exhale a mirthless laugh. "Strongest survive, pushing boundaries and all that." Raising a brow and letting her grin grow feral, Edy shook her head. "Not like you? Impossible!" She cackled happily.

"Mmhmm. Zariah went to go see her." what are timelines "She seemed...I dunno really. I've met my fair share of rulers in my time, but she doesn't really strike me as one. I think she downplays how powerful she is though, that's for sure."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"It seems likely," Jigano shrugged. A conversation with a dead person, seasons ago in the cold, under the moonlight as they watched the Spire and spoke of many, many things... a creature of the night, crazed from the sun, defending a monument to a goddess that sought freedom as fiercely as any outlander being one of those things.

"Strength has its uses," Jigano agreed, "but it isn't everything. Then again, as a bard, I'm a bit biased towards the gentler arts," he teased with a grin. Her cackling support of his abrasive sparkling personality had him beaming, preening as proudly as Isuma ever did behind his sly smile. "Right? It only proves that she really is a god, though. What mortal could resist this charm?" Okay, well, lots, as it turned out, but there was no need to dwell on that at the moment!

"Yes... I would agree," he mused thoughtfully. "I've met her... well, seen her in action twice, and heard other accounts. She's powerful enough that all the Old Gods put together couldn't kill her or strip her power from her, so that's already an indication of how formidable she is. Not being a ruler though..." He hummed, sipping at his tea as it cooled to a more drinkable temperature before speaking again, testing his thoughts. "Perhaps... she doesn't really want to rule? From what Safrin described of the old conflict, I got the sense that the Voice and her fellows were more seeking power for power's sake, than to necessarily rule over others with it." He hesitated, then shrugged. "Then again, the Old Gods and their heralds don't really rule anyone, either, not even the Attuned they create. 'Ruling' might be more of a mortal concern than a godly one. Her Ascended children might more of a means to an end - tools, rather than subjects - rather than a people to lead." He raised a brow, quirking a wry grin at his younger friend. "Hypothetically, and worst-case-scenario, at least."
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
Too hot on the heels of an already salaciously charged conversation of double-speak, Edy decided to let the quip about the softer arts go. Not without flashing a menacing grin at him first, though. "Well, none that I've met so far." Edy chimed in response, with cheeky sweetness lacing her tone.

"Power for power's sake?" Edy shook her head with confidence. "Nah. Only the most golden of souls or whatever the fuck you want to call them, do that. Anyone else absolutely gets corrupted by it. Ain't no way to show how much power you have, other than to exercise it over someone else." Listening to the rest of what he had to say, Edy took a hesitant sip of the tea, immediately decided the alcohol content was miserably low (yes Edy, because that's what tea is), and set it down.

"I dunno. Tools, subjects, means to an end...it all sounds like it ends with a fucking army and someone getting kicked out of power." The not-teenager concluded with a shrug. "Now that she's out, seems like the gods haven't done shit about it. So either they over reacted which is sort of terrifying, or they know they're fucked. Which..you know, also terrifying."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"And this is why you're my favorite bartender," Jigano preened happily, tipping said bartender a wink in spite of her dangerous grin. "You only hang out with the most quality people." Himself included, of course!

"Oh, I agree," he reassured his friend, smile faded at the turn the conversation had taken. "At least, that mortals can't usually obtain that much power without getting corrupted by it. Exercising over others, though... you make a good point. I suppose the question is how she views those who remain mortal. As subjects to be ruled... or as insects or animals to be used and tossed aside when their usefulness is done. It might be that she would rather rule over her peers in the godly realm." A game of 'what if' to pass the time, thank goodness, and nothing more, though that didn't mean it wouldn't come back to bite them all later.

"Welcome to dealing with gods," he said, dry amusement laced with a hint of sincere concern. "Generally terrifying, especially when you don't know whether they might be in a smiting mood that day or not. Though we can hope they're merely operating on a different timescale than us mere mortals. For us, she's been out for a season. For them, maybe it's not even been the blink of an eye. Who knows how time passes for immortals that are thousands or more years old?"
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
"Pffff, don't tell my patrons that, or they'll be expecting decent service." She quipped back with a fiery grin.

Peering into the mindset of a god was not something Edy normally gave many mental resources too. She'd been born and bred in captivity, raised by pain and punishment. Her people might well have triumphed over someone like the Voice, but it wasn't in Edy's nature to question the leadership she ruled under. "Could be. Doubt we'll ever get the real story though. Everyone seems far too bitter about the whole barrier-war thing to give up the actual details."

The notion of time passing differently was certainly not one the fire-mage had ever considered before. Tapping her chin and pursing her lips thoughtfully, Edy silently weighed the different aspects of this with a tumultuous tilting of her head. "I guess that either makes it really clever, or pretty fucking stupid that so many work so hard to get their attention then."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He grinned at he quip, laughter in his eyes over his tea as he enjoyed both the drink and the company. The talk of gods was more sobering - all the more pity that they didn't have any alcohol to doctor their tea with - and he nodded again at her summation of the past. "From what Safrin told us, I'm disinclined to trust the Voice," he admitted. "Although, admittedly, her dismissal of me the last two times I saw her doesn't play particularly with my ego, either." He gave little shrug of self-deprecation as he acknowledged his own personal bias in the matter. Being underestimated was theoretically good and tactically sound... but if he had wanted to be overlooked completely he would hardly have become a bard! "But I'm also positive that she didn't tell us the whole story, and the old gods pretty clearly have a bias against the Voice. It makes sense that they'd spin the tale to make themselves look better, and her look like a monster, even if Safrin didn't actually lie about anything." He knew a thing or two about spinning truth, after all.

He chuckled at her mention of prayers, tilting his head with a bemused grin. "It still is hard for me to wrap my head around your world not having gods," he admitted. "Not being used to their aloofness or rather... concerns on a larger scale. I haven't spoken to anyone who's met the three Older Gods since the barrier fell, whereas their heralds, the younger old gods, seem to act more in tune with mortal prayers, at least directly." He offered a wry smile, spreading the fingers of his left hand in a gesture as if releasing something to the wind. "Praying to them? Seems more likely to receive an answer, though there's no guarantee you'll like the answer. Praying to the Old Gods and expecting an answer? Well... that might be a sign of either true faith, or true desperation. Maybe both."