[SE][OPEN] Never Learned to Swim
Beatrix Launceleyn

Age: 25 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Vee Offline
Change author:
MP: 655
BEATRIX
There is always someone cooler than you
And that someone is me
Okay! She had learned about the stuff the fairies did in LongHeat. She made a basket. She sang Safrin a song. Now she had to actually catch the sun! Beatrix had heard that the Oasis was pretty and sunny so she decided that was the place to be! Of course, Beatrix didn't really connect that the Oasis would have water - which was a problem. Why? Well you see, no one had ever taught her to swim.

So when she arrived and saw the sunniest spot was in the middle of the pond she got very nervous. But she had come all this way! And there was a tree she could climb and maybe reach it? Maybe. Big maybe. Beatrix was a good climber and easily made it up to the branch, basket on her head. Then she scootched her way down it, going as far as she dared before taking her basket off her head and stretching to try and reach the sun.

She was so close! If she could just get a little closer...
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 87
Peter
Terrified of what I'd be
As a kid, from what I've seen
Every single day, when people try
And put the pieces back together
Just to smash them down

The woods and wilds the framed the edges of the hollowed grounds were as much a sanctuary to Peter as they were curiosity. He still found new things, like the pool of water he had stumbled upon this time. He stared over it, considering soaking for a bit to alleviate the heat that had wrapped him in its oppressive grip, helped in no small part by his plethora of scarves and long clothes.

Before he could decide one way or the other, a rustling from above caught his attention. Peters eyes flicked up before the rest of his head did, trying to get a glimpse of whatever it was before he reversed that he had heard it, but what he saw was neither a danger nor what he’d been expecting. A child, stretched out over the pool of water with a basket in hand. Peters sense of danger was a little bit skewed, but even he knew this wasn’t good.

”Hey, h-hello?” He called, hating the crack in his voice and the volume of it, but hopefully succeeding in his goal of not scaring her right off the branch. ”What are you doing? Do you need help?”

Beatrix Launceleyn

Age: 25 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
BEATRIX
And that someone is me
There! She reached just far enough to get the sun in her basket. A big grin spread across her face as she watched the patch of sunlight stream into it, a self-satisfied giggle bubbling up. The fairies would be so happy, she thought! But this was an awfully difficult position to hold for a girl her age, and suddenly she realized she didn't know how long she was supposed to sit there catching the sun. Beatrix blinked, wondering if she had caught enough or not.

But then a voice rang out and she looked back. Who was that yelling at her. That was the fatal move though. In turning to see who it was, she threw herself off balance and tipped dangerously to one side. She shrieked in alarm, her voice echoing in the Oasis as she scrambled to keep on the branch and hang onto her basket. Arms and legs flailed but ultimately slipped and fell right into the water. The cool of the water was shocking in comparison to the warm of the day. Immediately she flailed her limbs, her basket having been dropped and now floating on the surface, as she tried to get her head above water. Panic - pure panic - coursed through her veins as she managed to break through the surface, gasping for air and sending droplets of water splashing around her.
Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Peter
Terrified of what I'd be
Just to smash them down

Peter stared in horror as the girl, the child, turned to look at him, and toppled into the water. Without thinking, he ran forward, stripping off the bulk of his clothing and kicking off his boots. Though admittedly, that decision was fueled more by a desire to keep his things dry rather than any sense.

The second his feet touched water, Peter hesitated. Growing up in a desert had not given him many opportunities to learn to swim, and the oasis was deeper and faster than any water he’d seen before. But... he had to do something. He stepped back, conjuring a rope in his hands, and wrapped it around a stump, quick fingers tying a strong knot score he ran back into the water.

It was cold, and more work than he expected, but somehow Peter made it to the centre, his head barely above the water. The rope was tat, wrapped around his arm and held tightly in his hand. Now all he could do is hope he could grab Beatrix.

Beatrix Launceleyn

Change author:
BEATRIX
And that someone is me
Her mother had always taught her not to fear death. Death was release, escape, rest after years of struggle, hardship, and duty. But now that the young girl was fact to face with it, impending, desperate to take her short life from her, it did not seem so easy to accept. So Beatrix did the only thing she knew to do – she fought, limbs flailing wildly, desperate to keep herself afloat, breath coming in short gasps. The man who had called out to her was all but forgotten in those moments.

But then she was grabbed from behind, her shirt tugged by the man’s hand. Stranger danger was written all over this but she figured she was better off fighting a strange man than drowning. She reached back, desperate to grab onto her savior, little fingers gaining purchase on the rope.
Peter Pikely

Change author:
Peter
Terrified of what I'd be
Just to smash them down

Struggling his way through the water had been hard enough alone, but now, with a desperate, flailing child grasping onto him, it seemed nearly impossible. He was simply thankful he’d had the foresight to make the rope. Pulling them both to shore was still a struggle, but when all he had to do was keep an arm around the girl, and his legs kicking to keep their heads above water, and pull on the rope.

The shore came up suddenly, Peters knees suddenly scraping on rocks, but he had never been so glad for the sting of an injury before. Making sure Beatrix had her feet under her, he let go of her and crawled onto dry land, kneeling as he tried desperately to catch his breath. A gentle wind blew by, one that would normally be soothing in the day’s heat, but now  chilling him to the bone, giving him a reason to actually get up and move.

Peter turned towards Beatrix once he was on his feet, a shaking hand coming out to grab her shoulder so he could look at her. ”Are you... are you alright?” He didn’t know what he could do if she wasn’t, but it seemed like the right thing to ask.

Beatrix Launceleyn

Change author:
BEATRIX
And that someone is me
When the rocky shore came up to meet her legs and feet, Beatrix felt a wave of relief wash through her. With what physical strength she had left she rushed forward and collapsed on the grass, gasping for air, eyes squinted closed against the sun. A breeze left her chilled and she shivered but at least she was alive. Briefly she lifted her head and saw her basket still floating in the water, rays of sun streaming down into it.

Well. At least she was definitely catching the sun still.

She let her head fall back against the grass again, her breath finally starting to steady. Really, she felt like crying, but her mother didn’t like it when she did that. So she held them at bay, only looking towards the man when he touched her shoulder. ”Yeah, I’m okay. Thanks for getting me.” she said.
Peter Pikely

Change author:
Peter
Terrified of what I'd be
Just to smash them down

Peter let out a deep breath when she said was okay, some of the guilt lifting out of his chest as he did. She didn’t exactly look okay, but he knew better than to pry. At least she was well enough to lie, and that was enough for him. He shook his head at the Thanks though, refusing to accept it. ”It’s my f-f-fault you... you fell.” The chill exacerbated his stutter, making him frown almost comically, and turn to search for the dry things he’d stripped off before entering the water.

The bundle of fabric had stayed where he’d thrown it, scarves tangled together in a heap. Noticing Beatrix’s shiver, he disentangled one for her, trying to make it seem as though he wasn’t just deliberately picking his least favourite. The swath of fabric would do something to keep the chill away, if nothing else.

Pulling on the door t clothes over wet ones, Peter frowned, considering that there was perhaps a better way to go about that, though he didn’t move to change anything. Instead he sat beside Beatrix, and stared out at the basket, floating delicately on the waters surface. ”What were... what you were you um... doing?”

Beatrix Launceleyn

Change author:
BEATRIX
And that someone is me
Beatrix’s nose wrinkled as he tried to take the blame for her fall. ”No, I fell cause I lost my balance.” she said with a ‘duh’ sort of tone to her voice. Clearly despite being breathless and soaked to the bone and cold her sass was as strong as ever. At length she sat up, wringing out the ends of her hair with a short sigh. Great. Now she was wet. She hated that.

She gave a quiet thanks as she took the scarf from him, wrapping it around her shoulders, looking out at the water while she shivered. ”I was catching the sun in my basket for the fairies.” she said grumpily, watching as it floated through the sunny patches on the water. ”But now it is all the way out there.” she said with a dramatic sigh. ”How are the fairies gonna know I caught the sun for them if I don’t have my basket?”
Peter Pikely

Change author:
Peter
Terrified of what I'd be
Just to smash them down

Peter fell silent, any other excuses he had been going to offer for Beatrix dying on his lips. He hadn’t been expecting the tone, and was even less sure about ho to deal with it. in the end he simply nodded, worrying his bottom lip between his teeth, and looked away from her.

Peter followed her gaze out towards the water, staring at the distant basket as it bobbed in the water, and she explained what she had been doing. His head turned slightly as he followed the direction of the water, then even further as he looked down at Beatrix again.

”It’s getting lots of... lots of sun right now.” He pointed out, his tone making it clear he was going to continue. ”It can keep getting, or... catching all the sun, and then the water will make it move to edge when it’s done.” Peter literally pointed this time, his finger tracing in the direction of the current. ”You’ll get the basket back, just.. you gotta be patient.” There was no way for Peter to know if his words would go over well, but he could hope.

Beatrix Launceleyn

Change author:
BEATRIX
And that someone is me
Beatrix blinked at him, a bit surprised he had nothing to say. People always had something to say when she got short like that. Usually to tell her to mind her manners (except for the super fun guy Ronin who helped her make her basket). But he said nothing. What was his deal?

Her eyes looked over towards the bank that he pointed to, seeing how the water was moving in that direction. Hmmm. Being patient wasn’t something she was very good at butttttt. ”Well alright then.” she said with a dramatic sigh, marching towards the bank where the basket would end up and expecting the man to follow. ”What’s your name anyways?”
Peter Pikely

Change author:
Peter
Terrified of what I'd be
Just to smash them down

Peter stared back at Beatrix, his brows knit together in the face of her look. He wasn’t sure what he’d done that had been weird, but he was more than familiar with the expression on her face. Maybe he was supposed to have argued somehow? Confrontation was something Peter tried to avoid at all costs though, even with children it seemed.

Beatrix seemed to accept what he said, despite her obvious displeasure at the prospect of waiting. Peter was on his feet and after her as soon as she moved, his continued accompaniments unspoken promise. It was really the least he could do, Peter felt responsible for her falling, whether Beatrix thought so or not.

”I’m Peter.” He said softly, before suddenly remembering his new name,and introducing himself again,properly. ”Peter Launcelyn.” It was still strange to say, still felt like a name he needed to earn, but it was all he had for the moment. ”What’s yours?”

Beatrix Launceleyn

Change author:
BEATRIX
And that someone is me
I'm Peter. Peter Launceleyn.

Beatrix stopped in her tracks and whirled around, looking up at Peter with a scrunched nose. For a moment she just glared at him, as if unsure what she wanted to do or say. But it wouldn't take her too long to decide. "No you're not." she said, sass dripping off every syllable. "I'm a Launceleyn and I've never seen you before." she said, putting her hands on her hips, still mean mugging Peter into last season.

"My name is Beatrix and my mom is the head of the Launceleyn family and she is gonna be real mad when she hears some random guy is calling himself a Launceleyn." she said in a threatening tone.
Peter Pikely

Change author:
Peter
Terrified of what I'd be
Just to smash them down

Peter brows furrowed, first in surprise at the sudden stop, then in confusion at the withering glare and venomous tone. Confrontation was not his strong suit, even with children, but this was something worth fighting over, even if the only words that came to his were: ”Y-yes I am.”

Before he could get another word in, Beatrix was barrelling along, talking her mother and making things click for Peter. ”Your... your mother, she’s um... she’s Zariah?” Her name was said with a whispered reverence, obvious even with his already soft tone. All at once Peter dropped into a crouch, keeping himself just lower than Beatrix’s eye level, an easy feat given their relative heights. ”She... I joi-... was recruited? She said... like a family. For loyalty.” He nodded, like that would make his barely explanation make more sense, seem more legitimate, and hoped the girl would believe him.