[SE][OPEN] Painting Stars
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 24 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
ROANA
I can hardly wait
to see you come of age.
It was past their bedtime which meant the boys were near giddy with excitement. It also meant Roana was exhausted but sometimes it was just easier to go along with the boy's demands. They wanted to paint pictures of stars so Safrin wouldn't bring the night back too soon because if she had pictures of the stars she couldn't miss them. Aunt Phoebe promised to take them to give them to her sometime but they needed to see the stars to paint them right of course.

So here they were, at the temple with their painting supplies. Roana had gotten them from the Artist Guild, and smartly laid a large piece of canvas on the ground so they wouldn't paint the floor accidentally and had them dressed in potato sacks so they wouldn't get paint on themselves. Well, not on their clothes anyways.

Did they look ridiculous? Probably. Did she care? Absolutely not. If it got her boys to stop obsessing over this catching the sun stuff she would be pleased as punch.
But I guess we'll have to be patient,
'cause it's a long way to go.
CORMAC RHETT & JAX
Table base and considerable assistance from Sky!
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061

"I was going to find something funny to say about this, but I'll be honest - I can't do it. It's too cute." Ronin sounded infinitely amused, his voice echoing softly through the temple. He had come to sit and think, as he often did these days. He thought about Vanya a lot, and about Loren and wherever he might be these days. He thought about Northaven and the good they had tried to do. But more often than not, he went full circle and returned to Vanya all over again.

It was why Aoife was with him tonight, the baby snuggled against his chest with her head tucked under his chin, her thumb firmly in her mouth. "What are you up to?" Ronin asked, stepping closer and arching an eyebrow as he gazed down at what the boys were doing. "Painting in potato sacks, huh? That's the life." He chuckled, arching an eyebrow and gazing at Roana for an explanation.

RONIN
Darkness is a funny thing. It creeps up on you.
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
ROANA
I can hardly wait
to see you come of age.
Roana looked up, already smirking out the sound of the familiar voice. ”Oh, I’m certain you could still find something funny to say about it if you tried hard enough.” she said with a light laugh, looking down at her horde of boys. Rhett was getting dangerously close to painting a black streak in Jax’s blonde hair and Ro was quick to action, snatching the brush from his hand. She gave him a stern glare and the boy muttered a half-hearted apology, still snickering at the mess he had almost made.

”We are…!” Jax started loudly, but quickly found his mother’s hand pressed against his mouth to shush him. ”Inside voices boys, or you’ll wake the baby. Then you’ll have to answer to Mr. Ronin and momma won’t protect you.” she warned, which somehow straightened the boys right up. Less so that they thought this Mr. Ronin fellow was scary, more that their momma would let him get away with whatever. ”We are paintin’ pictures of stars for Safrin.” Jax whispered and Cormac nodded sagely. ”Because if she has pictures of stars to look at then she won’t miss them so much during the long days and bring the night back.” Rhett said.

”There ya have it.” Roana said with a small smile. ”What brings you out this way so late?”
CORMAC RHETT & JAX
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

"Oh, I am very sure I could. But it would be wrong of me, I think - I've probably done more absurd things than what is happening right now." Ronin grinned, moving to sit in one of the seats close to where the boys were painting. He had to stifle his laughter at the pantomime that occurred between Roana and her sons, rocking Aoife absently and smiling to his fellow former captain. "Don't worry too much," he assured her. "If she wakes up, I'm sure she'll enjoy herself."

He relaxed into his seat, blue eyes flickering over the paintings that were starting to come together. "Ah, yes. So I've heard," he said with a nod to Jax. "I'm sure she will love them. Make sure to include shooting stars!"

Smiling crookedly, he turned back to Roana. "Ah, I just... well, since I came back, I like to come out here to think. It clears my mind."

RONIN
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
I can hardly wait
to see you come of age.
Roana grinned at Ronin and nodded. ”Parenting little ones is basically entertaining one absurd thing after another I have learned.” she said with a light laugh. Oh the antics these children could get into, the levels of ridiculous that their minds could reach – it was hard to imagine that she had been just the same as a girl sometimes. At least he didn’t seem too worried about the rambunctious boys possibly waking Aoife. ”Inside voices are still a work in progress.” she admitted.

As he looked, he might notice one painting seemed much different than the others. Cormac and Jax had pitch black backgrounds with dots of white, yellow, and blue scattered about. But Rhett’s looked almost…fuzzy. He didn’t have so much as dots as he did smudges on his page, all bleeding together. At Ronin’s suggestion, the three boys set to work, trying to replicate a shooting star in their masterpieces.

”It’s a good place to think.” Roana said with a small smile. She had no doubt he had much to mull over too. ”What’s on your mind this evening, if you don’t mind sharing?”
CORMAC RHETT & JAX
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

"In fairness, in a place as boisterous as this, who needs inside voices really?" Besides himself and Vervain, he didn't know of many wandering around with very young children anyway. The trio of boys had little chance of disturbing too much peace. Arching an eyebrow at the one painting that seemed slightly different to the others, Ronin tilted his head to Rhett. "Is that how you see the stars?" he asked the boy, before glancing back at Roana. His cheeks flushed a little at her question, and he shrugged.

"Vanya," he said simply. "We had lifetimes together up there, in the stars. You wouldn't think I'd have any right to miss her after that, but here we are." Gently, he pressed a kiss to Aoife's mop of curls. His voice, combined with that of relative strangers, had the girl stirring a bit, blinking open eyes as starlit as the paintings that covered the temple floor.

RONIN
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
I can hardly wait
to see you come of age.
”Don’t encourage them now.” Roana said with a light laugh. She loved her wild and crazy little monsters, but they did still need to learn some manners. Rhett looked up at Ronin, briefly squinting his eyes then looking back down at his painting. ”Yeah. They don’t look like that?” Rhett asked Ronin, pronouncing each word with much more clarity than his brothers could. The smartest of the three, Rhett looked up at the sky, squinting to make sure he saw the stars right.

Roana smiled sadly at Ronin as he admitted what was on his mind, and she nodded knowingly. ”You’ve every right.” she said gently, glancing up at the stars. For a moment she was silent, contemplative. ”I still miss Brahm. It’s…pretty clear he won’t ever appear here, or if he did he died before he could find us.” For a moment her eyes went misty, despite the small smile on her lips. But when she blinked and looked at Ronin again, her emotions were pulled back into check. ”Not knowing is the hardest part. When you miss her most, be thankful for that much. It well help, even the smallest bit.” she said quietly.
CORMAC RHETT & JAX
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

"But if I don't encourage them, who will?" Ronin grinned, bouncing Aoife gently in his arms as she cooed at him, blinking about at the gathered people and offering Roana a wide smile (for all that she loved Remi and Ronin, she didn't often get to see women, and so she adored their attention). Rhett's response was unexpected, Ronin smirking down at the boy and shifting from his seat so he could sit with them and watch them paint.

Undoubtedly Aoife would wake up enough soon to want to join in, and he was prepared for that chaos when it arrived. "No, that's just what they look like." He winked at the boy, before glancing up at Roana and smiling sadly. It was hard not to miss the sadness that fell over her, and it was one he knew all too intimately indeed.

"I'm sorry, Ro," he murmured. "Perhaps you could petition the gods, at a shrine? See if they can find out?"

RONIN
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
I can hardly wait
to see you come of age.
”Oh you’re gonna be that guy, huh?” Roana teased with a grin. If boxes of sugar addressed to her boys showed up on her door, she would know exactly who they came from. Roana returned Aoife’s grin and waved at her a little before gently running her hand over her soft baby hair.

Rhett grinned and set back to work, painting his blurry stars. Roana sighed and shook her head, looking over them. ”He probably needs glasses, but beats me where to get those around here.” Back home, it wouldn’t have been too difficult for her to get ahold of. But here? Glasses seemed a real luxury, and she had yet to see a glasses maker around. Rhett would just have to continue to live in his slightly blurry world for the time being.

The she might petition the gods to ask about Brahm made her nod. ”I suppose I could. Ludo is the one I would ask to speak with, correct?” she said with an appreciative smile. ”Regardless, if it’s ever something you just need to chat about, get off your chest, let me know. I sort of know how you feel anyways.” she offered with a kind smile.
CORMAC RHETT & JAX
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

"Oh, I'm gonna be that guy." Ronin laughed to her, watching as Aoife cooed and drank up the attention from Roana. His smile faded somewhat as she confirmed his initial thoughts; that the boy might need glasses. "I bet Remi would be able to make some," he said. "It might be worth dropping by to see him one day, or inviting him over. He can create... well, most things these days."

He nodded at her assumption, pressing a kiss to the top of Aoife's head and smirking as she tried to lean over to grab a paintbrush already dipped in bright yellow. "Ludo, yeah. But... be careful, Roana. I've heard a lot of things about that god." Not that he needed to tell her to be careful. "And I will, I promise. The same goes for you, okay? I only have one sprog to deal with, I don't know how I'd cope with three."

RONIN
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
I can hardly wait
to see you come of age.
Roana laughed, a mischievous grin curving her lips. "Just remember, two can play at that game." she said. And she had a bit of a leg up, having already gone through all the parenting experiences Ronin had yet to encounter with Aoife. Though she probably wouldn't be as creative as Ronin either. Perhaps best to not start that war.

As Aoife reached for a paintbrush, Cormac noticed, coming over and helping her get it. Then the boy held up a piece of paper for her. He was this quietest, most stoic of the three boys, but that didn't mean he lacked kindness, and momma always said they had to be especially nice to girls. Roana smiled at him approvingly. "I will definitely pay him a visit. If he can make glasses I will owe him big time...because they probably won't last long before he has to fix them." she said with a light laugh. Her boys had a real rambunctious streak. Remi could probably live solely off of fixing glasses for Rhett.

"Like what?" Roana asked him when he warned about Ludo. "I'll stay on my toes. The gods of death have yet to catch me though, remember?" she said, less referencing Mort and Ludo, and more the personified concept of death that was more familiar from their homeland. The number of times she had escaped its clutches was uncanny - catlike almost with more than nine lives.

She smiled and shrugged a bit. "You'd be a lot more stern. You have to be. But I am lucky. My boys are good for the most part and pretty self policing." she said.
CORMAC RHETT & JAX
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

Ronin was more than happy to play at any game Roana wanted - heck, it was nice just to be in a position where he could joke around with people again. Prior to his death he'd brought a lot of the weight on his shoulders from Northaven with him to Caido, but now... well, despite everything, despite the sorrow of losing Vanya... Ronin felt properly alive again. He grinned at Aoife and nodded encouragingly to her as Cormac held up the paper. Guiding her little hand, he dabbed a few yellow stars on the paper, nodding gratefully to the boy. "There," he said. "I'm sure Safrin will love all of this."

Looking back around at Roana (and tactfully removing the paintbrush that Aoife had been trying to stick in her mouth), Ronin smiled to his fellow former captain. "I'll let him know that you mean to come by," he said. "As for Ludo... I can't say, truly. I haven't been all that close to it. But I hear it prefers toys and games and sweet things. Beware of its tricks, though - it can take a multitude of appearances. Remi has almost fallen foul of it a few times."

RONIN
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
I can hardly wait
to see you come of age.
Cormac smiled a bit with Ronin's approval. Like with Aoife and women, the boys didn't have a lot of older male figures in their lives. So Ronin's, as little as it was, made his little chest swell with pride. "Aye-fee can keep this one to give to Safrin." Cormac said, setting it down by Ronin's side.

Roana nodded at Ronin's description of the god. So they liked to play tricks did they? Best to leave the boys home then. "A god likes toys?" Cormac said, being the only one of the brothers paying attention to the grown up conversation. "I have toys."
CORMAC RHETT & JAX
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:

Ronin grinned to Cormac and bounced Aoife in his arms. "Hear that? You get your own painting for Safrin. You'll be running rings around me in no time!" He cuddled her close, the baby kicking her little legs and turning her attention to gumming all over her father's shoulder. Humming in agreement, Ronin nodded at Cormac. "You would give your toys to a god? That's a very noble thing to do." He smiled, before carefully rising to his feet with painting and Aoife in hand.

"Thanks for letting me sit with you, and talk," he murmured to Roana. "This has been better than thinking. And I hope you get what you need, from Ludo."

RONIN