like scar said, be prepared
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Amalia is in trouble and Wessex couldn’t join the group that set out to help her. Pitfalls of being a weak slug during the day, even though she could feel herself ever so steadily growing stronger. It just wasn’t strong enough to combat the sun. Not yet.

Armed with the map to the Greatwood, safely rolled up and tucked tightly away between her body and some leather, Wessex is about to head into the forest when something tells her she ought to seek guidance first. Just in case. If anyone were watching her, they would see her route suddenly change as she veers off from her beeline towards the trees, now heading towards the closest shrine - in The Underground. Darting through the tunnels, the thought of the last time she was here, leading Aedion through the maze, brings a quick spark of anger and sadness to her mind, but she pushes it away.

The Ascended energetically bounds into the circular room, taking her customary kneeling position before the statue of the little girl. “Lady, forgive me for the delay on the reading materials. I am working on getting them. Please - a friend of mine is lost in the Greatwood. Potentially in danger. I have a shifting map to navigate with, but any other advice or information would be most appreciated.” She pauses, running a brief systems analysis of herself. "Replenishing my energy would be most helpful, too."

Her gaze flickers up, hoping to see the familiar blue-tinged projection of her maker. She is the only one Wessex humbles herself before.

WESSEX
come, you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts
unsex me here

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Other
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
the Voice
"Perfection takes time, bright one. Worry not about the delay."

She appeared at once before the statue of the young girl, a beatific smile upon her face. There was something brighter about the Voice these days, though rightly so she had decided to keep a low profile since the fall of the Spire. But that did not mean there were not plans worth pursuing. Holding out her hands to expose her wrists, she wordlessly invited Wessex to replenish herself.

At the mention of the map - the shifting map of the Greatwood - her static eyes become very, very interested. "Indeed," she murmured. "Might I see it?"
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

If Wessex is being honest, she much prefers the Voice’s projection to the shell on top of the Spire, the case of flesh that once held her. The blonde woman has killed a lot of things in her lifetime, dressed meat, been drenched in blood and is well aware of how bodily functions can go terribly wrong. But that thing in the top, it was borderline revolting. Wessex is as loyal as the come, there’s no swaying her mind when it comes to her maker, but for fucks sake, she should be allowed a preference on the form She takes.

With a smile and a nod, she drinks until she needs no more and then gratefully withdraws from the offered wrist. It is an oddly casual, yet intimate thing, the drinking. Perhaps it is what makes the link between Her and the Ascended so powerful. Their devotion to Her is… quite intense sometimes.  

“Of course.” She pulls the map from its storage place, unfurls it, and hands it over. “I got it off an Outlander who seems to have taken up with the Fae. Or facilitates trade? I’m not quite sure. Once Lucas and I discovered the trees in the Greatwood were moving, it seemed like a necessity if we’re ever going to be able to find our way through.” And the best part is that no one else has it.

See, Mother? She’s clever and playing nice with her other siblings.

WESSEX
unsex me here

Change author:
the Voice
"My, my..." The map would lift from Wessex's hand to hover before the Voice, unfurling to reveal the slowly shifting lines and borders of the Greatwood. The goddess did not say anything directly, but Wessex would feel the pride from her maker crackling up in her very bones, and as the map lowered once more, curling up and hovering near the Ascended for her to take, the Voice is positively beaming.

"That is quite a wonderful thing you have in your possession, bright one. I have a task for you, if you believe you are ready. Between you - you, your brothers and your sisters - I would have you explore this vast forest. Every location on this map must be seen with an Ascended's eyes. Will you make this so for me?"
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

The Voice’s pride feels her with a warmth she doesn’t usually feel. A small, satisfied smile can’t be held back as she watches the map rise towards her goddess.

“Yes, of course.” Wessex is quick to agree, though she still thinks it through. Sisters? Well, she doesn’t have any sisters yet, just one competent and two half-wit brothers. Maybe she should ask for a sister, the way a little girl might, cause she’s sick of stupid boys. “Will you be able to see it through our eyes in real time, or is it something you have to… collect from us later?” Download. Except she doesn’t know that word. There’s no concept of plugging in in Caido, though they’ve surely already seen the wires required for that.

“And the Fae? Is there any way to evade them while doing this?” Deimos had said Amalia was missing - potentially captured by the Fae. If a shifter can’t avoid being caught by blending in with real animals, she isn’t brash enough to think her speed would be able to shake them either.

Wessex takes the map back, tucking it away. She’d have to go with everyone, she decides, because she sure as hell won’t entrust the map to someone else. Unless - unless they can make a copy. But how the fuck would they even begin to do that?

WESSEX
unsex me here

Change author:
the Voice
The Voice smiled knowlingly, hearing well the thoughts that flickered through Wessex's mind. "Growing our cause will be imperative to our future," she mused. "Unfortunately, there are very few of those within the barrier or without who wish to become bright." A flicker of sadness seemed to pass across her face at that. A shame, truly. But they could still make their mark. Slowly, steadily.

"I will be able to see what you see, bright one," she assured Wessex. "Merely explore. Track the locations on this map, and I will be there with you." Her smile turned wry at the mention of the Fae. "Unfortunately not. It has been a long time since I was able to engage with the rest of Caido. I do not know the machinations of the Fae."

Wessex has received a god quest!
Once the Ascended have explored all areas of the Greatwood, it will be complete.
(All characters do not have to explore all areas. E.g. If Wessex explores 7 boards and Lucas explores the rest, this will fulfil the requirement).
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

“I’ll make exploration a priority,” she replies with a nod and a smile. It is good to have a purpose again, a reason to propel for forward. Life was self-explanatory when she was human: she had her family to take care of, food to gather, a house to keep in order, et cetera, et cetera… now that she technically needs none of those things, Wessex’s free time has grown exponentially. And sometimes she runs out of ways to fill it.

“As for the general population…” her lip curls ever so slightly at the thought of most of them. “My immediate thought is ’their loss,’ but of course that doesn’t help us. A soft, dry chuckle. “I’ll keep a lookout for any with potential. It’s a shame about Aedion and the Spire… I rather liked him.” And here she pauses for a moment, eyes downcast, an unusual moment of struggle clearly writ across her body. “You were freed either way, so I don’t think it ultimately matters, and worrying about ‘what if’s’ is pointless, but some part of me still feels guilty for not entering the Spire. It means I’m here and able to continue your work, but I wonder if I could have saved one of them…”

Her voice trails off and to be honest, she’s not sure she wants an answer about it. Maybe just a sympathetic ear from someone who might understand the loss, the struggle with toeing the line between self-preservation and bravery. Bravery without common sense is stupid and can lead to death, which is an utter waste of the second - no, third life she’s been given. But does this caution make her… less effective? Less of a leader? Can the few Ascended left even be lead?

Anyway. Maybe she’s just not ready to go yet, but the blonde woman has one more question inside her. “Are you enjoying freedom? What does it… mean, for you? As a deity?” Is she more powerful? How does she spend her time?

WESSEX
unsex me here

Change author:
the Voice
She nodded and dipped her head as a show of thanks, not that she needed to. As Wessex spoke of her fellow Ascended, however, she held up a hand as if to halt her from speaking further. "They were but children in a cause much bigger than them," she said softly. "That they entered the Spire before they were truly ready was a folly that I will carry with me for always." She did not mention 108, however. Their sacrifice had been everything, and the deity did not take it lightly.

Wessex question, drew a smile from the Voice, one that seemed much older and much less kind than her youthful disposition would suggest. "I am enjoying it thoroughly, bright one," she assured her. "What it means for me I am not yet in a position to say, lest the walls be listening. But once you have explored those woods thoroughly... then, perhaps, the way will be clearer for you."
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

Her words land and in a way, Wessex is comforted. She doesn’t need comfort in the traditional way, but knowing that her thoughts align with her Lady’s regarding the death of her faux-siblings is something, at least. She imagines they are not the kind of beings that need their hands held all that often. But when they do… well, it’s nice to not be turned away. Even the monsters that growl in the night need the occasional cuddle from their monster mother.

She cracks a smile and quips back with a slightly raised brow. “That’s a dismissal if I ever heard one.” Rising to her feet, Wessex brushes off any dirt or dust she may have accumulated whilst kneeling and muses in the process, “I trust Lucas about as far as I can throw him, but he does come in handy for things like this.” But really, they need others to Ascend. The rest of ‘em are fucking useless.

“Always a pleasure, Lady. See you soon.” Wessex offers the image a short bow and then sees herself out, with a promise of the good little soldier’s return.

WESSEX
unsex me here