Branching Out
for Ronin
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5225
"An excellent point," Jigano agreed wryly to Ronin's tendency to put himself in harm's way. The bard barely knew the man and he already knew that! They managed to get the branch repositioned for another blow while they continued their upbeat chatting - and the bard had to admit, it was rather nice to be on an adventure with someone who could keep up their end of some cheerful banter. Edy was his usual companion for trouble adventure and wordplay (there was a sly bit of innuendo in there about how she had a clever tongue, but he decided to save that for her, knowing how she would appreciate it), but he needed a branch from a tree today, not a pile of smoldering ashes. And besides, it was good to branch out once in awhile, and improve relations with the Monster Hunter's Guild!

None of which mattered a moment later as his axe didn't quite do its job - or rather, his muscles didn't - and he was forced to retreat from the Wicker Woman's grasp. Either the tree was smarter than he thought, or else he was doing enough damage to the original branch that the vile vegetation had needed to lash out with an unharmed limb to try and catch its dinner. That thought was as reassuring as the previous one had been the opposite, and though he was normally inclined to pessimism, Ronin's bright encouragement shifted his mood towards the hopeful.

Isuma peeped her support as well, though she was smart enough to stay well back from the action as he sent his raven back to its circling taunting of the nearest unwounded branch, keeping it distracted with divebombs and strafing runs while Jigano nodded briefly to Ronin and dodged back in to the fray. Words could wait until they were safely out of the tricky tree's reach!

This time his blow - not his finest nor his strongest, but enough to clear the last few inches of straining grain - landed true and then through, severing the length of branch with a sudden release of tension for poor Ronin even as the bard and his animal entourage scampered gratefully away from the wicked Wicker Woman. Sap splashed up as the bark parted, but the bard's gloves protected him from the splatter as he laughed breathlessly and went to join his fellow Guildmaster. "Well! I wood-n't want to do that again anytime soon, but I'd say we went barking up the right tree this time!" he declared, blue eyes twinkling slyly to see what Ronin would think of the victory-puns.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Online
Change author:
MP: 3081
As with most things involving adrenaline, it happened quickly. One moment Ronin was glancing up, fleeting and worried, at the sight of the entire tree apparently coming to life to try and prevent their capture of one of its branches. The next, Jigano struck true if not swiftly, and the tension that the ex-captain had been using as a counter-weight disappeared.

Naturally, it sent him rocketing back and stumbling into a (thankfully not carnivorous) tree, Ronin breathing heavily and left holding a branch around which was wrapped their prize. "I daresay we managed to get to the root of the problem quick enough, too!" He panted, grinning back at Jigano and tipping the bard a wink as he straightened up, offering out the entwined branches. "I'd recommend not touching the one belonging to the Wicker Woman even now," he said. "No idea if it can still do its... thing."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5225
He should have warned Ronin, he realized belatedly. Then again, the captain had been the one who had told him to hit, so he didn't feel too bad when he realized his companion had gone stumbling back as the branch was released from its parent tree. Admonishing his raven - and Isuma - to keep a wary eye behind them in case the Wicker Woman could reach further than they thought, he approached the demigod with a triumphant grin that dissolved to laughter as his puns were met and matched!

"A good thing, since taunting a Wicker Woman risks life and limb," he agreed, positively beaming to find a fellow punster. He took the branch that Ronin had used as bait gingerly from the other man's grasp, nodding sober agreement that he should wait awhile before handling the cut end of Ludo's request. "I think once it dries we should be alright. But until then, as long as the sap is wet, my guess is that it's still dangerous." Isuma had climbed on top of a broken stump, and Jigano stepped close enough for her to make a leap for his shoulder, trying not to wince as a soft wing buffeted the back of his head. She cheeped an apology as she settled back into position, and the raven rejoined them a moment later, cawing quietly to itself as the bard sent a request for it to lead them out of the Wood once more. "Thank you again, friend, for all your help with this! Will you let me tree-t you to a drink when we get back to the Settlement?"
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Online
Change author:
MP: 3081
Back on his feet and balanced enough not to go toppling back into the trees, Ronin's laughter echoed about the woods with Jigano's, the hunter pleased to see their task complete with minimal complications. Sugar even trilled her agreement, tucking her head beneath Ronin's chin to peep out at the bard and gryphlet with big and curious eyes.

"Well, once it dries and you can carry it about more easily, I do hope it gets you what you need." He nodded to Jigano, still smiling broadly and turning to begin strolling back through the trees, following the path that the raven was making for them. "I certainly wouldn't say no to a drink!" He grinned over his shoulder. "Though I think we ought to leaf this part of the forest well enough alone from now on, don't you?"

With puns made and celebration promised, Ronin's step was light as they headed back through the Greatwood.

{END}